Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #17416
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Same here Cug, smoothest yet. Latest map and tightened up the motor mount shim and it's butter smooth.
Yeah - my bike is very smooth, no question about it. But smooth is also very subjective as I pointed out somewhere else. My wife thinks the Tiger is incredibly smooth everywhere, she has a 650 thumper. I think the Tiger is fairly smooth everywhere, but I have owned Honda V-Fours (VFR, ST1100) and twin cylinder engines. Some people might think it's just slightly rough - when they compare to a Goldwing or a K1600 six cylinder.

And the bounce on mine never had anything to do with tires or wheels. It was suspension and nothing but suspension.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #17417
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,177
That motor mount shim is what blows me away. Would never have found that myself.

Thanks Bueller!!
Old 06-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #17418
frytown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Interesting Cug,
I just had mine in a few weeks ago for the 12K service and it came back buttery smooth. Smoother than new.
They put tune #020650 and, thankfully, built a little play back into the throttle cable (when it went in for the first check up, the goofball mech tightened up the cable so much that smooth became a teeny bit surgey - I was too tied up with other stuff to find the happy spot and just lived with it, which is stupid since now that it's dialed, I realize I rode 11.5K with it un-dialed).
I don't think anyone did anything with my motor mounts, but man, the bike is running like a champ.

Best. Bike. Ever.

photo(6) by frytown, on Flickr
frytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #17419
Oshiat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Some of you who are handy with a wrench and/or those of you who are experiencing vibration in your T800's might want to read my post in the Tiger 800 problems thread:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=353
Checked this on my bike tonight, the adjustable shim was not touching the motor either. Adjusted it and re-torqued the bolt, test ride tomorrow.
Oshiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:06 AM   #17420
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,372
Quote:
I don't 'trail ride' my 800 so the bigger one would just be more of the same great features the 800 has.
I thought that some years ago when I traded an XJ650YICS for an XJ900S. It's not always the case of the big brother is better.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #17421
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,054
Quote:
That motor mount shim is what blows me away. Would never have found that myself.

Thanks Bueller!!
Glad it helped. Between that adjustment and the throttle body sync I just did during my 12k service the bike is the best it's ever been!

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #17422
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,003
Quote:
Glad it helped. Between that adjustment and the throttle body sync I just did during my 12k service the bike is the best it's ever been!
I'm actually happy to find out I have the shim type mount as it seems like now that I have fixed it, it shouldn't go out of adjustment.

Just curious, do you recall what numbers you were getting on your throttle sync before adjusting? Just wondering how far off it was. At 14k miles mine were all reading the same value.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #17423
cug
--

Quote:
I remember that you need a cable extension for the fuel pump to do the throttle body sync. Is that correct?
Old 06-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #17424
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I remember that you need a cable extension for the fuel pump to do the throttle body sync. Is that correct?
You can get by with the tank resting on a block of wood at the rear

Sent from my Tiger 800
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #17425
cug
--

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #17426
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Thanks!
Before you get too worried about pulling your tank etc... just plug in TuneECU and see if your TB's are in need of any attention in the first place.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #17427
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Before you get too worried about pulling your tank etc... just plug in TuneECU and see if your TB's are in need of any attention in the first place.
Understood. I'll do that this weekend. Need to work out some other things first.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #17428
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Understood. I'll do that this weekend. Need to work out some other things first.
I only mention but I was planning for supporting the tank while still being able to access the adjusters etc... and then I just connected to the ECU and everything was fine.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #17429
cug
--

I'm a lazy bastard - I would never touch the tank before I knew I absolutely had to ...

Have to take the fork apart today, maybe as part of that I run it for a short while with Dealertool attached and see what the TBS tool says. Have to look up how this is done anyways, haven't done it before.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #17430
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I'm actually happy to find out I have the shim type mount as it seems like now that I have fixed it, it shouldn't go out of adjustment.

Just curious, do you recall what numbers you were getting on your throttle sync before adjusting? Just wondering how far off it was. At 14k miles mine were all reading the same value.
1 & 2 were pretty even at 630 hot idle, while #3 would read 620. That was within spec, but since i had it all apart anyway i decided to get it as close to perfect as possible - a carry over OCD habit from the days when i rode a surging BMW oilhead RT. Because the data refresh is a bit slow in TuneEcu, I adjusted 1 & 3 so they matched 2 (which is controlled by the stepper motor), and continued fine adjustment until they would all change to the next increment pretty much uniformly - or as close as I could get it.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote