Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #19816
CRFan1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Just ordered a Sargent seat for my 2013 Rodie.....I swear that is the last damn thing I will put on it.....
CRFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #19817
cwadej
Keeper of the truth

Oddometer: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMaster View Post
I had tentatively decided to get a saddlebag mounting rack from HappyTrails for my new XC. Now that I have it in the flesh and can see how far out the rack will have to go to clear the muffler, I'm not so gung-ho on that option.

Anybody have any personal feedback on the factory bags?
I know they aren't a robust option when it comes to tipovers, but I don't anticipate getting very adventurous with the bike (I don't bounce very well anymore ). Dirt and gravel roads - yes, trails - no.

No personal feedback on the factory bags.

I am due to get the HT racks any day now. I plan to get a GPR can as it's the narrowest over all width i can find. Then I'm going to cut the HT racks to just clear the can. I'm hoping to narrow the racks by an inch or 2 total width. I'll mount Pelican cases on them when done.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #19818
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwadej View Post
No personal feedback on the factory bags.

I am due to get the HT racks any day now. I plan to get a GPR can as it's the narrowest over all width i can find. Then I'm going to cut the HT racks to just clear the can. I'm hoping to narrow the racks by an inch or 2 total width. I'll mount Pelican cases on them when done.
Sorry, did not catch that.

I have the factory side bags

pro: Helmet fits in the left bag, great for urban duties, love the size, and ignition key lock. Triumph has done well to keep on making their sadle bags better and better over the years. I like the side load for urban duty.

cons: Not going to be as safe for downs off road, side load for gear, top load would be better for touring duty.

The SW motec racks where really good on the KLR, and it would be cool if I could afford a different set of panniers for LD missions. But the factory bags will do. When I head to AK I will be taking some extra straps in case the mounts break on the luggage. I don't expect to go down on the Dalton, but .....
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #19819
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,699
I'm creeping up on 13K miles at a smidgen over 1 year old.

Last weekend I did something rather unusual, for me. I came home from work, grabbed a few things to throw into the saddlebags and took off. No plan, no destination, and it was almost dark when I left on Friday evening.

By Sunday I had gone through eight or ten tanks of fuel and put 1130 miles behind me, averaging 62 mph moving speed and 27 mph over the total hours of the trip. Best estimate is that I spent about 24 hours in the saddle over those 42 hours going around the block. (as I stayed in Texas it was just a short local ride ... around a very large block) Fuel mileage was in the range of 38-40 mpg consistently.

I must first compliment Triumph on the OEM seat. Seldom am I so spontaneous, and being so I didn't pack my bicycle shorts for those long hours in the saddle. (I forgot toothbrush, shampoo, shaver, etc. too) In my experience the seams on my skivvies across the back of the thighs will become torture devices after about a few hundred miles or so on bikes I've owned. This never happened on this ride. Still, I will likely get the Tall seat from Seat Concepts to relieve the knee bend angle, but even that wasn't much of a bother at all.

It was a great ride, fine weather, and I rode to the end of the Southernmost highway in the state before turning around and heading home.

Mostly, I appreciated all the 70, 75, and 80 mph posted speed limits along the way.

Good times.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #19820
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,232
When are you coming to AK? If you end up around Anchorage or D2D, give me a shout if you need anything. I'll be on my KLR for D2D only because I haven't even picked the Tiger up yet much less have many farkles for it. If the Dempster is dry, then your speed is only determined by your fuel mileage. I wouldn't want to think about it wet in some sections. I did it last year and saw no rain the entire trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoneRider View Post
Sorry, did not catch that.

I have the factory side bags

pro: Helmet fits in the left bag, great for urban duties, love the size, and ignition key lock. Triumph has done well to keep on making their sadle bags better and better over the years. I like the side load for urban duty.

cons: Not going to be as safe for downs off road, side load for gear, top load would be better for touring duty.

The SW motec racks where really good on the KLR, and it would be cool if I could afford a different set of panniers for LD missions. But the factory bags will do. When I head to AK I will be taking some extra straps in case the mounts break on the luggage. I don't expect to go down on the Dalton, but .....
Old 04-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #19821
mikeysduck
Slow Ride to Nowhere

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
MotoTex I rode to the end of the Southernmost highway in the state before turning around and heading home.
So, you zipped down around Harlingen / Brownsville? Never been there. That's looks like it's off the beaten path.

14 R1200RT 09 KTM 450 EXCR 75 Norton 850 E-Start It's going to run. I swear! 69 Z-50A Mini Trail with Lights 03 GasGas 280 Pro 03 CRF 230
mikeysduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #19822
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysduck View Post
So, you zipped down around Harlingen / Brownsville? Never been there. That's looks like it's off the beaten path.
It is that.

Had been wanting to go take a look, knock out that last of the state's four corners, so to speak. Wouldn't recommend the trip to anyone who didn't have a reason to go, but it was a nice enough place to visit while passing through. Just too many straight roads.

Fortunately, I took a "shortcut" by first going West a couple of hundred miles to Junction where there were some curvy roads to begin that long ride South on Saturday. Went through Uvalde, Laredo, Rio Bravo, Zapata, and other names from Western movies that were the towns on the way down.

It was kinda special running out to the end of Highway 4, Boca Chica Blvd., knowing I was at the Southernmost point on Texas highways. Staring out into the Gulf of Mexico, able to easily see Mexico from the shore.

Also saw the carrier, U.S.S. Forestall, in the Port of Brownsville being scrapped. Weird seeing something as big as that with what looked like severe termite damage where the steel was being cut away to remove the innards.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:05 AM   #19823
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
When are you coming to AK? If you end up around Anchorage or D2D, give me a shout if you need anything. I'll be on my KLR for D2D only because I haven't even picked the Tiger up yet much less have many farkles for it. If the Dempster is dry, then your speed is only determined by your fuel mileage. I wouldn't want to think about it wet in some sections. I did it last year and saw no rain the entire trip.
Definitely, dates and such are fluctuating. But I will let you know if I get up there. Don't know about Anchorage this time though, Fairbanks up to Prudhoe Bay are the targets, with the Denali HWY being the closest.

If I am more efficient than my guestimates, I want to get back to McCarthy as well. I wish I had more time, but at best I will be able to push my vacation to 18/19 days total, and this one is going to be close to 12k miles, or a planned average of about 670 miles/day. Lower 48 days are all going to be close to 900 miles.

And I would also like to do the Robert Campbell HWY this time around as well. So I will be taking a 3G Ropax tank, that I will always keep full, and a 2G that I will only put gas in when I pass through Watson Lake. In Ross River or Carmacks I will likely give the 2G tank away. Having to wait in Ross River for a gas truck would be inconvenient, even though it is gorgeous countryside.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #19824
bentonmyers
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by najisaurus View Post
this may sound stupid, but i just like like the look of spoke rim wheels..
but you have a point, one of the reasons i didnt get an XC was because it required tubes..
The tiger 800 is on my short list as well and my quandry is the wheels. I love the looks, durability and "pot hole/ off road worthiness" of the spokes and 21" front wheel. However I have only had to repair 2 flats on the road in my life and one of them was on the Dalton highway. You just can't beat the convienence of running a plug in it and running on down the road!! No need to even remove the wheel.
bentonmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #19825
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentonmyers View Post
The tiger 800 is on my short list as well and my quandry is the wheels. I love the looks, durability and "pot hole/ off road worthiness" of the spokes and 21" front wheel. However I have only had to repair 2 flats on the road in my life and one of them was on the Dalton highway. You just can't beat the convienence of running a plug in it and running on down the road!! No need to even remove the wheel.
Were those flats on the front or rear?

If the latter, you could just put a roadie rear wheel on the XC; they are the same size and fit. Then you would have a tubeless rear.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #19826
onetire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Spokes

I sealed my rear spokes and have been running tubeless for over 10k miles with no problems. The front is easy to remove the tube for repair.
onetire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #19827
ccrat
Dumb as a box of hair

Oddometer: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMaster View Post
Anybody have any personal feedback on the factory bags?
I know they aren't a robust option when it comes to tipovers, but I don't anticipate getting very adventurous with the bike (I don't bounce very well anymore ). Dirt and gravel roads - yes, trails - no.
I do. I was an 800XC "early adopter", so there weren't any other options at the time. I ordered the factory panniers at the same time that I ordered my bike, and so far they've seen close to 30K miles.

The factory panniers aren't as "pretty" or heavy duty as some of the other options, but they hold up fine for my use. I live on a dirt road in the Mohave Desert. Anywhere I ride involves some amount of "off-road" travel. Many of the dirt roads in my area are extremely rocky. I've never actually dropped the Tiger, but I have no reason to believe that the factory panniers would be damaged in a low speed tipover.

On the plus side, they remove from the bike in seconds and are easy to load. The left side pannier will hold an adult helmet with ease.

About a year ago I made a cross-country (across the USA) highway trip with them, which involved many, many hours in absolute downpours. Nothing inside the factory panniers got wet.

I may someday opt for more rugged, and adventuresome-looking panniers, but these have worked fine - and I never have issues finding other things to spend money on.

There you have it.

ccrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #19828
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetire View Post
I sealed my rear spokes and have been running tubeless for over 10k miles with no problems. The front is easy to remove the tube for repair.
Very, very interesting, how was that sealing accomplished?

Is the rim in good balance on its own afterwards?

How expensive was it?

tia!
Old 04-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #19829
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

I found KTM Modded Wheels

And the guys method look pretty decent. Don't know if I will try it before my trip to AK this Spring/Summer. But I am thinking I will this fall!
Old 04-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #19830
onetire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
There is a method that Woody's wheel works documented in this thread on how to do it. I followed his directions. Cleaning was the most important thing. He also offers to do it for you for a price.
onetire is online now   Reply With Quote