Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Much as Cug and I go back and forth on this stuff
What???? Never happens ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #16997
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer: 352
To paraphrase a great movie line, "I shit bigger than that"...sorta fits some of the extremes people go to and only save a pound or two! Take a before you ride!

Cheers!
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #16998
eram310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Convinced,
Before I go for an aftermarket can, I will spend the money on a better seat and maybe even upgrade the suspension. I ride with earplugs anyway.

Quote:
Much as Cug and I go back and forth on this stuff, I'm kind of in this camp as well.

These are not lightweight offroad race bikes. Shaving a few pounds off with an aftermarket can just isn't gonna do much. Then we turn around and add a bunch more back on with racks, guards, and GEAR. The bike is what it is, just set it up for the riding you want to do and ride it.

Guys will spend all manner of stupid money on the dualsports too - they go round and round on the Husqvarna forum and threads. Lighterweight exhaust, lighter battery (shorai) this billet bit and that, and in the end you're talking maybe 5 to 7% of the total weight of the bike, then install an oversize tank or auxilliary and add 15lbs of fuel weight. Then pile on gear, fill up your hydration pack, and put on 10lbs of boots. The thing is a pig from the get-go, it's no lightweight racebike. No matter what you do it's just not gonna get there, was never intended to be.

Personally I think a better investment is on conditioning and strength building if you're really concerned about handling and performance gains. Again, if you were setting up a race bike then every bit counts. That's just not the case for 99.9% of us.

Don't get me wrong, I really like aftermarket exhaust - have had one on virtually every bike I've owned. I like the way they sound.

The aftermarket parts industry just LOVES us. LOL.
eram310 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #16999
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by eram310 View Post
Convinced,
Before I go for an aftermarket can, I will spend the money on a better seat and maybe even upgrade the suspension. I ride with earplugs anyway.

LOL. I've been riding with a ipod lately. For hiway cruising it passes the miles.

Be it wind roar or exhaust roar, it all gets fatiguing afterwhile.

I got a LV when I first got my bike. I must have tinkered around for about 4 hours trying to make it fit with the Happy Trails pannier racks. No way. Had to send it back and live with the stock muffler. Afterwhile you begin to forget about it and concentrate on other things, like travel and gear.

Then one of our adv wizards came up with a bracket mod for the racks so there's now room for a Leo Vince headpipe. And I just gotta cough up the dough for it (again!).

Should I cut it off square or leave it angled to match the frame rail?

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #17000
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
LOL. I've been riding with a ipod lately. For hiway cruising it passes the miles.

Snippage...
If it were me, which it isn't, I'd trim it back some and match the frame rail, squared off would look kinda tacked on...IMHO. Nice work tho!

Another thought ocurred to me, tho it would require a whole new piece...roll the end near the frame down a half inch or so, so that it aligns next to the frame. That way, if you ever drop the bike and that piece gets pushed towards the frame, it would distribute the force over a larger area, less likelihood of frame damage.
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #17001
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
There are a LOT of very happy owners with either version of the Leo Vince can, either the stainless one (about $250) or the carbon fiber one (about $350). The db insert can be trimmed back inside for a nice bark while still remaining reasonably quiet. I haven't heard of anyone re-mapping for one either. Can't comment on effect on mileage, but how hard you twist or how fast you go seems to have the most.

Spark arrestor is an additional option and suggested if you ride USFS roads.

Aram will give you a good price on either model: www.solomotoparts.com
Email them for a ADV price, refered by Chris Brown. Doesn't hurt to ask.

BTW, have seen (heard) a few with the Arrow and in my opinion it's way too quiet.
I have not ridden one though, so cannot comment on performance, or sound going down the road.
I am going to have them change my Arrow map back to the stock map and see if there is any change. I plan to do this on Tuesday. I will see how it feels and report back. If the tune blows, I'll go back to the dealer and have them reinstall the Arrow map.

I know I could do this on my own with software, but I am on a Mac and I don't have the cable either.

Will let you all know.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #17002
live2ridetahoe
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
Yep.. thats the sound.

Thanks for the replies.

-Brian
I have hear it described as TBDT.

This Bike Does That...

I have heard it is nothing to worry about.

JG
Old 05-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #17003
live2ridetahoe
RN

Quote:

I got a LV when I first got my bike. I must have tinkered around for about 4 hours trying to make it fit with the Happy Trails pannier racks. No way. Had to send it back and live with the stock muffler. Afterwhile you begin to forget about it and concentrate on other things, like travel and gear.

Then one of our adv wizards came up with a bracket mod for the racks so there's now room for a Leo Vince headpipe. And I just gotta cough up the dough for it (again!).

As long as you powdercoat it black, who cares!! BTW, sent the cat cover and silencer cover in while you are at it. Should have been PC black from the start.

IMHO

JG
Old 05-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #17004
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 453
Pipes...

I run LV carbon pipe (it was on the bike when I bought it...) so that I can drop weight and increase fuel milage so that my bike gets better milage than my car.

Nah, I just like the way it sounds. Had a Termi pipe on the Ducati and loved that. A bikes character is a critical element for overall enjoyment and sound adds to the bikes' character.
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:00 AM   #17005
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
I am going to have them change my Arrow map back to the stock map and see if there is any change. I plan to do this on Tuesday. I will see how it feels and report back. If the tune blows, I'll go back to the dealer and have them reinstall the Arrow map.

I know I could do this on my own with software, but I am on a Mac and I don't have the cable either.

Will let you all know.

JG
will the dealer put a stock tune on a bike with arrow exhaust???? Maybe not.....
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #17006
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
DIY. Buy a cable, less than 20 euro.

Sent from my Tiger 800
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #17007
bigtallguy
Sasquatch Jr.

Oddometer: 254
Quote:

Why wouldn't it fit? Just asking because I have the HT racks and was looking to buy an aftermarket pipe soon. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #17008
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtallguy View Post
Why wouldn't it fit? Just asking because I have the HT racks and was looking to buy an aftermarket pipe soon. Thanks.

Photos on the previous page. The HT rack front fasten point happens to go exactly where the head pipe passes. The stocker clears by about a quarter inch. The LV headpipe is enough bigger in diameter that it won't clear the bracket of the rack. Hence the home-made piece that moves the connect point up on the passenger peg tube. This leaves enough room for the LV headpipe.

And yes, I'm going to trim my bracket back a little, get the angle to match the frame rail exactly, and paint it black.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #17009
PVRnick
Pennsy Flyer

Oddometer: 173
I heard Happy Trails was working on a solution to the
problem. I sent them pics and info about the fitment issue.
'06 Wee Strom
'95 XR650L
PVRnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #17010
bigtallguy
Sasquatch Jr.

Oddometer: 254
Got it. I actually had to trim the HT bracket, and about 1/4" off the bolts with the stock pipe when I installed mine. I sent pictures and all but never got a response back from them. On the HT website, it mentions LV and Arrow specifically, but I wonder about other brands too so I e-mailed them to ask...