Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #17821
ArmyDOC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by theDub View Post
You can buy just one. Enter "1" in the quantity field and click add to cart.

2wheelpros.com is another source I use for OE parts.
Thanks. Will try it again. I entered "1" and when I to check-out it was $40... I will try it again.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #17822
ArmyDOC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Thanks guys. Order confirmed!!
Old 07-15-2013, 12:14 AM   #17823
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
I'm going to attempt to do my own oil change on my 800XC this week. I'm a complete newbie to maintenance, but I think that the oil change is probably a reasonable place for me to start.

What tools will I need to do the oil change? I am thinking a torque wrench (for the filter & drain plug), an oil filter adapter for the wrench, and a set of hex bit sockets (metric?). Have I missed anything else?

I have the filter, crush washer, and oil, which I believe is all the stuff that I will need...
SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:45 AM   #17824
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
I'm going to attempt to do my own oil change on my 800XC this week. I'm a complete newbie to maintenance, but I think that the oil change is probably a reasonable place for me to start.

What tools will I need to do the oil change? I am thinking a torque wrench (for the filter & drain plug), an oil filter adapter for the wrench, and a set of hex bit sockets (metric?). Have I missed anything else?

I have the filter, crush washer, and oil, which I believe is all the stuff that I will need...
Don't forget something to catch the old oil.
I like to use a measuring jug to pour the oil
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:08 AM   #17825
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post

be sure to put in LESS than the manual says you need on the refil. Then dribbed it up to where it should be. Otherwise you will end up overfull. Which is a PIA.....
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #17826
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
3 3/4 qts of oil, close enough. If you buy the k & m filter it has a 17mm nut on the end to make it easier next time.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #17827
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
3 3/4 qts of oil, close enough. If you buy the k & m filter it has a 17mm nut on the end to make it easier next time.
I agree with Yankee Dog. Go with less and make it up later. I've over filled mine twice now by using exactly what the manual says.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #17828
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I agree with Yankee Dog. Go with less and make it up later. I've over filled mine twice now by using exactly what the manual says.
Over fill as in to the top of the sight glass, or over fill as in it's pissing out some place?

What is the mechanical issue with over fill and will it hurt anything?

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #17829
rrr70
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Did some trail riding again yesterday. Mounted Contour camera on the right side on the engine crash bar. When reviewing the video I noticed that front is using pretty much all it's travel. Ziptie on the fork confirmed it.
What can be done?
rrr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #17830
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr70 View Post
Did some trail riding again yesterday. Mounted Contour camera on the right side on the engine crash bar. When reviewing the video I noticed that front is using pretty much all it's travel. Ziptie on the fork confirmed it.
What can be done?
Is it bottoming out? Causing problems? Why not use all the travel? That's what it's there for.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #17831
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
Over fill as in to the top of the sight glass, or over fill as in it's pissing out some place?

What is the mechanical issue with over fill and will it hurt anything?
Over fill as in, too much oil. In my case above the over fill line in the site glass. The way I understand (I'm no mechanic) if you overfill- the oil pump works harder and can fail, it will spew out of the vent area in the air box, other motor mechanics will overall work harder, and I'm sure others. google it!
Old 07-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #17832
rrr70
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Is it bottoming out? Causing problems? Why not use all the travel? That's what it's there for.

It is bottoming out.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #17833
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr70 View Post
It is bottoming out.
take it to the dealer and see if it's a warranty issue. or have a suspension shop rebuild them. simply changing fluid levels may help. i had mine done with all racetech components. but they had 15,000 hard miles on them.

also, (and again, i'm no mechanic) if you don't feel a problem through the handlebars. or you aren't getting beat to death. i wouldn't worry about it. the travel is there for a reason.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #17834
rrr70
Gnarly Adventurer

Here is a screenshot

Old 07-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #17835
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Static sag and rider sag

I think the first step is to check the rear sag and set it properly. While we think the issue is the fork or front of the bike, the place to start is the shock and rear of the bike. Once you have established the static sag and rider sag is correct, then you can move on to the front. Good luck.
PatSmith is offline   Reply With Quote