Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 05:01 AM   #17536
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
I'm in the USA. My left rear signal "stalk" broke. I took the Tiger 800 to the dealer, who told me there was a "bulletin" issued my Triumph USA, and then he gave me the 4 parts to replace the stalks. However, he did not offer to perform the work. He did say that changing out the front stalks was easy, but the rear ones were difficult if a top case rack were installed.....especially if it were a Givi top case rack. Guess what I have?

He suggested using something called "TG o RG" or something-similar Weld. Some sort of adhesive. Anyone here tried using that or something similar to "glue" the turn signal stalk together? Putting the Givi rack on my Tiger was a royal PITA, and I suspect it will be no different removing it to install the new stalks......so I'd like to try the easy solutions first.

This topic may be in this thread somewhere, but I cannot get the Search function to work this morning.......
That work is paid for by Triumph as it is a safety recall. If you do the work, he is still getting paid to do it. Time to a) call Triumph and b) find a new dealer.
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:14 AM   #17537
Deek
Deek / AdVentureMan

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
That work is paid for by Triumph as it is a safety recall. If you do the work, he is still getting paid to do it. Time to a) call Triumph and b) find a new dealer.
Thanks, I will bring that to his attention.....however, I sorta understand why they told me that, since I modified the motorcycle by installing the Givi rear rack.

Appreciate the reply, sir.
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:02 AM   #17538
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Thanks, I will bring that to his attention.....however, I sorta understand why they told me that, since I modified the motorcycle by installing the Givi rear rack.

Can you remove the rack and then have them do the recall work?

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:15 AM   #17539
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,515
Quote:
..He suggested using something called "TG o RG" or something-similar Weld. Some sort of adhesive. ...
JB Weld?
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:18 AM   #17540
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by theDub View Post
Agreed. For me, the stock screen created vertices that spun up my chest and into my helmet from the bottom.
That has nothing much to do with the screen. The wind comes in around the bottom sides, beneath the screen. Have a look at the Madstad site where they make deflectors to stop that wind hitting you. I copied their deflectors and made some to fit my Palmer set-up. You can see them in this photo. All is calm behind my screen...
Old 06-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #17541
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I'm asking because the Fastway F3 footpegs I tried were useless on the Tiger. Too short. The Adventure pegs would have worked but way overpriced for my taste.

So, take the warning, don't buy the Fastway F3 for the Tiger:

Either go all the way up to the Adventure pegs or get something else. I decided to just stick with the stock pegs. Wanted it a bit lower, but on the Tiger the Fastways only get you about 4 to 5mm height difference, and spending > $200 for just that felt wrong. The sheepskin gives me about the same effect for my knees, plus it helps other body parts, too ...
You might want to look at the SWmotech pegs. They are height adjustable to two positions although I found that the foot brake pedal does not adjust enough to match the lower setting.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #17542
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Quote:

Let's be clear, bolting on a top box or panniers would hardly be considered "modifying" a bike. If you ordered it with factory boxes, we would never call it modified, it came from the factory that way. Anyway, here is some additional info:

I have the Touratech rack along with my brake light upgrade installed, the light which adds to the wiring mess under the cover. This was all a non-issue for my dealer. Took them about 30 minutes while I drooled over the new bikes. I would have serious doubts of having a dealer like that do any work for me in the future. This is a good indication they are willing to cut corners and take shortcuts to increase their profits. My first phone call would be to Triumph corporate and as I said, finding a new dealer.

Care to share which dealer is treating you this way???

That being said, I do not know how far you are from your or another dealer, so I understand this may be easier said than done, but this is not the attitude I would want from my dealer. In the event you end up having to do the parts swap yourself, here are some instructions.

As far as doing it yourself, it is a simple task. The instructions are for the replacement of the recalled parts. You will still need access to the front to get at the turn signals, which involves some disassembly. PM me if you need the instructions for that as I can shoot you the pdf of the disas/re-assembly. I don't know why the dealer would tell you about needing JB Weld or similar. I think it is just another sign of their incompetence.

Anyway...
  1. Remove your box, rack and top cover.
  2. Remove the nut and bolt retaining the turn signal (I believe 5mm hex for the bolt and 10mm? for the nut) This will leave your turn signal stalk hanging free.
  3. Unplug the signal connecting wires and route them through the hole. They are different lengths so you will be able to maintain polarity.
  4. Once the signal is out, you will see a small brass collar in the stalk portion, remove that.
  5. Now remove the small screws that retain the lens on the signal body. Save these screws.
  6. Once the lens is off, there is a small retaining screw that holds the stalk (ribbed part) in place. Remove the screw and pull the stalk from the lamp housing, carefully working the wires through the stalk.
  7. Now you replace the stalk with the new one. The major difference is the brass collar that was straight on the old parts, now has a flange as part of it which keeps the stalk bolted correctly in place.
  8. Once the stalk is replaced, replace the set internal set screw and re-install the lens and screws.
  9. Feed the wires back through the bike, install the bolt and replace your cover and rack.

p3

pilot3 screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 06:46 AM
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #17543
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
^^^ This is true.
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #17544
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,794
I just talked to my dealer about the shift return spring (which I haven't had done). They didn't say anything about turn signals. Details?
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:43 AM   #17545
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
I just talked to my dealer about the shift return spring (which I haven't had done). They didn't say anything about turn signals. Details?
not all bikes are affected.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #17546
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
You might want to look at the SWmotech pegs. They are height adjustable to two positions although I found that the foot brake pedal does not adjust enough to match the lower setting.
I installed those pegs on mine and had no issue lowering the brake pedal to accommodate the lower foot position.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #17547
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Thanks for the info - good to know. I doubt I'll go with different foot pegs any time soon. I'm okay with the position as is and after selling the pegs again have spent the money on a beak (not installed yet) and a sheepskin.

Don't want to spend more money on the Tiger right now - just got a new bike for my wife ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #17548
riverman
Life is great !

Oddometer: 147
Does anybody have some photos of the Wolfman Rocky Mountain bags mounted on Wolfman racks on the 800XC? Looking for side and rear shots if possible. I understand that the whole setup ends up being 43 inches wide but still would like a photograph or two to see the setup.

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #17549
rrr70
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Looks good. Not quite as short as the Fastway mounted. Do they give a lower platform?
I'll remove left one tonight and put them side by side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
you dont have to remove it, you just take out the pin and move it out of the way (if i'm remembering right)

make sure you ride standing up with them. i got about a block down the road and i couldn't keep my boot from rolling off the ends because they are so short. try out all the boots you own.
On the right side brake pedal has to come off as pin is hitting it.
rrr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #17550
theDub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
That has nothing much to do with the screen. The wind comes in around the bottom sides, beneath the screen.
Well, OK, I believe you. I'll assume you have more training in aerodynamics than me since I have none.

The point is I was getting bugs in my helmet with the stock screen, so I fitted a CalSci screen and now I don't.
theDub is offline   Reply With Quote