Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #8161
urquell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Tiger 800 Stalling

"If you dont bring your bike to a dealer he has no way of knowing whats wrong."

I'm not so sure about that. I think Triumph knew what was wrong even before I brought the bike in for service. I think they understood the problem, they just didn't know how to fix it. So neither did their dealers.

Sure, bringing the bike in can help rule out some mechanical issue that is unrelated to the widespread stalling problems. And maybe analysis of the bike can help add to their database of knowledge about the stalling problem. That is ultimately why I decided to bring the bike in for service, even though I strongly suspected it was a total waste of my time.

They could have been honest and said they were aware of a stalling problem, and that I should bring my bike in because they wanted real data to work on the solution. That would have satisfied me, but that is not what they did. And later, they asked me to bring the bike in AFTER the "magic bullet" fix was already in the pipeline, but not yet available to my dealer. They did this even though I made them aware that I knew about it. I therefore wasted my time and did not contribute any real data to the engineers working on a solution.

Triumph could have been direct, but instead they were evasive. Triumph could have been honest, but instead they were certainly not honest. I guess we all can have differing ideas about what constitutes honesty.
honest adj. 1 truthful 2 frank and open

urquell screwed with this post 08-25-2011 at 10:54 AM
urquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:16 AM   #8162
eye.surgeon
...riding California

Oddometer: 221
It's ridiculous to suggest that Triumph should ignore the many reported problems on the internet...I find the information I get right here to be consistently better than what I get at the dealer. Times have changed, the internet provides what manufacturers used to pay good money for and then only at a fraction of the scale, and that is focus grouping and beta testing. If they read the intelligent insights on the bike written in this thread they would be so much further ahead in solving the problem than just relying on what their dealers are telling them.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #8163
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye.surgeon View Post
It's ridiculous to suggest that Triumph should ignore the many reported problems on the internet...I find the information I get right here to be consistently better than what I get at the dealer. Times have changed, the internet provides what manufacturers used to pay good money for and then only at a fraction of the scale, and that is focus grouping and beta testing. If they read the intelligent insights on the bike written in this thread they would be so much further ahead in solving the problem than just relying on what their dealers are telling them.
Poppycock. Are you seriously suggesting a major corporation that builds a product with serious potential safety issues (e.g. a Motorcycle) should use anything it sees on the internet as part of the product management of it's products ? The only thing they can go by is what they and their dealers see/feel/experience with their own eyes.

Taking your username at face value - would you take any advice/ideas from the internet before operating on someone ?

Do I own a '12 800XC ? I know my sig says I do but do I really ?

p.s. I do actually, I just fitted Barkbusters to it but you get my point...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple

Mercury264 screwed with this post 08-25-2011 at 09:38 AM
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #8164
eye.surgeon
...riding California

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Poppycock. Are you seriously suggesting a major corporation that builds a product with serious potential safety issues (e.g. a Motorcycle) should use anything it sees on the internet as part of the product management of it's products ? The only thing they can go by is what they and their dealers see/feel/experience with their own eyes.

Taking your username at face value - would you take any advice/ideas from the internet before operating on someone ?

If I had hundreds of patients on the internet all reporting the same problem with a surgery I was performing, you bet I would use that information to troubleshoot and correct the problem. Triumph sitting back and waiting for dealers to come to them with the problem introduces a substantial delay and a dense filter on the information they are receiving. Welcome to 2011, the internet is THE interface between customer and manufacturer.

eye.surgeon screwed with this post 08-25-2011 at 09:48 AM
eye.surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #8165
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Quote:
If I had hundreds of patients on the internet all reporting the same problem with a surgery I was performing, you bet I would use that information to troubleshoot and correct the problem. Triumph sitting back and waiting for dealers to come to them with the problem introduces a substantial delay and a dense filter on the information they are receiving. Welcome to 2011, the internet is THE interface between customer and manufacturer.
Sorry, not buying it. So you would change a procedure or change a piece of equipment solely on the basis of some internet posts ?

How are Triumph (or anyone for that matter) able to diagnose a problem with a motorcycle over the internet ? The ONLY way they can diagnose the problem is via their dealers. Does that mean they didn't read of the problem via ADV and other forums ? Of course not but as soon as they admit this, every freakin' nutcase will appear on the internet spouting about how bad Triumph is etc.

I work in the business and you're wrong, the internet is not THE interface between customer and manufacturer (if it were, why don't they sell everything over the internet ?) it is ONE of the interfaces.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #8166
woodys3b
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Man, this is getting old. It is what it is, gentlemen. Move on.

Just got back from the dealer where I had the new download installed. I don't have the stalling issue but I was interested to see if it helped with the snatchy throttle. I feel like it did some. Better but not as good as it could be.

I can't notice any fast idle for a couple of seconds like was reported earlier.

Bottom line, the bike runs great and is a tad bit easier to ride.
woodys3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #8167
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,967

Old 08-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #8168
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,540
Service Bulletin 431

I'm not having the stalling problem but I just received a call from my dealer stating that service bulletin 431 has been issued by Triumph and is a software update. Told me to stop by the next time I'm in the area.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #8169
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post

Quote:
I think in a way ... you are both correct. The internet should, IMO, be just one element the OEM's should be using to track and solve problems. They need staff reading useful forums and following owner responses. That staff has to be the "interpreter" of the this "data".

As Eye Surgeon suggests ... the sample numbers compared to earlier methods are huge on the net. Are there spurious accounts? Of course ... but the staff need to shift through all of it and filter the crap out.

What better way to get feedback? Dealers don't do surveys and mostly check boxes about problems. YES or NO. But there is more to it. Dealers can't know everything that is going on world wide with a bike or its problems. Triumph have the opportunity to stay in closer touch with issues and to respond more quickly to problems by using on line forums such as this. It's just another useful tool for them to help solve issues in a timely manner.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:27 PM   #8170
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by urquell View Post
"If you dont bring your bike to a dealer he has no way of knowing whats wrong."

I'm not so sure about that. I think Triumph knew what was wrong even before I brought the bike in for service. I think they understood the problem, they just didn't know how to fix it. So neither did their dealers.

Sure, bringing the bike in can help rule out some mechanical issue that is unrelated to the widespread stalling problems. And maybe analysis of the bike can help add to their database of knowledge about the stalling problem. That is ultimately why I decided to bring the bike in for service, even though I strongly suspected it was a total waste of my time.

They could have been honest and said they were aware of a stalling problem, and that I should bring my bike in because they wanted real data to work on the solution. That would have satisfied me, but that is not what they did. And later, they asked me to bring the bike in AFTER the "magic bullet" fix was already in the pipeline, but not yet available to my dealer. They did this even though I made them aware that I knew about it. I therefore wasted my time and did not contribute any real data to the engineers working on a solution.

Triumph could have been direct, but instead they were evasive. Triumph could have been honest, but instead they were certainly not honest. I guess we all can have differing ideas about what constitutes honesty.
honest adj. 1 truthful 2 frank and open

When people tell me how to do my job I tell them to turn in an application. Large corporations do what they do for a reason. I would be willing to bet Mr. Peter told you what he told you because someone told him to tell you what he told you...... Huh? Anyway. Lets move on. Im sorry you werent happy with your conversations within the Triumph corporation. But, it is what it is...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #8171
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraADV View Post
Nice bike, looks like a mean dirt bike with those tires...
Thanks. Metzler Karoos installed prior to delivery. The best part is that it rides like one
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:39 PM   #8172
TheBlacksmith
Hog Ridin' Fool

Oddometer: 33
Recall

Has anyone recieved a recall letter yet? I know dealers are contacting owners of bikes built between 10/10 and 6/11 (I think) to have recall work performed.
I have not seen it on the Transport Canada recall list yet, but understand it is on the NHTSA list.
Also if you input your serial # in the Triumph.uk site it will tell you any outstanding items.
My '11 XC serial # just tells me to contact my dealer and that there is an issue.

NHTSA # 11V434000
Triumph recall # 431

TheBlacksmith screwed with this post 08-25-2011 at 02:26 PM
TheBlacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #8173
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,480
TuneECU has placeholders for the new tunes but doesn't have them available for download yet (people go get the new tunes so you can send them to TuneECU!). Looks like the newest tunes are:

20630 - for 800 and XC without ABS and with standard silencer.
20631 - for 800 and XC without ABS and with Arrow silencer.
20626 - for 800 with ABS and Arrow silencer.
20628 - for 800 with ABS and standard silencer.
20627 - for XC with ABS and Arrow silencer.
20629 - for XC with ABS and standard silencer.

Hope these tunes do the trick for everybody who's having the stalling issue.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #8174
Killboy
Wait, what?

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Smith View Post
Doesn't sound enough to worry about to me. My Landrover didn't stop burning a little oil untill it hit 100,000 miles. I now think it is finally run in
So, got some oil today. It took a while 280ml before it was full again. So, definitely not an issue over 4000 miles of running in. :)
Old 08-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #8175
turboICE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
431 recall

My dealer was calling people yesterday on the 431 recall. Of course they had a typo on my cell number though so I didn't get a call. I was calling about something else and asked and they said yeah they were trying to get a hold of me. I went in to pick up an adventure tail bag and they performed the recall in under 10 minutes.

I had no prior stalling issue and notice no difference in the performance nor any change in off throttle or clutch in behavior. But I believe the new map is supposed to more aggressively apply the stepper motor if the rpms drop during clutch in decel.
turboICE is offline   Reply With Quote