Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #12676
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,498
I had a Harley XR1200 for 24k/2yrs.... it spent 8-10 weeks in the shop on various warranty repairs over that time - first and last HD for me.... it was truly a POS that I had to unload before the warranty expired.

(But I'll be the first to admit, it was damn fun to ride in the twisties, and to be honest, it has better corning clearance than my Tiger Roadie).
Old 05-07-2012, 08:00 AM   #12677
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Back to the Tiger!!!
fbj913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #12678
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Back to the Tiger!!!
Pleeeeeeze.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #12679
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacekadet View Post
I'm actually glad the problem has stuck this time because now they've got something concrete to trouble shoot. After the first failure I've felt like I can't trust it. Imagine if this happened on a big ride to a remote location I'm guessing it's either the starter, or else a software bug. Whatever ... I hope they can say they found something wrong and fixed it.
I would try putting the bike in gear and pushing it just enough to rotate engine slightly. This can sometimes get things going. Hope an easy solution is found.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #12680
fbj913
I ride

XM Antenna Location

Where did you mount you antenna? I can't find a really good place. Pics please. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #12681
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Not sure I've ever seen a circlip used on an axle like that before...
The Tiger has a similar tensioning clip built into the nut in the rear. Both of my HD's have a cotter pin there.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:20 AM   #12682
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Eh?

I have mostly followed this thread since the start. I don't own a Tiger...yet. My interest in bikes is mostly vintage, but did break down and buy a used S*z*k# DR650 last year to use as a commuter bike and occasional dirt road ride.

Last fall, my wife has decided she wants to ride more. This from a woman who at one time would not even go near a bike . The BSA's are not comfortable 2 up...the DR actually even less so. She actually encouraged me to shop for a new(er) bike. Since my interest in newer bikes is limited, the choices to shop around were limited.

We tried assorted B#W's at the local dealer. While I liked the F800Gs, she didn't due to size of the pillion seat. She loved a 1200GS, I hated it since the bike was too large for my liking. Then she kind of dropped the subject over the winter...until last weekend

Since the Tiger was introduced, it has interested me. So now for my question and its relevance to this thread. Before we make the 35 mile drive to the nearest Triumph dealer (who has Tiger 800's & Tiger Explorer in stock), how is the pillion seat on the 800? Reality is, even with her increased interest in riding, probably 90%+ of the riding will still be solo. And if I end up with a tiger, the Dr is gonna be gone.

Just for some additional info, I am 6'4", she is 5'2". She likes the seat/peg relationship on the BSA (68 Lightning) but we both find the seat to be "tight". The DR has and even tighter seat issue and she really dislikes the seat/peg relationship.

Any opinion or advice?
Old 05-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #12683
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
I have mostly followed this thread since the start. I don't own a Tiger...yet. My interest in bikes is mostly vintage, but did break down and buy a used S*z*k# DR650 last year to use as a commuter bike and occasional dirt road ride.

Last fall, my wife has decided she wants to ride more. This from a woman who at one time would not even go near a bike . The BSA's are not comfortable 2 up...the DR actually even less so. She actually encouraged me to shop for a new(er) bike. Since my interest in newer bikes is limited, the choices to shop around were limited.

We tried assorted B#W's at the local dealer. While I liked the F800Gs, she didn't due to size of the pillion seat. She loved a 1200GS, I hated it since the bike was too large for my liking. Then she kind of dropped the subject over the winter...until last weekend

Since the Tiger was introduced, it has interested me. So now for my question and its relevance to this thread. Before we make the 35 mile drive to the nearest Triumph dealer (who has Tiger 800's & Tiger Explorer in stock), how is the pillion seat on the 800? Reality is, even with her increased interest in riding, probably 90%+ of the riding will still be solo. And if I end up with a tiger, the Dr is gonna be gone.

Just for some additional info, I am 6'4", she is 5'2". She likes the seat/peg relationship on the BSA (68 Lightning) but we both find the seat to be "tight". The DR has and even tighter seat issue and she really dislikes the seat/peg relationship.

