Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #18466
btao
RIP Lilolita

Oddometer: 1,010
Pilot, that's exactly what I said. If there was really a performance advantage or a really good reason to switch than it's a good tradeoff. I try not to give anyone any excuse to create a warranty hassle. Just look at BMW, they are as bad as an insurance company denying claims.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #18467
btao
RIP Lilolita

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Ham View Post
How is the 800 in stop and go traffic? Is the tall 1st gear something you get used to or will it be really annoying? I test rode an XC over the weekend and almost stalled the thing pulling out of the lot.
I'd say... average. It's not the best, but not the worst. It's a wet clutch so it has no problem slipping a lot. The clutch spring is about average pull on the lever. It does need a few rev's to get going though. I learned that coming from a Bandit 1250 which you could roll away with practically no throttle. Stalled it out of the parking lot on the test ride
Old 09-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #18468
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,071
Quote:
How is the 800 in stop and go traffic? Is the tall 1st gear something you get used to or will it be really annoying? I test rode an XC over the weekend and almost stalled the thing pulling out of the lot.
Some of the guys that ride off pavement a lot have dropped the counter one tooth. The rest of us got over your 'issue' within the first few hundred miles. It's a pretty aggressive bike and the benefits of riding it that way are under reported. Twist the wrist a little more and GO!

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #18469
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
You get used to it, but traffic will always suck with a manual tranny. I would stall my Roadie occasionally when I first got it. Not so much from a stop while accelerating straight, but having to make a turn from a dead stop made me nervous for a while. Between getting used to the clutch and the higher center of gravity from my last bike, I even managed to drop it once making the right hander out of my driveway. Now, I don't even think about it, and rarely manage to stall it.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #18470
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,363
Quote:
I'm -2 out back and don't have any problems.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #18471
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
Quote:
I don't think that ANY bike is fun in SnG traffic.

That being said, the 800 isn't really worse than any other, unless you count the "excessive" heat on the right thigh.

(The 800 is a whole lot cooler in that regard than several other bikes I've owned.)

As for the tall 1st gear, just feather the clutch a bit. You're not on a slippery surface with roots at a 15% grade; it'll be fine.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #18472
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.KAG View Post
then said they will not do any warranty work on a bike not bought there.
They can't deny your warranty. Triumph NA would probably like to hear about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I could tell if I leaned way forward or raised my butt off the seat a couple of inches the air was much cleaner. So I knew that moving the screen back a bit would clean it up a ton. I suspect the air space now at the bottom also serves to reduce the vacuum behind it and thus cleaned it up even more. The difference is astounding.
That's how I determined what to do with my Cal Sci, mounted on a Palmer bracket, on my 1050. I modified the bracket to get the top edge closer to my chin. The air cleaned right up.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #18473
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,606
Quote:
The "tall" first gear is a relative thing. IMO it's no higher than any other road bike. It is, however, taller than pukka dirt bikes.
Once you get used to the bike and where the clutch bites etc. you can pull away on pretty low revs.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #18474
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
That being said, the 800 isn't really worse than any other, unless you count the "excessive" heat on the right thigh.
Get your bike plugged into Tuneecu and you can alter the temperature the fan comes on. Mine is now set at 95 degrees (Std. is 103C) and the heat is much more bearable.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #18475
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Get your bike plugged into Tuneecu and you can alter the temperature the fan comes on. Mine is now set at 95 degrees (Std. is 103C) and the heat is much more bearable.
That is an excellent suggestion for owners who find the heat to be too much.

Personally, I don't find the heat to be an issue, which is why I used quotes in my statement. I find the entire thing to be a bit overblown. After all, we are riding above an internal combustion engine. They tend to put out a bit of warmth.

I suppose if I rode around in shorts, and found myself in slow traffic, I'd feel differently.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #18476
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
"That is an excellent suggestion for owners who find the heat to be too much.

Personally, I don't find the heat to be an issue, which is why I used quotes in my statement. I find the entire thing to be a bit overblown. After all, we are riding above an internal combustion engine. They tend to put out a bit of warmth."

Really, who knew and when did they know that straddling an internal combustion engine would cause one to feel heat? I am shocked, shocked I tells ya.....

Shouldn't the guvment do something about this terrible problem?

Old 09-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #18477
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
That is an excellent suggestion for owners who find the heat to be too much.

Personally, I don't find the heat to be an issue, which is why I used quotes in my statement. I find the entire thing to be a bit overblown. After all, we are riding above an internal combustion engine. They tend to put out a bit of warmth.

I suppose if I rode around in shorts, and found myself in slow traffic, I'd feel differently.
You don't need to be in shorts. 30C ambient and a busy city, stuck in traffic wearing light summer riding gear and it's uncomfortable. Since reducing the fan temp to 95C it's actually hardly noticeable now.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #18478
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
Shouldn't the guvment do something about this terrible problem?

They are. They're putting up our taxes to pay for Global Warming.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #18479
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Only issue I had was getting stuck for 3 hours in mostly stop, little go, traffic around the Indy Motor Speedway going to the 500. Temps were in the 90s and the bike was flat out pissed about it. Traffic was moving just enough to keep it from being productive to shut the bike off. The coolant temp indicator never went higher than normal, but the bike got HOT!. Reeked of gasoline after awhile as theheat got transferred from the engine to the frame to the tank and the gas started to evaporate at a pretty high rate. The frame was too hot to touch after awhile. The oil was toast after that day and I changed it as soon as I got home. Bike was making some odd sounds at that point. Quieted right down after the oil change.

That said, my dad's Kawasaki fared just as bad if not worse idling along there beside me and the heat coming off the bike wasn't what I would call excessive considering the conditions and the fact that it felt about the same whether I was on the bike or off it.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #18480
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
Only issue I had was getting stuck for 3 hours in mostly stop, little go, traffic around the Indy Motor Speedway going to the 500. Temps were in the 90s and the bike was flat out pissed about it. Traffic was moving just enough to keep it from being productive to shut the bike off. The coolant temp indicator never went higher than normal, but the bike got HOT!. Reeked of gasoline after awhile as theheat got transferred from the engine to the frame to the tank and the gas started to evaporate at a pretty high rate. The frame was too hot to touch after awhile. The oil was toast after that day and I changed it as soon as I got home. Bike was making some odd sounds at that point. Quieted right down after the oil change.

That said, my dad's Kawasaki fared just as bad if not worse idling along there beside me and the heat coming off the bike wasn't what I would call excessive considering the conditions and the fact that it felt about the same whether I was on the bike or off it.
Sucks not being able to lane split…

If trying to deal with traffic on Saturday going in and out of SF wasn't enough, if I couldn't lane split I would have

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote