Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #17101
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
This is my point with these people. I would only ever deal with them if I absolutely had to. I had several email exchanges with them last July when I got my bike and their stupid rack wouldn't fit on with a LV can. Of course the racks took priority so the can got returned.

Basically their reply was that they were too busy because it was summer, the height of their business, and probably wouldn't get to visit the issue for some time, if ever. That was a kiss-off if I ever heard one.

They are good racks, sturdy, well finished, but the left side sticking out and the stupid back crossbar are horribly designed. Not to mention the fastening point that interferes with the muffler inlet pipe - inexcusable IMO.
How is that a kiss off? Sounds like they were being honest with you. They built a rack to fit a Triumph Tiger, which it does. Do you expect a supplier to know about and stock every possible aftermarket accessory that *might* get bolted onto a bike? You don't like the cross bar? Don't buy their racks.

Do any of you complaining own a small business? Cut them some slack, it's not like you bought their racks and they didn't fit your bike. They were honest and told you they couldn't look at the issue "when you wanted them to". And how many people are actually running that pipe on that bike that are affected? I think I've read about three!

STOP THE FREAKING ASSEMBLY LINE! Browneye's aftermarket pipe won't fit. Forget about all the regular orders we have to fill, let's get this fixed for him now.

Or you could be a little inventive and make a nice bracket like several inmates have done. And as for that left hand side sticking out, my tool tube fits in there perfect. Crap I should have got on the Internet and complained about that instead of just using it to my advantage.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #17102
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
How is that a kiss off? Sounds like they were being honest with you. They built a rack to fit a Triumph Tiger, which it does. Do you expect a supplier to know about and stock every possible aftermarket accessory that *might* get bolted onto a bike? You don't like the cross bar? Don't buy their racks.

Do any of you complaining own a small business? Cut them some slack, it's not like you bought their racks and they didn't fit your bike. They were honest and told you they couldn't look at the issue "when you wanted them to". And how many people are actually running that pipe on that bike that are affected? I think I've read about three!

STOP THE FREAKING ASSEMBLY LINE! Browneye's aftermarket pipe won't fit. Forget about all the regular orders we have to fill, let's get this fixed for him now.

Or you could be a little inventive and make a nice bracket like several inmates have done. And as for that left hand side sticking out, my tool tube fits in there perfect. Crap I should have got on the Internet and complained about that instead of just using it to my advantage.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #17103
bigtallguy
Sasquatch Jr.

Oddometer: 254
Quote:

I think if a company wants our hard earned money, they should at least pretend to care if we have problems. The "life is tough, suck it up" attitude has no place in customer service.

I actually had to modify the bracket they sent to fit with the stock pipe. It's really not a good place for the attachment point. ("Why don't we attach it here, where there's the least amount of clearance between the pipe and foot peg. Yay!") It's not a huge problem with stock stuff, but the lack of foresight saddened me because overall, it is a well built rack.

I also hoped they would offer the new bracket to existing customers for free + shipping costs, but that's just me and I don't have to pay their bills.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #17104
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
I'm guessing the afore-mentioned concern with the bike's battery being fully charged. I had done it once before with no problems- but I'd pulled the headlight fuse and had the bike on a battery tender. The second time I figured it was charged up enough, was in a bit of a hurry, and just went at it.
Ah, that's what I thought you meant, but wasn't exactly sure if it was from the voltage drop or some other issue. Thanks for explanation
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #17105
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
I got tired of waiting around too, since I already had the pipe.
Right on!

This fixed mine as well.
And I'll probably make a new cross-bar.

Bross:
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:24 AM   #17106
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
the triumph skid plate holds up pretty well! i may see if someone can add a little reinforcing ribs to the bottom. i'm thinking of adding a little lip to protect the bottom of the suspension as well. i'm going to polish it up and maybe paint it too. i've got the forks off for rebuild so, since the bike can't move, i'm tearing everything apart to upgrade/make look nice again. its got a few dings, but overall i'm happy, i wish the mounting points were better! but nothing i can do about that. this is 15,000 miles and a good amount of bashing off road.
i just changed my oil so that's where the black dirt comes from...

a good rock ding to the front! it took some threads from the end of the mounting bolt too.

another dent/ ding to the center.

the skid plate is coming along nicely. I should have it done today so I'll post some after pics. I was going to have the cat removed. I went through the trouble of removing the exhaust, which was a pain in the ass! Since I'm working up here in ND right now I couldn't fine anyone to do the work for me. and the more I thought about it, the less I wanted to do it because of resale, laws, yadayadayada... so I just cleaned it up and remounted it. Here is the skid all cleaned up and ready for paint. I used undercoat so I can repaint over and over... I'm also using black restore on all my plastic. They cleaned up like new!

one coat on the bottom

treated top, old bottom
Old 05-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #17107
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Pretty cool. Downloaded the instructions, it's quite comprehensive. Not too complicated. Looks like you can change settings all the way through the throttle range. Stock map and arrow map available. I guess you need to load one of them in order to read a map on the bike. I'll re-read the instructions.

Lots of warnings...could blow up your motor.

Two sources for cables on ebay, ship from China - $18...worrisome. CJ Designs has them as well, $40 shipped.

Anybody have experience with either?

DealerTune for $100 on ebay as well.

I bought a cable on Ebay that didn't work. So do be careful, one vendor guarantees it works on Triumph bikes so I bought the second one from him which works great.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #17108
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
I bought a cable on Ebay that didn't work. So do be careful, one vendor guarantees it works on Triumph bikes so I bought the second one from him which works great.
I also bought one on ebay that didn't work that's why I provided the link to where I got mine from that did work.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #17109
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
Quote:
How is that a kiss off? Sounds like they were being honest with you. They built a rack to fit a Triumph Tiger, which it does.
Barely.

They told me they'd had issues with some bikes with stock cans, and advised owners to loosen the mid-pipe pinch bolt, rotate the can inward (clockwise, from the back) as far as it would go, then re-tighten it.

I've got the Triumph approved Arrow and it doesn't really work with it, either. (Note the website now says it doesn't work with LV or Arrow, and a solution should be available within 30 days... dated 3/8/13)

I offered to ride out there- 500 miles one way- if they'd look at it and come up with a solution. Basically re-bend one bar, maybe lengthen it a bit so it hits anywhere else. They were non-commital.

At not point did they offer to buy the rack back from me. THAT would have qualified as customer service.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #17110
dirtconnector
erythematic nucha

Oddometer: 768
Reread the title to this thread. The tiger is a beast. Knobs. Must have off road.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #17111
bross
Where we riding to?

Correcting speedo with TuneECU

Normally I've never cared that my speedo was optimistic by 7-10% on any of our bikes. I just check a new bike with my gps to see how far off it is, then do the math and go that much over the posted limit. But then I read that you could correct the speedo with TuneECU, so I figured what the heck, why not adjust it so that it's accurate.

So I have tried three times but can't get the adjustment to "stick". Even though my currently loaded map shows a correction of -6%, my speedo is still reading 106km/h when I'm really only going 100km/h according to my gps.

I'm running TuneECU 2.5.2, haven't tried the latest 2.5.3 yet. I've tried:

- loading my current map into TuneECU, setting the speedometer correction to -6%, then downloading that map, didn't work

- re-read my map from the ECU, set the correction, saved the file to a different name, downloaded that newly saved file, didn't work

Has anyone successfully corrected their speedo on a 2012 Tiger 800 using TuneECU? And if so what steps did you take?

I'm going to try my wife's Street Triple as it's a 2010 and see if it corrects. Maybe Triumph doesn't recognize the correction factor on the 2012 bikes?

bross screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 09:53 AM
Old 05-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #17112
andykeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
It's a known issue that the ABS model Tiger ECUs will ignore the correction factor.
andykeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #17113
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andykeck View Post
It's a known issue that the ABS model Tiger ECUs will ignore the correction factor.
Wasn't but is now, thanks. Back to my mental math.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #17114
HomemadeBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
NorCal, Mendocino County

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to haul a bike up to my buddy's ranch in Mendocino County. Anybody familiar with the area have a suggestion on fun, not-too-advanced trails in the area? Thanks much, Homemade Bob
Old 05-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #17115
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomemadeBob View Post
Hey all,

I'm getting ready to haul a bike up to my buddy's ranch in Mendocino County. Anybody familiar with the area have a suggestion on fun, not-too-advanced trails in the area? Thanks much, Homemade Bob
Did you try...
http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16