Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #17911
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxoDave View Post
I will be picking up a Tiger 800 next week. I also hope I don't have the issues with the bar you have had. :)
You probably won't. I have a serious pre-condition from too much desk work. 10 years ago I wouldn't have noticed it all too badly. But nowadays I'm sensitive to even the smallest ergonomic issue in my setup. Be that desk or bike or car doesn't matter. Desk is set up perfect now, car is pretty damn good, bike is not even close yet.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #17912
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I have done a lot of looking around about what could cause my shoulder issues. I guess you have the same problem I have, only that you bend your wrists, while I push my elbows out and up (which then translates into the shoulders).

The Roadie bars have ~19 degree sweep back angle. Depends slightly on how you install it in the riser blocks, but I checked a few and there were all around that value. The XC is said to be even more straight.

The Explorer has ~24 degree sweep back angle. That's what I'm trying next. I have a handlebar for an Explorer on order (wasn't available in the US, so it had to get ordered from England - how I hate Triumph for shit like this) so I won't know for another few weeks.

The bikes I have absolutely no issue with all have even more sweep back. All the BMWs I have owned or have currently in the garage have between 25 and 27 degree sweep back. I could ride my old GS for 16 hours a day and have no issues other than general stiffness. On the Tiger I have issues after about one hour, pain after about two, really bad pain after four or five hours.
I'm the exact opposite of you, I couldn't stand the bars on the BMW RT I owned and it caused wrist pain. The only way I could ride that bike comfortably was to tuck my elbows in tight to my sides and hold them there which got tiring and a pain in the wrist! I find the stock XC bars comfortable and have no need to make any changes. I ended up selling the RT and the biggest reason was due to the bars. At least you guys have some options with the Tiger in being able to try different bars. The only thing you could do on the RT was install risers, which didn't change the sweep. I even contacted HeliBars to see if they could simply drill different holes to adjust the sweep but they couldn't/wouldn't.

Hope you guys find something that works for you.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #17913
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
I have to agree with bross. I had an rt and liked it but I could never come to grips(pun intended) with the bar set up .
Quite by accident one day I rode a GS and found the ergos to be better. Then I started looking and rode a GSA. Those ergos fit me even better than the Gs. A friend mentioned cycle-ergo.com. Good site to get an idea of what bike may or may not work for someone
PatSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #17914
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
This is probably even more personal than windshields. Although I have to admit that the GS/GSA ergos are pretty much the best for me. Right along with the Super Tenere. Only differences with GS and GSA are seats and footpegs. Both are interchangeable. I used lower foot pegs but GS seat in high position. Pretty much perfect.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #17915
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
Narrower....that is it

And if I can find a spare set of bars to mangle at my own liesure, I will have a set of narrower bars
Narrower is tough to accomplish. I have not found a narrower set of bars out of the box. The stock T800 Roadie bars measure 30" with the internal bar ends installed - or more simply put, 30" from grip end to grip end (the grips extend past the ends of the bars and over the bar inserts). If you do not have heated grips and if you were to remove the internal bar ends, you could move the grips in about 1 & 1/8" on the left side, and 1 & 5/8" on the right side, if memory serves. That's right, the right side bar insert is longer than the left. This of course assumes there is enough total length of the grip area of the handlebars (you need approximately 185mm of grip area to have enough room to mount everything), you are willing to purchase an aftermarket bar insert, you don't run into clearance issues between the handlebar and master cylinder or handlebar and clutch switch, and are willing to drill new holes in the bars for the switch housing locating pins. Whether or not you have enough clearance between the master cylinder/clutch switch is dependent on the angle you tilt the bars. There's no easy way to explain this - you just need to loosen everything and start moving it around on the bars to see what I mean. The clearance issues usually come into play as you rotate the bars back towards the rider, and then adjust the clutch perch and master cylinder on the bar to the correct position.

Every aftermarket handlebar I looked at was at least 30" wide, which is 2" more than the stock bars. Many were up to 32" wide. Finding additional sweep is not difficult, and in fact handlebars with more sweep generally have a lower probability of clearance issues as I described above. However, fitting handlebars seems to require enough geometry knowledge to stump Pythagoras, and to further complicate things you will find that different manufacturers measure things differently. So you can't always directly compare measurements, but perhaps this will help:

Fly Racing tapered Handlebar chart

Pro Taper Contour handlebar chart

I currently have the Pro Taper ATV bend "Raptor" installed. I haven't spent enough time on the bike to really comment on comfort, but plan to on Thursday.

Best of luck in your pursuit. Be sure to post the bars you use and some photos.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #17916
rrr70
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
While its customary for motorcycle riders to take "ductail" off their bikes, I'm putting one on mine.
Tired of crap covering top case and back of my helmet

And of course there wouldn't be installation without "custom" fabrication.

As you can see I'm "will it work? Yeah. Then fuck it" kinda guy.
rrr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:32 AM   #17917
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr70 View Post
While its customary for motorcycle riders to take "ductail" off their bikes, I'm putting one on mine.
Tired of crap covering top case and back of my helmet
Yeah I did the same, put that big ugly thing back on. But it's amazing how much that stops

See by this photo

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com

Windy Rider screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 03:38 AM
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #17918
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Narrower is tough to accomplish. I have not found a narrower set of bars out of the box. The stock T800 Roadie bars measure 30" with the internal bar ends installed - or more simply put, 30" from grip end to grip end (the grips extend past the ends of the bars and over the bar inserts). If you do not have heated grips and if you were to remove the internal bar ends, you could move the grips in about 1 & 1/8" on the left side, and 1 & 5/8" on the right side, if memory serves. That's right, the right side bar insert is longer than the left. This of course assumes there is enough total length of the grip area of the handlebars (you need approximately 185mm of grip area to have enough room to mount everything), you are willing to purchase an aftermarket bar insert, you don't run into clearance issues between the handlebar and master cylinder or handlebar and clutch switch, and are willing to drill new holes in the bars for the switch housing locating pins. Whether or not you have enough clearance between the master cylinder/clutch switch is dependent on the angle you tilt the bars. There's no easy way to explain this - you just need to loosen everything and start moving it around on the bars to see what I mean. The clearance issues usually come into play as you rotate the bars back towards the rider, and then adjust the clutch perch and master cylinder on the bar to the correct position.

Every aftermarket handlebar I looked at was at least 30" wide, which is 2" more than the stock bars. Many were up to 32" wide. Finding additional sweep is not difficult, and in fact handlebars with more sweep generally have a lower probability of clearance issues as I described above. However, fitting handlebars seems to require enough geometry knowledge to stump Pythagoras, and to further complicate things you will find that different manufacturers measure things differently. So you can't always directly compare measurements, but perhaps this will help:

Fly Racing tapered Handlebar chart

Pro Taper Contour handlebar chart

I currently have the Pro Taper ATV bend "Raptor" installed. I haven't spent enough time on the bike to really comment on comfort, but plan to on Thursday.

Best of luck in your pursuit. Be sure to post the bars you use and some photos.
For anyone else looking into doing a handlebar swap, for the sake of reference, I contacted Neken to find the XC handlebars dimensions and they have 111 mm rise and 65.5 mm sweep.

Edit: It seems like they must have different criteria for measuring, because their numbers seem to have a much higher rise and sweep than the aftermarket options.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #17919
TigerMarker
Ducati/Triumph

Oddometer: 79
Just figured out last night that I bent my radiator bracket a bit too in that off I had as I was washing the bike and looking at it from the front and the radiator and shrouds were looking shifted to one side. Sure enough the right side bracket was bent in a little bit. I'll have to take off all the plastics and bend it back this weekend. It's not a major thing, but it is noticeable if you're looking for it.

Hopefully this heat wave is over by then!
'75 Norton Commando 850 (Sold)
'02 Ducati MH900e (Sold)
TigerMarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #17920
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerMarker View Post
Just figured out last night that I bent my radiator bracket a bit too in that off I had as I was washing the bike and looking at it from the front and the radiator and shrouds were looking shifted to one side. Sure enough the right side bracket was bent in a little bit. I'll have to take off all the plastics and bend it back this weekend. It's not a major thing, but it is noticeable if you're looking for it.

Hopefully this heat wave is over by then!
Have a look at your fan as well. My fan housing was warped, enough to stop the fan from turning and over heated the bike on a dual sport ride. Wasn't a big deal for the rest of the ride, just made sure the fan was in the "free" position whenever I stopped. Triumph warrantied the fan and ended up replacing the rad due to a pin hole leak. I had a minor low speed crash in the sand but nothing to cause that and they had no problems warranting it.

bross screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 11:50 AM
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #17921
bubbabeemer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Tiger Roadie Handlebars resolved.

I found the answer for me. Installed the Tiger Explorer handlebars part T2041634. They are 2.7 inches wider and swept back about an inch more than stock. The only mod needed was a new hole for the left switch block. You do not have to drill all the way through the bar and risk hitting the heated grip wires. The stock heated grips fit fine no problem. I also installed Rox risers. I like to use a Air Hawk on top of the gel seat with the front seat adjustment on the high position and the back on the low to make the seat more level. The Air Hawk makes the seat height much higher which is why the risers. With the risers you need to install a hex head bolt in the back of the stock bar clamps. With the risers pulled back you cannot get a allen wrench in to tighten it but a 13mm box end will. All the stock cables have enough length. I have a 2011 non ABS model. There is a hose clamp at the bottom of the triple clamp holding the brake line. I removed it and let the hose hang free. On the ABS model this hose routes back under the tank so it may be too short. The heated grip holes are in a different position. Be careful when installing the switch blocks as the fit is tight. The hand guards work fine also.
For the previous 4 years I rode a BMW F800GS which fit perfect. I found the stock Roadie a torture rack. This mod transformed the bike for me. I am 5'10" 160lbs and old.
bubbabeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #17922
Randyincolo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Time for the first oil change and I always use the Chevron diesel oil but need advice for a filter.
Not picky, just want a filter that meets OEM requirements.
Aftermarket or Triumph brand?

Thoughts on the Wix 51358?

Randyincolo screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 09:32 AM
Randyincolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #17923
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyincolo View Post
Time for the first oil change and I always use the Chevron diesel oil but need advice for a filter.
Not picky, just want a filter that meets OEM requirements.
Aftermarket or Triumph brand?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #17924
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,596
Diesel oil?

That would be Delo 400 and it's a good product, but not for extended drain intervals for the Tiger. It's also not as slick as a full synthetic, nor as thermally stable. It is commonly used in the gearbox for dirtbikes, as is Rotella (Shell) and neither has friction modifiers so they are wet-clutch compatible. Still, not what I would use in the triple motor, not in this day and age of technology.

Consider a full group IV base synthetic and change at half the recommended oil change interval (OCI).
Seems to me Castrol is the recommendation, but other good or better products are Motul, Shell, Motorex, Mobil1 (motorcycle specific) as well as others, and my favorite - Amsoil 4-stroke MC Oil which is a true fully-synthetic base. It is also wet-clutch compatible. I notice slicker shifting after an oil change.

When I do a half OCI I skip the filter - replace at the recommended interval. This keeps fresh oil in the sump and costs just a shade more than a blackstone analysis.

Delo 400? Nawwww.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #17925
Randyincolo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Been using Delo 400 for decades in everything from a Gold Wing to a FZ1 to a Kawasaki Ninja 600 as well as my current Concours 1400. Love the oil.

But I realize oil choice is a very debatable issue so use what makes you happy:)

How about the Wix filter?
Randyincolo is offline   Reply With Quote