User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #17521
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Stock Triumph Bags

I had always wondered how my stock bags would fare in a fall. I tested them yesterday. The left bag was wrenched out of the forward holding. The left grab rail was caving in the whole top of the bag around the handle area. The bag was twisted to the point that it was tweaked wide open but still latched securely. When I righted the bike the bag returned perfectly to it's normal shape. I put the key in and unlocked into the install / remove position and rehung it properly on the bike. NO DAMAGE.

Note the position of the left side bag.

This post is intended to be a testament to the resiliency or the bags. The how and why are another story.
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #17522
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggerled View Post
.... The how and why are another story.
I'm off to peruse the Faceplant forum....
2008 Suzuki SV650n (Sold... I miss that bike...)
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #17523
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
I had always wondered how my stock bags would fare in a fall. I tested them yesterday. The left bag was wrenched out of the forward holding. The left grab rail was caving in the whole top of the bag around the handle area. The bag was twisted to the point that it was tweaked wide open but still latched securely. When I righted the bike the bag returned perfectly to it's normal shape. I put the key in and unlocked into the install / remove position and rehung it properly on the bike. NO DAMAGE.

Note the position of the left side bag.

This post is intended to be a testament to the resiliency or the bags. The how and why are another story.

So cringe worthy

glad it all worked out for ya!
Old 07-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #17524
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
So cringe worthy

glad it all worked out for ya!
When I first saw what I thought was a totally F'd up bag I did cringe. I'm happy too.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #17525
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
I'm off to peruse the Faceplant forum....
Sorry but no face plant. Not even soiled hands or knees. I just stepped off.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #17526
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Quote:
When I first saw what I thought was a totally F'd up bag I did cringe. I'm happy too.

I thought I was ballsy with the stock tires... you take the cake
Old 07-02-2013, 01:47 AM   #17527
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdolnik View Post
No it's definitely coming up from under the tank,
Yes, you miss my point. It come out of the front of the lower guard and catches the wind which takes it up beside the forks.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:55 AM   #17528
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
All my wind issues, on my 1050, come up through that same area. I'd seen where someone with a big DS bike fashioned a blocker out of plastic. My opening is so irregular, compared to the fork sweep, I can't come up with anything. The best I can think of is a piece of rubber roofing, somehow attached, with the forks inserted through slits. There's more turbulence coming up through there, than from the windshield, on my bike.

This problem definitely exists.
Definitely. The only bike I've ever seen with a cover in that area was, I think, R80RT in the 1980/90s. When you increase the vacuum behind the screen the wind gets in wherever it can to fill that vacuum, dragging whatever is in it, with it. So bigger screens will experience this more than small screens.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:03 AM   #17529
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
For those who have thought about handlebar replacement, I just replaced them on my '12 Roadie. Not too bad of a job, just requires a bunch of drilling. Since I run the Triumph accessory heated grips and triumph hand guards I wanted to retain the usage of the threaded inserts in the OEM handlebars, which do a good job of guiding the heated grip wiring as well as provide the outside mount for the hand guards.

I was looking for the highest rise handlebars I could get, while also hoping to bring the grips inward (more narrow). My hope was to gain a bit more pullback beyond the combination of stock bars and 2" Rox Risers. Ideally, if I could find a really tall set of bars I could eliminate the Rox risers altogether. I bought a set of Fly Racing Aero Taper bars, with the highest rise they offered aside from the "50" bars they sell for adults riding small bikes. Unfortunately I found the rise of these bars to be almost identical to the stock bars, and due to an error in my initial measurements I thought I was buying more narrow bars when in fact they are wider. But they have less upsweep, which I found favorable compared to the stock bars. I confirmed this with a test ride today - the fly bars distribute force across the palm of my hand much more evenly, while the stock bars tend to be more loaded to the outside. Even though I knew I would not be keeping these bars on the bike I decided to sacrifice them to work out the best way to drill and fit everything. Here is a photo of the bare handlebars as I was beginning installation:

Here are the two next to each other (fly handlebars mounted, stock handlebars in front):

Tapping the ends of the bars to fit the stock bar end inserts (by the way, the tap size is 16mm x 2.0 for anyone who is interested. The local NAPA warehouse had it in stock for $10, but I could have purchased for $6 online if I was willing to wait):

You can see in the photos that I had already started drilling the necessary holes in the new bars. I measured the stock bars to determine where all of the holes should be, and drilled them without fitting everything first. This was the wrong way to determine where the holes should be. For the next set of bars I will first tap the ends of the bars, install the bar inserts, temporarily fit the grips and drill the screw holes for the left grip, and then mark the bottom just inside both grips to drill the heated grip wiring exit holes. Once those are drilled I will fit both switch housings on the bars and mark the position of the switch housing locating holes. This will likely yield much more favorable results, since the first switch housing locating hole I drilled for the left switch housing was a bit off.

I've already ordered the replacement set of bars. They are also made by Fly Racing, and are the aforementioned "50" bars. These bars have similar upsweep, almost twice as much rise, similar pullback, and are as narrow as the stock bars (I couldn't find any that are more narrow). I believe I will gain about 1.5" more rise compared to using stock bars with Rox Risers. I should have enough wiring room (aside from the left heated grip wiring, which I will have to extend) and clutch cable room, but the front brake line and throttle cables may be questionable. There's nothing wrong with the Rox risers, but since I decided to change bars anyway I figured I'd try to eliminate them in the process.

I'll post more photos once the next set is installed.

Great write up on the bars. I am having issues with pain in my hands, arms, and upper back on longer trips with the position of the stock bars on my 13 roadie. They just have an odd angle to them that puts my arms and hands in a unnatural position. I have had the Rox 2" risers installed since I purchased it new. I just removed them and will try some long trips with the bars in the stock position and see if that helps. If not I will try a different set of bars. I think something with less sweep would do the trick.

Does anyone know the difference between the roadie and XC bars? Where would you find the specs on each? I know the XC's are wider but wonder what the sweep is like compared to the roadie?
Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:16 AM   #17530
WhereIsBobL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdolnik View Post
Yea, like I said I've read hundreds (maybe thousands) of posts on the Tiger and not seen any mention of it (other than recently hunting up that post on the UK forums). That's why I was so surprised by it. I know guys are saying get a full face helmet and all but I don't think that would solve my problem, because it was VERY apparent a LOT of sand was coming up... I could readily see the sand floating out of that area between the tank and forks, so even with a full face ones neck would get blasted by it as mine did. The original battlewings are almost bald so I'm hoping that might be it. I'll just have to stay on the road until my new tires get here.
This IS an issue with the Tiger. With the stock screen it was horrible. I added the fender extender and it helped a lot. The Madstadt also helps some, but still, in many conditions sand comes flying up between the forks as well as up over the screen. The "beak" is basically useless and only a fashion statement.

That being said, it is not a real bother, I just flip down the face shield and live with it. Still....
WhereIsBobL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:32 AM   #17531
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

I cant say I have experienced this, sounds annoying
Old 07-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #17532
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Ignorance is bliss in your case. Not much sand around here except some short sections at one local OHV trail park. The grains fly up underneath my chin bar and right into my nose. The first time I experienced this phenomenon I couldn't figure out why my nostrils were tingling. Then I was like where the hell is the sand coming from? It is definitely a strange sensation. If you know you're going to be riding in sand, bring the goggles.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #17533
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
As far as sand, I'm with Dubl-A. Not yet.

But I did get a grasshopper a couple of days ago that startled me as it came flying up after getting caught in that wind tunnel between the headlight and the tank. So I will expect to see sand too, when the conditions are right for it.

Like others have indicated this low pressure zone behind the shield will suck in air from where it can and carry anything along that is suspended in that air.

An old inner tube may be another material to consider using for building an air dam in that hole.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #17534
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Ignorance is bliss in your case. Not much sand around here except some short sections at one local OHV trail park. The grains fly up underneath my chin bar and right into my nose. The first time I experienced this phenomenon I couldn't figure out why my nostrils were tingling. Then I was like where the hell is the sand coming from? It is definitely a strange sensation. If you know you're going to be riding in sand, bring the goggles.

I would have sworn this powdery-fine material that is EVERYWHERE here in New Mexico was this stuff called sand
Old 07-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #17535
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
I would have sworn this powdery-fine material that is EVERYWHERE here in New Mexico was this stuff called sand
Consider yourself lucky. Unlike most who have experienced the facial sand blaster, I run the Tiger without a wind screen. Maybe that IRC TR8 front knobby is the culprit. What front tire are you running Dubl-A?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote