ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > British Beasts: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 05:11 AM   #17026
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Tiger never even coughed wrong. Brilliant bike, not tiring, plenty fast, planted and generally best bike I had to the date. Only bike that had no technical problems in our group of 5 bikes.
Come on, spill the beans. What were the other bikes and what went wrong?
__________________
3 - 1 black Tigers. 955i+800XC (sold)+800XC=113000 miles of fun.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:15 AM   #17027
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by opjocephus View Post
I'm looking for a motorcycle cover to take on trips. Not a full cover. Something that covers seat and instruments. Anyone here using something already?
A plain old builders Tarp. Most have eyelets around the edges to tie it down and they're dirt cheap. e.g. http://www.uktarps.com/tarpaulin/eco...-x-36m-cgb2736 or http://www.uktarps.com/tarpaulin/tou...olive-ttt2030g
__________________
3 - 1 black Tigers. 955i+800XC (sold)+800XC=113000 miles of fun.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #17028
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Come on, spill the beans. What were the other bikes and what went wrong?
OK :)

BMW venerable old F650GS non-Dakar. Badly serviced, started with refusing to react to throttle correctly until battery was changed to new, then rear sprocket wore out so much chain dropped off on highway - and guess what? BMW dealers don't stock sprockets or complete kits. Fortunately owner found one proper mech in Zaragoza in Spain - true enthusiast. That guy had chain kit waiting by time F650 arrived. Fortunately it fell onto rear hub and did not block wheel. In fairness - same bike crashed later taking wrong curve at tight corner and did not get anything broken, just scuffs and handguards I installed for him earlier saved levers.
Tenere 660 (new) - RR contacts burned and it stopped charging resulting in sudden stop on highway on way back home. Fixed quickly. Plus it was 2 up and was incredibly anemic.
KTM690 supermoto, the very first model, still "true" austrian build - this one was one abused bike and one crazy and fast rider. Lots of things wrong with bike but it never stopped, always went well. Engine are brilliant. Rear suspension lower shock bearing locked up, lots of water easily gets to suspension, various bits and pieces mostly because of that bike have hard life. Rear master cylinder link rusts like hell. Couple of bolts vibrated off. TPS needs calibration almost every day (sensor not OK, but it just needs throttle on-off before start, simple really). Clutch slipping at high rpms. But very little mileage for state it is in. But it crashes well - almost nothing breaks. Impressive bike. I like it more than new 690s. 12 liter tank made frequent refuels needed.
Transalp 600...now...where do I start. Fully serviced and engine refreshed professionally. Pushing oil into airbox so much, it soaked filter in oil and bike stopped reacting to throttle properly. We had to wash filter and pull breather out of airbox and attach empty cola bottle to breather tube. Biggest problem was that it handles like spaghetti in water. Not first time I hear it and I rode exactly same one a lot when repaired one for friend. True, push it just a bit - and it loses composure. Rubber dampers on handlebar mounts make it worse. So much, that rider swore to just get home and sell damn thing.

That's about it. KTM now in my garage, I promised owner (my good friend) to fix thing that are wrong with that poor hard ridden thing, so that it will be back to it's glorious abilities.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #17029
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,604
So in summation, basically a bunch of ill maintained bikes had problems that they most likely never would have encountered had they been properly maintained. Not the most glowing report of the Tigers reliability but just showing what happens when you don't do simple regular maintenance. Glad YOU had a good ride.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #17030
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,355
Tenere was almost new and religiously maintained. Transalp was not just maintained exceptionally well, it was fully revised and engine got top end done and broken in before ride. And it was old but low mileage bike. KTM was badly maintained low mileage bike but rear suspension had problems because of improper design of sealing linkages against water, not because of maintenance. Rest was maintenance problems. BMW - that one was badly maintained all way round.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #17031
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwoodward's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pacific NorthWet, Napa Valley North
Oddometer: 5,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
*tip, pull your headlight/taillight fuses when moving roms around as it can take a while and you don't want your voltage falling below the threshold while you're moving a rom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
+1
+ $75 + loading bike into pickup to haul to dealer + 2 hours of my time + getting nagged at by tech for messing with things they think I shouldn't.

Tip: When you first see 'Upload Failed', STOP F***ING WITH IT; if you proceed, it may brick the ECU badly enough that the dealership can't even recover it. Then add about $1300 and several weeks to the above plusses while they order you a new one.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #17032
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwoodward's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pacific NorthWet, Napa Valley North
Oddometer: 5,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtallguy View Post
Got an e-mail back from Happy Trails today about the racks and aftermarket exhaust issues. They said basically they've only been able to try them out with LV and Arrow, but it's safe to assume there would be issues with others also.

They will happily sell previous customers the re-designed bracket if you need it though.
That's "customer service"?
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #17033
elan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
+ $75 + loading bike into pickup to haul to dealer + 2 hours of my time + getting nagged at by tech for messing with things they think I shouldn't.

Tip: When you first see 'Upload Failed', STOP F***ING WITH IT; if you proceed, it may brick the ECU badly enough that the dealership can't even recover it. Then add about $1300 and several weeks to the above plusses while they order you a new one.
Any idea why your upload failed?
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:50 AM   #17034
bigtallguy
Sasquatch Jr.
 
bigtallguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Jackson, MS
Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
That's "customer service"?
I thought the same thing when I read it. I like the racks so I'm just hoping it's a cheap upgrade when they get it done.
__________________
Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.
bigtallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #17035
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwoodward's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pacific NorthWet, Napa Valley North
Oddometer: 5,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Any idea why your upload failed?
I'm guessing the afore-mentioned concern with the bike's battery being fully charged. I had done it once before with no problems- but I'd pulled the headlight fuse and had the bike on a battery tender. The second time I figured it was charged up enough, was in a bit of a hurry, and just went at it.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #17036
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 6,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
That's "customer service"?
This is my point with these people. I would only ever deal with them if I absolutely had to. I had several email exchanges with them last July when I got my bike and their stupid rack wouldn't fit on with a LV can. Of course the racks took priority so the can got returned.

Basically their reply was that they were too busy because it was summer, the height of their business, and probably wouldn't get to visit the issue for some time, if ever. That was a kiss-off if I ever heard one.

They are good racks, sturdy, well finished, but the left side sticking out and the stupid back crossbar are horribly designed. Not to mention the fastening point that interferes with the muffler inlet pipe - inexcusable IMO.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #17037
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger
 
fullmonte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Oddometer: 5,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtallguy View Post
I thought the same thing when I read it. I like the racks so I'm just hoping it's a cheap upgrade when they get it done.
I got tired of waiting around too, since I already had the pipe.
__________________
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #17038
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
This is my point with these people. I would only ever deal with them if I absolutely had to. I had several email exchanges with them last July when I got my bike and their stupid rack wouldn't fit on with a LV can. Of course the racks took priority so the can got returned.

Basically their reply was that they were too busy because it was summer, the height of their business, and probably wouldn't get to visit the issue for some time, if ever. That was a kiss-off if I ever heard one.

They are good racks, sturdy, well finished, but the left side sticking out and the stupid back crossbar are horribly designed. Not to mention the fastening point that interferes with the muffler inlet pipe - inexcusable IMO.
How is that a kiss off? Sounds like they were being honest with you. They built a rack to fit a Triumph Tiger, which it does. Do you expect a supplier to know about and stock every possible aftermarket accessory that *might* get bolted onto a bike? You don't like the cross bar? Don't buy their racks.

Do any of you complaining own a small business? Cut them some slack, it's not like you bought their racks and they didn't fit your bike. They were honest and told you they couldn't look at the issue "when you wanted them to". And how many people are actually running that pipe on that bike that are affected? I think I've read about three!

STOP THE FREAKING ASSEMBLY LINE! Browneye's aftermarket pipe won't fit. Forget about all the regular orders we have to fill, let's get this fixed for him now.

Or you could be a little inventive and make a nice bracket like several inmates have done. And as for that left hand side sticking out, my tool tube fits in there perfect. Crap I should have got on the Internet and complained about that instead of just using it to my advantage.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #17039
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
How is that a kiss off? Sounds like they were being honest with you. They built a rack to fit a Triumph Tiger, which it does. Do you expect a supplier to know about and stock every possible aftermarket accessory that *might* get bolted onto a bike? You don't like the cross bar? Don't buy their racks.

Do any of you complaining own a small business? Cut them some slack, it's not like you bought their racks and they didn't fit your bike. They were honest and told you they couldn't look at the issue "when you wanted them to". And how many people are actually running that pipe on that bike that are affected? I think I've read about three!

STOP THE FREAKING ASSEMBLY LINE! Browneye's aftermarket pipe won't fit. Forget about all the regular orders we have to fill, let's get this fixed for him now.

Or you could be a little inventive and make a nice bracket like several inmates have done. And as for that left hand side sticking out, my tool tube fits in there perfect. Crap I should have got on the Internet and complained about that instead of just using it to my advantage.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #17040
bigtallguy
Sasquatch Jr.
 
bigtallguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Jackson, MS
Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
How is that a kiss off? Sounds like they were being honest with you. They built a rack to fit a Triumph Tiger, which it does. Do you expect a supplier to know about and stock every possible aftermarket accessory that *might* get bolted onto a bike? You don't like the cross bar? Don't buy their racks.

Do any of you complaining own a small business? Cut them some slack, it's not like you bought their racks and they didn't fit your bike. They were honest and told you they couldn't look at the issue "when you wanted them to". And how many people are actually running that pipe on that bike that are affected? I think I've read about three!

STOP THE FREAKING ASSEMBLY LINE! Browneye's aftermarket pipe won't fit. Forget about all the regular orders we have to fill, let's get this fixed for him now.

Or you could be a little inventive and make a nice bracket like several inmates have done. And as for that left hand side sticking out, my tool tube fits in there perfect. Crap I should have got on the Internet and complained about that instead of just using it to my advantage.
I think if a company wants our hard earned money, they should at least pretend to care if we have problems. The "life is tough, suck it up" attitude has no place in customer service.

I actually had to modify the bracket they sent to fit with the stock pipe. It's really not a good place for the attachment point. ("Why don't we attach it here, where there's the least amount of clearance between the pipe and foot peg. Yay!") It's not a huge problem with stock stuff, but the lack of foresight saddened me because overall, it is a well built rack.

I also hoped they would offer the new bracket to existing customers for free + shipping costs, but that's just me and I don't have to pay their bills.
__________________
Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.
bigtallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015