Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #2566
Keithy
Chaotically Keith

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriondk
I haven't seen these posted here yet so here's a couple of interesting items.

Roll on test in top gear from 25 mph to 100 mph. Very impressed with this.
Nice to know for sure!
Keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:28 PM   #2567
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
This is just not the case with some BIG tires on wide rims.

Even on my DR650 (tube type rims) running a tubeless Avon Distanzia ... we could not break the bead using FOUR BIG tire irons and Three guys. And NO ... side stand from another bike would not work either. We had dish soap ... better than WD40. NO GO. I've been through this with other bikes as well, including my buddies 955i Tiger. Tire irons won't get it.

Sure, if you're running a 50/50 type tire or a soft rather pliable tire, you can get it broken down with good tire iron technique. I rode AMA Enduros for eight years so I know these techniques pretty well. But some big street type tires will not budge. TRust me on this.

Before my buddy discovered using a big C clamp, we tried a variety of bead breakers ... NONE of them worked. The BIG C clamp ... using good technique ... does seem to work pretty well. PITA to carry.

I don't own any bikes that use big tires on wide rims. When I get a sport bike I'll reconsider my technique.

I've used the two iron method on Dunlop D606, D607 & D401, Metzler Tourances & ME77/Lasers, Bridgeston TW101, 152, 41 & 42, Pirelli Scorpion AT's, Micheline Anakees and TKC 80's...

I've also broken the bead with the big POS clamp, a c-clamp and leveraging my truck up on the bead with two 2x4's.. (never with another bike's kickstand though..)

The two iron method isn't the easiest of the bunch, but since I don't bring my truck, a big c-clamp or that POS bead breaker, I like to practice the two iron method for when I'll need it.

Now there may be some hard walled tires out there that I can't break the bead on, but so far I haven't run in to one. I think the important thing is to practice on your bike before you're out in the middle of nowhere. If I find a too tough a tire I'll have to adjust.

Quote:
we could not break the bead using FOUR BIG tire irons and Three guys
I usually find that the more people involved the longer it takes, and if you're using car type tire irons I'd imagine they'd be a pain in the ass. These are my favorites.

Anything bigger than this would be too cumbersom. ...and it should only take two for the bead, then add a third into the mix once the bead is broken.

EDIT: It looks like the 995 Tiger uses the same size tires as my Strom. I've had no issues on the various tires that have been on my Strom, except that it's the first bike I ever worried about marring the rims on. First time I've used rim savers.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...

Boon Booni screwed with this post 11-28-2010 at 02:47 PM
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:25 PM   #2568
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,477
I failed miserable trying to break the bead on the 150 tires using the typical 11" levers carried in my pack. I have been able to break the bead with the one in the above pic. I improved it a bit, by cutting about 1/2" off the working end and reshaping it. This brings the loop portion closer to the rim for better application of force.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #2569
Backmarker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Looks like I stirred up some shit.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #2570
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
I'll chime in here because it was the rear tire on my Triumph Tiger Steamer and Girlies that caused me to research a decent portable bead breaker for my remote territory rides. The rear rim on the older Tigers and my KTM990 150 section rear all use a "safety bead", a lip that holds the bead on from the inside, check it out next time you have the rear tire off. That's what makes them so hard to get off. Soft radial sidewalls coupled with super strong bead lock takes a proper tool to get off. That tool turned out to be the Tyrepliers beadbreaker. It's light, simple, and I've taken off many tires in the field with it; from Tigers, to KTM990/950's to giant Honda Goldwing tires, when nothing else would work. Yes I'm very familar with the kickstand method... if you're lucky enought to have another bike around with just the right foot on the kickstand, etc, etc, ... and tire iron and c-clamp methods, which did not work well at all.

He're a vid I spotted on the misnamed "tyrepliers"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWcMGnISWQM

I slightly bent in the tips of my bead breaker portion to get a better angle of bite. Works really well on my current KTM990 and worked sweet on the Tigers, Goldwings, etc.

Bought them here.
http://www.extremeoutback.com/produc...adbreaker.html

Helge Pederson http://www.globeriders.com/ who does world Adventure tours, a few years ago had a client on a 950 (most were on GS's) and on a big trip in China they had a terrible time getting a flat rear off the bike. I often watch the blogs of these world tours and when they came back to Seattle I recommended the Tirepliers above to them. They liked it so much they featured it in their newsletter soon after and they told me they also carry 2 of them on all their later tours. Pretty good endorsment I'd say.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #2571
N9921X
Wins

Oddometer: 143
First Real Tiger 800 Owner...

I am just wondering, in this whole world of ours, when will the First Tiger 800 or XC be driven home by a real owner???
(If I order one now, I will get it maybe next April) that's Colorado, btw.
N9921X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #2572
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,726
The pieces of crap bead breaker pictured works fine for me. I tik i have had it for about 20 years.

I do like the Tirepliers though.

Just stirring a little more. But a question. What is the 2 tire iron method?

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #2573
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
The pieces of crap bead breaker pictured works fine for me. I tik i have had it for about 20 years.

I do like the Tirepliers though.

Just stirring a little more. But a question. What is the 2 tire iron method?

Here's a whole thread about it.

LINK

My method is a variation of what's described in that thread.

Quote:
I run a Distanzia (with a tube), which is a tubeless tire and a very tough one that will go for 8 or 9000 miles. But breaking the bead requires a real bead breaker. I use a BIG C clamp ... which is a pain to carry.
Reading back through the Easy Peasy Bead Breaking thread, it does seem that Distanzias are a pain to work with.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #2574
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy
Misspelling Baja and Tacos is just illiteracy....Nothing to do with being a Limey (nice French nick huh?)

I will (like you) wait to hear the first hand reports from dirt riders.

You travelled 100 miles on a flat tyre.....I once managed 45 with a flat rear (yeah even in this tiny country it can be difficult to get a tube on a Sunday ) I stuffed the tyre with grass and gave it some beans......Barely noticed the flat tyre above 50 MPH.

Not sure it's possible to get 100 miles away from a bike shop here.....Heck I'd even try a bicycle tube to get me home ;) .....Congrats on the 100!
Not hard to do in California ... here is where it happened.
This is the Carrizo plain in Central California.
I did about 40 on dirt, then 50 or 60 more on pavement into San Luis Obisbo. The bike rode fine (Ultra HD tube and very stiff tire) until the valve stem pulled out. By that time I was in town ... on a Sunday night. Everything shut.

Carrizo Plain

Never ride in Baja on bald tires ....

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 11-28-2010 at 04:54 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #2575
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg
I'll chime in here because it was the rear tire on my Triumph Tiger Steamer and Girlies that caused me to research a decent portable bead breaker for my remote territory rides. The rear rim on the older Tigers and my KTM990 150 section rear all use a "safety bead", a lip that holds the bead on from the inside, check it out next time you have the rear tire off. That's what makes them so hard to get off. Soft radial sidewalls coupled with super strong bead lock takes a proper tool to get off. That tool turned out to be the Tyrepliers beadbreaker. It's light, simple, and I've taken off many tires in the field with it; from Tigers, to KTM990/950's to giant Honda Goldwing tires, when nothing else would work. Yes I'm very familar with the kickstand method... if you're lucky enought to have another bike around with just the right foot on the kickstand, etc, etc, ... and tire iron and c-clamp methods, which did not work well at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWcMGnISWQM

I slightly bent in the tips of my bead breaker portion to get a better angle of bite. Works really well on my current KTM990 and worked sweet on the Tigers, Goldwings, etc.

Bought them here.
http://www.extremeoutback.com/produc...adbreaker.html
This is excellent to hear! I have seen the Tire Plier but not used that one.
Will check it out for sure. I forgot to mention the "safety bead" issue.
Even my DR650 has it.

BTW, I use Ty Davis tire irons .... about 14" long with a handle. Love em'.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #2576
Oriondk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
You guys have really helped me a lot. I've never changed a motorcyle tire. Been riding for over thirty years and never had a flat on the road. It's been something I've been wanting to learn and these links have been a big help. Does anyone have a link on repairing a leak or puncture on a tubeless tire?

DAVE
Oriondk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #2577
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
This is excellent to hear! I have seen the Tire Plier but not used that one.
Will check it out for sure. I forgot to mention the "safety bead" issue.
Even my DR650 has it.

BTW, I use Ty Davis tire irons .... about 14" long with a handle. Love em'.
Aw what the heck, while the topic is on it, here's my full-up remote-solo-trip tire kit. I had converted both my Girlie Tigers into tubeless and my 990S is tubeless so tubes are not featured in my kit, which actually packs quite tight. I carried large radial sidewall patches for BIG holes in the tire. Never had to use 'em.

I could always put a tube in my tubeless setup if desperate. Tubeless served me well way up North AK/NT and remote Nevada deserts. Air up and down as roads/surface dictate. That's enough from me on that...
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #2578
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriondk
You guys have really helped me a lot. I've never changed a motorcyle tire. Been riding for over thirty years and never had a flat on the road. It's been something I've been wanting to learn and these links have been a big help. Does anyone have a link on repairing a leak or puncture on a tubeless tire?
Don't know about a step by step how to. My usual procedure with my tubeless tires is fix it with a string plug. Then once I'm home and have the luxury I'll pull the tire yank the plug and fix it with an automotive style patchplug. It's a patch that vulcanizes to the interior of the tire but also has a plug portion that'll fill the hole made the reamer used for the string plug.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:34 AM   #2579
AL-58
BMWs make good landfill

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg

Why misnamed?

Al

AL-58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:46 AM   #2580
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,525
here is what I use on the 955 tiger. works like a champ

johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote