Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #11896
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by syspig View Post
Couple items that might be of interest...

Some of you may be familiar with Brady from Storm Industries - he has a custom sewing thread going on over in the vendors section. I picked up several items from him a while back for my KLR - top notch stuff. I'm having him make up two items for the 800XC.

First up - he makes some nice small bags that mount to KLR SW-Motech engine guards. I found these to be very handy...stashed tubes on one side, and my bike cover in the other. I've sent him a template for the Triumph OEM case guards, and he's going to fab up something similar.

Also - I saw reference somewhere to cleaning up the under seat area. Just went to town on it myself, cutting out all the u-lock mounts and the OBDII tab. I relocated the OBDDII connector and the other connector (no idea what it is) forward near the battery - plenty of room there, and the wiring harness has enough slack. All the mounting tabs were cut out with a utility knife - went very quickly, and didn't make a mess like a Dremel would. Before and after pics:

With everything wide open and all obstructions gone, I took some measurements and am having Brady whip up a bag to fit this area.

I'll post pics of everything installed once the bags arrive.

Good for you! Love this bike, but it pisses-me-the-fuck-off everytime I open that compartment up.
I have a few small items, the owners manual, and tool kit in there none of them sit very well, it's a bloody fuckin' gong show trying to tuck everything into place to try to close the lid.

Hey but you knew that. Thanks for doing something about it. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

the_babaji screwed with this post 03-23-2012 at 09:00 AM
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:18 AM   #11897
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin1 View Post
And maybe the fact that my bars are now "rubber mounted" has something to do with that (lack of vibes) and the fact that the Ram mount is rubber buffered also?
I did put a piece of shrink wrap on the U-bolt though, thanks whoever suggested that!
I also had the same mount and GPS on my Buell for over 10k with no problems and that bugger vibrated!

Jim

Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #11898
Future ten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Picked up a 2012 XC last Friday. About the first thing I do is add heated grips. Hm. this bike came with 'em. Then I put on a topbox. (The bike came with OEM panniers, which I will never use and will be posted for sale shortly.) Well, there's no bolting anything to that plastic tail cover... and wow, is Givi proud of their solution, and it requires drilling holes in the tail cover. bugger that.

I have an older Givi plate- one of the aluminum ones- that came with some other random kit that's been floating around a while. Got busy, took some measurements, and hit the local hardware store.

4 - 6M x 45mm bolts and washers
2 - 8M x 25mm bolts and washers
2 - 8M nylock nuts
4 - 5/8" dia x 1" steel spacers, 1/2" I.D.
4 - 1/2" dia x 1" nylon spacers, 1/4" I.D. (go inside the steel spacers)
1" x 1/8" metal bar- Only needed 8", but the shortest piece I found was two feet.

Starting with the bar, marked off two four inch sections. For each one, mark for three holes- one 16mm from the end, one 89mm from the end, and one halfway between them (should be 52.5mm from the end). Drill the outer holes to 6mm and the center hole to 8mm.

Cut the pieces out (grumble snarf hacksaw grumble beer whine), then it was a simple matter of assembly- used the spacers to bolt adapter bars above the Triumph tail cover (Look ma, no holes!) then bolt the Givi plate to that. Had to do a little grinding on the underside of the Givi plate to clear the rear 6M bolt heads, but nothing major. Project done, net cost (aside from Givi plate) $20, and only that much because I used SS hardware to forestall rust.

I have reasonable confidence that the 4x6M bolts can carry the load, but I'll keep an eye on it. Worst case, I drill and tap those to 8M.

Next up: Horns... plural.
I'd be very interested in those bags if ya get around to it.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #11899
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
[QUOTE=syspig;18282130]Couple items that might be of interest...

Also - I saw reference somewhere to cleaning up the under seat area. Just went to town on it myself, cutting out all the u-lock mounts and the OBDII tab. I relocated the OBDDII connector and the other connector (no idea what it is) forward near the battery - plenty of room there, and the wiring harness has enough slack. All the mounting tabs were cut out with a utility knife - went very quickly, and didn't make a mess like a Dremel would. Before and after pics:

QUOTE]

"OPther connector" = Alarm connector.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #11900
Future ten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
^^^^^^^wow what a differance that makes. Looks great and room for more important stuff
Old 03-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #11901
syspig
Dog Scratcher

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_babaji View Post
I have a few small items, the owners manual...
I hesitate to mention something so obvious, but given that I didn't notice it for quite a while - perhaps others missed it as well. Are you aware there's a pocket for the owners manual under the pillion seat? Wrapped mine in a ziplock along with insurance/registration, perfect fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
"OPther connector" = Alarm connector.
Ah hah...another item I'll never use. But, perhaps I can put it to good use.

Any chance that's a standard connector like the accessory light and heated grip circuits under the tank? If so - perhaps that's another existing circuit that can be put to use elsewhere...
syspig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #11902
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,505
Quote:

Thanks for posting. I cut mine off this morning after seeing this, took all of maybe 20 minutes using a utility knife and single edge razor blades. I have a zip bag that fits nicely in there now that holds my mini compressor and tire plugging tools. Who would use that dumb u-lock thing anyways?
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #11903
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
I hesitate to mention something so obvious, but given that I didn't notice it for quite a while - perhaps others missed it as well. Are you aware there's a pocket for the owners manual under the pillion seat? Wrapped mine in a ziplock along with insurance/registration, perfect fit.

NIce!,

But how did you get the manual in there? Did you have to fold it? Mine doesn't want to seem to fit. Cant seem to get it under the tabs?
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #11904
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,380
Re the alarm plug.

Quote:
Ah hah...another item I'll never use. But, perhaps I can put it to good use.

Any chance that's a standard connector like the accessory light and heated grip circuits under the tank? If so - perhaps that's another existing circuit that can be put to use elsewhere...
That plug needs to be, er, plugged in, other wise the bike won't run. You'll notice the wires loop out of one terminal and into another. So, when the alarm is plugged in there, it can disable the ignition.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #11905
syspig
Dog Scratcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_babaji View Post
But how did you get the manual in there? Did you have to fold it? Mine doesn't want to seem to fit. Cant seem to get it under the tabs?
You do have to bend it a bit to get it in - it's a tight fit. Once in, it sits flush.

Push the binding side in first, then bend/manipulate on the page edge sides under the tabs - it will go in without much deformation. It's actually easier with it in a ziploc than by itself, and the ziploc also keeps you from bunging up the page edges when you insert/remove it.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #11906
syspig
Dog Scratcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
That plug needs to be, er, plugged in, other wise the bike won't run. You'll notice the wires loop out of one terminal and into another. So, when the alarm is plugged in there, it can disable the ignition.
Yup...and after spending a few minutes with the multimeter and wiring diagram this morning, one of those looped wires appears to be switched 12V. I say "appears", as it's registering about .5V less than it does at the fuse...so maybe there's something going on with that circuit that makes it unwise to simply pop in a PosiTap on the hot wire loop.

My KLR cheap bastard tendencies are kicking in...I think I'll just fork out the bucks for a proper additional switched circuit from Eastern Beaver.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #11907
shadygrady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
FYI...Looks like there are some new ECU maps coming out soon! http://www.tuneecu.com/Tune_List.html
shadygrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #11908
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadygrady View Post
FYI...Looks like there are some new ECU maps coming out soon! http://www.tuneecu.com/Tune_List.html
Yep, waiting to see what the consensus is before I upgrade (when available.)

Anyone upgrade TuneECU from 2.0 to 2.1 yet? Was it necessary to uninstall 2.0, or does 2.1 go right over the top?

And I also see that the new Explorer is not TuneECU compatible. Wonder what is up with that.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #11909
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
And I also see that the new Explorer is not TuneECU compatible. Wonder what is up with that.

Yeah, very odd. How did someone find that out?
Old 03-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #11910
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadygrady View Post
Very interesting. Hopefully the mileage improves a bit with the Arrow can.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote