Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #16591
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyMyBoy View Post
After nearly 2 months of waiting for the weather to warm up a bit and for things at work to calm down following Easter, yesterday I finally brought home my 2012 Tiger 800XC. Have put about 70 miles on it so far.

Am a longtime Honda rider: GL1800 and then ST1300 most recently. Due to work, family, and health issues, no bike for the past 2 years, and this is my long overdue step of getting involved in one of my greatest interests and passions.

Have probably taken about 5 demo rides on the T800 since its release. Always marveled at its comfortable ergos, power, and fun factor.

So as of now, day 2 of ownership, I wish I had held off on the purchase. During the past few weeks I've followed the news reports and ADVrider thread regarding the Honda CB1100. I'm right in the demographic that Honda is aiming for -- 50 years old, grew up on Honda, always admired the CB750, and during the 1980's had a few smaller 4 cylinder Hondas. Then 2 GL's, then the ST. As soon as I pulled in the garage last night and stepped back from the Tiger, I just began to feel buyers remorse. Kept walking around it to get a really exciting angle for a photo, or just to admire it. Most angles not as exciting as in the dealer showroom! So today I went to a nearby Honda dealer, on the Tiger, and was actually able to demo a CB1100. Believe it or not I was pulled over by a motor cop during the demo for cutting into the other lane of traffic to merge toward an exit. It was one of those situations where I waited until the last possible minute to merge. He let me go with a stern warning.

I loved the ride on the CB. Smooth, smooth power, and an entire experience that just took me back in time 30 years. The sound, the smell, the feel, everything. And staring at it in the sun after the ride felt the same way. Would have much preferred to ride that home instead of my brand spanking new Tiger.

My wife is not going to be too happy about me trading this bike in any time soon!! Any one else ever have an experience like this? Any wise counsel? My present plan is to enjoy the Tiger for the season ahead, and likely trade in for the Honda next spring. I also have a 30+ year relationship with the Honda dealer, so would hopefully get a minimum of a spanking on the trade. Heck, maybe it will even be blue in 2014, the color of my first 3 Hondas way back when.

Wonder what my therapist would say about all of this! Hah! I love the hunt for new bikes, and confess that oftentimes the anticipation of owning one is much more exciting than the reality of it being in my garage. Even still, that CB1100 is all I can think of right now.

Thanks.
If money is not the concern (only the wife), I would trade it in today. After all, why wait for what you really want when you know what you really want now? You happier probably means your wife will be happier too... Loss on trade in: 1-2K; CB1100: 10,000; riding the bike you really want: priceless.

But if you are not sure, well, the 800XC is a great bike, enjoy it for a while and re-evaluate. BTW, looking at your last two bikes, the 800XC certainly doesn't belong in there (what is the different object among those three?). Well, not like the CB100 fit in there either... So what was the reason you went with the Tiger XC? If you had some ideas about adventures, perhaps you should keep the Tiger and take it on adventures this year, explore new possibilities. Then re-evaluate. And if at that future time the CB1100 is still calling your name, well, it will still be there next year, then you go for it then.

Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 04:26 PM
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #16592
HelmetHead Cycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Top speed

Anybody know what the 800 will do? Just curious.
HelmetHead Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #16593
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,818
Enough ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #16594
cug
--

Or more precise, this might help:

Old 04-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #16595
HelmetHead Cycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
So about 125 mph. That's fast enough!
HelmetHead Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #16596
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyMyBoy View Post
So as of now, day 2 of ownership, I wish I had held off on the purchase. During the past few weeks I've followed the news reports and ADVrider thread regarding the Honda CB1100. I'm right in the demographic that Honda is aiming for -- 50 years old, grew up on Honda, always admired the CB750, and during the 1980's had a few smaller 4 cylinder Hondas. Then 2 GL's, then the ST. As soon as I pulled in the garage last night and stepped back from the Tiger, I just began to feel buyers remorse.
From my experience, the bike that fits the ride, will get more use.

At one point I had a '98 Thunderbird Sport, '01 VFR800 and a '99 KLR650.

The KLR, was slow and ugly, the other 2 bikes where fast (ish, okay a '99 ZX9r and '03 FJR1300 are my benchmarks) and pretty.

But I always rode the KLR, it had luggage, it was comfortable, and got the job done. Yeah, the VFR was decent, but for my knees, the KLR ruled!! And yeah, I had a Sargent seat on the KLR.

So, the only real complaint I had with the KLR was the suspension and engine. So, sold all three and got a Tiger 800XC. With the seat in the upper position, I am good for 600-700 mile days in perfect comfort.

So, as I much as I agree, the new CB1000 is a sexy beast. The Tiger with luggage would not be replaced by it.

For me, the CB1100 would be good for 30-100 mile runs, the Tiger will get my arse to Alaska and back in comfort.

So it just depends on what riding you intend to do.

Don't get me wrong, I miss the TBS, even get to see it once in a while, a friend bought it, but, I've got single bike that works for what I want to do.

