ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #17041
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
pinging sound? Normal. Unburnt fuel entering cat

Yup. I imagine with a more open exhaust it might sound more like a race bike.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #17042
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Sure, that's why I felt absolutely no difference with the new exhaust installed other than that the noise was pissing me off. Might have eaten a sandwich in the meantime and that did the offset so it was even before and after ...

I don't buy it.
Key word

You didn't feel the difference, great. Some others day apparently.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #17043
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Key word

You didn't feel the difference, great. Some others day apparently.
Understood. My opinion is personal. Mine. And I believe that people just feel what they believe they should feel in that case. The human mind is so easily tricked, without some blind testing it's impossible to say.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #17044
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Understood. My opinion is personal. Mine. And I believe that people just feel what they believe they should feel in that case. The human mind is so easily tricked, without some blind testing it's impossible to say.

Much as Cug and I go back and forth on this stuff, I'm kind of in this camp as well.

These are not lightweight offroad race bikes. Shaving a few pounds off with an aftermarket can just isn't gonna do much. Then we turn around and add a bunch more back on with racks, guards, and GEAR. The bike is what it is, just set it up for the riding you want to do and ride it.

Guys will spend all manner of stupid money on the dualsports too - they go round and round on the Husqvarna forum and threads. Lighterweight exhaust, lighter battery (shorai) this billet bit and that, and in the end you're talking maybe 5 to 7% of the total weight of the bike, then install an oversize tank or auxilliary and add 15lbs of fuel weight. Then pile on gear, fill up your hydration pack, and put on 10lbs of boots. The thing is a pig from the get-go, it's no lightweight racebike. No matter what you do it's just not gonna get there, was never intended to be.

Personally I think a better investment is on conditioning and strength building if you're really concerned about handling and performance gains. Again, if you were setting up a race bike then every bit counts. That's just not the case for 99.9% of us.

Don't get me wrong, I really like aftermarket exhaust - have had one on virtually every bike I've owned. I like the way they sound.

The aftermarket parts industry just LOVES us. LOL.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #17045
PVRnick
Pennsy Flyer
 
PVRnick's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: SE Pa
Oddometer: 173
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Much as Cug and I go back and forth on this stuff, I'm kind of in this camp as well.

These are not lightweight offroad race bikes. Shaving a few pounds off with an aftermarket can just isn't gonna do much. Then we turn around and add a bunch more back on with racks, guards, and GEAR. The bike is what it is, just set it up for the riding you want to do and ride it.

Guys will spend all manner of stupid money on the dualsports too - they go round and round on the Husqvarna forum and threads. Lighterweight exhaust, lighter battery (shorai) this billet bit and that, and in the end you're talking maybe 5 to 7% of the total weight of the bike, then install an oversize tank or auxilliary and add 15lbs of fuel weight. Then pile on gear, fill up your hydration pack, and put on 10lbs of boots. The thing is a pig from the get-go, it's no lightweight racebike. No matter what you do it's just not gonna get there, was never intended to be.

Personally I think a better investment is on conditioning and strength building if you're really concerned about handling and performance gains. Again, if you were setting up a race bike then every bit counts. That's just not the case for 99.9% of us.

Don't get me wrong, I really like aftermarket exhaust - have had one on virtually every bike I've owned. I like the way they sound.

The aftermarket parts industry just LOVES us. LOL.


+1 ..... What he Said !
__________________
Keep your Knees in the Breeze
Nick
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC
'06 Wee Strom
'95 XR650L
PVRnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #17046
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Much as Cug and I go back and forth on this stuff
What???? Never happens ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #17047
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced
 
TerraUnFirma's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: North Georgia Mountains...yeah heaven!
Oddometer: 352
To paraphrase a great movie line, "I shit bigger than that"...sorta fits some of the extremes people go to and only save a pound or two! Take a before you ride!

Cheers!
__________________
Tom Stites - Dawsonville, GA -
'11 Triumph Tiger 800XC ABS
'97 BMW R1100RT
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #17048
eram310
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Oddometer: 90
Convinced,
Before I go for an aftermarket can, I will spend the money on a better seat and maybe even upgrade the suspension. I ride with earplugs anyway.




Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Much as Cug and I go back and forth on this stuff, I'm kind of in this camp as well.

These are not lightweight offroad race bikes. Shaving a few pounds off with an aftermarket can just isn't gonna do much. Then we turn around and add a bunch more back on with racks, guards, and GEAR. The bike is what it is, just set it up for the riding you want to do and ride it.

Guys will spend all manner of stupid money on the dualsports too - they go round and round on the Husqvarna forum and threads. Lighterweight exhaust, lighter battery (shorai) this billet bit and that, and in the end you're talking maybe 5 to 7% of the total weight of the bike, then install an oversize tank or auxilliary and add 15lbs of fuel weight. Then pile on gear, fill up your hydration pack, and put on 10lbs of boots. The thing is a pig from the get-go, it's no lightweight racebike. No matter what you do it's just not gonna get there, was never intended to be.

Personally I think a better investment is on conditioning and strength building if you're really concerned about handling and performance gains. Again, if you were setting up a race bike then every bit counts. That's just not the case for 99.9% of us.

Don't get me wrong, I really like aftermarket exhaust - have had one on virtually every bike I've owned. I like the way they sound.

The aftermarket parts industry just LOVES us. LOL.
eram310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #17049
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by eram310 View Post
Convinced,
Before I go for an aftermarket can, I will spend the money on a better seat and maybe even upgrade the suspension. I ride with earplugs anyway.

LOL. I've been riding with a ipod lately. For hiway cruising it passes the miles.

Be it wind roar or exhaust roar, it all gets fatiguing afterwhile.

I got a LV when I first got my bike. I must have tinkered around for about 4 hours trying to make it fit with the Happy Trails pannier racks. No way. Had to send it back and live with the stock muffler. Afterwhile you begin to forget about it and concentrate on other things, like travel and gear.

Then one of our adv wizards came up with a bracket mod for the racks so there's now room for a Leo Vince headpipe. And I just gotta cough up the dough for it (again!).

Should I cut it off square or leave it angled to match the frame rail?





__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #17050
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced
 
TerraUnFirma's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: North Georgia Mountains...yeah heaven!
Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
LOL. I've been riding with a ipod lately. For hiway cruising it passes the miles.

Snippage...
If it were me, which it isn't, I'd trim it back some and match the frame rail, squared off would look kinda tacked on...IMHO. Nice work tho!

Another thought ocurred to me, tho it would require a whole new piece...roll the end near the frame down a half inch or so, so that it aligns next to the frame. That way, if you ever drop the bike and that piece gets pushed towards the frame, it would distribute the force over a larger area, less likelihood of frame damage.
__________________
Tom Stites - Dawsonville, GA -
'11 Triumph Tiger 800XC ABS
'97 BMW R1100RT
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #17051
live2ridetahoe
RN
 
live2ridetahoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Concord, CA
Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
There are a LOT of very happy owners with either version of the Leo Vince can, either the stainless one (about $250) or the carbon fiber one (about $350). The db insert can be trimmed back inside for a nice bark while still remaining reasonably quiet. I haven't heard of anyone re-mapping for one either. Can't comment on effect on mileage, but how hard you twist or how fast you go seems to have the most.

Spark arrestor is an additional option and suggested if you ride USFS roads.

Aram will give you a good price on either model: www.solomotoparts.com
Email them for a ADV price, refered by Chris Brown. Doesn't hurt to ask.

BTW, have seen (heard) a few with the Arrow and in my opinion it's way too quiet.
I have not ridden one though, so cannot comment on performance, or sound going down the road.
I am going to have them change my Arrow map back to the stock map and see if there is any change. I plan to do this on Tuesday. I will see how it feels and report back. If the tune blows, I'll go back to the dealer and have them reinstall the Arrow map.

I know I could do this on my own with software, but I am on a Mac and I don't have the cable either.

Will let you all know.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #17052
live2ridetahoe
RN
 
live2ridetahoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Concord, CA
Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
Yep.. thats the sound.

Thanks for the replies.

-Brian
I have hear it described as TBDT.

This Bike Does That...

I have heard it is nothing to worry about.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #17053
live2ridetahoe
RN
 
live2ridetahoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Concord, CA
Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
LOL. I've been riding with a ipod lately. For hiway cruising it passes the miles.

Be it wind roar or exhaust roar, it all gets fatiguing afterwhile.

I got a LV when I first got my bike. I must have tinkered around for about 4 hours trying to make it fit with the Happy Trails pannier racks. No way. Had to send it back and live with the stock muffler. Afterwhile you begin to forget about it and concentrate on other things, like travel and gear.

Then one of our adv wizards came up with a bracket mod for the racks so there's now room for a Leo Vince headpipe. And I just gotta cough up the dough for it (again!).

Should I cut it off square or leave it angled to match the frame rail?





As long as you powdercoat it black, who cares!! BTW, sent the cat cover and silencer cover in while you are at it. Should have been PC black from the start.

IMHO

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #17054
BryanCO
CO Rider
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Oddometer: 452
Pipes...

I run LV carbon pipe (it was on the bike when I bought it...) so that I can drop weight and increase fuel milage so that my bike gets better milage than my car.

Nah, I just like the way it sounds. Had a Termi pipe on the Ducati and loved that. A bikes character is a critical element for overall enjoyment and sound adds to the bikes' character.
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:00 AM   #17055
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
I am going to have them change my Arrow map back to the stock map and see if there is any change. I plan to do this on Tuesday. I will see how it feels and report back. If the tune blows, I'll go back to the dealer and have them reinstall the Arrow map.

I know I could do this on my own with software, but I am on a Mac and I don't have the cable either.

Will let you all know.

JG
will the dealer put a stock tune on a bike with arrow exhaust???? Maybe not.....
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014