Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 04:49 AM   #18466
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.KAG View Post
Well my husband talked me into trading in my HD and get this. Just got back for the first ride and absolutely thrilled....sometimes he actually has a good idea.

Saphire blue....panniers on order. He ordered me a lowering kit as I need it just a little bit lower to sit completely flat footed. Got me some gear and boots coming......now he just needs to put a front tire on his Buell Uly and we are gone.

Happy

Congrats on the new bike! Where did you buy it, Wichita? I was out to your place one time checking out your TW's. I never did get that underseat part of the Buell Comfort Kit to Kag. Have him PM me your address & I will mail it to him if he still wants it.

Keep us posted on your experiences with the new bike, please. The wife & I have sold our Buells & are looking for something else.

Good Luck!
Murf
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #18467
Ms.KAG
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2 View Post
Congrats on the new bike! Where did you buy it, Wichita? I was out to your place one time checking out your TW's. I never did get that underseat part of the Buell Comfort Kit to Kag. Have him PM me your address & I will mail it to him if he still wants it.

Keep us posted on your experiences with the new bike, please. The wife & I have sold our Buells & are looking for something else.

Good Luck!
Murf
I will tell him, he is always tinkering with his Buell but he is becoming a fairly good 'street" mechanic with it. Thanks for the congrats. It took some convincing to give up my HD. I have already found the power, ride, and styling very pleasing.

We bought it at Breeze Cycle in Omaha. He said it was the easiest most relaxed motorcycle purchase he has ever done. They gave me a really nice jacket with leather and armor. We went to Wichita and road one there, a white one but I liked the Saphire Blue and the people at Breeze (Mom & Pop shop) liked to talk motorcycles.....any motorcycles and about riding in general. Not much of mark down off of MSRP but gave a really good trade $$ on my sportster. It just seemed that the shop was run by people who love motorcycling and turned it into a business. Plus they even said the Extended $3400 warranty was "expensive" and made zero attempt to push for it.

The Wichita shop would not trade very fairly on the HD, we know trading is basically taking a loss to some degree but their trade offer was a beating and when we said the blue one was what I wanted, they basically told us that they had what they had and didn't seem interested in getting a Blue one for me. I told them that if they could match the deal I would get the White one. No where even close, then said they will not do any warranty work on a bike not bought there......Ok no problem......wrote the check to Breeze.

Giving up his Uly I doubt will happen but he is already saying he might let his HD Ultra go for the 2013 triumph Explorer they had on the showroom floor. Just a pleasant experience dealing with them. I am happy with my Blue Tiger. Lowering links are ordered and he will get them on next week for me.
Ms.KAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #18468
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Yeah, We went to Wichita and didn't feel too comfy with them. we may have to check out Breeze. Thanks!

Murf
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #18469
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,458
The Cure For Wind Screen Buffeting

Well, after another 150 mile day trip into LA yesterday I was finally getting completely fed up with the buffeting at freeway speeds - like anything over about 70 or if there are any cars around or any headwind. It would litterally turn me into a bobble-head.

I've read alll the replacement windshield threads and posts, and it seems the Madstadt for $300 or so is a good solution. Being the cheap bastard that I am I thought I would first see what could be done with the stock screen to make it work.

I saw the post on the cut-down one, seems do-able but makes a mess of it since you can't replace the edge lip nor flip that the stock one has.

So I took the fasterners out and started fiddling with angles and how possibly additional brackets could be made to reposition it.

What I discovered is that it seems the factory drilled the front two holes in the wrong place. I used a 'forstener' bit (flat-bottomed hole) to drill two lower mounting holes so as to make the screen tilt further back.

It attaches the same as stock but now sweeps back over the gauge cluster. If you look at the side profile it actually looks like this is what was intended for the design.

Went out for a test ride - OH MY GOD!!! All the way up to 95, up and down the freeway, cars and headwind - the buffeting is gone. I get clean air now and the blast hits right at the top of my helmet. I can feel my jacket buffeting but not my head and that's what I was after. So I'm gonna run this for awhile before spending any money on a replacement screen. So far I couldn't be happier.

I suspect the combination of air space at the bottom, along with the lower more streamlined position, has eliminated the bad wind behind it. An additional benefit is that you can now reach under it to clean the headlight housing and lower inside edge of the screen.

I've since put a couple of stickers over the old holes 'till something more permanent comes to mind. Like maybe an additional set of gromets and a couple of black nylon machine screws. Even just leaving the holes isn't that bad, nobody looks that close at your windshield anyway.

browneye screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 01:53 PM
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #18470
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 360
Question Tat-?

I rode the TAT from TN to NM previously and plan to ride from NM to OR next year.

Anyone ride their XC from NM to OR on the TAT?

BTW-I just rode my XC on the Continental Divide Ride from Eureka, MT to Rawlins, WY and it did very well!

I have the option of riding my WR250R or my XR650L next year, but just love my XC and am considering it for the TAT.
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith

PYG RYDR screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 01:13 PM
PYG RYDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #18471
Crab bait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post

looks awesome
Crab bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #18472
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.KAG View Post
then said they will not do any warranty work on a bike not bought there.
That would be enough for me to never darken their door again.

What a bunch of asshats.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #18473
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Well, after another 150 mile day trip into LA yesterday I was finally getting completely fed up with the buffeting at freeway speeds - like anything over about 70 or if there are any cars around or any headwind. It would litterally turn me into a bobble-head.

I've read alll the replacement windshield threads and posts, and it seems the Madstadt for $300 or so is a good solution. Being the cheap bastard that I am I thought I would first see what could be done with the stock screen to make it work.

I saw the post on the cut-down one, seems do-able but makes a mess of it since you can't replace the edge lip nor flip that the stock one has.

So I took the fasterners out and started fiddling with angles and how possibly additional brackets could be made to reposition it.

What I discovered is that it seems the factory drilled the front two holes in the wrong place. I used a 'forstener' bit (flat-bottomed hole) to drill two lower mounting holes so as to make the screen tilt further back.

It attaches the same as stock but now sweeps back over the gauge cluster. If you look at the side profile it actually looks like this is what was intended for the design.

Went out for a test ride - OH MY GOD!!! All the way up to 95, up and down the freeway, cars and headwind - the buffeting is gone. I get clean air now and the blast hits right at the top of my helmet. I can feel my jacket buffeting but not my head and that's what I was after. So I'm gonna run this for awhile before spending any money on a replacement screen. So far I couldn't be happier.

I suspect the combination of air space at the bottom, along with the lower more streamlined position, has eliminated the bad wind behind it. An additional benefit is that you can now reach under it to clean the headlight housing and lower inside edge of the screen.

I've since put a couple of stickers over the old holes 'till something more permanent comes to mind. Like maybe an additional set of gromets and a couple of black nylon machine screws. Even just leaving the holes isn't that bad, nobody looks that close at your windshield anyway.
That is one hell of a good idea, thanks. I will try it and probably take the spoiler off and see how it works.

Jerry
Old 09-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #18474
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Rotella T6

I recently completed an oil change on my 800XC, and used Spectro oil. I have read on other forums, that riders are using Rotella T6 5-40 in their Tigers. I'm curious - are others on this forum using Rotella in their Tiger? If so, do you have any feedback to offer on your opinions of the oil?
SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #18475
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
I recently completed an oil change on my 800XC, and used Spectro oil. I have read on other forums, that riders are using Rotella T6 5-40 in their Tigers. I'm curious - are others on this forum using Rotella in their Tiger? If so, do you have any feedback to offer on your opinions of the oil?
Rotella syn is fine. I think spectro is a semi-syn and doesn't perform quite as well as some competing oils, but certainly fine for a shorter OCI. When it gets dirty, change it. I only replace filters on the factory OCI, oil usually drain and fill at about half. But then I'm way OCD on oil changes and only use amsoil. Everybody has their favorite procedure and fluid.

With the huge sump capacity it's kind of a non-issue for the tiger.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #18476
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
I had the same issue on my Harley, but the solution there was to make the shield more upright. Goes to prove it's an individual issue and no one solution will fix everybody's problem

Plugging those hole may bring back the buffeting. They are possibly getting the turbulence from gathering behind the screen. The stickers are a good idea to see if they affect the buffeting before you do a permanent fix-grommets may clean up the look?
doxbike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #18477
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxbike View Post
I had the same issue on my Harley, but the solution there was to make the shield more upright. Goes to prove it's an individual issue and no one solution will fix everybody's problem

Plugging those hole may bring back the buffeting. They are possibly getting the turbulence from gathering behind the screen. The stickers are a good idea to see if they affect the buffeting before you do a permanent fix-grommets may clean up the look?
Hi Bill, nice to see you on the board.

I found a pack of grommets and some black nylon screws in my spares and have installed them. Really cleans it up, improves the look, no longer looks modified.

The worst thing about the stock screen is the dirty air. Wind blast is one thing, as in it's nice to get it off your chest, but I don't mind air at helmet level - my husky is the same way, in fact I prefer it for ventilation. It just needs to be clean and not all broken up. At times it was so bad I could hardly see the road. I got a new Scorpion road helmet (PR in my sig) and it's much better than the old Zox - must be better aerodynamics.

I could tell if I leaned way forward or raised my butt off the seat a couple of inches the air was much cleaner. So I knew that moving the screen back a bit would clean it up a ton. I suspect the air space now at the bottom also serves to reduce the vacuum behind it and thus cleaned it up even more. The difference is astounding.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #18478
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
The one thing the mechanics at my dealer repeated over and over, in fact everyone I spoke with during my stay there when I told them I planned to do my own maintenance after the first service drilled into me to use the fancy Castrol oil then put in the Tiger. They even heard of warranty denials because the wrong brand oil was used. It's a high quality full synthetic and I plan to use nothing else. And, I even went to school with the head chemist's son at Spectro and they do make a fine spectrum of oils....
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #18479
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,321
Come on guys..

Let's not turn this into an oil comparison thread.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #18480
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
The one thing the mechanics at my dealer repeated over and over, in fact everyone I spoke with during my stay there when I told them I planned to do my own maintenance after the first service drilled into me to use the fancy Castrol oil then put in the Tiger. They even heard of warranty denials because the wrong brand oil was used. It's a high quality full synthetic and I plan to use nothing else. And, I even went to school with the head chemist's son at Spectro and they do make a fine spectrum of oils....
I'd have second thoughts about using that dealer. The only tie Triumph has with Castrol is they use their oil new. They cannot require you to use "branded" parts as it is a clear violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. For your reading enjoyment, look here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnu...s_Warranty_Act

There are a host of quality oils on the market. This isn't saying Castrol may not be one of them, just your dealer or Triumph cannot deny service or warranty claims because you use something else.
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote