User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #17116
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,177
Factory ECU Tune Updates

Dropped in to my dealer today - Newport Beach Ducati Triumph - to check out what I could by with my 20% off coupon they sent me for my birthday. These guys really are a fantastic dealership. And one would think you have to pay extra because they're in Newport Beach (ritsy area) but no, always deals on bikes.

So Mark, the GM, asks me how the bike is running. It hasn't been back since I bought it last July, now 6K miles. In fact, it turned over 6001 when I pulled up. Then asked if my ECU tune was current. I said hell, I dunno. So he grabs the key, ran it into the shop, hooked it up, and put the latest factory tun in and checked the bike all out. FREE. Wow. Apparently there have been two updates since the middle of last year. And they reset my service reminder at the same time - whoot!!

So drop by your dealer and have them check and update your ECU.

Seems like the bike does run better, smoother. But I dunno, maybe just wishful thinking. At any rate, nice service, and the bike really does run like a top.

BTW, they also had a just-out-of-the-crate Explorer XC in low-gloss green. What a fantastic bike. If I could trade up I probably would. Shaft drive, spoked tubless rims, ABS, traction control, fly by wire with electronic cruise control, engine guards, skid, hydraulic clutch, gel seat, centerstand, aux lights. Notice the passenger footpeg carrier is bolted on, not welded.

It's all ready to go and one fine machine.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #17117
HomemadeBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25

Thank you, Mr. Braaaap. Very helpful info. Homemade
Old 05-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #17118
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Dropped in to my dealer today - Snippage... Notice the passenger footpeg carrier is bolted on, not welded.

It's all ready to go and one fine machine.
Seems to me that any serious hit on the passenger pegs is going to tweak the frame pretty badly whether it's bolted on or welded, maybe worse if it's bolted on. You do have the option of removing them when not needed, of course.

What I'd rather see, and likely the insurance companies as well, would be a separate rear sub-frame that could be replaced without totaling the whole bike.

Just my $0.02!

Cheers,
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #17119
vwdrvr66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Can't find Tires? Tiger XC

Hey anyone out there having trouble finding tires? I have the Heidenau K60 now and looking for a new set. Every place I look they only sell tube less not tubed tires? Can you put a tube in them? Please HELP or tell me where I can find them?

This is what I have and want again.....
2012 Tiger 800xc
2008 KTM 450EXC R
vwdrvr66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #17120
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,662
They are tubeless tires but your rim needs the tube (because of the spokes attaching through the rim). Just get the tires, get a tube for the size and you're good.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #17121
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 340
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
They are tubeless tires but your rim needs the tube (because of the spokes attaching through the rim). Just get the tires, get a tube for the size and you're good.
And run less air pressure because the tube in the tubeless tire creates more heat...at least that is what I do....
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #17122
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYG RYDR View Post
And run less air pressure because the tube in the tubeless tire creates more heat...at least that is what I do....
Less air pressure is going to cause more heat due to increased flexing. Just run the recommended pressure, tube or no tube.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:57 AM   #17123
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Less air pressure is going to cause more heat due to increased flexing. Just run the recommended pressure, tube or no tube.
I agree about less pressure = more heat but, no, these Heidenau K60 need less pressure. Otherwise they feel skittish with no grip. I run 30~36psi (std = 42) in the rear for tarmac, depending on load and down to 20 in the dirt.
The rear rim is a tubeless fit rim and requires a tubeless type tyre. I think Triumph did that to prevent the tyre spinning on the rim with it trying to lay down 90bhp. Otherwise we'd need a tyre clamp which would upset the wheel balance enormously.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #17124
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
The rear rim is a tubeless fit rim and requires a tubeless type tyre. I think Triumph did that to prevent the tyre spinning on the rim with it trying to lay down 90bhp. Otherwise we'd need a tyre clamp which would upset the wheel balance enormously.
Not true. In fact, my XC came from the factory with a tube-type 150/70-17 Battlewing on the back, despite the fact that the tubeless Battlewing in that size is a lot more common.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:46 AM   #17125
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Not true. In fact, my XC came from the factory with a tube-type 150/70-17 Battlewing on the back, despite the fact that the tubeless Battlewing in that size is a lot more common.

--mark
Regardless of the tyre it's still a tubeless fit though. That's why you need a bead breaker to get it off.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:21 AM   #17126
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,177
Seems to me Mefo and Heidi require about 35lbs (or more), always. Or they breakdown and delaminate. Early on there were a lot of them that split and threw tread/knobs. Lower pressure is fine for sand/mud offroad for lower speeds.

I can't be sure if the rims on the tiger are designed with a tubeless bead or not, but I have my doubts since they have a LOT of holes in them (for spokes) and would never hold air without a tube. That said, it doesn't matter if you run tube or tubeless if you're putting a tube in. I'm pretty sure they don't because Woody's wheels were consulted on the tubeless conversion of them and I guess a tubeless 21" rim is moreorless nonexistent. Can't be sure about the rear, but I'm pretty sure they're not.

In any case, low pressure (under 35lbs) on a loaded big bike at high speed is a really bad idea. Can cook the tires right off.

As far as breaking the bead, I'm not clear if the difficulty is due to tubless design or just the size of the tire/rim combo. But yeah, bike on centerstand, side stand to break the bead - they're really on there.

On another note, seems every time I stop when out on the bike, or any time motorists are around, I get comments on the bike. Have never really experienced anything like this. I mean, it's every time now, somebody wants to talk about the bike. Maybe it's me - the old gray-haired guy and the high-tech motorcycle. And they are usually older guys as well. None of them can believe it's a Triumph - "I never knew Triumph made a bike like that" is what I usually hear. Nope, it's a brand new design. Everybody remembers the old Triumphs I guess. Most ask if it's 'some kind of adventure bike'. Yep.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:48 AM   #17127
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
On another note, seems every time I stop when out on the bike, or any time motorists are around, I get comments on the bike. Have never really experienced anything like this. I mean, it's every time now, somebody wants to talk about the bike. Maybe it's me - the old gray-haired guy and the high-tech motorcycle. And they are usually older guys as well. None of them can believe it's a Triumph - "I never knew Triumph made a bike like that" is what I usually hear. Nope, it's a brand new design. Everybody remembers the old Triumphs I guess. Most ask if it's 'some kind of adventure bike'. Yep.
I get the same thing. I had an old hot rodder get down on his knees and take a closer look at the engine, the other night. I don't know what he was wondering about, as I was inside a restaurant. But, I do like that people are interested in the Triumph brand.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #17128
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I get the same thing. I had an old hot rodder get down on his knees and take a closer look at the engine, the other night. I don't know what he was wondering about, as I was inside a restaurant. But, I do like that people are interested in the Triumph brand.
Most people say "wow, nice bike, why's it so dirty"

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #17129
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,291
Anyone notice unusual tire wear? My front OEM Battlewing is completely worn out, past the wear bars worn out, while the rear looks like new? 13,000kms on them. I usually go through 1 1/2 to 2 rears on my DR650, and I used to pretty much wear out a front and rear at the same time on my street only CBF1000.

Bikes been on a trip down the Oregon coast, then mostly commuting bt my commute is 50 kms down then back up a twisty mountain rd. I'm wondering if the front is toast because its a skinny little 21" doing all that downhill braking cornering etc. Other weird bit is that it's more worn on the right side than the left. We typically wear out the left side of our tires first here in North America due to longer left lane turns, road crown etc.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #17130
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Regardless of the tyre it's still a tubeless fit though. That's why you need a bead breaker to get it off.
That may be, but a tube-type tire still works fine on it. And definitely still needs a bead breaker to get it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Anyone notice unusual tire wear? My front OEM Battlewing is completely worn out, past the wear bars worn out, while the rear looks like new? 13,000kms on them.
You're not the first to have mentioned the front tire wearing out unexpectedly quickly. Must have something to do with riding style though. What's interesting is that your rear tire has lasted so well.

I can get about that same mileage out of a rear Battlewing, but by that time the tire's finished, center tread pretty much gone. In fact, I just switched out a set with about that mileage last month. The front was still in okay shape, though if I were mounting Battlewings again I'd probably replace it.

Out of curiosity, how do you typically ride -- lots of front braking to slow down with the clutch disengaged, or do you primarily downshift and engine brake to slow? Because obviously if you're heavy on the front brake, the tire will wear faster. I'm a minimal braker, do most of my speed control through shifting and engine braking, so maybe that accounts for my better front-tire wear.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote