Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #17026
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,237
the triumph skid plate holds up pretty well! i may see if someone can add a little reinforcing ribs to the bottom. i'm thinking of adding a little lip to protect the bottom of the suspension as well. i'm going to polish it up and maybe paint it too. i've got the forks off for rebuild so, since the bike can't move, i'm tearing everything apart to upgrade/make look nice again. its got a few dings, but overall i'm happy, i wish the mounting points were better! but nothing i can do about that. this is 15,000 miles and a good amount of bashing off road.
i just changed my oil so that's where the black dirt comes from...

a good rock ding to the front! it took some threads from the end of the mounting bolt too.

another dent/ ding to the center.

fbj913 screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 09:33 AM
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #17027
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,237
The forks came off just as easy as any other bike. the top caps were not tight at all. i was able to hold the main fork body in my hand and undo the cap. i opened them a little and drained to fluid for shipping (one seal was leaking so i didn't want to make UPS nervous). i drained them into an old protein bottle i had laying around. for those of you that want to change fluid, it would be very easy to do!

fbj913 screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 01:12 PM
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #17028
yepimabiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I appreciate the info .
yepimabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #17029
Wheres_Bob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Greater Range= Less Stress. The nest time someone asks a question that seems dumb try asking more questions to better understand the question rather than saying the question is dumb.
I am on your side. One of the first things I look at in a new bike is range. It may not be a big factor, but it can be a deciding factor. That is how I ended up with an ST1300. Even with the ST's 7.7 gallon tank, I am setting it up with a 5 gallon fuel cell for some extended trips. This cell will also be able to be switched to the T8, although I have not figured out an easy way to do it. I will though. Until I do, I keep a 2.5 and a 5 gallon plastic gas can available to be strapped on the rear seat on some trips. Certainly not as convenient as a cell of bigger tank, but it reduces fuel planning hassles.
Wheres_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #17030
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by orv View Post
Weeeell, IF I had to stretch the tank, I'm sure the mileage on mine would be above 50 mph. Normal hot rodding gets me over 46, but I live at 5400 feet and mostly ride higher. My normal range is about 230 to 240 miles.

Altitude improves mileage. Winter mixture cuts mileage on all vehicles by about 10%. Ethanol sucks in every way. It is not your engine's or the environments friend; but there isn't a corn farmer in the country that isn't driving a new truck!

+1 on altitude = better gas mileage

I put around 12k miles on my Tiger XC in the South (Texas, Arkansas, etc.)....and averaged around 40 mpg. As low as 35 (if I'm really ringing its neck)...as high as 43 mpg.

I just moved to SLC, UT (rode my bike during the move). As soon as I hit high altitude.......I've been consistently getting 48-50 mpg.

Same riding style, etc., but I'm getting approximately 20% better miles/gallon...
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #17031
opjocephus
I'm down, I'm down!

Oddometer: 509
Looking for a half cover

I'm looking for a motorcycle cover to take on trips. Not a full cover. Something that covers seat and instruments. Anyone here using something already?
"Man, there's nothing worse than watching a mouth breather trying to smoke a cigarette." jdrocks
opjocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #17032
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Main reason for changing the OEM exhaust is the weight. My scorpion is 3.6kg lighter oh & sounds better to.

Sent from my Tiger 800
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #17033
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Main reason for changing the OEM exhaust is the weight. My scorpion is 3.6kg lighter oh & sounds better to.
If I couldn't see and hear it, I wouldn't notice the weight difference. Sorry, but I won't feel 2% weight difference there. If you really do, I'm impressed.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #17034
The Toad
Let There Be Light

Oddometer: 1,110
Eh? knock...knock

Ive noticed a strange "knocking" sound on deceleration on my still somewhat new too me Tiger 800.... It only appears between 3800 -3500rpm, under load on deceleration.

"Knocking" might be a bit harsh of a term, but there is a definete "clang" or "(insert sound here)" coming from the front of the engine that appears ONLY under load and on deceleration (see above)... wondering if this is something typical of these bikes, or if I need to investigate ???

thanks,
-Brian
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #17035
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
Ive noticed a strange "knocking" sound on deceleration on my still somewhat new too me Tiger 800.... It only appears between 3800 -3500rpm, under load on deceleration.

"Knocking" might be a bit harsh of a term, but there is a definete "clang" or "(insert sound here)" coming from the front of the engine that appears ONLY under load and on deceleration (see above)... wondering if this is something typical of these bikes, or if I need to investigate ???

thanks,
-Brian
pinging sound? Normal. Unburnt fuel entering cat
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #17036
FishrCutB8
Oh HAI!

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
It is a little disconcerting until you see this/get used to it.
FishrCutB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #17037
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
There are a LOT of very happy owners with either version of the Leo Vince can, either the stainless one (about $250) or the carbon fiber one (about $350). The db insert can be trimmed back inside for a nice bark while still remaining reasonably quiet. I haven't heard of anyone re-mapping........

Spark arrestor is an additional option and suggested if you ride USFS roads.

Aram will give you a good price on either model: www.solomotoparts.com
Email them for a ADV price, refered by Chris Brown. Doesn't hurt to ask.

BTW, have seen (heard) a few with the Arrow and in my opinion it's way too quiet.
I have not ridden one though, so cannot comment on performance, or sound going down the road.
I'm running the LV stainless and I did try the Arrow map. Before the Arrow map I got 45-50 mpg, but the pipe seemed a little too quiet. With the Arrow map the LV pipe really put out a nice throaty sound, a bit of a performance gain and no de-acceleration ping....but the mileage dropped below 40 mpg. I put 3-4k miles on with the Arrow map and replaced it with the stock map. The mileage went back up and the pipe seems to have "burnt" in a little, sounds just right with the DB in. I think the stock map may be a little lean for the LV pipe. I'll check the plugs before the hot weather hits.
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:12 AM   #17038
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
If I couldn't see and hear it, I wouldn't notice the weight difference. Sorry, but I won't feel 2% weight difference there. If you really do, I'm impressed.
Most definitely. Don't forget that the weight is not the only factor. The location of the weight, in this case up high, magnifies it. So while as you say it's only 2% weight difference it feels a lot more.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #17039
The Toad
Let There Be Light

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishrCutB8 View Post
It is a little disconcerting until you see this/get used to it.

Yep.. thats the sound.

Thanks for the replies.

-Brian
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #17040
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
So while as you say it's only 2% weight difference it feels a lot more.
Sure, that's why I felt absolutely no difference with the new exhaust installed other than that the noise was pissing me off. Might have eaten a sandwich in the meantime and that did the offset so it was even before and after ...

I don't buy it.