In your position, I would keep the Tiger for a little while, and just see if you fall in love with it. The Tiger is the 4th triple I've owned, in fact I put 26,000 miles on a '01 Sprint ST, before it was taken away from me in its prime. And after break-in, you might be surprised how much you love it.

Let us know what you decide to do. But, in any case, ride safe.
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #16597
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 722
Cb1100

I've had my fair share of in line fours, all Hondas except my present FJR1300. My T800XC blows me away every time I get on it, the fours are just buzzy. I would stay with the triple until you get it broke in and a good feel for the smooth power and acceleration it has. It also opens up roads you would just turn around on if you were on the CB1100.
XCRider803 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #16598
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
110/80-19? How tight do they fit at the rear? I have some clearance concerns since the shop glued in the fender extender and it's awfully close to the tire (the original 100/90-19 Scorpion).
I'm on my second rear for the PR3. Fitment on the front is not a problem, and the tire is awesome. One thing I did notice is that my Garmin GPS indicates about 8 km/hour less then the speedometer does. Anyone else have that issue, or is it just that the circumference of the PR3 is smaller? The same GPS in my truck indicates almost identical with the truck speedometer. Are the GPS units considered to be fairly reliable speed wise?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #16599
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Speedo's usually register a higher speed than actual, the GPS should be the correct speed. Sounds perfectly normal to me, regardless of tire.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #16600
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoneRider View Post

In your position, I would keep the Tiger for a little while, and just see if you fall in love with it. The Tiger is the 4th triple I've owned, in fact I put 26,000 miles on a '01 Sprint ST, before it was taken away from me in its prime. And after break-in, you might be surprised how much you love it.

Let us know what you decide to do. But, in any case, ride safe.
I feel your buyer's remorse, but I have to agree with TxLoneRider. Try the bike for a while. I never understood the nostalgia thing. The memories you make with a bike is what counts. I have no desire to ride a bike that looks like something I rode 30 years ago. I had a 1985 Honda 750 Nighthawk S that I bought new, shipped to Europe and rode over there, honeymooned on it, got my first knee down on it, etc. Lots of memories and a great bike, but I wouldn't want it back again. I have a Tiger 800 to make new memories with, and that is what counts to me. The bike is just a tool to make those memories with. YMMV. I think once you ride the Tiger you'll like it and love it. Having said that if you're really sure you don't want the Tiger better to trade it while you have almost no mileage on it. All the best with a tough decision.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #16601
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
Speedo's usually register a higher speed than actual, the GPS should be the correct speed. Sounds perfectly normal to me, regardless of tire.
Thanks, good to know. Should help a little to keep speeding tickets to a minimum.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #16602
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
I feel your buyer's remorse, but I have to agree with TxLoneRider. Try the bike for a while. I never understood the nostalgia thing. The memories you make with a bike is what counts. I have no desire to ride a bike that looks like something I rode 30 years ago. I had a 1985 Honda 750 Nighthawk S that I bought new, shipped to Europe and rode over there, honeymooned on it, got my first knee down on it, etc. Lots of memories and a great bike, but I wouldn't want it back again. I have a Tiger 800 to make new memories with, and that is what counts to me. The bike is just a tool to make those memories with. YMMV. I think once you ride the Tiger you'll like it and love it. Having said that if you're really sure you don't want the Tiger better to trade it while you have almost no mileage on it. All the best with a tough decision.
Very well said Marloweluke!

Yeah, for me the VFR800 was a complete nostalgia purchase. When I had the 01' Sprint ST, a friend had a '00 VFR800, and another friend had an '01. I rode the '00 back to back with the Sprint ST, and had fond memories. So 9'ish years later I had the opportunity to get the VFR800 that I thought I wanted, in the year or 2 I owned it I put under 1000 miles on it, while 12,000+ miles on the KLR, go figure.

cheers,
tom
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #16603
orv
Busted butt

Oddometer: 442
Maybe you are in a rut and Like it!

Been riding my 12 800 XC. I have a Honda Blackbird and a BMW K1200 LT. My wife used to ride with me on the LT. She now doesn't. It sits. The Blackbird is still a thrill a second, but it sits. I ride the XC. There is not a single road the other two have taken me down that the XC won't also take. There are a bunch of roads the XC will take the others wouldn't survive on. When I had KLR's, and GS's they got ridden; the others sat. I like Hondas a bunch, but if you strip away the hype, IMO the new/old CB1100 is a clunker. An antique with very low miles.

But then, that must be something you enjoy. I'd make the swap immediately, just know that you are giving up a very special bike with a very special motor that could have taken you to places you apparently haven't even dreamed about. Some think a bike is about adventure. Some don't.

Without expecting an answer, I'll still ask: Why the hell did you buy the XC????

Ride what you like; whatever it may be.

orv screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 10:13 PM
orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #16604
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmetHead Cycle View Post
So about 125 mph. That's fast enough!
Told ya ...
Old 04-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #16605
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 638
I would trade the therapist for the CB1100, but I have no clue what a good second hand therapist is worth
burgerking is online now   Reply With Quote