Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #12616
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPORet View Post
Another brand you might take a look at is Nanuk. They're a Canadian brand I stumbled across at a trade show in Vegas in January. Much better looking (IMHO) than the Pelican or Seahorse. They have a more rounded style, and have a few features that Pelican & Seahorse don't. They're quite reasonable, and can be gotten for quite a deal on Amazon (especially Prime, with free shipping). I mounted one on an SW-Motech bracket as a top case on my Tiger 800. As soon as Uncle Sam coughs up another retirement check, I'll get two more for sidecases.

The Nanuk 940 is very similar in size to the Pelican 1550, being just a tad larger.
I had the Nanuk 940 side cases on my previous bike. They were great, no issues and they come in several color options.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #12617
shadygrady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
The Seahorse SE-720 is close but still slightly smaller than the 1550.

Inside dimensions of 720 = 18.38" x 13.28" x 6.22"

Inside dimensions of 1550 = 18.43" x 14.00" x 7.62"
I have a set of the seahorse 720's. I bought them over the pelicans (caribou) almost solely based on price. They work well for my needs (only do day or overnight excursions) but they might prove to be a tad too small for big trips. I've never used a pelican but I imagine the quality is comparable as these seahorse cases seem to be well made and durable.
shadygrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #12618
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Not sure elevation has anything to do with it. 87-91 is normally at every station. You can find 93 at most if not all BP. I think there is some higher octane on the west coast specific to the gas station...
Ride, ah, about 700-800 miles to the west, look around, and report back.

Denver-metro area, "regular" is 85 octane.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #12619
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Denver-metro area, "regular" is 85 octane.
Salt Lake too, not quite a mile here - 4,200' at my house downtown.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #12620
Flying Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Man, the popping under decel sounds crappy. On other bikes, I have removed the pair valve(I forget what "pair" stands for, lol) and this would generally remedy that noise. Any luck doing that sort of mod with this bike?
Flying Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:12 AM   #12621
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,560
De-cat the exhaust.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #12622
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dave View Post
Man, the popping under decel sounds crappy. On other bikes, I have removed the pair valve(I forget what "pair" stands for, lol) and this would generally remedy that noise. Any luck doing that sort of mod with this bike?
Must be the bikes are tuned for the weird and crappy Commiefornia gas, because mine has never popped on deceleration.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #12623
Flying Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
De-cat the exhaust.
I have a friend who is a fabricator. That is going to be in the works this winter.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #12624
shadygrady
Adventurer

Quote:
Must be the bikes are tuned for the weird and crappy Commiefornia gas, because mine has never popped on deceleration.
Since throwing on a Leo exhaust and loading the arrow map, mine hasn't had the popping issue. Is it certain that the popping comes from the cat and not possibly the stock muffler in combination with a leaner (stock) map?

Quote:
I have a friend who is a fabricator. That is going to be in the works this winter.
I've never 'de-cated' anything but wouldnt it be possible to just punch the internal substrate out with a long rod as opposed to completely cutting it out and re-welding an extension in place? I think the internals of a cat are pretty fragile. Of course, Im not advocating doing this!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #12625
Flying Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

I am sure that is possible as I recall having friends who talked about doing that to their cars when I was younger.

The guy I know is a whiz at fabbing. He creates one off turbo systems for a living. If he can make me a sweet arse header for me this winter without the cat, I am gonna flip some benjamins at him and sit back and watch.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #12626
shadygrady
Adventurer

Quote:
I am sure that is possible as I recall having friends who talked about doing that to their cars when I was younger.

The guy I know is a whiz at fabbing. He creates one off turbo systems for a living. If he can make me a sweet arse header for me this winter without the cat, I am gonna flip some benjamins at him and sit back and watch.
Im sure he has access to a dyno and could map it at well.

Whats the name of your friend or his turbo business? My cousin is heavily involved in V-Twin turbos http://www.seanrayturbosystems.com/. Just curious as its not a very saturated line of work.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #12627
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadygrady View Post
Since throwing on a Leo exhaust and loading the arrow map, mine hasn't had the popping issue. Is it certain that the popping comes from the cat and not possibly the stock muffler in combination with a leaner (stock) map?
+1 only Arrow can with arrow map. My dealer loaded the map for the stock can by accident and it popped like crazy. I loaded the Arrow map with TuneECU and popping went away.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #12628
Flying Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

http://www.mpfab.com/

He does fantastic work.

Tune ECU only works on a pc correct? I have a desktop at work but have been using a macbook at home for the past few years.

Flying Dave screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 12:03 PM
Old 05-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #12629
Stein67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Well, dropped off my Daytona and picked up my XC today. Didn't ride it at the dealership as I picked it up while passing through to a business meeting in Joplin tomorrow. Got to Joplin and the nice guys at Joplin Power Sports let me use their dock and parking lot to leave my truck for the evening and so I put two hours on it.

Initial reactions are, handles nice, not as slow of transitions as I thought it would be. I was pleased with suspension. Things that would have had me cringe and stand up waiting for the "thwack" on my Daytona were a simple "pa dump" on the XC. Seat is comfortable but on the low setting it seems to be pushing me forward onto the jewels. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam so I'm already on the balls of my feet so the high setting, which would likely improve this situation, is not an option.

Windscreen was causing air to pop me right on the top of the helmet which was pretty noisy. Never had buffeting and noise like this on the Daytona, probably because my whole head was in the wind, not just the top part.

One downside, this thing is S-L-O-W. Yank her open on a second gear roll and wait for it and wait and wait Shift and wait some more. Where my Daytona would be touching triple digits I might be hitting 70. I know, it's not a sport bike but I was surprised. 95 hp is still 95 hp. My Daytona had a slip-on and a -1 front sprocket as well so it's not fair but I guess it will keep me out of trouble.

On the whole, pleased with the purchase, looking forward to getting it home and on the gravel. As I live on a gravel road I saw no reason to risk it today, several hundred miles from home. Farkling will likely be minor, TKC80/K60 tires, center stand, something for a different windscreen, DIY rear plate and maybe DIY bag racks with Seahorse cases.
Stein67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #12630
Dr. Motardo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
One downside, this thing is S-L-O-W.
Interesting take but, to be fair, you're talking apples and oranges here. I traded a nicely modded Hyper S for my 800 roadie and couldn't be happier. Now, the Hyper isn't quite the sport bike the Daytona is but it did have a bit more power, lots more torque and weighed close to 100 pounds less than my Tiger. For me, while it's no sport bike, the Tiger is more than quick enough. Last weekend, I finally had a chance to try some passing moves in the canyons and it was more than quick enough to squirt past anything on 4 wheels as well as the odd cruiser.

If you want a really valid comparison, try riding an 800GS back to back with your XC. I'm pretty confident the Tiger will smoke anything in its actual class. If I could change one thing, it would be that 100 pound disadvantage. At anything around or under 400 pounds, this bike would be a world beater.
Dr. Motardo is offline   Reply With Quote