Any opinion or advice?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=tiger
Old 05-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #12684
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,257
Quote:

Just for some additional info, I am 6'4", she is 5'2". She likes the seat/peg relationship on the BSA (68 Lightning) but we both find the seat to be "tight".
Me- 5'9", 180# Spouse Unit: 5'6", 160#

She thinks the pillion is comparable to my FJR1300.

I feel less crowded with her on the T800XC than I do on the FJR.

I sat, but have not ridden, an Explorer- it felt very similar to the T800, so I'd expect similar from it, if not more so.

I think, with any of the Tigers, your wife is going to need a stepladder.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #12685
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
I think, with any of the Tigers, your wife is going to need a stepladder.
So.... I've been meaning to ask, and you've given me the perfect opening. How DO you load and unload a passenger on these anyway?

I'm pretty much a complete noob when it comes to motorcycles, had a Kawasaki KZ750 back in the 80s, rode a Scrambler over the past year, now I have my 800XC. With other bikes its not really a question, rider gets on much like we do - leg over, done. Same thing on the XC? What if they can't do a leg over, how (specifically) do you load a passenger then? You're about the same dimensions as I am, I'm trying to imagine loading someone while I'm balls of the feet down only.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #12686
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
So.... I've been meaning to ask, and you've given me the perfect opening. How DO you load and unload a passenger on these anyway?

I'm pretty much a complete noob when it comes to motorcycles, had a Kawasaki KZ750 back in the 80s, rode a Scrambler over the past year, now I have my 800XC. With other bikes its not really a question, rider gets on much like we do - leg over, done. Same thing on the XC? What if they can't do a leg over, how (specifically) do you load a passenger then? You're about the same dimensions as I am, I'm trying to imagine loading someone while I'm balls of the feet down only.
1st way, the way I prefer. I'm on the bike standing it straight up and down and she steps up on the peg closest to her (essentially using it like a ladder rung) and swings a leg over. 2nd way she gets on first with the stand down and then slide back, then you get on. I dont swing my leg over much while my other foot is on the ground. I prefer to stand on the peg then just put my other foor over. Its much easier that way.
There is an entire thread on passenger related material http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=tiger
Old 05-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #12687
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
1st way, the way I prefer. I'm on the bike standing it straight up and down and she steps up on the peg closest to her (essentially using it like a ladder rung) and swings a leg over. 2nd way she gets on first with the stand down and then slide back, then you get on. I dont swing my leg over much while my other foot is on the ground. I prefer to stand on the peg then just put my other foor over. Its much easier that way.
There is an entire thread on passenger related material http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=tiger
That's good info. So the side stand is strong enough to be standing on the pegs, and having a passenger on eh? The amount of 'give' the side stand has when you're parking the bike is a bit disconcerting to me, which makes it seem fragile. I know its in my head, just kinda freaky.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #12688
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post

First up, I'd take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Advanced rider course. As a re-entry rider it will help you break bad habits and make you think about some stuff you may have forgotten. Highly recommended.

I'm only 5'6". I get on tall bikes "Cowboy Style", just like getting on a Horse. Left foot goes on left pet, front brake held on. Step up on peg, swing right leg up and over. Even works with a pack or top box on the back. Get off the bike the same way.

Passenger: You get on first. Both feet down, lean forward a bit. S.O. uses same Horse technique. Left foot on left peg, grabs onto your back, swings other leg up and over. Easy peasy.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #12689
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
All the bolts backed out? That's just strange. Like they were never acutally tightened to begin with. Dealer should have caught that one during prep assuming that it left the factory like that in the first place.
Violent Agreement!

Quote:
Anyway, back to the Tiger...
OK. I pulled the instruement cluster & headlights off my T800 last weekend. Two of the four bolts holding the cluster on were finger tight; one (bottom, throttle-side) had backed out a quarter inch. Not as obvious a failure as a rear wheel pulley coming off, but it'd still be a rude shock to have the front of the bike come unstuck.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #12690
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:

Any opinion or advice?
My wife loves riding on the back of my tiger. There is much more room than my old vstrom. It is quite comfortable for her and I both.
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote