Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #17131
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
That may be, but a tube-type tire still works fine on it. And definitely still needs a bead breaker to get it off.

You're not the first to have mentioned the front tire wearing out unexpectedly quickly. Must have something to do with riding style though. What's interesting is that your rear tire has lasted so well.

I can get about that same mileage out of a rear Battlewing, but by that time the tire's finished, center tread pretty much gone. In fact, I just switched out a set with about that mileage last month. The front was still in okay shape, though if I were mounting Battlewings again I'd probably replace it.

Out of curiosity, how do you typically ride -- lots of front braking to slow down with the clutch disengaged, or do you primarily downshift and engine brake to slow? Because obviously if you're heavy on the front brake, the tire will wear faster. I'm a minimal braker, do most of my speed control through shifting and engine braking, so maybe that accounts for my better front-tire wear.

--mark
Too fast. I wouldn't say I'm a heavy front braker and like to use both brakes but I do like to "race" into a corner on the brakes, while down shifting. Conversely my wife rides like you do and rarely uses her brakes. I haven't had to replace brake pads on any of her bikes.

Could be that this is my commute into town as well...

Not complaining of course.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #17132
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,290
13000km's to wear out a tire is certainly not excessive. I'm lucky to get 10K km's on any tire (6K miles). The scorp trails will be toast by then, front and rear. The Fullbores lucky to get 8K km's.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #17133
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
13000km's to wear out a tire is certainly not excessive. I'm lucky to get 10K km's on any tire (6K miles). The scorp trails will be toast by then, front and rear. The Fullbores lucky to get 8K km's.
It's not the kms, I'm happy with that, it's just weird to wear out a front before a rear. I'm not easy on the throttle either.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #17134
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
It's not the kms, I'm happy with that, it's just weird to wear out a front before a rear. I'm not easy on the throttle either.
It is unusual, but my front is going faster than the rear as well. I ran through two rears to one front on my 955.
Yankee Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #17135
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Too fast.

Not complaining of course.
Gotta love the Crowsnest!

Engine braking for me. Cost a lot more money to wear the expensive tire out first
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #17136
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,088
Quote:
I think it's due to the narrow contact patch on the front.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #17137
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking. We're asking a lot of that tall skinny front tire the way we ride this bike. I'm surprised at how well it sticks for not much rubber.

I can live with the mileage I've gotten out of the Battlewings, having too much fun to slow down. Just picked up a set of new Anakee 3s, will be interesting to see if they hold up any better.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #17138
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
It is unusual, but my front is going faster than the rear as well. I ran through two rears to one front on my 955.
On my Roadie I'm about to replace my second Michelin Pilot Road 3, but the front looks like it could last another, third rear. I know the bikes are quite different but that is weird to be wearing the front first. I envy Bross commute. I get to ride that road once or twice a year, and usually run that section up and down twice if traffic is not too bad. Loads of fun.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #17139
flyfishbc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
mine is wearing the same, front is bald and rear has about 30 percent. 11000km on them, both stock battlewings. got some new mitas e07's to put on. maybe this weekend.. things got a little scketchy on sunday with bald tires and mud
flyfishbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:00 AM   #17140
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
And, maybe, as it's not rotating as quick as a normal size tyre it's not going the warm up as quick, they made the front of softer rubber.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #17141
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,642
Quote:

Wow, what a terrible commute you have.

Mine is 20 miles of interstate highway. No wonder my front tire is fine while my rear flat-spots...

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:26 AM   #17142
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
Is this strange phenomenon limited only to street tires? Last winter, I took a IRC TR8 front knobby with 2k miles off another bike and installed it on the Tiger. It now has over 4k miles on it and isn't dead yet. It basically sat unused while mounted on a DR650 (for over a year) before I put it on the XC. Maybe that time spent sitting in the garage hardened it up, as I've never had a knob last this long on any bike. The surprising thing is it still handles great on twisty roads with no loss of front end feedback or traction. The rear TKC (installed at the same time)is worn down to the carcass at 2100 miles.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #17143
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,829
Quote:
It's a character of some tires and might be aided by riding behavior. If you are generally not a slow rider and ride mostly on twisty roads, it'll wear the front significantly. If you do more miles on longer, more straight stretches it's mainly the rear.

So, you can't compare two rider/bike/tire combinations if they aren't riding exactly the same route together at the same speeds.

I remember back in the 90s, the Metzeler Enduro 4 (3 or 4? Not 100% certain) needed about two front tires for one rear. The tires I took off from my Transalp were the other way around, I bet that wooden front tire would have lasted 50k km ... it was hard as a rock and didn't wear at all, but it also stuck to the road like a piece of wood, totally incredible how much grip I gained with the Metzelers at that time. I was glad to trade fast front wear and slow rear for the opposite while still getting more grip. Fronts are cheaper and grip was very appreciated ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #17144
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
On my Roadie I'm about to replace my second Michelin Pilot Road 3, but the front looks like it could last another, third rear. I know the bikes are quite different but that is weird to be wearing the front first. I envy Bross commute. I get to ride that road once or twice a year, and usually run that section up and down twice if traffic is not too bad. Loads of fun.
How many miles are you getting out of your PR3 rears? I just installed the PR3 Trails on my roadie.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #17145
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,750
I thought I saw a post in one of the many Tigger 800 threads about someone who had mounted a small pelican box on the inside of their pannier racks as a small toolbox but buggered if I can find the post.

Anybody here that did that
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote