Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #21226
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
OK. Thanks for that. So 6204s and one 6205?

I'm guessing those are brands?

JG
Yes four of the 6204 and one of the 6205. Don't forget the 2RS bit. Fiver each ain't too bad http://www.qualitybearingsonline.com...KA4aAoGN8P8HAQ

Yes they're brands. European. Any decent bearing supplier should be able to get them.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #21227
The Haymaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
OK. Thanks for that. So 6204s and one 6205?

I'm guessing those are brands?

JG
2x 6204 in the front and rear, and 1x 6205 in the rear. Stay away from kits, such as AllBalls. Yes, SKF and FAG are manufacturers.

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php?topic=10873.0

https://www.facebook.com/groups/adventureridemaine/
The Haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #21228
The Haymaker
Gnarly Adventurer

This'll drive the safety police nuts. Bearings showed no play, but were notchy. I popped the seals, flushed with brake cleaner and air, regreased.

It's a holiday here and I have nearly 1000 miles to do for my work in the next 4 days.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #21229
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Haymaker View Post
2x 6204 in the front and rear, and 1x 6205 in the rear. Stay away from kits, such as AllBalls. Yes, SKF and FAG are manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Yes four of the 6204 and one of the 6205. Don't forget the 2RS bit. Fiver each ain't too bad http://www.qualitybearingsonline.com...KA4aAoGN8P8HAQ

Yes they're brands. European. Any decent bearing supplier should be able to get them.
Thanks fellas!

Bookmarked this page.

JG

To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life.
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #21230
klinquist
bergeek

Oddometer: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Glad to see you put the mend on the damage and can continue your trip.

We'll see. If my triumph replacement part does indeed arrive on Wed as expected, I'll use the new part. This will be used in case it doesn't.

Hopefully the four rubber skid plate standoffs arrive on schedule as well. The dealer has a BMW part that looks identical - but only two. Might use two of those in the back then epoxy two of the broken ones for the front...

Sitting here in a hotel room while looking at the rest of my group's pictures are killing me!
Old 09-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #21231
The Haymaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks fellas!

Bookmarked this page.

JG
Yer welcome!

Old 09-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #21232
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Paddy View Post
I'm thinking about putting this pet carrier on the tail

http://www.thepawsmahal.com/pet-pala...e-pet-carrier/

Will these attach to the bike the way it is or do I need some sort of luggage rack? My XR650 came with saddlebags on it from the previous owner so I'm unfamiliar with this process. I just want that carrier so I can bring my dog,
Waiting to go to work this morning...

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #21233
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
We'll see. If my triumph replacement part does indeed arrive on Wed as expected, I'll use the new part. This will be used in case it doesn't.

Hopefully the four rubber skid plate standoffs arrive on schedule as well. The dealer has a BMW part that looks identical - but only two. Might use two of those in the back then epoxy two of the broken ones for the front...

Sitting here in a hotel room while looking at the rest of my group's pictures are killing me!
Since your pan will hold oil now that it is JB Welded, I would just M8 bolt the skid plate to the oil pan, connect everything back up and just ride. You are going to replace the oil pan anyway, so what if it takes another hit? Have the dealer forward your parts to your house and you can replace it when you get home.

Get out and ride K!! (This is my $0.02 from my couch in suburbia... )

And bring more JB Weld....

Tahoe

To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life.
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #21234
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Since your pan will hold oil now that it is JB Welded, I would just M8 bolt the skid plate to the oil pan, connect everything back up and just ride. You are going to replace the oil pan anyway, so what if it takes another hit? Have the dealer forward your parts to your house and you can replace it when you get home.

Get out and ride K!! (This is my $0.02 from my couch in suburbia... )

And bring more JB Weld....

Tahoe
I sort of agree with that. But I'd be thinking of securing it with some wire to the footpegs at the back and pulling it tight against a huge piece of closed cell foam so that it's got a good cushion against the repaired sump.
Hope you get back out there soon.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:30 AM   #21235
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Haymaker View Post

thank goodness you got the part number right.....

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #21236
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

He copied from my post immediately above his.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #21237
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,054
I just replaced front wheel bearings at 11,000 miles. IMHO the spacers are a lousy design with no lip. For some reason the spacer on the right does not sit flush on the fork and if I push it tight the brake fiscal drags. Something is not right or not good enough with the front axle. 11,000 mostly street miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2014, 09:23 AM   #21238
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I just replaced front wheel bearings at 11,000 miles. IMHO the spacers are a lousy design with no lip. For some reason the spacer on the right does not sit flush on the fork and if I push it tight the brake fiscal drags. Something is not right or not good enough with the front axle. 11,000 mostly street miles.
The spacers are a great design as; when they get a groove worn in them you can turn them around and put the smooth bit under the seal. The material could be harder though.
What's a "brake fiscal"?
I suspect what you're seeing is perfectly normal because the spindle clamps all the spacers and wheel together and the fork leg (with the pinch bolts) will sit slightly off the spacer when it is aligned in its bushes correctly. It really is a perfectly good design when you understand how it's supposed to look.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #21239
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,054
That was meant to say brake disk. If I push the right fork to the spacer and tighten the pinch bolts the disk will not align with the caliper. My DR650 has 14,000 miles and lives in water, dirt and rocks and is still on the factory sealed one one side bearings. The DR's spacers have a decent lip that snaps into the seal. They do not fall out as easy when mounting and seem to seal better with the lip on the spacer. I think, and I am no expert, that a steel spacer with a lip would be an improvement. I am glad I luckily noticed the bad bearings while washing the bike on the center stand. It sounded clicky so I checked much sooner that I normally would have. It has been through water a few times but I never expected them to be bad already. I could not spin the bearings by hand.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #21240
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
That was meant to say brake disk. If I push the right fork to the spacer and tighten the pinch bolts the disk will not align with the caliper. My DR650 has 14,000 miles and lives in water, dirt and rocks and is still on the factory sealed one one side bearings. The DR's spacers have a decent lip that snaps into the seal. They do not fall out as easy when mounting and seem to seal better with the lip on the spacer. I think, and I am no expert, that a steel spacer with a lip would be an improvement. I am glad I luckily noticed the bad bearings while washing the bike on the center stand. It sounded clicky so I checked much sooner that I normally would have. It has been through water a few times but I never expected them to be bad already. I could not spin the bearings by hand.

Every time I have need to re-install a wheel, I clean and pack that whole area with grease to prevent water getting to the bearings. I don't do a ton of water crossing with mine but I do the same thing on the Husky and other dirt bikes that have/do and it's worked just fine.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote