Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #13336
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubRsidedown View Post
Well she doesn't really. 28ish... She's 5'5" tall, 115# so that wont help squish the suspension either.
Is there a lowering kit for the bike? There MUST be.

She likes the Triumph and the BMW 800 gs.
What are the pros and cons of either?
The Beamer is more $$$ I would assume.
She/we do ride off road (logging/fire roads) often so the XC would be a plus but not a must.

Whats the MPG on the Triumph.
Tiger 800XC V BMW 800 GS

Lowering kits are available for the 800.

I'm getting around 50mpg now with no hard bags on.

Both good bikes pretty much in the same ballpark of ability and close on price depending on the deal you strike.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #13337
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Thanks for the info - I don't think it's a super easy install, have heard bad things about it. Therefore I don't want to rely on this, but will still take a look whether it's possible without removing the side stand for too long.

Still looking for a paddock stand or something similar as this would make it much easier.
Don't even consider it w/o support from a lift or paddock stand. It's a bitch to get the flanges with locator pins lined up on both sides at once. Especially by yourself. DAMHIK!
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #13338
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,484
Quote:
Does one of you live in the SF Bay Area and has a paddock stand? I got a center stand today and need to mount it. Mounting instructions say as one of the first things: remove side stand.

Anybody in the area who could help? I'm in the South Bay and could bring bike, stand, and beer (if you so desire) ...

Simple to just tie it off to a post or pole, both sides if necessary. Unless you need more ground clearance, in which case you could run the front up on a block.

Was up tinkering on the new bike 'till late last night. Cut all the bracket crap out of the under-seat bin, filled in the missing tools for the tool pack, and found I didn't have a 17mm hex for the front axle. So a flat repair for the front would have been impossible. Picked up one of those motion-pro axle tool thingies - crap they are expensive. Oh well.

Move the bars all the way up to the next-to-last mark and they are plenty high but not as swept back. Suits just fine and now great for standing. I doubt I'll need risers. They put you in a perfect 'attack' position. Put my GPS ram mount on the bar clamp while I was at it. Just need to run a power feed to it from one of the lights up there.

Also found with the rubbers out of the footpegs (don't need) there is enough legroom with the seat low, so that works a lot better for my 31" inseam.

Did some tidy up on the tail, got rid of some clap trap back there...

My old magnetic tank bag fits pretty good too. Sump guard is on, they had to order the engine guards and center stand. Hand guards are shiite. Not sure how to install some real ones, the bar end has a very small bolt hole.

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #13339
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Quote:
Thanks for the info - I don't think it's a super easy install, have heard bad things about it. Therefore I don't want to rely on this, but will still take a look whether it's possible without removing the side stand for too long.

Still looking for a paddock stand or something similar as this would make it much easier.
Here's a pretty detailed center stand install video for T800XC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bglR4GRO2h4

I've carefully used two jacks (bottle/scissor) under each side of the swingarm for a paddock stand type lifting arrangement...
Old 07-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #13340
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Thanks for the video - I think it helps me understand of what needs to be done. I don't have a good place to lean the bike against something and I also think that said something would get in the way when installing.

I guess I'll find a way.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #13341
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,999
Quote:
Thanks for the video - I think it helps me understand of what needs to be done. I don't have a good place to lean the bike against something and I also think that said something would get in the way when installing.

I guess I'll find a way.
I just bought a wheel chock from Harbor Freight for $39. I haven't done mine, but once I have the time it's on the list
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #13342
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I'm talking about the Tiger 800. Go lift up on the foot peg of one. You'll see it pivots upward. Just like a track bike I never said I had touched down a mount or a shift lever, only the foot pegs. That's more than enough lean for the street. And since I'm speaking from experience I know it doesn't leverage tires off of the ground. Unfortunately I don't have anywhere to host the 2 gig video I shot last summer on the bike down in the smokys or you could see for yourself.
Weeelllllll....... I think this is one of the lowest ground clearance bikes I've ever owned. Lower than my previous Harley XR at the same % preload setting. Peg feelers are starting to wear through on both sides and I've sheared my side stand switch clean off. Riser kit to be ordered.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #13343
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxbike View Post
Don't even consider it w/o support from a lift or paddock stand. It's a bitch to get the flanges with locator pins lined up on both sides at once. Especially by yourself. DAMHIK!
Sounds like the OEM one is harder to install than the HB. Install for the HB took about 30 minutes.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #13344
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 362
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
Here's a pretty detailed center stand install video for T800XC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bglR4GRO2h4

I've carefully used two jacks (bottle/scissor) under each side of the swingarm for a paddock stand type lifting arrangement...
Thanks for taking time to make the video. It helps me prepare for my installation. BTW-mine came with 3 rubber bumpers.
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #13345
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Hand guards are shiite. Not sure how to install some real ones, the bar end has a very small bolt hole.
Just pay the money and get the Barkbusters made for this bike. They fit better than any handguards I've put on any other bike.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #13346
Flying Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Sort of off topic but does anyone have the Triumph logo in a vector file? I have a bud with a vinyl cutter and was going to get him to make some stickers for the hardbags.
Flying Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:28 AM   #13347
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYG RYDR View Post
Thanks for taking time to make the video. It helps me prepare for my installation. BTW-mine came with 3 rubber bumpers.

Not my vid, just something I came across thanks to the wonder of the Internet and YouTube.

I think the 3 rubber bumpers is Triumph's recall fix for the clanging center stand.....
Old 07-02-2012, 06:02 AM   #13348
eram310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Adventure Triumph Tiger 800 Tank Bag for sale

After buying this tank bag with the Tiger back in April, I decided that this bag is too big for me. It does have an amazing carrying capacity, but it is too much for me. The bag and the strap are not even 3 months old.
New they go for $140 for bag and $70 for the straps. Asking $160 +shipping OBO. for both of them.

Thanks,
eram310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #13349
turboICE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Well several people highlighted the design flaw of the pillion pegs and the risk of damage to the frame.

I unfortunately got to experience the poor engineering first hand in a 25 mph slide on a gravel road.

Still need to get it to the dealer and an insurance adjuster out to see it and a lot of other damage was suffered in what I would have thought of as a minor off. However, the frame is kinked where the pillion peg support had been welded to it which likely means it will be totaled.

The clevis mount for the rider's right peg also was also damaged. It was spread out quite a bit and only the pin stopped it from spreading further. It also looks like it is integral to the frame compounding the problem. To put less pressure on the pin on the trail we were able to close the clevis up some and it took surprisingly little force to close it back up. It is very soft and easily bent.

In the end what was not an unusual or significant off is likely going to result in the bike being totaled.
turboICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #13350
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboICE View Post
Well several people highlighted the design flaw of the pillion pegs and the risk of damage to the frame.

I unfortunately got to experience the poor engineering first hand in a 25 mph slide on a gravel road.

Still need to get it to the dealer and an insurance adjuster out to see it and a lot of other damage was suffered in what I would have thought of as a minor off. However, the frame is kinked where the pillion peg support had been welded to it which likely means it will be totaled.

The clevis mount for the rider's right peg also was also damaged. It was spread out quite a bit and only the pin stopped it from spreading further. It also looks like it is integral to the frame compounding the problem. To put less pressure on the pin on the trail we were able to close the clevis up some and it took surprisingly little force to close it back up. It is very soft and easily bent.

In the end what was not an unusual or significant off is likely going to result in the bike being totaled.
Ouch!
I wonder if there is some merit in cutting off the passenger peg brackets and fabbing a clamp-on type of bracket that would rotate on impact instead of breaking welds. Where are our creative fabricators here???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Got my CJ Designs tail rack mounted up. A very nice piece and fast shipping.

Seahorse case, I don't care for large tail boxes, this one is perfect for me.

Jimjim posted this in March - thanks for posting this info! I ordered one today. Have a seahorse box that will mount easily and is a perfect size for a topbox.

Tiger owners: is there a switched power lead at the front of the bike that I could use for GPS power?
If not, I could tap into the powerlet socket - is it switched with the ignition?

browneye screwed with this post 07-02-2012 at 10:54 AM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote