Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #2071
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
The pictures I have seen do not show any adjustments. Hope I am wrong.
After looking at the specs vs what I see in the pics. No adjustable forks on the street version in the pics and no claim in the ads that the bike has them. Only the ad for the XC makes that claim so maybe it is true.

I find adjustment very handy myself, in spite of what most people do. True enough, if the suspension is grossly mismatched for your weight, load or terrain it won't solve the problem. But if not, I don't know any other way to set sag, slow or speed up rebound or compression without digging into the internals. How much you use them depend where and how you ride.

Sorry for quoting myself.

itsatdm screwed with this post 11-14-2010 at 12:43 PM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #2072
Keithy
Chaotically Keith

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by hANNAbONE
sadly...no adjustable front shocks
Can we have a source of the information?
Keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #2073
TheBlacksmith
Hog Ridin' Fool

Oddometer: 33
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hANNAbONE
sadly...no adjustable front shocks
There are no shocks on the front at all, its not a tele-lever.
It appears it will have adjustable fork rates though.
Gotta be some good stuff on there to weigh 5 kilos more and $1000 premium. The wheels should be lighter on the XC as well.
TheBlacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #2074
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlacksmith
There are no shocks on the front at all, its not a tele-lever.
It appears it will have adjustable fork rates though.
Gotta be some good stuff on there to weigh 5 kilos more and $1000 premium. The wheels should be lighter on the XC as well.
The XC has Excel wheels.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:56 PM   #2075
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,043
The best way to settle this is have Wes Siler from HFL take the XC down the same road on which he wrecked the F800GS and see if he rolls the XC better or worse than the F800........
John Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #2076
Xrdolittle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WormShanks
My local (US) Triumph dealer is now showing adj. front on their web site. That's good! I find the price acceptable now . If it actually turns out not to be true that would be one major f'up.

http://www.bigtwincycles.com/new_veh...ModelYear=2011

Umm... WormShanks.... you better read that Triumph Dealer's website once again. Here is the actual statement from the webpage...

"
Suspension
Chunky 45 millimeter upside down forks adorn the front side of the Tiger 800 XC with preload and rebound adjustability at the rear. Long travel for comfort on road and compliance off. "

It says nothing of adjustability for the front forks! Just the rear.
Xrdolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #2077
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
The XC has Excel wheels.
Excellent
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #2078
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
The XC has Excel wheels.
I reckon thats a good thing and they should stand up to a bit of punishment.

Just like the other silly details that have been singled out and argued over, about this bike, I find the lack of suspension adjusters no big deal. It looks like theres a cap on the top of the forks, so adding an after market pre load adjuster won't be that difficult. From there you can mess with the valving if you want to.

The people that really want fully adjustable suspension are the ones that are most likely to modify it and go with all manner of after bits anyway, so I can see why a manufacturer finds a happy medium to keep the overall price down.
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #2079
Cincadas
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Pics.

http://www.emoto.com/essais/triumph-tiger-800-6817.php

Cincadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #2080
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,504
Nice, dig that flat torque curve.

Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #2081
WormShanks
b00b

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrdolittle
Umm... WormShanks.... you better read that Triumph Dealer's website once again. Here is the actual statement from the webpage...

"
Suspension
Chunky 45 millimeter upside down forks adorn the front side of the Tiger 800 XC with preload and rebound adjustability at the rear. Long travel for comfort on road and compliance off. "

It says nothing of adjustability for the front forks! Just the rear.
I linked the specs (or thought I did), not the "features". Here's what it says in the"Specs, Quotes, Overview" -

Suspension
Front: Showa 45 mm upside down forks with adjustable preload, rebound and compression damping, 8.66 in. (220 mm) travel
Rear: Showa monoshock with adjustable preload and rebound damping 8.47 in. (215 mm) rear wheel travel

I'm pretty sure that's something about adjustability .

Ridden: AF AM AW AU AT AZ BS BH BD BB BY BW BV BR IO BN BG BF BI KH CM CA CZ DK SV GQ ER EE ET FK GI GR GP VA HN HK HU IS IN ID IR IQ KI KP KG LA LV LB LU NR NP NL AN NC NZ NI NE NO OM PK PR QA RE RO RU RW LC VC WS SM ST TM TC TV UG UA AE GB US UY UZ VU YE
WormShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #2082
Ducken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Question Tiger 800 XC R

Short survey -or- Letter to the Man. (Mr Bloor?, or the man in charge of Tiger 800 Marketing/Development decisions.)

Dear Sir,
Alright, before it's too late, if it's not already, how about adding some value to the extra $1000 I'm going to pay for the XC model. Of course I'm referring to having fully adjustable suspension, (preload, compression, and rebound) both front and rear. I'm also paying an extra $800 for ABS, before we quit, how about another $200 for radial front calipers, as listed on some of the spec sheets. I have them on my Street Triple R and think they are fantastic. (Both power and feel / feedback.) If you don't want to deal with having too many model variations, okay, give me the adjustable suspension on the XC for the first $1000. Lump the ABS in with the radial brakes and change the bump in price to $1000 for those and call it a XC R. Thank you, Sir.

More cost effective to do it right the first time, than after purchase. What do the fellow inmates think?
So, I reread this, and maybe it's not clear what I meant:
Tiger 800 $10,000. Tiger 800 ABS $10,800. Tiger 800XC $11,000. Tiger 800XC R ABS $12,000. Better?

Ducken screwed with this post 11-14-2010 at 07:58 PM
Ducken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:52 PM   #2083
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

"Dear Mr Bloor. I'm not happy with what I think you're building. I want what you're actually building. I demand it. Thank you"

"Suspension
Front: Showa 45 mm upside down forks with adjustable preload, rebound and compression damping, 8.66 in. (220 mm) travel
Rear: Showa monoshock with adjustable preload and rebound damping 8.47 in. (215 mm) rear wheel travel"
Old 11-14-2010, 08:00 PM   #2084
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducken
Short survey -or- Letter to the Man. (Mr Bloor?, or the man in charge of Tiger 800 Marketing/Development decisions.)

Dear Sir,
Alright, before it's too late, if it's not already, how about adding some value to the extra $1000 I'm going to pay for the XC model. Of course I'm referring to having fully adjustable suspension, (preload, compression, and rebound) both front and rear. I'm also paying an extra $800 for ABS, before we quit, how about another $200 for radial front calipers, as listed on some of the spec sheets. I have them on my Street Triple R and think they are fantastic. (Both power and feel / feedback.) If you don't want to deal with having too many model variations, okay, give me the adjustable suspension on the XC for the first $1000. Lump the ABS in with the radial brakes and change the bump in price to $1000 for those and call it a XC R. Thank you, Sir.

More cost effective to do it right the first time, than after purchase. What do the fellow inmates think?

I personally would want a fully adjustable front suspension, on any bike I am paying over 10K. Kept me from looking more into the F800GS. If this bike is going to see some dirt, and there are those of us who would use it in the dirt, that option is crucial to tuning the ride. I am sure it will be a great bike, as they all are.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #2085
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni
Nice, dig that flat torque curve.
Me likey, especially since I almost never rev over 5000-6000 rpm. I like the fact it drifts up, rather than down like the Street Triple in that area. About the only time I ever go above 5K or so is when I realize that semi is a bit closer than I thought and I need to pass the mini-van more rapidly.