User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #17536
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,632
Pro-Oiler

I mentioned several days ago I would post some pics of my pro-oiler install at the request of at least 1 person. While I don't think modern x-ring chains benefit as much as older chains from the use the of an oiler I still find using an oiler to be a useful addition for me. I am not going to get into a debate about the use of oilers and if I just rode on the weekends + a couple of trips per year I may not use one but for an everyday rider I find it very nice to have. I will also say that people often make blanket statements about chain oilers and about why they didn't like them etc... and when asked what kind of
oiler they were using it's always (insert brand "X" here) and not pro-oiler and my experiences are only with pro-oiler which I believe to be superior to anything else on the market. The reason I feel this way is:
  • It uses a displacement pump so there is no dripping unless the pump is running through it's few second cycle.
  • The pump is triggered via distance traveled and not from engine vibrations, fixed timing or , anything else. Distance (and adjustability for the conditions
    riden in over that distance) is what is most important. The trigger signal is obtained from a speed sensor, either crank or in the case of my tiger with ABS. I tapped into the ABS pulse signal wire from the front wheel which runs across the engine near the top - very simple. I've seen pro-oiler is now offering a GPS based trigger which
    seems excessive but I guess if you are opposed to tapping into existing wires you've got an option.
  • Scaled delivery. My controller doesn't have this option but newer ones have a programming feature which tapers off the drip rate at higer speeds. The thought is that at sustained higher speeds (highway) you need less lubricant because the chain is being more evenly coated (more of the chain gets oil at each drip cycle because the chain is passing by the nozzle at a faster rate) and if you continue dripping at your normal interval that you use for say urban riding or whatever you will just get a lot of fling-off. I've seen this first hand when I made my first trip with my pro-oiler and didn't reduce the drip rate, I had oil all over the sidewall of my rear tire. I was using more oil than needed back when I first started using the pro-oiler as well. So taper function increases the drip interval automatically. For me, if I plan on spending all day at near highway speeds I'll reduce my controller setting by one number. FWIW, I get a drip signal every ~4 or 5 miles I would guess.
  • On the fly adjustments. The controller has settings of 1-10 that can be adjusted on the fly for changing conditions. Riding in a lot of rain, up the setting by a few numbers to keep your chain cleaner. Same with dirt or whatever. Find your chain has gotten to oiled up, back the settings down for a while until the chain is more dry. Personally I very rarely adjust my normal setting except to drop it by 1 if I am traveling on the highway for a long period or to raise it by a few when it's raining hard which is not often in Tucson.
My pro-oiler is on it's 4th bike and I did ride several thousand miles on my tiger before I installed it but then I grew tired of dealing with any chain upkeep.

• I never need to touch my chain for adjusting except for on tire changes (which for me is 10k+ miles),the chain is always in a good lubrication state so it runs smoother and is more efficieny/quiet and doesn't develop tight spots,
  • The o-rings are kept oiled on the outside so they don't dry out and the grease on the inside of the o-rings stays there.
  • The chain and sprockets last several times longer

The two biggest complaints about the pro-oiler are 1) cost and 2) set up complication. Cost is what it is. You either think it's worth it or it's not. Like I said mine is on it's 4th bike and I've only needed to replace the nozzle once because I broke it changing a tire. No other reliability issues. Getting parts only seems to take a few days even coming from Europe.

The mechanical part of getting everything installed on the bike will take a few hours. The controller needs to be configured for your particular bike which involves determining how may pulses the controller gets from "X" number of wheel rotations and a base flow schedule. This is all covered thoroughly in the instructions. Also, pro-oiler are able to pre-configure many controllers or offer you base setting suggestions or you might be able to find someone whose already done an install and they can get you there settings.. I just calculated the pulses and then obtained the base schedule based on trial and error of how my chain was being oiled.

The install is self explanatory in the following pictures. I used the two screws that hold on the rear chain guide thing to mount the nozzle bracket. I had to make an additional "L" piece to get it all to work. The tiger is not super friendly for mounting the nozzle compare to other bikes I have had it on but, pro-oiler may have some better options for tiger mounting.

Anyway, more long winded than needed I guess. I fully expect if there are any replies to this post the first one will be "no thanks, I put my bike up on the centerstand, squirt some oil and I am done in 2 minutes". Yes, I've heard it and done it. To each their own.
Controller mounted.

Reservoir installed. The tiger has the perfect place for this. I add oil maybe every 4k miles????

Junction box where power, signal, pump and, controllers wire go. And the pump.

Side view of twin nozzle. Obviously you just route the tubing from pump to nozzle as best you can.

Top view of nozzle. I probably need to secure the tubing a little closer to the swing arm but I haven't had any issues yet.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #17537
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,876
Thanks for taking the time for this write-up. I'm totally undecided whether I want an oiler at all. Still debating - it's not about the cost. It's about whether it's worth it for me as I change my bikes frequently and I see me back on a shaft driven one sooner or later.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #17538
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post

Top view of nozzle. I probably need to secure the tubing a little closer to the swing arm but I haven't had any issues yet.
Hey thats slick! Didnt even know they had an electric version
Old 07-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #17539
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Consider yourself lucky. Unlike most who have experienced the facial sand blaster, I run the Tiger without a wind screen. Maybe that IRC TR8 front knobby is the culprit. What front tire are you running Dubl-A?
Yea I count my blessings as they come

First XC then my current XC Stock Pirelli's

Then the M-Series Full Bore's

Then now the current Karoo 3's
Old 07-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #17540
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,276
Handlebar update - Fly Racing "Mini" bars do NOT work. The grip area is too short Otherwise I would have been in ape hanger heaven

Next up - Pro Taper Contour "Raptor" ATV bars.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #17541
bdolnik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Then now the current Karoo 3's
How do you like the Karoo 3's? I just ordered a set from Revzilla, they are supposed to be here Friday.
bdolnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #17542
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdolnik View Post
How do you like the Karoo 3's? I just ordered a set from Revzilla, they are supposed to be here Friday.
Just got mine over a week ago and have a little over 200 mi. Initial review is significantly increased off road traction & more importantly less walking from the front in the ruff (From stock tires this is obvious). Minimal vibration other than 65-75 where a decent howl is present but with this t-rex looking tire I can deal with it. Lets eat some dirt!!

.........Will report back on wear and tear please do as well
Old 07-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #17543
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Just got mine over a week ago and have a little over 200 mi. Initial review is significantly increased off road traction & more importantly less walking from the front in the ruff (From stock tires this is obvious). Minimal vibration other than 65-75 where a decent howl is present but with this t-rex looking tire I can deal with it. Lets eat some dirt!!

.........Will report back on wear and tear please do as well

I'm betting they're toast in 3K miles. Sure hope I'm wrong.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #17544
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I'm betting they're toast in 3K miles. Sure hope I'm wrong.
With how I grind on this bike and take the ol' lady on trips I 'll be happy with that. I just needed the additional traction when I'm out with other inmates who shall go unnamed as they are ashamed I take such a beautiful bike where they take theirs in beautiful NM
Old 07-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #17545
tdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Keep it going

Seating position on my XC is the only thing I don't like about it, even after installing Rox risers it's uncomfortable. Still can't really relax, have to sit ramrod straight which strains my back or put weight on the hands by leaning forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Handlebar update - Fly Racing "Mini" bars do NOT work. The grip area is too short Otherwise I would have been in ape hanger heaven

Next up - Pro Taper Contour "Raptor" ATV bars.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #17546
Bugchewer
Piece of Work

Oddometer: 587
Triumph Tiger 800

well I took a bee sting to the neck the other day swelled up nice! And all I can say is it is not the bike's fault. lol That bee died doing his thing and I got stung doing mine. Sand in the face is part of riding, so is dirt, mud, rain, blood and all are better than work.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #17547
vanjoosten
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdv View Post
Keep it going

Seating position on my XC is the only thing I don't like about it, even after installing Rox risers it's uncomfortable. Still can't really relax, have to sit ramrod straight which strains my back or put weight on the hands by leaning forward.
Have you tried flipping the XC risers around (raises and moves the bars forward) then leaning the bars back in towards you? That and 30mm risers (similar to ROX height) solved the ergo issues for me.

Also, have you tried using the high seat position in the front and the low in the back?

vanjoosten screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 08:57 PM
vanjoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #17548
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdv View Post
Keep it going

That's the stock seat angle...my flat saddlemen relaxes riding posture.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #17549
rrr70
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
So much more comfortable!

rrr70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #17550
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,876
Ape hangers?
cug is offline   Reply With Quote