User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #9511
MasterSTi
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Tiger 800XC spare wheel sets

I just took delivery of a new 800XC and am loving the bike!

Had my first off road ride a few days ago & found the original bridgestone tyres crap in the soft stuff!!!

Does anyone know how much it would cost to order a new set of wheels from a Triumph dealer? I am in Australia and we get ripped on spare parts prices here, so would be happy to purchase parts from the USA.

I would get the following:
  • Tiger 800 roadie 17" cast rear wheel to have a tubeless tyre option
  • Tiger 800XC spoked front wheel.
Also how much would it cost to buy new brake disks front/rear, wheel bearings & rear sproket?

I want a quick direct swap solution between road & knobbly tyres.

Any aftermarket options?
MasterSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #9512
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterSTi View Post
Does anyone know how much it would cost to order a new set of wheels from a Triumph dealer? I am in Australia and we get ripped on spare parts prices here, so would be happy to purchase parts from the USA.
I don't have specific numbers, but based on how these things generally go, if you wanted a complete set of spare wheels ready for rubber and ready to bolt on and you bought all new parts at US dealer list prices, I suspect you'd be around $2500. Cheaper options in used parts or aftermarket parts will likely become available over time and you could save by swapping discs each time. But it will never be cheap.

Probably not worth it - most just but TKC80's on if they want an Okay off-pavement tire and accept that pavement handling will drop a notch.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:48 AM   #9513
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterSTi View Post
I just took delivery of a new 800XC and am loving the bike!

Had my first off road ride a few days ago & found the original bridgestone tyres crap in the soft stuff!!!

I would get the following:
  • Tiger 800 roadie 17" cast rear wheel to have a tubeless tyre option
  • Tiger 800XC spoked front wheel.
Also how much would it cost to buy new brake disks front/rear, wheel bearings & rear sproket?

I want a quick direct swap solution between road & knobbly tyres.

Any aftermarket options?
First off, Welcome to ADV

We went round and round about this a while ago in the thread. If you search you may find some answers. The stock XC wheels are made by Excell. There is a part number on the wheels so maybe try contacting them to see how much a replacement would be. Other than that the bikes are so new that you might as well just contact your dealer and ask them what each part costs. I would agree with the previous statement of around 2500 or more for just the wheels. You are talking big bucks if you want complete wheels with disks and all. . Or for $1000 or less you can buy a good tire changer and just change your tires. Then you can charge your buddys to change theirs out and eventually pay it off

Just the thought of changing tires all the time sounds like a pain in the ass. I want to ride not change tires. I just run TKC 80's and call it done.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #9514
halfast3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
Started my commute today and noticed the stock windscreen was just inches away from my face...WTF! The front bracket near the headlight had snapped, so it was swiveling on the side mounts. Anybody else experience this?
Photos please...
halfast3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #9515
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfast3 View Post
Photos please...

+1

there are at least 3 things holding the nose of the windshield that could have broke. Need more specific detail

You may have uncovered another recall problem.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #9516
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Or you can skip the weird, overpriced Triumph mount that positions the GPS unit off to the side and just use a regular RAM handlebar mount for less than half the price.

--mark
Puts the gps in the perfect position though. If you use a ram handlebar mount and a tank bag you can restrict bar movement. Behind the clocks is just too far away for me to interact with my streetpilot 2720.

Of all the Triumph accessories the only one I think needs to be revisited are the handguards. OK once modified but pure shite as out of the box. Then again the touratech handguards are no better either.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #9517
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Puts the gps in the perfect position though. If you use a ram handlebar mount and a tank bag you can restrict bar movement. Behind the clocks is just too far away for me to interact with my streetpilot 2720.

Of all the Triumph accessories the only one I think needs to be revisited are the handguards. OK once modified but pure shite as out of the box. Then again the touratech handguards are no better either.
Totally disagree about the GPS position. Just above the clocks is perfect for me and I can interact with it just fine.

I do agree about the handguards though but to be fair, they are all like that since, like most manufacturers, Triumph figure folks will change them anyway.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #9518
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,408
The handguards aren't great but I dropped mine and they protected my clutch lever, much to my surprise.

I have seen the Metzeler Karoos on some pics of the Tiger. Am planning a long trip and was wondering what the general Tiger owners thought of them. They certainly look beefy, how about road use???
Thanks

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #9519
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
I have seen the Metzeler Karoos on some pics of the Tiger. Am planning a long trip and was wondering what the general Tiger owners thought of them. They certainly look beefy, how about road use???
Thanks
I think that the Karoo T is what is spec'd for the Tiger. I went through two sets of Karoo II's on my 610 and they didn't last at all. I was replacing rears at 1500 miles.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #9520
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Totally disagree about the GPS position. Just above the clocks is perfect for me and I can interact with it just fine.

I do agree about the handguards though but to be fair, they are all like that since, like most manufacturers, Triumph figure folks will change them anyway.
I have short arms :-)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #9521
basepc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
karoos

they howl on the asphalt as in very loud even with ear plugs in.
basepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #9522
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
Thanks

They dont last at all but are aweseome for offroad. They bite real good. Im not sure how well they handle the twisties...

I ride with a guy whos on a GSA. His were done after 1000 miles of hard riding. 50/50 On/Offroad. I wouldnt do it. I am getting 4,000 out of TKC 80. To me they are the best tire.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #9523
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,732
Quote:
Puts the gps in the perfect position though. If you use a ram handlebar mount and a tank bag you can restrict bar movement.
Disagreed -- I don't like having the GPS off to the side, and my RAM handlebar mount has not caused any issues with a tank bag.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #9524
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
there are at least 3 things holding the nose of the windshield that could have broke. Need more specific detail
OK, this isn't my bike, but for illustration purposes only. The two mounts attached to the front bottom portion of the windscreen have nipples that go into a metal tube attached to the headlight shroud/instrument cluster. Those nipples broke off, which allowed the windscreen to rotate aft at cruise speed. Solution? Removed those two mounts from the windscreen, drilled a 1/4" hole through the mounts where the nipples broke off, ran a 4" screw through the mounts and the metal tube, and secured it with a locking nut. Total cost: $.67. Now, how long it'll last is TBD, but the windscreen doesn't vibrate...it's rock stable. I'm at work, so I'll send another photo of my bike later. I'm going to try to get those mounts ordered when I get the new spring for my centerstand (recall item)...I'll ask them if this is a common failure item. I wonder if it's covered by warranty?
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #9525
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,193
Quote:
I have short arms :-)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Good point well made....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple