Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #8356
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
This may have been touched on somewhere in the preceding 8,343 posts (I hate these mega-threads), but...how's the wind flow and protection on these bikes?
I like it some don't but if your concerned get the optional higher windshield.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #8357
CTyankee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowaystx View Post
If anyone has a picture rear and/or profile of theirs with only a top box mounted (nothing else) I would love to see it. Trying to figure out which style/size to get for mine. Similar request re: tank bag

The givei style 55s look enormous and Im worried about dropping all that money on something that will look odd. I have a black roadie with black frame.
I've got the Givi e-52 on my white roadie. I don't think it's too big, actually I kinda like it. I'll try to get some pics up in the next couple days.
'11 Tiger 800
'11 Police Electraglide. Go figure
CTyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #8358
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
I like it some don't but if your concerned get the optional higher windshield.
I'm concerned with the quality of airflow. Buffeting. Coming off the buffet-master (KTM Adventure), it's a high priority.

Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #8359
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 232
I didn't find much in the way of buffeting except when following a semi on the freeway but didn't last long as I won't stay behind one too long. I have put one of the spoilers on to cut down a little on the wind noise and it seems to help a bit.
In stock form it is much better than the 06 Wee Strom I had as that would cause your eyes to vibrate and was not a good thing. The after market has a good selection of shields if your not happy with the stock one so there is always a solution

Jerry
Old 09-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #8360
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
I'm concerned with the quality of airflow. Buffeting. Coming off the buffet-master (KTM Adventure), it's a high priority.
I'm not having issues but if you take a test ride and want more wind protection you can always add the optional larger touring windscreen to your loan or purchase.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #8361
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Quote:

Theres quite a long discussion about buffeting on the UK T800 forum.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #8362
slobinski
Inept adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Thumb

Finally picked my roadie on Wednesday afternoon; got in the first real rides this morning. This thing is a hoot! I'm still struggling through the break-in miles but am absolutely delighted with its performance. The dealer has loaded the latest tune and there's been no stalling (except due to operator error). I haven't noticed any buffeting with the stock windscreen, just smooth air. Looking forward to adding panniers etc over the winter.
slobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #8363
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowaystx View Post
If anyone has a picture rear and/or profile of theirs with only a top box mounted (nothing else) I would love to see it. Trying to figure out which style/size to get for mine. Similar request re: tank bag

The givei style 55s look enormous and Im worried about dropping all that money on something that will look odd. I have a black roadie with black frame.
Stock top box. I like it. And it matches the lines. I painted mine.

fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #8364
Aanarchy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
... you would have thought BMW would have got it right by now.
I would dispute your statement " ... just a small number were affected". According to the NHTSA listings, BMW motorcycles are number one in product recalls in the MC industry. I don't know how many recalls the F800's have had specifically ...but I'd wager at least a few by now. But ask any dealer ... they have service bulletins on every one of them.

I've owned BMW's before and done the run around with the dealer telling me "This is the first we ever heard of this problem" Horseshit!
Please don't hunt me down and kill me for posting about BMW on a Tiger thread, but the above is why I'll never buy another BMW. I'm not impressed with their so-called precision German engineering. I love the GS when I'm riding it, and it's never left me stranded, but it's had its share of problems, and not just recall items. Dump the shock oil at 9,000 miles? WTF.

And I've gotten the above referenced "horseshit" from the dealer - about items that later showed up as recalls.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #8365
neparider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
[/QUOTE]

I wasn't realy having an issue with the buffeting on the XC, I had a lip from the Uly and decided to try it out, you could see the add on in the pic.
The Vstrom had Buffeting, the Uly had buffeting, and I would say i was pretty much in the calm on the Tiger.
5'-10, 30 inseam. Seat on low position.
neparider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #8366
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aanarchy View Post
Please don't hunt me down and kill me for posting about BMW on a Tiger thread, but the above is why I'll never buy another BMW. I'm not impressed with their so-called precision German engineering. I love the GS when I'm riding it, and it's never left me stranded, but it's had its share of problems, and not just recall items. Dump the shock oil at 9,000 miles? WTF.

And I've gotten the above referenced "horseshit" from the dealer - about items that later showed up as recalls.
Join the resistance and get Tiger
Old 09-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #8367
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
Theres quite a long discussion about buffeting on the UK T800 forum.
One of the Denmark riders on that board has the Madstad for the Tiger 800. I looked it up on the madstad site and it looks really good. I had one of his screens on my 990 and I know they work.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #8368
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aanarchy View Post

Aren't you all over the Dakar thread? I thought I saw your posts there. Have you sold off your Dakar?

Sorry you have had problems with BMW. To be fair ... I've had a few problems with NON BMW dealers as well. Not often but it does happen. One Kawi dealer refused to do warranty work because I did not buy my bike from him!!!! American Kawasaki canceled his dealership because of that. (not the first time he did this) There are other examples but BMW are pretty famous for denial and good at making you feel like the problem is "Your Fault" or "you don't know how to ride" and convincing you this is the very first they've ever heard of "YOUR" problem. This is not new, honestly it has gone on since the 1960's.

And Triumph are not 100% perfect either. If you read the Tiger 1050 UK web site for the last three years as I have ... you can find a problem or two.
But I must say ... overall Triumph have done well in backing up owners, and doing quite a bit of "Good Will" repairs out of warranty.

But BMW do this too ... but they also have A LOT more breakdowns. No one knows exact percentages these days ... Bmw keep this data secret now ... but it's really not hard to figure out who's bikes spend most time in the shop.

My feeling is that once BMW fully establish the Loncin factory and get the QA up to speed ... the G650's and F800/650 GS's will be excellent bikes with FAR FEWER problems than the Berlin made bikes.

When the chief designer and CEO admit BMW have parts supplier problems and some production quality problems ... you know they've got issue that are real and probably much more serious than they would ever admit to.
Hopefully they can pull out and improve.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:24 AM   #8369
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,298
Anyone have a good source for swingarm spools for the XC? I know they are 6mm thread, but there is a lip above the center of the hole, and I'm pretty sure that just any old spool won't work as it will contact the lip before bottoming against the swingarm.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #8370
Simon Smith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Anyone have a good source for swingarm spools for the XC? I know they are 6mm thread, but there is a lip above the center of the hole, and I'm pretty sure that just any old spool won't work as it will contact the lip before bottoming against the swingarm.
They are M8 thread not 6. I picked mine up on Saturday from the local Triumph dealer, they come with longer bolts and a spacer to clear the swingarm.