'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #9572
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Puts the gps in the perfect position though. If you use a ram handlebar mount and a tank bag you can restrict bar movement. Behind the clocks is just too far away for me to interact with my streetpilot 2720.
Then don't put it where it would restrict bar movement. That's just common sense and has nothing to do with the RAM mount. Certainly doesn't make it ill suited for the task.

Nice thing about a RAM mount is I can put it wherever I want it. Waiting on my Montana 650t to arrive so I can mount it up. Got a feeling when I get everything the way I want it, it will end up right over (or perhaps bolted to) the handlebar clamp.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #9573
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 103
OK, so here's my solution...we'll see how long it lasts. If not long, Twisted Throttle just posted two new windscreen options for the Tiger 800s...
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #9574
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
I have short arms :-)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Can you post a pic of your setup and have you tried the dualsportmaps.com app? I just uploaded my San Diego back County Adventure Route to the service.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #9575
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
If not long, Twisted Throttle just posted two new windscreen options for the Tiger 800s...
I don't see any new ones... Link?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:43 AM   #9576
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
Then don't put it where it would restrict bar movement. That's just common sense and has nothing to do with the RAM mount. Certainly doesn't make it ill suited for the task.

Nice thing about a RAM mount is I can put it wherever I want it. Waiting on my Montana 650t to arrive so I can mount it up. Got a feeling when I get everything the way I want it, it will end up right over (or perhaps bolted to) the handlebar clamp.
Sorry should have clarified. If you have either or both of heated grips / Aux lights then a ram handlebar mount on the left will restrict movement with a tank bag fitted. If you don't have the extra switches you are probably ok.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:50 AM   #9577
spewler
Not (w)reckless

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/6830/845/ is for the MRA touring screen.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/6972/845/ is for the MRA Vario touring screen, which has an adjustable extension.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:57 AM   #9578
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Ah, now that is interesting. How do you like it - I assume it clips on so you don't have to drill holes in the screen ? I am looking for something just like this but I really don't want to drill holes in my screen. I also want to be able to take it off when I don't need it - e.g. when doing dirt say.

Edit: Is that an older model - I can't find anything like it on the Touratech USA site. I also notice what appears to be a bolt or something in the middle of the screen - is that for the spoiler or ?

Edit...Again: Is it this one for the GS ?
First of all let me explain a bit. I originally bought one of these for the R100GS (pile of unreliable shit) I had before my Tiger955i. It worked on that so when I bought the Tiger955i (with its crap windscreen) I tried to fit the 100GS one on but it wouldn't fit because of the angle and curvature of the Tiger screen. So I bought another one for the 1150GS which has a similar curved screen. Now, because I've had these a while and taken them to bits a few times, I don't know which bits are from what spoiler.
So, to the Tiger800. I assembled which ever bits would allow it to fit the 800 screen.
In conclusion, I can't say which one you should buy so beware. You really need to go and see if you can try them on somehow.

Now to answer your questions :-
1, It worked at kicking the wind higher but I didn't really like the look so I bought the fitting kit for the Palmer screen that I eventually got for the 955i.

2, yes it sort of clips on. The mount has slots in it and you just push it on to the top of the screen, then run the strap down to hook under the bottom edge of the screen and tighten to clamp it all in place.

3, the little hole you can see in my screen was an experiment where I was trying to box in the central channel in the screen to direct wind up and send the overall wind higher without the spoiler. It did seem to work to an extent but looked shit and I couldn't think of a way to make it look good so I gave up and fitted the Palmer as described above.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:00 AM   #9579
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,642
Quote:
Sorry should have clarified. If you have either or both of heated grips / Aux lights then a ram handlebar mount on the left will restrict movement with a tank bag fitted.

So then don't put it on the left... I'm not sure I understand why it would be preferable to have the GPS off center in the first place.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:01 AM   #9580
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
WTF was Triumph thinking here?

Is there a technique other than holding the nozzle up and spraying between the bars to avoid backsplash?
The fuel will go in without any blow back if you point the nozzle at the opposite rider footpeg.

Obviously put the nozzle in the filler hole first...........

The bars are there so that you clumsy buggers don't knock hell out of those electrical wires you can see there.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:13 AM   #9581
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Quote:
The fuel will go in without any blow back if you point the nozzle at the opposite rider footpeg.
...and hop on one foot while tugging on your left earlobe. I've never owned a vehicle that required me to hold the gas hose in the filler neck so gas doesn't spew all over hell and back. This is a ridiculous design feature! If the purpose of those bars is to prevent damage to the fuel pump, they could've achieved the same result with an angled tube that holds the gas hose in a stable manner while refueling, and it probably would've cost less than welding those damn bars into the filler neck!
Old 11-17-2011, 06:14 AM   #9582
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
So then don't put it on the left... I'm not sure I understand why it would be preferable to have the GPS off center in the first place.

--mark
Don't know other than I like it like that. Always have, even when using a Ram handlebar mount on previous bikes. Don't have it front of me in my car either
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:17 AM   #9583
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,379
Quote:
I always place mine towards the left, even when my RAM mount is dead center of the bike. It's because I operate the GPS with my left hand, and it's quicker to do so if it's closer to the grip.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:18 AM   #9584
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterSTi View Post
I just took delivery of a new 800XC and am loving the bike!

Had my first off road ride a few days ago & found the original bridgestone tyres crap in the soft stuff!!!

Does anyone know how much it would cost to order a new set of wheels from a Triumph dealer? I am in Australia and we get ripped on spare parts prices here, so would be happy to purchase parts from the USA.

I would get the following:
  • Tiger 800 roadie 17" cast rear wheel to have a tubeless tyre option
  • Tiger 800XC spoked front wheel.
Also how much would it cost to buy new brake disks front/rear, wheel bearings & rear sproket?

I want a quick direct swap solution between road & knobbly tyres.

Any aftermarket options?
Your best option for this is to wait until someone crashes one and the bike ends up in the scrap yard, then buy the wheels. Even if the rim is bent in the accident you can get it rebuilt. Importantly, you'll get ALL the necessary bits.

And/or, do as I'm doing and run some Heidenau K60 Scouts while you're waiting for that crash.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:28 AM   #9585
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:

--mark
I say whatever suits you best. I like mine on the Triumph GPS mount along with my Touratech locking mount. I had it center mounted on my Versys and that was fine also.

jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote