Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #17086
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
I know it is mostly technical thread, but...
Just back from 2 weeks 6500 km rideout started in Belgium then France-Spain-Portugal and back to Belgium on my XC. Horrid weather half of the time (yes, snow in Spain, 0 degrees and rain, then rain and rain and bit of sunshine).
Tiger never even coughed wrong. Brilliant bike, not tiring, plenty fast, planted and generally best bike I had to the date. Only bike that had no technical problems in our group of 5 bikes.
Riding high speed in curvy road at full gale rain made me appreciate twice all of that endless controllable power and whole package.
I am not so pleased with stock Battlewings on my XC, but to be fair - I did not crash, so they worked. Time for Anakee 3 thou. Specially since I had caught seriously sized hardened screw into rear tyre flattening it almost instantly - ON HIGHWAY! At about 100-110 kmph. Was a bit of scary moment since I was in middle lane, but I stayed upright. BTW - 2 more cars stopped in same "pocket" on highway with same kind of screws in their tyres. I helped them to change wheels while waiting for my friend with help. :)
Just ordered a new pair of Anakee 3s today.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #17087
bigtallguy
Sasquatch Jr.

Oddometer: 254
Got an e-mail back from Happy Trails today about the racks and aftermarket exhaust issues. They said basically they've only been able to try them out with LV and Arrow, but it's safe to assume there would be issues with others also.

They will happily sell previous customers the re-designed bracket if you need it though.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #17088
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by opjocephus View Post
I'm looking for a motorcycle cover to take on trips. Not a full cover. Something that covers seat and instruments. Anyone here using something already?
Have a look at this one, think I'll get one my self

http://www.andystrapz.com/products-d...yId=41&Level=1

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:11 AM   #17089
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Tiger never even coughed wrong. Brilliant bike, not tiring, plenty fast, planted and generally best bike I had to the date. Only bike that had no technical problems in our group of 5 bikes.
Come on, spill the beans. What were the other bikes and what went wrong?
Old 05-14-2013, 05:15 AM   #17090
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by opjocephus View Post
I'm looking for a motorcycle cover to take on trips. Not a full cover. Something that covers seat and instruments. Anyone here using something already?
A plain old builders Tarp. Most have eyelets around the edges to tie it down and they're dirt cheap. e.g. http://www.uktarps.com/tarpaulin/eco...-x-36m-cgb2736 or http://www.uktarps.com/tarpaulin/tou...olive-ttt2030g
Old 05-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #17091
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Come on, spill the beans. What were the other bikes and what went wrong?
OK :)

BMW venerable old F650GS non-Dakar. Badly serviced, started with refusing to react to throttle correctly until battery was changed to new, then rear sprocket wore out so much chain dropped off on highway - and guess what? BMW dealers don't stock sprockets or complete kits. Fortunately owner found one proper mech in Zaragoza in Spain - true enthusiast. That guy had chain kit waiting by time F650 arrived. Fortunately it fell onto rear hub and did not block wheel. In fairness - same bike crashed later taking wrong curve at tight corner and did not get anything broken, just scuffs and handguards I installed for him earlier saved levers.
Tenere 660 (new) - RR contacts burned and it stopped charging resulting in sudden stop on highway on way back home. Fixed quickly. Plus it was 2 up and was incredibly anemic.
KTM690 supermoto, the very first model, still "true" austrian build - this one was one abused bike and one crazy and fast rider. Lots of things wrong with bike but it never stopped, always went well. Engine are brilliant. Rear suspension lower shock bearing locked up, lots of water easily gets to suspension, various bits and pieces mostly because of that bike have hard life. Rear master cylinder link rusts like hell. Couple of bolts vibrated off. TPS needs calibration almost every day (sensor not OK, but it just needs throttle on-off before start, simple really). Clutch slipping at high rpms. But very little mileage for state it is in. But it crashes well - almost nothing breaks. Impressive bike. I like it more than new 690s. 12 liter tank made frequent refuels needed.
Transalp 600...now...where do I start. Fully serviced and engine refreshed professionally. Pushing oil into airbox so much, it soaked filter in oil and bike stopped reacting to throttle properly. We had to wash filter and pull breather out of airbox and attach empty cola bottle to breather tube. Biggest problem was that it handles like spaghetti in water. Not first time I hear it and I rode exactly same one a lot when repaired one for friend. True, push it just a bit - and it loses composure. Rubber dampers on handlebar mounts make it worse. So much, that rider swore to just get home and sell damn thing.

That's about it. KTM now in my garage, I promised owner (my good friend) to fix thing that are wrong with that poor hard ridden thing, so that it will be back to it's glorious abilities.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #17092
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,472
So in summation, basically a bunch of ill maintained bikes had problems that they most likely never would have encountered had they been properly maintained. Not the most glowing report of the Tigers reliability but just showing what happens when you don't do simple regular maintenance. Glad YOU had a good ride.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #17093
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
Tenere was almost new and religiously maintained. Transalp was not just maintained exceptionally well, it was fully revised and engine got top end done and broken in before ride. And it was old but low mileage bike. KTM was badly maintained low mileage bike but rear suspension had problems because of improper design of sealing linkages against water, not because of maintenance. Rest was maintenance problems. BMW - that one was badly maintained all way round.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #17094
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
*tip, pull your headlight/taillight fuses when moving roms around as it can take a while and you don't want your voltage falling below the threshold while you're moving a rom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
+1
+ $75 + loading bike into pickup to haul to dealer + 2 hours of my time + getting nagged at by tech for messing with things they think I shouldn't.

Tip: When you first see 'Upload Failed', STOP F***ING WITH IT; if you proceed, it may brick the ECU badly enough that the dealership can't even recover it. Then add about $1300 and several weeks to the above plusses while they order you a new one.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #17095
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtallguy View Post
Got an e-mail back from Happy Trails today about the racks and aftermarket exhaust issues. They said basically they've only been able to try them out with LV and Arrow, but it's safe to assume there would be issues with others also.

They will happily sell previous customers the re-designed bracket if you need it though.
That's "customer service"?
Old 05-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #17096
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
+ $75 + loading bike into pickup to haul to dealer + 2 hours of my time + getting nagged at by tech for messing with things they think I shouldn't.

Tip: When you first see 'Upload Failed', STOP F***ING WITH IT; if you proceed, it may brick the ECU badly enough that the dealership can't even recover it. Then add about $1300 and several weeks to the above plusses while they order you a new one.
Any idea why your upload failed?
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:50 AM   #17097
bigtallguy
Sasquatch Jr.

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
I thought the same thing when I read it. I like the racks so I'm just hoping it's a cheap upgrade when they get it done.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #17098
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Any idea why your upload failed?
I'm guessing the afore-mentioned concern with the bike's battery being fully charged. I had done it once before with no problems- but I'd pulled the headlight fuse and had the bike on a battery tender. The second time I figured it was charged up enough, was in a bit of a hurry, and just went at it.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #17099
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,597
Quote:
This is my point with these people. I would only ever deal with them if I absolutely had to. I had several email exchanges with them last July when I got my bike and their stupid rack wouldn't fit on with a LV can. Of course the racks took priority so the can got returned.

Basically their reply was that they were too busy because it was summer, the height of their business, and probably wouldn't get to visit the issue for some time, if ever. That was a kiss-off if I ever heard one.

They are good racks, sturdy, well finished, but the left side sticking out and the stupid back crossbar are horribly designed. Not to mention the fastening point that interferes with the muffler inlet pipe - inexcusable IMO.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #17100
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtallguy View Post
I thought the same thing when I read it. I like the racks so I'm just hoping it's a cheap upgrade when they get it done.
I got tired of waiting around too, since I already had the pipe.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote