Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #13441
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylent View Post
So my new tiger has shed 3 of 4 indicators in under a week. Seems like the heat has made them super soft and high speed wind or light pressure makes the rubber crack and tear. My front signals are being held on with gorilla tape right now, and right rear is duct taped to the side of the bike. Anyone else having problems with this? Bike has not been down. Its almost as if I have a turn signal gremlin chewing on them at night!

Other than that. I LOVE THIS BIKE!!
I'd look a little harder for the gremlins. Any very young children, dogs, or cats around? No problem here in the Texas heat.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #13442
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post
No problem here in the Texas heat.
Or NM heat.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #13443
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,075
First I've ever heard of this. No issues with mine, over a year old and has been subjected to 98 degree ambient temperatures (probably 115 degrees on the highway) for hundreds of miles at a time

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #13444
Oshiat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
I'm having an interesting issue with my XC. On a hot day, the fabric of the passenger seat appears to start breaking down. It sticky to the point that it holds fingerprints. Armor all helps for a day or so, then it gets sticky again. You can rake your fingernails across the seat and the material scrapes off. Just under 6k and love the bike. Will see if warranty actually works in a few weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Oshiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #13445
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshiat View Post
I'm having an interesting issue with my XC. On a hot day, the fabric of the passenger seat appears to start breaking down. It sticky to the point that it holds fingerprints. Armor all helps for a day or so, then it gets sticky again. You can rake your fingernails across the seat and the material scrapes off. Just under 6k and love the bike. Will see if warranty actually works in a few weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Maybe it's the Armor-All that's breaking down the material.

(BTW seats, hand grips and tires are things that I like to be grippy and wouldn't go near with Armor-All - but that's just me.)
Old 07-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #13446
Oshiat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
It was doing this for a week or so and I called the dealer to bitch, the recommended using Armor All. Ive never had to put anything at all on a bike seat but gave it a try since the service dept recommended it. (the issue I'm having is not a grippy seat, when you can touch a seat on a warm day and your hand comes away with residue, something is wrong,)
Oshiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #13447
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarlint View Post
My wife and I decided to head to argentina on motorcycles so we picked up a couple of adventure bikes. My bike of choice was the 2012 tiger 800xc which I bought in january of 2012 in cash.

I love this bike! It was fast and smooth on the road and great for playing in the utah mountains as well. After a 6 hour drive or so down to moab utah, my wife and I stopped to take a break and wait for some friends. We turned the bikes off and I left my key in the ignition. When i went to turn on the bike all I saw was a red alarm light in the lower corner of the panel. There was absolutely no sound or other activity. No pump prep, nothing. We fiddled with everything; kickstand, killswitch, battery, ignition button, key positions, gas tank (couldnt hurt). We tried everything, eventually, after about 45 mins the bike roared to life and we were on our way. I gave triumph a call right then and there and said... wtf... what happened. They couldnt explain it and said that since there wasnt a showing problem I should wait to bring it in. The rest of the trip was awesome... tearing up the moab hills on a tigger was awesome!

Unfortunately this wasnt the end of the issue. Shortly after the trip the bike did the same thing in front of bestbuy in my home town. Luckily my wife was able to pick me up and take me to work and I picked up the bike after work. It started! So I looked up on the internerd to see what the deal was and if anyone else had experienced this. There are a few different cases of it but all were resolved by replacing the immobilizer.

I took my bike down to the dealership in salt lake city and they started to diagnose the problem. They got the exact same result as me and decided that the immobilizer should be replaced. Here is where the story goes from bad to worse. The immobilizer took 3 weeks to get here from the UK and it didnt work!

They then decided that it was necessary to replace the computer. So they did that. No change. I was still out a great bike for the beginning of good riding weather. The service headquarters decided that it could be the wire harness and they should check that out. So the dealer went through the wiring harness with a comb and didnt find anything. Still NO JOY.

At this point in the story the bike has been in the shop over a month and the main service headquarters decides that the immobilizer that was a replacement must have been a dud on arrival. They send a new one. This time direct! It still takes 2 weeks and FAILS to fix the problem. The bike is now giving another error on top of the other one and is failing ot sync with the keys.

The bike has now been in the shop since may and has had the following parts repaired or replaced:

Immobilizer
wiring harness
computer
Immobilizer (again)

The tiger is still not fixed and the main service headquarters in the states are frankly handling the situation very poorly. The law in Utah states that if a bike has had 6 or more repairs OR has been out of your possession due to repairs for a business day month, then the bike is a lemon and needs to be replaced or bought back. My situation clearly fits the description (using the 30 business day rule) and triumph will not give me a new bike..

I am now talking to the state about starting a law suit and I have warned triumph that I am beginning the process.

I would like to know what the community thinks about this kind of outrage. I would also like the owners and future owners of the tiger 800 xc to know what they potentially could find at their door. If anyone has experience with lemon law cases or maybe what I should do in this situation... please help!... you are my only hope!
Sorry to hear of your issues. Any news ?

doG I bloody hate shit like immobilizers - I don't want one and I don't friggin' need one (and nor do I want to bloody pay for one).

So....is there a way to override/disable the immobilizer
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #13448
Stein67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshiat View Post
It was doing this for a week or so and I called the dealer to bitch, the recommended using Armor All. Ive never had to put anything at all on a bike seat but gave it a try since the service dept recommended it. (the issue I'm having is not a grippy seat, when you can touch a seat on a warm day and your hand comes away with residue, something is wrong,)
Mine is doing the same. It was a demo and I think they used something to try to clean the shoe scuffs off of it from people getting on and off and whatever they used attacked the vinyl. It was like that when I got it. I didn't do anything to it.

'12 800 XC
Stein67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #13449
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Anyone know if there a way through tuneECU or other means besides dealer tool or having the dealership do it to clear the service interval indicator?
You cannot clear the indicator with TuneECU. The only two ways I know of are having the dealer do it, or using DealerTool.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #13450
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Here's the link to 6536: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=6536

And he says:

Despite what the above reads, I was also under the impression you need dealertool to clear the service indicator. I'm almost up to 5k miles though, and I have all the above mentioned, so I'll give it a go when the time comes.

BTW, I don't think you need to start the bike as mentioned in #5 to see codes. You can just turn the ignition on. Of course if you want to see parameters of certain sensors, you'll have to start it. If you don't start it, pull the headlight fuses to keep the battery from draining (this is more important for tuneecu).
Very curious about this, since my service reminder has been on for the last 8000 miles :) I started thinking about resetting engine codes and why that would reset the service reminder light using torque, but won't do so using tuneecu. I don't have torque and a bluetooth dongle, but I do have tuneecu and a cable. So I pulled a coil plug to set a code, and then tried clearing it with tuneecu. As I expected it had no effect on the service reminder indicator. To that end I have trouble believing resetting codes with torque will be any different. My understanding of the service reminder is the functionality is stored in the instrument cluster, not in the ECU. The miles to activate can actually be set as desired. SInce torque doesn't seem to access that function I am again doubtful that it can reset the service reminder at all.

I'd love to hear from someone who has done this with torque on a Tiger 800, not any other triumph model. A google search didn't yield anything of interest.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #13451
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein67 View Post
Mine is doing the same. It was a demo and I think they used something to try to clean the shoe scuffs off of it from people getting on and off and whatever they used attacked the vinyl. It was like that when I got it. I didn't do anything to it.
Yeah, gotta be that... A dealer telling you to put what is essentially oil on your seat is a f**king tool anyway.

I remember being able to trust my (Car) dealer's service mgr with my life, now I can't believe a word they say (service managers), it's always bullshit to make some other point or prevent having to do something or pay for something. As though they're really advancing the cause of ANYONE by bullshitting customers. Neither the dealer, the brand, the customer, nor the problem itself is helped by that.

You need to find someone you can trust for advice (which could be a tech at the same dealer even), and then tell the dealer (front of house/sales) you don't need oil on your seat, you need a new one -- and they need to stop wiping the bikes down with rags with brake fluid on them or whatever it is. You might want to check other soft bits for crazing or other signs of chemical distress, too.

Oiling a seat WTF!

Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #13452
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Very curious about this, since my service reminder has been on for the last 8000 miles :)
Mine was left on by the dealer at 10k kms, when I went in to change the oil etc., until the 20k service. It boils down to having to ride over there, ask them to please pop the seat and plug in, watch him go through whatever facial expressions suit him before I find out what a favour it is... or skipping it as unnecessary since the service interval is not related to faults, just a mileage counter.

I wanted to try out the bluetooth dongle anyway... It's been plugged in 24x7 for over a week with no issues, but then again the bike almost never goes more than 16 hours between rides. Next time the wrench comes on I'll try blipping it in Torque.
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:20 AM   #13453
Ronin1
Hoonigan

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
Mine was left on by the dealer at 10k kms, when I went in to change the oil etc., until the 20k service. It boils down to having to ride over there, ask them to please pop the seat and plug in, watch him go through whatever facial expressions suit him before I find out what a favour it is... or skipping it as unnecessary since the service interval is not related to faults, just a mileage counter.

I wanted to try out the bluetooth dongle anyway... It's been plugged in 24x7 for over a week with no issues, but then again the bike almost never goes more than 16 hours between rides. Next time the wrench comes on I'll try blipping it in Torque.
I use tuneecu, torque and Dealertool. Dealertool is the only one that will allow you to reset the maintenance counter.

Jim
Ronin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #13454
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin1 View Post
I use tuneecu, torque and Dealertool. Dealertool is the only one that will allow you to reset the maintenance counter.

Jim
That's what I thought. Where in Florida are you - in case I need my service indicator cleared?
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #13455
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin1 View Post
i use tuneecu, torque and dealertool. Dealertool is the only one that will allow you to reset the maintenance counter.

Jim
+1
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote