Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #18946
KiLO
Adventure Cafe

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Each one teach one, Congratulate...DON’T HATE!

No use in quibbling... We're all in this together!
Old 11-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #18947
stacym
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
fuel gauge help

Hello all -

Dad had a little tip over today on the 800xc and now the fuel gauge isn't working. I've read about fuel gauge problems after dealer service, but haven't seen anything about problems after tip overs. I'm not positive what sensors the Tiger has, or how they work, so I thought I'd ask here to see if there's some stuff we can troubleshoot ourselves before taking the bike to the dealer. The instrument panel seems to be working otherwise. Anyone got suggestions?

Thanks,
Stacy
stacym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #18948
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 6,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacym View Post
Hello all -

Dad had a little tip over today on the 800xc and now the fuel gauge isn't working. I've read about fuel gauge problems after dealer service, but haven't seen anything about problems after tip overs. I'm not positive what sensors the Tiger has, or how they work, so I thought I'd ask here to see if there's some stuff we can troubleshoot ourselves before taking the bike to the dealer. The instrument panel seems to be working otherwise. Anyone got suggestions?

Thanks,
Stacy

Has it been topped up with fuel since the tip-over? The level indicator is a float and it's probably just stuck.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #18949
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 6,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondatomic View Post
Browneye,

Ha, well, fair enough. I wouldn't say I'm a noob in motorcycling but I'm for damn sure not an expert. I guess I may be a noob posting to ADVRider since I am more of a reader of the site. I guess I'm an expert reader. I know there are folks that know more than me, and I am not the all knowing authority. If you actually read the site you'll probably get that. But feel free not to.

I started writing that garbage mostly to get buddies into motorcycles; trying to spread the good news. I guess that material isn't really great for this site anyhow. As for the internet being full of drivel, why not make more of it about motorcycles?

I obviously posted it to get more traffic, and the only feedback I received (from some call me tim) is that this wasn't the best way to do so. In hopes of reconciliation I have edited my comment above and created a beautiful signature below. I hope it's to your liking.

Here's a link to keep in mind for the future:
http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Ha well you know it's hard to get a good read of where someone's coming from with just a text message. Again, you just don't know what you don't know. How could you, you're new. It's okay to be new. I did not realize you must be just a youngster. At least that's what's being said.

So we got all kinds of comments from the peanut gallery, but on my post and not about your blog. My bad for stealing your thunder. Some of them thought I was too critical so I thought I would follow up with a little more explanation. Perhaps there will be clarity...or it will just muddy things further. I dunno but I'll give it a shot here.

And yes, I'm a cranky old fart that's been riding like forever, from before most of you were born, so I gets kinda itchy when I see all this hoopla about what motorcycles and riding is all about when you really are just in the learning process yourself. So I should just shut up and let you ramble and let people enjoy what they will out of it.

I see a lot of people around the riding community that are relatively new to the sport of motorcycles and they like to brag and regurgitate what they've heard and read elsewhere because they really don't have the experience to be able to advise anyone about how or what they should do, but they try anyway. It's like noobs posting all kinds of new threads on topics that should fall into the main bike-type threads. Like if you're asking for help about something on your tiger, why would you post a new thread when there's one here (this one) that is an absolute treasure trove of information. Before I bought my Tiger I started at post one and read through the entire thread. Have you done that yet?

So really, my comment comes from being just a little incensed that you would come along with your own little story (blog) and insert it into this thread of owners who in my opinion are more knowledgable and well versed about everything that is Tiger 800, than anywhere in the world. It didn't seem like you came here to learn from or respect these owners, but more to say 'look at me, I have my own web story about everything Tiger 800.'

Your reply almost sounded like an apology and I'm not sure why, but then your link to the basement is basically a 'fuck-you' go to the basement thing so there you have it.

I must have sounded harsher than I intended because there's no harm. So carry on and become part of the community. Or not. Doesn't really matter.

You did ask for feedback. I guess you really didn't want it, you just wanted admirers for your blog site.

One thing I can tell you is if you're going to survive as a long time motorcyclist is you're gonna have to be tough. Let things roll off, roll with the punches, when you dump it get up and dust off and get going again, and you need some thick skin for this forum or there will be all manner of things and a few inmates that will just get under your skin.

browneye screwed with this post 11-15-2013 at 09:13 PM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:26 PM   #18950
tdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
I had the same exact failure (stuck in first gear), they replaced the shaft assy on mine (parts pivot gearchange shaft assy T1191194, pivot plate TT1194525, pivot plate spring T1190123).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr70 View Post
Had a transmission failure on mine about a month ago at 2000 miles. Stuck in the first gear with no upshift. Was a sucky ride home. All fixed now and shifts way better than it did before.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #18951
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Forums need to be viewed as if we were all out in the middle of nowhere, just BS-ing. At that point, experience, bike, gear, etc doesn't mean a thing. Unfortunately, that somehow gets lost.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #18952
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 4,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Ha well you know it's hard to get a good read of where someone's coming from with just a text message. Again, you just don't know what you don't know. How could you, you're new. It's okay to be new. I did not realize you must be just a youngster. At least that's what's being said.

So we got all kinds of comments from the peanut gallery, but on my post and not about your blog. My bad for stealing your thunder. Some of them thought I was too critical so I thought I would follow up with a little more explanation. Perhaps there will be clarity...or it will just muddy things further. I dunno but I'll give it a shot here.

And yes, I'm a cranky old fart that's been riding like forever, from before most of you were born, so I gets kinda itchy when I see all this hoopla about what motorcycles and riding is all about when you really are just in the learning process yourself. So I should just shut up and let you ramble and let people enjoy what they will out of it.

I see a lot of people around the riding community that are relatively new to the sport of motorcycles and they like to brag and regurgitate what they've heard and read elsewhere because they really don't have the experience to be able to advise anyone about how or what they should do, but they try anyway. It's like noobs posting all kinds of new threads on topics that should fall into the main bike-type threads. Like if you're asking for help about something on your tiger, why would you post a new thread when there's one here (this one) that is an absolute treasure trove of information. Before I bought my Tiger I started at post one and read through the entire thread. Have you done that yet?

So really, my comment comes from being just a little incensed that you would come along with your own little story (blog) and insert it into this thread of owners who in my opinion are more knowledgable and well versed about everything that is Tiger 800, than anywhere in the world. It didn't seem like you came here to learn from or respect these owners, but more to say 'look at me, I have my own web story about everything Tiger 800.'

Your reply almost sounded like an apology and I'm not sure why, but then your link to the basement is basically a 'fuck-you' go to the basement thing so there you have it.

I must have sounded harsher than I intended because there's no harm. So carry on and become part of the community. Or not. Doesn't really matter.

You did ask for feedback. I guess you really didn't want it, you just wanted admirers for your blog site.

One thing I can tell you is if you're going to survive as a long time motorcyclist is you're gonna have to be tough. Let things roll off, roll with the punches, when you dump it get up and dust off and get going again, and you need some thick skin for this forum or there will be all manner of things and a few inmates that will just get under your skin.
Hey Browneye, these two posts of yours regarding the "new" dude remind me of when Alice in the Wonderland fell down the Rabbit Hole and into some bizarre shit. Where are you going with this?

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #18953
bondatomic
friend of motorbikes

Oddometer: 45
Heated grips

Guys, I put the OEM heated grips on my Tiger in the spring last year and felt like the vibration in the grips increased a bit. The rubber is a little harder than the stock grips. I've done some searching and looks like there isn't much for bar end weights when you have the OEM hardguards. Anyone else run into this?
Old 11-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #18954
tedesco886
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdv View Post
I had the same exact failure (stuck in first gear), they replaced the shaft assy on mine (parts pivot gearchange shaft assy T1191194, pivot plate TT1194525, pivot plate spring T1190123).
In case we're taking a tally, I had that same problem as well. Stopped at a stoplight, downshifted as normal into first and then it wouldn't come out of first. Luckily I was only a couple miles from home and triumph covered it under warranty.
tedesco886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #18955
CRFan1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedesco886 View Post
In case we're taking a tally, I had that same problem as well. Stopped at a stoplight, downshifted as normal into first and then it wouldn't come out of first. Luckily I was only a couple miles from home and triumph covered it under warranty.
What year Tigers is this happening on...you guys have me nervous on my new 2013....
CRFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #18956
Rubberlegs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
What year Tigers is this happening on...you guys have me nervous on my new 2013....
Ah my god.. People take a freaking CHILL PILL..

Firstly, It is not because that ONE or TWO people have an issue that the planet is going to crash into the sun. A shifing issue is hardly any reason to declaire a TRANSMISSION faliure. A transmission FALIURE would be when it explodes-- gears all over the place.. etc.

Bikes come with warranties. This is to compensate for the eventuality that there may be a problem.

Bikes are made up of throusands of pieces that are designed and built by human beings and like all things involving human beings sometimes something goes wrong. Get it fixed and move on and enjoy your bike.
Rubberlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #18957
tdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Mine is 2013.

The dealer said that this part was on recall on a previous year's bike but not 2013, but they fixed it through warranty anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Old 11-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #18958
tdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, tell me how chill you'll feel when your bike stops shifting a long way from home. For me, luckily, it was "only" 25 miles on a highway, so I made it (the bikes gets almost to 65 in first gear, but still no fun). I don't exactly care what broke inside but transmission did fail at its primary function: shifting gears.

This is a known enough issue to have a recall on 2012 bikes. Perhaps mine is an early 2013 one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberlegs View Post
Ah my god.. People take a freaking CHILL PILL..

Firstly, It is not because that ONE or TWO people have an issue that the planet is going to crash into the sun. A shifing issue is hardly any reason to declaire a TRANSMISSION faliure. A transmission FALIURE would be when it explodes-- gears all over the place.. etc.

Bikes come with warranties. This is to compensate for the eventuality that there may be a problem.

Bikes are made up of throusands of pieces that are designed and built by human beings and like all things involving human beings sometimes something goes wrong. Get it fixed and move on and enjoy your bike.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #18959
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Have him refill the tank and ride around awhile then slosh the gas around a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacym View Post
Hello all -

Thanks,
Stacy
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #18960
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdv View Post

This is a known enough issue to have a recall on 2012 bikes. Perhaps mine is an early 2013 one..
I have a 2012 and haven't received a recall and fortunately no shifting problems.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote