Sent from my Tiger 800
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #17057
bigtallguy
Sasquatch Jr.

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
LOL. I've been riding with a ipod lately. For hiway cruising it passes the miles.

Be it wind roar or exhaust roar, it all gets fatiguing afterwhile.

I got a LV when I first got my bike. I must have tinkered around for about 4 hours trying to make it fit with the Happy Trails pannier racks. No way. Had to send it back and live with the stock muffler. Afterwhile you begin to forget about it and concentrate on other things, like travel and gear.

Then one of our adv wizards came up with a bracket mod for the racks so there's now room for a Leo Vince headpipe. And I just gotta cough up the dough for it (again!).

Should I cut it off square or leave it angled to match the frame rail?
Why wouldn't it fit? Just asking because I have the HT racks and was looking to buy an aftermarket pipe soon. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #17058
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtallguy View Post
Why wouldn't it fit? Just asking because I have the HT racks and was looking to buy an aftermarket pipe soon. Thanks.

Photos on the previous page. The HT rack front fasten point happens to go exactly where the head pipe passes. The stocker clears by about a quarter inch. The LV headpipe is enough bigger in diameter that it won't clear the bracket of the rack. Hence the home-made piece that moves the connect point up on the passenger peg tube. This leaves enough room for the LV headpipe.

And yes, I'm going to trim my bracket back a little, get the angle to match the frame rail exactly, and paint it black.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #17059
PVRnick
Pennsy Flyer

Oddometer: 171
I heard Happy Trails was working on a solution to the
problem. I sent them pics and info about the fitment issue.
'06 Wee Strom
'95 XR650L
PVRnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #17060
bigtallguy
Sasquatch Jr.

Oddometer: 254
Got it. I actually had to trim the HT bracket, and about 1/4" off the bolts with the stock pipe when I installed mine. I sent pictures and all but never got a response back from them. On the HT website, it mentions LV and Arrow specifically, but I wonder about other brands too so I e-mailed them to ask...
Old 05-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #17061
deeno360
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Question for you guys....What are yuor thoughts on paying the few hundred bucks for the extended warranty for the tigger??? I know some of you like Mark have 30,000 miles on them and no real 'issues' were commented....
deeno360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #17062
JCANRUN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeno360 View Post
Question for you guys....What are yuor thoughts on paying the few hundred bucks for the extended warranty for the tigger??? I know some of you like Mark have 30,000 miles on them and no real 'issues' were commented....
I bought an extended warranty for my new 2013 Tiger. I've owned many bikes of all different types and brands and have had a warranty repair(s) with each and everyone including rebuilding an engine under warranty (Harley), leaking cylinders requiring new heads (Victory), various oil leaks and head gasket issues and warped heads (Kawasaki's and Victory's). If you plan on keeping the bike beyond the 2 year factory warranty period, then I would recommend the extended warranty. If you think you'll get rid of the bike before then, then no. My main reason for the extended warranty is for a catastrophic mechanical failure which would be $$$$$ to repair. Little issues can also nickel and dime you to death. (it's always more expensive to repair motorcycles) I'm not hard on my bikes and actually probably over maintain them, but still had issues. Some people never have a problem but I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #17063
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCANRUN View Post
I bought an extended warranty for my new 2013 Tiger. I've owned many bikes of all different types and brands and have had a warranty repair(s) with each and everyone including rebuilding an engine under warranty (Harley), leaking cylinders requiring new heads (Victory), various oil leaks and head gasket issues and warped heads (Kawasaki's and Victory's). If you plan on keeping the bike beyond the 2 year factory warranty period, then I would recommend the extended warranty. If you think you'll get rid of the bike before then, then no. My main reason for the extended warranty is for a catastrophic mechanical failure which would be $$$$$ to repair. Little issues can also nickel and dime you to death. (it's always more expensive to repair motorcycles) I'm not hard on my bikes and actually probably over maintain them, but still had issues. Some people never have a problem but I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones.
I'd have to agree with you. I'm the opposite, I never buy an extended warranty, on a vehicle, electronics, nothing. Have only ever had a DVD player worth about $50 die after a year of use. And with 4 bikes, 2 quads, 2 sleds, two cars I can afford one or two catastrophic failures and still be money ahead vs paying for an extended warranty. I have heard from a few friends in business who absolutely love extended warranties as they are pure profit for the company. Knock on wood but all of our vehicles for the past 20 years have been reliable. Never been left on the side of the road. The tranny did start to go on our Honda Odyssey and it was 20,000 kms out of warranty but Honda took care of it. Just the flip side of the coin.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #17064
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I'd have to agree with you. I'm the opposite, I never buy an extended warranty, on a vehicle, electronics, nothing. Have only ever had a DVD player worth about $50 die after a year of use. And with 4 bikes, 2 quads, 2 sleds, two cars I can afford one or two catastrophic failures and still be money ahead vs paying for an extended warranty. I have heard from a few friends in business who absolutely love extended warranties as they are pure profit for the company. Knock on wood but all of our vehicles for the past 20 years have been reliable. Never been left on the side of the road. The tranny did start to go on our Honda Odyssey and it was 20,000 kms out of warranty but Honda took care of it. Just the flip side of the coin.
^^ This.

I never buy warrantees either, nada, nothin'.
In the past 5 years alone it would be several thousand dollars. I'll take my chances. So far I'm way ahead.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #17065
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
Must be a US thing. Not even a mention of an extended warranty here. Not that I'd pay for one though.

Sent from my Tiger 800
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #17066
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 343
Thumb Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
You should use some all purpose spray lube that does not attract dust as bad as grease. Lube the stepper arm & the throttle roller. The throttle roller is located where the stepper motor arm is going.

I would replace the air filter.
Yesterday, I did maintenance on my TGR PYG-removed the tank, opened the air box and removed the filthy air filter; then removed the air box and cleaned and lubed the stepper arm & the throttle roller. Then put it back together with new air filter and pre-filter. Will replace the tank today and change the oil and oil filter.

I really appreciate inmates posting their pictures and how to information! I am limited with my mechanical skills and knowledge, but go ahead and tackle these chores with the posted information as a guide.

Thank you for this information!
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #17067
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Looks like there is a screw adjust in that mechanism...can I set my idle up a little? It's a little too slow. I find myself holding a little more idle at stop lights and such.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #17068
technikiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Looks like there is a screw adjust in that mechanism...can I set my idle up a little? It's a little too slow. I find myself holding a little more idle at stop lights and such.
Does it stall out if you don't give it throttle? If not I wouldn't sweat it.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #17069
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,377
Quote:
My guess is that the screw is to set the gap correctly. AFAIK the idle speed is controlled by the ECU.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #17070
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by technikiller View Post
Does it stall out if you don't give it throttle? If not I wouldn't sweat it.
Quote:
My guess is that the screw is to set the gap correctly. AFAIK the idle speed is controlled by the ECU.
No, it doesn't stall, it's just quite low. My guess was also that the ecu controlled it, would have to tweak with a programmer.