Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #11011
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_babaji View Post
I think you are right, he just copied and pasted between listings.

I see the SW-Motech racks are also quick-released from the bike. I wonder if they are a better option? Mo Money for sure. I just want to hang some Wolfman soft bags off them and like the idea of being able to (easily) remove the racks when not needed.

something to think about, because I did... racks are good to have on with or without bags because they always act as crash bars. I went with racks that are sturdy and some that I know can take a crash. I never want to remove mine because they add protection all the time. I went with Happy Trails SU racks. again, just my 2c.

edit: The other racks may be very sturdy too. I only have experience with the HT SU racks. Also when I was buying the racks I wanted something that I could eventually buy hard bags. So I wanted a rack that I could fit those hard bags to and I really like the Denali HT bags. So, HT SU racks were my choice.

fbj913 screwed with this post 02-13-2012 at 02:50 PM
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #11012
CTyankee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Excellent, thanks!

Wolfman soft bags were my plan as well; I see no reason the Givi racks wouldn't work just as well as the SW Motech ones for that purpose. I'm even thinking it would be an easy matter to fab up a plate to mount to the left side rack to hold a Rotopax fuel container.

In the meantime, though, I've realised that the Givi Trekker cases are actually a pretty good deal. I may get one of each size to use as side cases on long pavement trips, and use the larger one as a top case by itself on short trips, and in conjunction with Wolfman soft bags on longer ADV trips. I like the fact that those cases are designed to work as either side or top cases.

--mark
I had the same idea, bought a 33 and a 46. As a sidecase the 46 looked HUGE, I just sent it back today to exchange for another 33.
The GIVI racks are not symmetrical, the exhaust side is about one inch farther from center than the right. Not a big deal when using 2 cases of the same size, but the 46 is about 3" wider. On paper I figured the 2" difference wouldn't be much but when mounted it just seemed like it stuck out way too far.
'11 Tiger 800
'11 Police Electraglide. Go figure
CTyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #11013
Dmarino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
One more shot from the side with the goodies on. Here you can see the collector angle that we ended up going with as level would have been disruptive to flow. All of the piping is nice and close to the oil pan with plenty of clearance for the future skidplate. Next up I'm going to make a skidplate but it will have to wait until after my trip next week.

(Yes my garage is wrecked, moved a few months ago and thats "on the list")
Old 02-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #11014
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
From reading the description of the Givi they have/need a special key to remove the frames whereas the SWmotech only needs a screw driver. So if security might worry you I think the Givi would be the ones to go for. Although you can buy a locking quick release (if that makes sense) for the SWmotech.

As another option, you may also want to look at a Hepco and Becker rack. I had the SW motechs on my previous bike and was not impressed. The rack was not easy to remove because it never lined up perfectly with the mounting points. The H&B are very similar to the SW Motechs, but just seemed a notch better in quality. Again, they are removed with a large coin or screwdriver and you can buy a locking mechanism to lock the racks to the bike. They are asymmetrical, so the exhaust side sticks out a little further.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #11015
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,408
"and that's on the list"

Hey, at least the Tiger is done and your priorities are straight!

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #11016
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I don't think you would go wrong with either. I have a set of quick release SW-Motech racks on another cycle; they work great and are sturdy.
Thanks, I am not sure if I can get the Cli-Max deal up here in Canada. So the Sw-Motech may be an option for me.

Do you think the SW motech will leave more clearance for installing a roto-pax on the inside (LHS) than the Givi racks?
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #11017
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Excellent, thanks!

Wolfman soft bags were my plan as well; I see no reason the Givi racks wouldn't work just as well as the SW Motech ones for that purpose. I'm even thinking it would be an easy matter to fab up a plate to mount to the left side rack to hold a Rotopax fuel container.

In the meantime, though, I've realised that the Givi Trekker cases are actually a pretty good deal. I may get one of each size to use as side cases on long pavement trips, and use the larger one as a top case by itself on short trips, and in conjunction with Wolfman soft bags on longer ADV trips. I like the fact that those cases are designed to work as either side or top cases.

--mark

I did not realize that they worked as top cases also, clever!

I am just not sure if I like the looks of the Trekker, sorta looks like a lunch box, I half expect to find a thermos inside.

I would like to see mounted on a bike (in person).
Old 02-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #11018
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

The Wolfman rack system has a nice kit for adding a RotoPax. Looks pretty nice.

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Access...untSystem.html

I just wish the racks were quick release.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #11019
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_babaji View Post
The Wolfman rack system has a nice kit for adding a RotoPax. Looks pretty nice.

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Access...untSystem.html

I just wish the racks were quick release.

Those make the bags stick out really far! I want my weight close and forward!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #11020
fbj913
I ride

has anyone tried to remove the locks from triumph luggage? can it be done?

fbj913 screwed with this post 02-14-2012 at 08:15 AM
Old 02-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #11021
Dr. Motardo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
has anyone tried to remove the locked from triumph luggage? can it be done?
It's been a while so I'm not sure if my memory is faulty, but I seem to remember receiving a pair of lock cylinders matched to my bike when I picked up my 800. You didn't? Or are you already using those for something else?
Dr. Motardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #11022
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Motardo View Post
It's been a while so I'm not sure if my memory is faulty, but I seem to remember receiving a pair of lock cylinders matched to my bike when I picked up my 800. You didn't? Or are you already using those for something else?

Yes you are correct. I have one installed in my top box. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to remove the key cylinders with success. I might sell the box so I would like to remove it if I do...
Old 02-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #11023
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Yes you are correct. I have one installed in my top box. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to remove the key cylinders with success. I might sell the box so I would like to remove it if I do...
I can't confirm, but I read it will destroy the locks if you try to remove them.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #11024
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
I can't confirm, but I read it will destroy the locks if you try to remove them.
Im ok with that. As long as the case is ok and someone else can insert a new one.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #11025
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
I had a stock side case that had to be replaced. The dealer took the origional into his shop and returned in a few minutes, he said he had to swap out the lock sets. I would imagine its not that hard to do, but I did not see him do it.

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote