User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #17746
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Saving original MAP

I went to my dealer's shop to have them check my battery because the bike cranks very slowly when hot. Battery was good. The mechanic scanned for trouble codes. None. He reported that the bike had the "obsolete" MAP. He said the throttle bodies could use a little adjustment but he would have to install the new MAP to get it done.

In 16 months and 16K miles I have never had the stalling issue associated with the MAP recall even though my VIN is right in the middle of the bad run. I am very happy with the way my bike runs and ecstatic about the fuel economy.

Billy says he cannot save the old program if he replaces it. Can the old MAP be saved to a file or something and re installed if I don't care for the new MAP?

I not asking for opinions as to weather I should change it or not. Only if it can be saved in case I want it back.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #17747
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggerled View Post
Can the old MAP be saved to a file or something and re installed if I don't care for the new MAP?
All historical maps are available at tuneecu.com.

http://www.tuneecu.com/ObsoleteTune_List.html

If you don't know which map you currently have, you can check it using the free tuneecu software, without having to update the ECU.

tuneecu will also allow you to "pull" the current map off your bike and save it on your computer.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #17748
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
All historical maps are available at tuneecu.com.

http://www.tuneecu.com/ObsoleteTune_List.html

If you don't know which map you currently have, you can check it using the free tuneecu software, without having to update the ECU.

tuneecu will also allow you to "pull" the current map off your bike and save it on your computer.
Thanks. Looks easy enough.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:33 AM   #17749
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
The wheels get torn up when the tech doesn't have the half of the tire bead opposite the duck in the drop center where it belongs
You'd think that. But, I've been standing there, along with others, and seen it happen.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #17750
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Bueller, could you do me a favor and take a photo from above the handle bar so that the angle is better visible?

Like this (standard Roadie bars):

Many thanks!

I'm still trying to sort out out my shoulder issues on the Tiger and have a suspicion what's going on. Was experimenting during the weekend and did some long riding days (16 hours pure riding time in two days), placing my hands here and there, holding at different angles and so on.

cug screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 08:48 AM Reason: Correcting borked quote
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #17751
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyincolo View Post
I have never been one to take any vehicle back to the dealer for service until something major is required, like a valve adjustment. Do all the oil changes myself and generally look around and fix minor loose stuff as I find it. This practice has served me well over the last 40 years of riding bikes and never had any issues.

Just curious as to how others feel. Do you avoid your dealer until they are needed?
Yes. I do everything myself. The sole exception in my Tiger's case has been one time when I took it in for recall service (shifter return spring and center stand; both done at once).

And the bike is so reliable that at this point, with over 41,000 miles, it's needed nothing but the usual consumables.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #17752
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
And the bike is so reliable that at this point, with over 41,000 miles, it's needed nothing but the usual consumables.

--mark
You're certainly racking them up Mark.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #17753
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
It's made by No-mar but is their lower end model, called the Cycle Hill tire changer, $465. With 4 or 5 bikes in the garage mines paid for itself several times over. Plus good will of letting friends use it.
Or if you don't feel like shelling out that kind of money, buy a set of these.

Motion Pro, $16 each. A pair of these and one smaller one do the trick nicely. I do all my own tire changes, and have done plenty for friends as well. It takes about 15 minutes per tire, working at a casual pace, not including removing the wheel from the bike and reinstalling it. Hearing about dealerships charging $200 for a tire change actually pisses me off because I know how easy the work is. Pure robbery.

--mark

Old 07-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #17754
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,617
Explorer 1200??

Hmmm...a few went that route and coming back to the 800 - it's not all peaches and cream...

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,8636.0.html

I'm gonna keep my XC, once it's paid for get a Monster for urban and canyon day trips - just for shits and giggles.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #17755
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
You're certainly racking them up Mark.

Yeah, I've already put on over 11,000 miles this season, and I'm not completely sure how. I haven't taken any long trips this year, just a weeklong one in May and a four-day one this past weekend. I guess commuting to work must make more of a difference than I gave it credit for.

The funny part is that my eight-year-old car only has 55,000 miles on it.

--mark

Old 07-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #17756
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:

Motion Pro, $16 each. A pair of these and one smaller one do the trick nicely. I do all my own tire changes, and have done plenty for friends as well. It takes about 15 minutes per tire, working at a casual pace, not including removing the wheel from the bike and reinstalling it. Hearing about dealerships charging $200 for a tire change actually pisses me off because I know how easy the work is. Pure robbery.

--mark

^^ This.

I don't have any trouble with the tires on the tiger using just regular tire irons. The rear can be a bit of a bitch to unseat the bead, but the side stand works just fine for that. Once broken down it spoons off the rim very easily. Just use some rim protectors to prevent scratches - cut pieces out of plastic containers works fine. Carry them in my tool roll. And a mini-can of WD40 in the tank bag, pair of latex gloves and 12v compressor for field repairs.

I get VERY few flats - none so far on the tiger. Well, a leaky front, but I think it was the valve stem - like a dumbshit I think I lossened it with the cap at some point. Changed out the tube and the old one was fine. Oh well, new tube is good.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #17757
Bugchewer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Triumph Tiger

You guys have given me the courage to get a set of tire irons for just in case. I have a buddy who lives two doors down that has a shop in town less than 1 mile from my house. He charges $20 for a tire change. He charged me $10 to put my sump guard on and $20 for the center stand. Those I could have done but for those prices he makes a little scratch and completed while I wait or when I am at work. I drop off the bike and walk up the hill to my office. Dealerships have to make money but anything over $50 to change a tire keeps most people seeking other alternatives. These tire irons look like the way to go, I already have the compresserI carry in my top box.

I also just started using a puncture additive to my tubes made by NAPA for tubed tires. It called Amerseal. A friend told me about it and it costs about $15 and will do the back and front tires on the XC.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #17758
technikiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:

--mark
I've got regular levers, but I actually prefer tire spoons. I've got Moose Racing's version.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #17759
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Hmmm...a few went that route and coming back to the 800 - it's not all peaches and cream...

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,8636.0.html

I'm gonna keep my XC, once it's paid for get a Monster for urban and canyon day trips - just for shits and giggles.
Stick with the triple, WAY better bike than a Monster.

It's my wife's. She demo'd a Monster and was in love coming from her Bonneville. Until she rode the Street Triple, no contest.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #17760
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
No. Lights on/off is/was always on the right cluster.

mmm not so sure about that.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote