Oddometer: 156
Almost.
At least I can stand up now
rrr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #17552
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,945
I also have ergonomic issues with the Tiger. No matter what I do, I plain can't get the damn thing feel right on longer trips.

I tried higher bars, lower bars, bars rolled forward, rolled back, normal seat, comfort seat, low seat, OEM pegs with and without rubber, Fastway pegs, ... no matter what I do, I end up with pain in my shoulders, neck, and a new one crept in last weekend: upper arm.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:56 AM   #17553
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I also have ergonomic issues with the Tiger. No matter what I do, I plain can't get the damn thing feel right on longer trips.

I tried higher bars, lower bars, bars rolled forward, rolled back, normal seat, comfort seat, low seat, OEM pegs with and without rubber, Fastway pegs, ... no matter what I do, I end up with pain in my shoulders, neck, and a new one crept in last weekend: upper arm.
This is all to do with the sweep in the bars. I've said many times that they are too straight which cocks your hands at an unnatural position. That transfers to all the connecting bits in you arms and body. You can't polish a turd. If the bars are wrong to start with it doesn't matter what angle you turn them to they'll still feel wrong. ROX risers only make you sit up straighter and take weight off your wrists which disguises the problem.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:45 AM   #17554
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr70 View Post
So much more comfortable!

I do this and I need only about another 15mm and I reckon it would be perfect. Alas, the factory risers I had started with cause my clutch to pull ever so slightly when full lock left turns happen.
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:16 AM   #17555
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
The chain and sprockets last several times longer
So just what are you getting in mileage on a set of chain and sprockets?
Old 07-03-2013, 06:25 AM   #17556
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 786
Quote:

Exact same problem I have. I wonder if switching to the xc bars might solve this? I would really like to see the specs on the xc vs. Roadie bars.
Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #17557
rrr70
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
This is all to do with the sweep in the bars. I've said many times that they are too straight which cocks your hands at an unnatural position. That transfers to all the connecting bits in you arms and body. You can't polish a turd. If the bars are wrong to start with it doesn't matter what angle you turn them to they'll still feel wrong. ROX risers only make you sit up straighter and take weight off your wrists which disguises the problem.
That's what I noticed too. If I have my hand with elbows sticking out like on MX bike, my wrist feel fine. But on the Tiger we don't sit that close to the bars. I'm looking for the bars now with the same rise as stockers but with more sweep. Need to take some measurements.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:38 AM   #17558
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
explorer bars, 20 mm risors, and xc mounts. works for me
Old 07-03-2013, 06:41 AM   #17559
rrr70
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
explorer bars, 20 mm risors, and xc mounts. works for me
Do they have more sweep than T800 bars?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #17560
bubbabeemer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Handlebars

Cycle World states that the XC bars are 2.7 inches wider than my Roadie.
As the seat goes I have the front on the high setting and the back mount on the low setting. It levels the seat out and makes it much more comfortable.
The gel seat works well also as long as you have no ass to speak of.
bubbabeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #17561
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr70 View Post
Do they have more sweep than T800 bars?
yes, much better on the wrist

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,6632.0.html

I tried the rox risors, didn't help. For sale if you want them.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #17562
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
This is all to do with the sweep in the bars. I've said many times that they are too straight which cocks your hands at an unnatural position.
That is definitely true for the XC bars. I'd have to do some more comparisons with the Roadie bars. They are narrower and if I recall correctly also shaped differently. Not saying they are shaped "well" for me, just different.

But to be honest: I find swapping handle bars a pain in the rear - especially as I have no clue whether that solves anything for me. I've ridden the Tiger for 11k miles as is, might as well ride it for a bit longer as long as I keep this bike.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #17563
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 6,089
My Ergos Opinion

JMHO...

Geez, you guys and your bars. I know, you want them 'just right'.

Seriously, the stock XC bars seem a little odd at first, but they are desinged to 'encourage' you to take an attack stance, and they are intentionally wider for greater leverage to control a big bike in rougher conditions than just smooth pavement. This is an adventue bike not a cruiser. I know, some of you want to adjust whatever you get for cruiser comfort - swept back bars, hiway pegs, etc. etc. The Brits tend to take a pretty aggressive stance to their riding. This is a performance bike after all.

If your grip is putting pressure on your thumb and the inside of your palm then you just need to bend your arms at the elbow a little more, that will neutralize the pressure. Same for height - if the bars are a bit low you bend your knees more when standing. For sitting? You guys are raising your bars for sitting? Again, I understand if you're 6-4 and hunched over - different deal there.

Bike design parameters tend to be optimized for an average rider, 5-8 to 6', 165 to 200 lbs. If you're outside of that some mods may be necessary. Otherwise, consider adapting to what the designer intended. I know, you tried it and just didn't like it. Or, some you just can't leave well enough alone.

So that's my take. Please don't be offended.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #17564
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Geez, you guys and your bars. I know, you want them 'just right'.
Not offended at all but please understand this one: due to ergonomic issue on the Tiger I have massive pain my shoulders on long rides. It generally starts after about two hours and gets worse over the day.

This is something that drives me nuts and makes my relationship to the Tiger a total love-hate thing.

I never had issues like this before on any other bike I owned. I was willing to swap risers but kept the bars from the Roadie:

- Roadie risers
- XC risers
- XC risers swapped around
- Roadie risers with Rox
- XC Risers with Rox

The problem still exists and makes me hesitant to go on longer trips. It made parts of our summer vacation trip (3600 miles through the Western US) a torture. You know, when I get off the bike after a few hours and stretch my right shoulder and my wife hears the muscles, joints, tendons cracking and jumping even with ear plugs in - that's not a good sign.

Again: never had anything like that on any other bike I owned. So I'm still looking for a solution. Whether I'm going to try and swap bars without knowing that it'll make it better - I don't know. Maybe. It's a lot of work for very uncertain results.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #17565
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,808
Quote:
Not offended at all but please understand this one: due to ergonomic issue on the Tiger I have massive pain my shoulders on long rides. It generally starts after about two hours and gets worse over the day.

This is something that drives me nuts and makes my relationship to the Tiger a total love-hate thing.

I never had issues like this before on any other bike I owned. I was willing to swap risers but kept the bars from the Roadie:

- Roadie risers
- XC risers
- XC risers swapped around
- Roadie risers with Rox
- XC Risers with Rox

The problem still exists and makes me hesitant to go on longer trips. It made parts of our summer vacation trip (3600 miles through the Western US) a torture. You know, when I get off the bike after a few hours and stretch my right shoulder and my wife hears the muscles, joints, tendons cracking and jumping even with ear plugs in - that's not a good sign.

Again: never had anything like that on any other bike I owned. So I'm still looking for a solution. Whether I'm going to try and swap bars without knowing that it'll make it better - I don't know. Maybe. It's a lot of work for very uncertain results.

You currently ride other bikes that this doesn't happen or previous bikes?

Chances are you have a pinched nerve or something irritating your shoulder area.

Pack some ibuprofin, I never leave home without it. I'm only 33 and my shoulder/ neck area and wrists ache like a SOB half way through a long day ride.