ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #17221
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applevalleyguy View Post
I tried that method and it does work. What I didn't like was having to depend on the side stand to support the bike while I tried to do it. The idea of the bike falling over while I tried to "mount" it left me with a very insecure feeling.

So back to my original question. Has anyone lowered their's, and if so, how did you do it?
Thanks for you time,
Don't worry about the sidestand, it'll hold the bike, you and all your gear just fine. Ever seen a bike laying on the ground because the side stand broke? Me neither.

Lowering a bike should be an absolute last resort, introduces a LOT of compromises some of which can be handling/safety related. Much better to just get used to getting on/off a tall bike the proper/easy way and enjoy the ride. Ever wonder how guys who are five foot f all ride real dirt bikes with 37" seat heights. Just takes a little practice.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #17222
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Today he looked into details of bent pasenger peg holder. It is bolt on. Not welded. Yet it cracked and at same time bent mount together with subframe.
The magic word is "subframe". You can replace it without disassembling the whole bike. Replacing the full frame (as there is no "sub"frame) on the Tiger is a completely different story.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #17223
live2ridetahoe
RN
 
live2ridetahoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Concord, CA
Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applevalleyguy View Post
I tried that method and it does work. What I didn't like was having to depend on the side stand to support the bike while I tried to do it. The idea of the bike falling over while I tried to "mount" it left me with a very insecure feeling.

So back to my original question. Has anyone lowered their's, and if so, how did you do it?
Thanks for you time,
I am assuming that your seat is in the "Low" position already?

Check out Lust Racing in the UK. I believe they have lowering links for the rear.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:46 AM   #17224
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
The magic word is "subframe". You can replace it without disassembling the whole bike. Replacing the full frame (as there is no "sub"frame) on the Tiger is a completely different story.
I think you missed my point
So, it is easier to replace subframe than use well thought after peg mount that will not bend it? I beg to differ.

E.g. just having bolt-on mounts not equal saving subframe.

BTW - he is not replacing it. He is driving over so that I can help him to mend it. We do not have to write off bikes for such reasons over here nor replace subframe since there was no accident or report - no point.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:11 AM   #17225
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applevalleyguy View Post
I tried that method and it does work. What I didn't like was having to depend on the side stand to support the bike while I tried to do it. The idea of the bike falling over while I tried to "mount" it left me with a very insecure feeling.

So back to my original question. Has anyone lowered their's, and if so, how did you do it?
Thanks for you time,
You raise (lowering the bike) front forks. And put a wishbone/ adjustable links on the shock.

With a simple google search this is what I found first http://www.soupysperformance.com/cat...00/8615306.htm


All in all everyone else is spot on in my opinion. Lowering the Tiger 800 is a bad idea.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:48 AM   #17226
boinoodle
Old and Cautious
 
boinoodle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: The Dark Side
Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
All in all everyone else is spot on in my opinion. Lowering the Tiger 800 is a bad idea.

Changing the geometry does change the handling characteristics, but it can be improved by spending $$$ on upgrades. If money is no concern, or you already plan on spending it on suspension than you should be able to get "somewhat" close to designed characteristics. But why spend money on getting it back to stock?

For most XC owners clearance is the issue, not getting on and off the bike. 5'10", 180#, bike loaded with weekender and cooler, never had an issue with standing on the peg to saddle up. Even parked on marginal terrain. My racks live on the bike and I stand on pegs about 90% of the time.

Worst case keep a trail stand handy if the side stand breaks, which is highly improbable. Statistically significant? IDK, send me some data and I'll let you know

http://www.endurostar.com/
__________________


Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
.
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #17227
rrr70
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Comcord
Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applevalleyguy View Post
I tried that method and it does work. What I didn't like was having to depend on the side stand to support the bike while I tried to do it. The idea of the bike falling over while I tried to "mount" it left me with a very insecure feeling.

So back to my original question. Has anyone lowered their's, and if so, how did you do it?
Thanks for you time,
I'm 5'11" 200lbs with 32 inseam and bad back. On my old modified KLR I could barely touch the ground. With top case I was mounting and dismounting standing on pegs from both sides of that bike and my new Tiger. It isn't big deal.
rrr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #17228
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applevalleyguy View Post
Just returned from a 500 mi two day ride on my new 800XC. Loved most things about the bike, but getting on and off were not two of them. I am 6'1" but my inseam is only 30". I prefer the seat in the high position as it gives my old knees a bit more room and that only compounds the problem. If I could lower it by say 3" it would help a lot. How would I accomplish this? Longer links from the shock to the rear should lower the rear. On the front can I loosen the triple clamp and slide it further down the fork tube? Has anyone lowered an XC? I would love to hear from you if you have.
Cheers,

I suspect you're another case of not setting your rider sag correctly. Hence the bike is sitting too tall.
I have a 30" inseam according to the jeans I wear and have no trouble with the seat height even set on high.
With the sag set correctly the bike should sink around 65~70mm (1/3rd total travel) when you're sat on it which will allow you to get a foot securely on the ground to get on and off the bike.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, 31000 miles and counting.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #17229
Wheres_Bob
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applevalleyguy View Post
Just returned from a 500 mi two day ride on my new 800XC. Loved most things about the bike, but getting on and off were not two of them. I am 6'1" but my inseam is only 30". I prefer the seat in the high position as it gives my old knees a bit more room and that only compounds the problem. If I could lower it by say 3" it would help a lot. How would I accomplish this? Longer links from the shock to the rear should lower the rear. On the front can I loosen the triple clamp and slide it further down the fork tube? Has anyone lowered an XC? I would love to hear from you if you have.
Cheers,

Or try the horse mounting technique from the right side. I never liked getting on the low side of the bike. I put my right foot on the peg, lean over the bike a bit, and can mount without adding any weight to the sidestand. Not that you would want to, but using this method you can remove ALL the weight from the sidestand, or put a lot more on it. I have used this on all sized Harley's, ST1300, dirtbikes, small bikes, sport bikes etc. It is especially useful if you have a huge load on the seat, or a passenger.
Wheres_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #17230
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
don't worry about the sidestand, it'll hold the bike, you and all your gear just fine. Ever seen a bike laying on the ground because the side stand broke? Me neither.

.
+1
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #17231
Applevalleyguy
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Southern CA high desert
Oddometer: 30
Lowering my 800 XC

OK gang I give. Don't beat me no more please. I promise not to lower my Tiger. I will try the "horse mount" method.
live2ridetahoe- The seat position is not the problem but the height of the tail as I try to swing my leg over.
blacktiger- Re: Sag. At 6'1 and 270 my guess is that the sag works for me. You are the man! 68,500mi on your 955 and 19,000 on you 2012XC. How do you do it? After all your country is a bit smaller than mine, but none less beautiful.
wheres_bob- Re: High side of bike. I'll try it in my garage with the door shut so that if I make a complete balls up of it no one will ever know. Thanks to all who took their time to respond. Now let's go ride!!
Applevalleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #17232
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer
 
BlackBeast's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Oddometer: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheres_Bob View Post
Or try the horse mounting technique from the right side. I never liked getting on the low side of the bike. I put my right foot on the peg, lean over the bike a bit, and can mount without adding any weight to the sidestand. Not that you would want to, but using this method you can remove ALL the weight from the sidestand, or put a lot more on it. I have used this on all sized Harley's, ST1300, dirtbikes, small bikes, sport bikes etc. It is especially useful if you have a huge load on the seat, or a passenger.
I would rather stand on the left peg, low side of the bike than trying to mount using this method from the right. Not sure how this can be safer.
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #17233
riverman
Life is great !
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Oddometer: 144
Applevalleyguy,

You can purchase lowering links from Mick in England at :mick416818@yahoo.co.uk

I ordered a set from him. Cost me $63 Canadian and they were delivered in about 8 days from England to Canada. He has a world wide reputation for great service and a great product.
__________________
Rory aka "Riverman"

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:34 AM   #17234
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,268
I notice all of you that complain about bad backs, bike is hard to mount, and such. Then you post your inseam and weight... sounds like your all overweight. Just throwing that out there. It's not the bikes fault. NOT trying to piss anyone off. Just calling it as I see it.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:39 AM   #17235
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,088
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014