Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2010, 01:27 PM   #856
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjensen641
Has this been confirmed?

I'm trying to find the spec showing fuel being carried in the actual tank. I have read it a few times though. Anyone else have the proof?

From Hell For Leather:

Indeed the only significant mechanical difference between the two bikes — other than the Triumph’s three-cylinder engine to the BMW’s parallel twin — appears to be in the fuel tank, which on the BMW is mounted under the seat. It does look like the Tiger adds a shock linkage to the BMW’s direct-mount item and one bike is more surprised and less squinty than the other. Then there’s the seat, Triumph pull the two-parter off a 1200GS, not the 800. Hooray for original thinking.
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #857
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravehunter
I can't think of another reason for those lines being there. mmmmm...
ABS.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #858
CA Stu
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsherlock
"i think it's obvious that the designers did not consult hardcore offroad riders on what is needed or short commings they see before they went into production. in this sense triumph screwed up."

I'm sure they will consult you for the mark II, don't worry. Most people who will buy this bike won't think twice about this point and in any case, it's no different to the F800GS and is easily remedied by taking off the foot-peg.
Oh good lord, anyone that thinks this bike (or any 800 cc bike for that matter) is aimed at "hardcore offroad riders" (whatever the hell that means) has completely lost the plot, I reckon.

The real world offroad riders are on 450s and such.

Kee-rist.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #859
Delta88
Knurly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR
Showa 43mm USD forks on the street version.

Showa 45mm USD forks with 220mm of travel on the XC version.
Umm. Yeah. That's what I read that spurred the question.
Delta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #860
arrcrussell
Gimme Dirt

Oddometer: 508

Note the swingarm linkage extending below the engine skid plate.
arrcrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #861
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
Isn't the Beemer link-less?
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #862
arrcrussell
Gimme Dirt

Oddometer: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR
Isn't the Beemer link-less?
Th GS1150 is, don't know about the 1200 nor the 800.
arrcrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #863
williedikker
You bet he will... TWICE

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjensen641
Has this been confirmed? I see a fair sized air gap above the cyl head, and a lot of plastic under the seat and tail. Almost looks like the fuel tank may go partially under the seat?

I agree...they could have used a dry sump and then lowered the engine an inch or two and raised the ground clearance an inch
Without any further facts, I agree. That "tank cover" seems too small to have any kind of range. Intakes are along the sides. Seems to make more sense that the fuel cap on top is just feeding a filler tube for an underseat tank. So many people are saying the Trumpet is a F800GS ripoff, so why would they doubt that the tank isn't under the seat? What else could it be? Gas in the frame, oil in the swingarm... who ever heard of such things
Old 10-21-2010, 02:07 PM   #864
williedikker
You bet he will... TWICE

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu
ABS.

Thought that at very first, but the lines look like they go right to the calipers and I don't see a wheel speed sensor at all. I don't think they have any pics of the ABS ones yet.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #865
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man

Oddometer: 1,280
tall crankcase due to wet sump

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR
One thing we do know is that the Tiger has the fuel mounted higher in the actual tank, the GS has it under the seat. Couple that with the higher 3 cylinder engine and I would think any comparison test would be able to feel the top heavy difference in low to mid speed handling off road.
tall crankcase due to wet sump not withstanding, visually you can estimate the CoG being pretty high.
Why didn't they reengineer the bottomline of their engine and make it dry sump? This obseration stands also for Suzuki with their Strom.

Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875
DakarBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:51 PM   #866
CA Stu
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrcrussell

Note the swingarm linkage extending below the engine skid plate.

Note the lack of a rider and no suspension compression.

Are you guys really finding fault with a bike that hasn't hit the market yet?

Tell you what, how about one of you armchair engineers / hardcore offroaders / Dakar racers put some miles on one before you post such ridiculous garbage.

The swingarm linkage hangs below the frame on damn near every, if not all, bike(s) out there in an unloaded capacity on the sidestand, I bet.

I know that it does on my KLR, and I've beat the ever loving snot out of it and its dog bones are pristine.

Thanks
CA Stu
Old 10-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #867
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,615
here here! I like a little spirit in the discussion...
here's one with 'weight on'.... looks just like my DR or DL with me standing on it... of all the damage I have done, not no swingarm issues, no dogbone issues, not many issues....

Quote:

Tell you what, how about one of you armchair engineers / hardcore offroaders / Dakar racers put some miles on one before you post such ridiculous garbage.

The swingarm linkage hangs below the frame on damn near every, if not all, bike(s) out there in an unloaded capacity on the sidestand, I bet.

I know that it does on my KLR, and I've beat the ever loving snot out of it and its dog bones are pristine.

Thanks
CA Stu
Zapp22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #868
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,365
I don't know if this is a criticism or not - I'm not taking it to that direction. It could be great technology for all I know (glass is half full or the beer bottle is ).

But I noticed that low linkage as well, together with a low rear spring location. Perhaps it can provide a better COG? Could it also allow for longer suspension travel? Or a more structural leverage point for the spring on its top insertion point (remember the 800GS issues on this?)? Or even part of the gas tank extends to under the seat?

Just some thoughts and observations with no intention of criticizing what I don't know. I guess I'm actually asking questions here...

Thanks
Lion

Quote:

Thanks
CA Stu

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 10-21-2010 at 03:06 PM
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #869
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
It looks to me like the tank is under the seat, the filler is just in the traditional location.

In posts #827 and #831, you can see daylight between the valve cover and the tank cover. In the same picture, you can see the black plastic tank extending down from the seat.

I am diggin this bike more and more. Pending positive reviews, the roadie version could fit my need for an exciting, practical middleweight.
SpaceManSpiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #870
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,415
here is a few more specs:http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...gs-comparison/

So far all looks very similiar to the F800. 15 more hp, 2 liters more gas capacity, little heavier, a little less suspension travel.
For off pavement use, sounds like it depends on wether you think a triple hooks up well enough and if you really need 100 hp on a dirt road. Considering the F800 frugal use of gas, I doubt range will differ much.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote