Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #11311
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidXT View Post
Its better stability on the road. Theres videos of them going round a track and the triumphs with floating panniers go a lot smoother than bikes with rigid panniers
Where are these videos?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #11312
DavidXT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Probably not online. Saw it at the triumph factory in hinkley
'09 Buell XB12XT (can I change my name now??) , '99 Suzuki Katana 600, '97 Honda Shadow VT 750 ace, '?? Kawasaki 250 quad, '96 Suzuki TS50X
DavidXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #11313
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Here is a bottom pic of the plate I found online. This Moose plate is awesome!!!

Yeah, I have a Ricochet Offroad skidplate on my XRL that's similar.

And ironically it was way cheaper than any of the Tiger 800 skidplate options. I wish manufacturers like Ricochet and Moose would make versions for the Tiger.

I wonder how hard it would be to adapt one.....

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #11314
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
Its better stability on the road. Theres videos of them going round a track and the triumphs with floating panniers go a lot smoother than bikes with rigid panniers
Hmmm. Hard to believe, but I'm not an expert in things like that. Having something move and potentially wobble independently sounds like a bigger issue than the same thing being rigidly mounted and just pounding its weight into the suspension. But - I think the guys at Triumph know that certainly better than I do.

If they were top loading, I'd probably just go with them for the great price and close in mounting and the "not bending the frame potential" I mentioned above. Whether that's actually true or not - I don't know, but it might make me feel better.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #11315
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Not certain whether this is actually true. Some of the racks from 3rd party manufacturers are attached strongly to the frame - if you hit the ground hard, you might (!) bend your frame. The Triumph cases behave a bit between hard and soft case in the way the they have some room to move and don't act as a lever to the frame.

I think that both approaches are totally valid. Personally I rather break a case instead of bending the frame, but I also like my cases solid. Really hard to answer what the "right" approach is.
I think the main complaint that people have with the Triumph panniers is not the mounting system, but rather the fact that the hooks on the panniers that attach to the mounts on the bike are made of plastic and break off fairly easily. This problem is not exclusive to the Tiger 800 (a friend of mine with a Tiger 1050 has had to bodge a new hook onto one of his panniers because the original one broke off), it's just that on a bike intended in part for off-pavement travel, such relatively fragile mounting hooks seem very ill-advised. Metal ones, or at the very least bolt-on-replaceable plastic/composite ones, would make more sense.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #11316
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Yeah, I have a Ricochet Offroad skidplate on my XRL that's similar.

And ironically it was way cheaper than any of the Tiger 800 skidplate options. I wish manufacturers like Ricochet and Moose would make versions for the Tiger.

I wonder how hard it would be to adapt one.....

--mark
Same plate I have on my XR. Great plate - incredibly beefy, but I will say, the SW is not far (if at all) behind it.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #11317
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,190
The last several pages seem to have too much assholing sprinkled amongst the useful information. I don't see why everyone has to get up in each others grill all the time.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #11318
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
The last several pages seem to have too much assholing sprinkled amongst the useful information. I don't see why everyone has to get up in each others grill all the time.
Chalk it up to "Internet Manhood Syndrome."

I have no doubt that if we were all sitting around a table in the same room, that the discourse would be much more civil, at least until we got to know one another.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #11319
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Chalk it up to "Internet Manhood Syndrome."

I have no doubt that if we were all sitting around a table in the same room, that the discourse would be much more civil, at least until we got to know one another.
I don't think it's been too bad to be honest. Views have been expressed just as they would sitting around a table.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #11320
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Probably a good idea. And maybe read things clearly before you reply. If you don't understand, then don't speak.
Umm? What is it I don't understand sir?

And I think the expression is

'if you have nothing nice to say, better to say nothing at all'
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #11321
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
i think the main complaint that people have with the triumph panniers is not the mounting system, but rather the fact that the hooks on the panniers that attach to the mounts on the bike are made of plastic and break off fairly easily. This problem is not exclusive to the tiger 800 (a friend of mine with a tiger 1050 has had to bodge a new hook onto one of his panniers because the original one broke off), it's just that on a bike intended in part for off-pavement travel, such relatively fragile mounting hooks seem very ill-advised. Metal ones, or at the very least bolt-on-replaceable plastic/composite ones, would make more sense.

--mark
+1
Old 02-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #11322
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Not certain whether this is actually true. Some of the racks from 3rd party manufacturers are attached strongly to the frame - if you hit the ground hard, you might (!) bend your frame. The Triumph cases behave a bit between hard and soft case in the way the they have some room to move and don't act as a lever to the frame.

I think that both approaches are totally valid. Personally I rather break a case instead of bending the frame, but I also like my cases solid. Really hard to answer what the "right" approach is.
yes that's absolutely true. I have seen some bags that have a 'weak link' built into them intentionally, like a fastener that would break away, so as not to break frame and or mangle bags too badly.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #11323
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, i think the video I saw, the review said something to that effect, but he did seem sceptical.

Also the guy was able to unhook the bottom of the case from its 'slot'. He did that with his hands, and it didn't look like he forced it too hard. I would just be concerned that a massive pothole or something could also dislodge it. Then it would really be hanging loose on those corners!
Old 02-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #11324
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,323
Put some 705's on yesterday. Also, I added some DIY boxes. One I found in a second hand store for $3 and the other one?. Took some searching but I found it for $15.99 plus shipping. So I have about $26 in both, plus the heavy duty eye bolts for strapping more stuff.

Sure they probably wont last in a crash but if I have to spend $50 to replace them, no biggie. And they are lockable and waterproof.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #11325
objectuser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Handlebar Differences?

What are the differences between the roadie and the XC in terms of handlebars? I understand that the bars rise higher on the XC and that the XC has a tapered bar. Is that correct? Could the rise and the bars from the XC be done as mods to the roadie?

I don't intend to take the bike off road and don't want the tubed tires that come with the XC. I'd rather have the roadie's wheels with the XC's triangle.

objectuser screwed with this post 02-23-2012 at 07:40 PM
objectuser is offline   Reply With Quote