Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #18466
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
Here is an excerpt from the 800 manual explaining how Triumph utilizes CANbus on this bike. It has been explained that the the packet priority is what causes the delay. I cannot expound as to why but I would imagine it would depend on the terms of your stall or shutdown that causes the CANbus to process the appropriate information in different time frames, thus why the delay is longer or shorter sometimes.
I should have known canibus was involved

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #18467
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Talking

All CAN Bus circuits have timing and priority on the packets of information. Critical items (oil pressure, water temperature, throttle position, etc) will have far more frequent and higher priority on the network than do less critical info bits - fuel level for example.

You may also have delays built in while different processors talk to each other to establish clear communication. Specific packets of information are sent that must be mirrored back in a defined time. Until each processor involved has signaled that clear communication exists between each processor on the network, other CAN communication will be restricted or even shut off.

Depending on the sequence of events leading to a shutdown/restart situation, a delay may be built into the software to insure there is no lost packets or corrupted packets of info on the network leading to the shutdown. Once the software is satisfied there is no network or hardware fault, then normal CAN communication resumes with full function.

Sorry for the geeky explanation......its what I have to do at work at times But hopefully it makes sense
Old 09-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #18468
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,095
Anyone have a USA source for the Triumph LED turn indicators p/n A9830047?

Looks like they have been discontinued, can't find em ... may have to order from the UK on eBay.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #18469
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post

Looks like they have been discontinued, can't find em ... may have to order from the UK on eBay.
I converted to these, quick and easy to get.

http://doctorenduro.com/index.php?ma...3194f98a4672ee

They say you don't need to get the relay but I get the spastic dead bulb blinking. IDK if I'll put a relay in, it's kind of an attention getter.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
Old 09-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #18470
klinquist
übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
I converted to these, quick and easy to get.

http://doctorenduro.com/index.php?ma...3194f98a4672ee

They say you don't need to get the relay but I get the spastic dead bulb blinking. IDK if I'll put a relay in, it's kind of an attention getter.
I've got the relay already installed. I'd like the OEM part.... have pics of those installed on your bike?
Old 09-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #18471
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Quote:
I've got the relay already installed. I'd like the OEM part.... have pics of those installed on your bike?
I like the narrow profile most of all.
How and what did you use for the relay? I hear there is a stock plug in replacement?

Lord John Whorfin
Old 09-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #18472
klinquist
übergeek

Quote:
I like the narrow profile most of all.
How and what did you use for the relay? I hear there is a stock plug in replacement?
Looks decent, thanks.

I used the stock plug-in replacement :).
Old 09-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #18473
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Quote:
Looks decent, thanks.

I used the stock plug-in replacement :).
part#?

Lord John Whorfin
Old 09-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #18474
klinquist
übergeek

Quote:
part#?
a9830046
Old 09-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #18475
h2000fb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
The heat issue on the new 800XC has been discussed elsewhere on ADV Rider but can’t find it now. One post went something like this:

"Get your bike plugged into Tuneecu and you can alter the temperature the fan comes on. Mine is now set at 95 degrees (Std. is 103C) and the heat is much more bearable."

Good info, but we started pondering the info:

MotoTex added, “Notice they are using Celsius if you make this change. That's changing from cycling the fan on when coolant temp is at 221 F (stock) to it coming on at 203 F instead. The fan might come on more often, but the breeze off the fan will be a little cooler.”

My thoughts were before changing the fan settings, change the thermostat say a 160-180 degree thermostat like you could in the older automobiles to run cooler. That and the fan reprogram would make a huge difference.

The thermostat looks to be very similar to an auto thermostat. See #29 in diagram. “Usually the temp it triggers at is stamped into the part. Pull the part, take it to an auto parts store and see what could be found to drop in its place.”

Parts list

Whatever thermostat one might choose, the fan would need to be adjusted accordingly.

Points to consider:

· What is operating temp of the Tiger? 203? It can be measured easily.
· At what temp does the fan turn on? 221?
· So, if you put a 190 degree stat in, fan turned on at 203, you still pretty close to stock operating temp of 203, but 25-30 degrees cooler.

Everyone seems to agree that richer is better and recommends remapping, but you would not really need to under these circumstances.

Sounds good anyway.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #18476
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,793
If I had tune ecu I would do it, but I wouldn't buy one just for that. The bike can be hot when it's hot out, slow speed. I like to get moving again or shut it down.

I'll bet you would have a hard time finding a thermostat that matched but I could be wrong, I have not looked at it. Still, with a computer controlled and sensored motor my inclination would be to leave the stat at that temp since that's what it was spec'd by the factory. OTH maybe it wouldn't hurt it to circulate coolant earlier. I do like that the bike warms up right away though.

Operating clearances, oil spec, fueling, is all based on a target operating temp. I'm not sure changing that would be of benefit.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #18477
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
All CAN Bus circuits have timing and priority on the packets of information. Critical items (oil pressure, water temperature, throttle position, etc) will have far more frequent and higher priority on the network than do less critical info bits - fuel level for example.

You may also have delays built in while different processors talk to each other to establish clear communication. Specific packets of information are sent that must be mirrored back in a defined time. Until each processor involved has signaled that clear communication exists between each processor on the network, other CAN communication will be restricted or even shut off.

Depending on the sequence of events leading to a shutdown/restart situation, a delay may be built into the software to insure there is no lost packets or corrupted packets of info on the network leading to the shutdown. Once the software is satisfied there is no network or hardware fault, then normal CAN communication resumes with full function.

Sorry for the geeky explanation......its what I have to do at work at times But hopefully it makes sense
That explanation was exactly what I had hoped for! Thank you for the info Rich B.

In addition, Triumph's design to only utilize CANbus for engine/ECM communication is very beneficial to us. The advantages to CAN minimize wiring and simplify some electronics. The fact that Triumph does not extend CAN throughout the bike as BMW does, is an added bonus. It allows us all to load up and wire in all of our added gadgetry with no extra adapters, etc. Is also allows us to change lights and not get an array of fault codes, such as my BMW buddy is fighting with right now.
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:48 AM   #18478
btao
RIP Lilolita

Oddometer: 1,011
Quote:
I should have known canibus was involved
akakakakaka
Old 09-18-2013, 04:50 AM   #18479
btao
RIP Lilolita

Quote:

You may be looking at the old part number if it's showing no stock. They were recalled and have a much more flexible stem on them since they were breaking a lot. A call to the dealer might help if you can't verify it.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:55 AM   #18480
btao
RIP Lilolita

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
If I had tune ecu I would do it, but I wouldn't buy one just for that. The bike can be hot when it's hot out, slow speed. I like to get moving again or shut it down.

I'll bet you would have a hard time finding a thermostat that matched but I could be wrong, I have not looked at it. Still, with a computer controlled and sensored motor my inclination would be to leave the stat at that temp since that's what it was spec'd by the factory. OTH maybe it wouldn't hurt it to circulate coolant earlier. I do like that the bike warms up right away though.

Operating clearances, oil spec, fueling, is all based on a target operating temp. I'm not sure changing that would be of benefit.
Unless you were really cooking the bike all the time in the desert and always run in hotter environments, then maybe dropping the setting and running a slightly thinner oil would be ok. What that combo is, I don't know. Otherwise, you aren't operating efficiently if you don't reach full temp.

Do you want to be at ideal temperature, or the bike? That's the question.