Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #11446
Simon Smith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
From what I have read, it would seem the onboard computer calculates fuel consumption in imperial gallons rather than US, as mine seems to be about right. Average around 50mpg (imperial gallon)

Now if one of the first settlers hadn't spilt some out the bucket on his way across the pond this wouldn't have happened.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #11447
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I don wonder about how some can get the MPG they do compared to others

I don't sweat it too much to be honest, I couldn't tell you what any of my bikes get for MPG, as long as I can get 200 miles from my Tigger, I plan accordingly.

On a related note, I just ordered a couple tool holder thingys (the ones that hold the 1L fuel bottles) and I 'm hoping I can fit them to my SW Motech racks.
I always do a quick mental calculation when I fill up because if you mileage drops significantly it can indicate impending disaster.

If/when you get those tubes fixed can you post photos of where and how you've attached them please. I'm thinking of the same thing.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #11448
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Smith View Post
From what I have read, it would seem the onboard computer calculates fuel consumption in imperial gallons rather than US, as mine seems to be about right. Average around 50mpg (imperial gallon)
You can change the reading into all sorts of stuff such as L/100kms, M/USgallon, M/IMPgallon etc. just go into settings. Maybe those that are reading more than they get ARE on IMP gallons.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #11449
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 245
My rides are anywhere from 50 to 300 miles and from 1200 ft to 9000 ft altitude and I run the low octane stuff, Chevron, Shell, Valero, 76 and once in a great while Arco. Mileage is around 44mpg and even twisting the snot out of the bike to keep up with my buddies on sport bikes I get low 40's. Bike has the Arrow can with 30 extra holes in the baffle for a better sound and the current Arrow tune and I like to rev to 6-7K before shifting cause it sounds so nice, so if your getting a lot lower mpg that then you must be cranking it to red line

Jerry
Old 03-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #11450
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
From what I have experienced the actual MPG versus what is shown on the display is much lower.
My experience is different. I bought my Tiger 800 roadie in January. it was a 2011 demo. I've tracked 6 tanks so far. (on fuelly with same user name) My average mpg is 51.5mpg. The display which of course I reset at each fill up usually shows about 1-2 mpg lower than actual. Pretty accurate IMO.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #11451
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
So I picked up one of the first Roadies last May and it has been doing fine with the original fuel mapping, no stalling, very consistent accurate fueling. I know there was a recall issued for a new map but I have been so pleased I decided to pass. I was at my dealer on Wednesday to have them reset my service wrench symbol thingie and they inform me that my fuel map is obsolete. They suggested installing the newest one. Uggh, I like the old one. We suggest the new one. Uggh, ok. On the 70 mile ride back home, heading into the wind, my average mpg reading on the display was showing 52 mpg. With the old map I was getting around 43 to 45. I have the factory can and factory bags and at 250 I'm a big guy. This is the mpg I was expecting from the get go, glad to be finally getting it.
Do you happen to know what map version # they loaded? I am reasonably happy with my 51.5mpg average on crappy winter gas and mine bike has the 2nd version of the map. I think there is 3rd version now.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #11452
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblk9695 View Post
so if your getting a lot lower mpg that then you must be cranking it to red line
Not necessarily. My GS gets better mileage when I ride it right around it's happiest rpm range around 4 to 5k. Lower - mileage is slightly worse, higher, mileage is slightly worse. I generally ride it between 3 and 5k as I want a little bit more usable band - that's why I'm looking forward to the Tiger so much, the powerband is so much more usable.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #11453
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Do you happen to know what map version # they loaded? I am reasonably happy with my 51.5mpg average on crappy winter gas and mine bike has the 2nd version of the map. I think there is 3rd version now.
Don't know, I'll call and ask.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #11454
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Don't know, I'll call and ask.
So I called and they really do not have a number for the map. They said it is the most recent map released by Triumph for the 800. You will need to visit a dealer and have them connect up your bike to know if you have the most recent. I know there are some members with dealer tools or other devices that may be able to determine the map in place, not sure if you are one who can do that? Sorry I can't be more specific.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #11455
Simon Smith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
You can change the reading into all sorts of stuff such as L/100kms, M/USgallon, M/IMPgallon etc. just go into settings. Maybe those that are reading more than they get ARE on IMP gallons.

I have fiddled with that in the past, but forgot you could choose between imp and US, But is it possible that some US owners have it set on imperial without knowing? Could it default back to imperial when a new tune is loaded as that would explain the change from 40mpg to 50mpg (or at least according to the knackered calculator on my desk it would)
Old 03-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #11456
shadygrady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
So I called and they really do not have a number for the map. They said it is the most recent map released by Triumph for the 800. You will need to visit a dealer and have them connect up your bike to know if you have the most recent. I know there are some members with dealer tools or other devices that may be able to determine the map in place, not sure if you are one who can do that? Sorry I can't be more specific.
I would recommend buying a ODB cable (less than $20 on ebay) and use the TuneECU (free) program. It is an invaluable tool to have IMO! Just load TuneECU on a laptop and hook up the cable to your bike and presto, all the map info you need. You can find all the latest maps here for download.
shadygrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #11457
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
thanks for checking. I have the tune ecu software I was just wondering if the latest code on the tune ecu site matched yours. I think the most recent release was in January.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #11458
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,594
I am currently at tune 20629; I performed that via TuneECU in September 2011, and the TuneECU site shows that as still the current tune for an XC with ABS and standard silencer.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #11459
shadygrady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I am currently at tune 20629; I performed that via TuneECU in September 2011, and the TuneECU site shows that as still the current tune for an XC with ABS and standard silencer.
I recently loaded the latest tuneECU map for the Arrow Exhaust and in the process I saved the current map from my bike (20629). To get to the point, my dealer as of Feb 2012 said that the last map I had on the bike (20629) was still the most current that they have in their system.
shadygrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #11460
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 245
Modified Arrow baffle with 42 holes, I'm thinking about adding a few more just for the hell of it
And the end hole is .8" by just grinding some material off the end.

And my tune is 20631 which I belive is the current one for the Arrow.

Jerry

Jblk9695 screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 12:36 PM
Jblk9695 is offline   Reply With Quote