Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #9886
Ducken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
And here I had already done my own google search to find out where the hell Manchukuo was. After thinking it was a made up name, I figured he really was somewhere in the far east. Ohio? Only mid east!

From the far west territories, (Oregon), Ken
Ducken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #9887
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Touratech has added the upper crash bars onto the site for pre-ordering for 196.30

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...h-Tiger-800-XC

Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #9888
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,911
Anyone here have links to comparison reports? Looking for ones comparing the 990, 800XC, and 800GS.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #9889
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
^^ Nice bars!

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #9890
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
Touratech has added the upper crash bars onto the site for pre-ordering for 196.30

Looks like a good frame work to attach some heat shields.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #9891
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
I've been bit

By a tiger that is. Took out a 2011 tiger 800 xc abs for a ride today, and fell in love with the smooth engine and power delivery. Thinking this may be my next bike, and vstrom replacement. What is the maintenance like on these beasts? Any major issues thus far? Please excuse me for not reading this whole thread, still catching up on the wr monster thread.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #9892
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,354
I have only 2800 miles. So far maintenance has been washing and waxing. Oh, and changed the oil twice.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #9893
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2RideMore View Post
By a tiger that is. Took out a 2011 tiger 800 xc abs for a ride today, and fell in love with the smooth engine and power delivery. Thinking this may be my next bike, and vstrom replacement. What is the maintenance like on these beasts? Any major issues thus far? Please excuse me for not reading this whole thread, still catching up on the wr monster thread.
Keep reading the thread .... you can learn a lot about the bike, especially all the aftermarket support that is already there. But not many ride reports or maintenance reports so far. A few, but not many on this thread.
The good news is, very few problems or recalls of any kind on the Tigers, unlike the BMW F800GS forum which is dominated by problems threads.

I would search around in Beasts and Ride Reports for more feedback. There are a few reports around, but not a lot. So far, all but one report has been positive.

Two Canadian Women ruined a couple of brand new "loaner" Tigers riding them to AK, clogging up air filters so badly they ingested dirt, and then not cleaning them nor attending to proper maintenance.

My guess is the Canadian Triumph reps who arranged the loaner Tigers are now looking for work! That is the only negative ride report I've seen, but its early days yet. I'd imagine there are some folks out on the long road in S. America, Oz or Europe as we speak.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #9894
Dr. Motardo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Count me in!

Signed the paperwork on a 2012 black 800 roadie last week and have been trying to catch up on this thread for a couple of weeks. I still have a few hundred pages to skim but it's nice to see that the stalling issue was solved.

We've had snow here for the past few days so I won't be picking the Tiger up until next week. I test rode all of the competition and a couple of bikes costing far more but my hardest decision was between the 800 and 800 XC. I wound up finally choosing the 800 because 90-plus percent of my riding will be on pavement and I really, really dislike inner tubes on bikes. Plus, on those rare occasions when I'm off the pavement I'll be on decent dirt roads. Meanwhile, on the street, I prefer the 800 to the XC for the obvious reasons.

I thought long and hard about the F800 GS and F650 GS but the Tiger fits me much better and there's simply no comparison when you compare engines. In fact, the triple feels at least as willing as my Hyper's 1100 twin although it might be a bit down on torque. Hopefully I'll be able to put a few miles on it before the next snow.
Dr. Motardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #9895
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Motardo View Post
Signed the paperwork on a 2012 black 800 roadie last week .
Awesome. Keep us posted on your impressions after you get some miles on it.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #9896
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Motardo View Post
Signed the paperwork on a 2012 black 800 roadie last week and have been trying to catch up on this thread for a couple of weeks. I still have a few hundred pages to skim but it's nice to see that the stalling issue was solved.

We've had snow here for the past few days so I won't be picking the Tiger up until next week. I test rode all of the competition and a couple of bikes costing far more but my hardest decision was between the 800 and 800 XC. I wound up finally choosing the 800 because 90-plus percent of my riding will be on pavement and I really, really dislike inner tubes on bikes. Plus, on those rare occasions when I'm off the pavement I'll be on decent dirt roads. Meanwhile, on the street, I prefer the 800 to the XC for the obvious reasons.

I thought long and hard about the F800 GS and F650 GS but the Tiger fits me much better and there's simply no comparison when you compare engines. In fact, the triple feels at least as willing as my Hyper's 1100 twin although it might be a bit down on torque. Hopefully I'll be able to put a few miles on it before the next snow.
I hate flats on inner tubed tires as well. Not sure which way I'll go. I think the XC is prett close on road to the T800 ... some even like it better.
Off road I think you'll do fine. More and more good choices for tubeless off road tires front and rear: Heidenau, Mefo, Shinko, Conti, Metzeler and others are now doing better 19" fronts and good 150 sized rear tires for off road. Two sets of wheels would be nice!

The T800 feels more compact to me. It's also lower, which I like being only 5' 7". I've ridden both. Plus, the roadie has that Venon yellow color!

Have fun ... watch out for black ice! (our riding season ... continues unabated)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #9897
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post

]
Can I just point out a safety issue?
You have your SPOT attached to the bike. The first thing that happens in a crash is that you leave the bike. If you're unable to move due to injury and the bike has slid into a ditch a way away, how do you press the SOS button?
You need to attach it to your jacket or rucksack somehow.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #9898
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,354
OK, I'll wear it with the armband thingy that came with it. That'll look cool.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #9899
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
It looks like the tank plastic would be smashed flat before the bars would ever touch down. It would protect the radiator, but at what cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post

motosickle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #9900
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by motosickle2000 View Post
It looks like the tank plastic would be smashed flat before the bars would ever touch down. It would protect the radiator, but at what cost?

Your in the middle of the Utah Back Country Discovery Route 100 Miles from pavement and drop your bike on a nasty rock. Do you care about the plastic faring piece or the radiator?
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote