Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #13486
T
--------------

Oddometer: 5,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmoon View Post
Was hoping someone could give me some advice on changing a tube on my 2012 Tiger XC, tools needed for front and back, youtube video link or a short cut on this forum leaving for Colorado next week and I want to be prepared just in case. Thanks

Yep, practice makes perfect. The XC tire might be a bit harder than the dirtbike tire in the vid.

Some are sealing the spokes on the rear to run tubeless-easier roadside repair (usually).

Tools to get the frt. and/or rear wheel off. Tool or technique to break the bead.

I've got frt. tube; could be used in rear to get back to "town".

Slime (optional) for that slower leak- to get back to "town".

Pump/tire irons of choice.

Patience.....

Old 07-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #13487
dogmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Size

CyclingTom what size is that alan socket for the front I have the size 27 socket 1/2 inch drive for the rear?
Old 07-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #13488
T
--------------

Oddometer: 5,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmoon View Post
CyclingTom what size is that alan socket for the front I have the size 27 socket 1/2 inch drive for the rear?
17mm
Old 07-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #13489
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltamark View Post
My question is, how is the headlight?
Stock headlamps on the T800 are very good.

I put some Osram Night Breaker bulbs in mine and they're significantly brighter, now I would rate them excellent.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #13490
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,390
I'm in the planning stages of my next bike , I presently own a Scrambler which I plan on keeping but I am thinking of a Tiger 800 for my next bike. I apologize for not going thru all 900 pages of thread but I dont have the spare time and a short attention span.

A few questions:

How is it for touring? Not cross country but 300-400 mile days one up with maybe 75Lbs of luggage. A few years ago I thought about a Wee-Strom but I thought it was a little underpowered. Maybe a few jaunts on the interstate but mostly a mixture of two lanes and gravel roads would be the norm.

Have the reliablity issues been fixed ? I remember reading of some stalling issues early on. Any high failure parts?

How are they maintenance wise ? I dont have a dealer within 150 miles so I will be doing all my own maintenance. Anyone out there have over 30k miles on their 800?

Anyone buy one and not like it? I have only seen a couple on the road , both said it was a great bike but they were pretty new owners.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #13491
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyChosen1 View Post
I'm in the planning stages of my next bike , I presently own a Scrambler which I plan on keeping but I am thinking of a Tiger 800 for my next bike. I apologize for not going thru all 900 pages of thread but I dont have the spare time and a short attention span.

A few questions:

How is it for touring? Not cross country but 300-400 mile days one up with maybe 75Lbs of luggage. A few years ago I thought about a Wee-Strom but I thought it was a little underpowered. Maybe a few jaunts on the interstate but mostly a mixture of two lanes and gravel roads would be the norm. Have done a couple of 600 mile days with just my knees aching at the end of it. The wee would also do it but you wouldn't enjoy yourself as much. Am getting 52mpg average - 58 mpg for steady cruising at 120km/h

Have the reliablity issues been fixed ? I remember reading of some stalling issues early on. Any high failure parts?
Stalling issue seems to be build up of dust on stepper motor actuator arm. Triumph also loaded a new tune. We're onto our 3rd tune now

How are they maintenance wise ? I dont have a dealer within 150 miles so I will be doing all my own maintenance. Anyone out there have over 30k miles on their 800?
Quite a few with high mileage already. Check out tiger800.co.uk. Valve check at 12,000 miles seems to have a couple of valves requiring setting. Otherwise oil & filter and you're done.

Anyone buy one and not like it? I have only seen a couple on the road , both said it was a great bike but they were pretty new owners.
Love mine. 15 months on and I'm still having fun. De-catting it this week
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #13492
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_mech View Post
The best mod I have done to my bike. Getting the suspension reworked by Sasquatch....................
After my last long 4,000 mile trip my suspension is now done for as well. I'm at 13,000 miles of hard riding as well. I will have to give him a call. I love custom suspension. The cost is always hard to swallow but its always worth it!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #13493
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Originally Posted by MightyChosen1

A few questions:

How is it for touring? Not cross country but 300-400 mile days one up with maybe 75Lbs of luggage. A few years ago I thought about a Wee-Strom but I thought it was a little underpowered. Maybe a few jaunts on the interstate but mostly a mixture of two lanes and gravel roads would be the norm. Have done a couple of 600 mile days with just my knees aching at the end of it. The wee would also do it but you wouldn't enjoy yourself as much. Am getting 52mpg average - 58 mpg for steady cruising at 120km/h

Stalling issue seems to be build up of dust on stepper motor actuator arm. Triumph also loaded a new tune. We're onto our 3rd tune now

Quite a few with high mileage already. Check out tiger800.co.uk. Valve check at 12,000 miles seems to have a couple of valves requiring setting. Otherwise oil & filter and you're done.

Love mine. 15 months on and I'm still having fun. De-catting it this week..
not totally true. stalling issue was fixed with the tune.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #13494
fbj913
I ride

Quote:

A few questions:

How is it for touring? Not cross country but 300-400 mile days one up with maybe 75Lbs of luggage. A few years ago I thought about a Wee-Strom but I thought it was a little underpowered. Maybe a few jaunts on the interstate but mostly a mixture of two lanes and gravel roads would be the norm.

The tiger does it all great. You will have no problem covering ground on the tiger. 300-400 mile days are pretty tame.
It is reliable. Just like all Triumphs.
I ride with a guy thats got almost 30k on his. He's had no problems.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #13495
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
How is it for touring? Not cross country but 300-400 mile days one up with maybe 75Lbs of luggage..
Needs a good windscreen, that's for sure. Madstad.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #13496
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,567
My new favorite farkle is an Airhawk R. Very awesome product. I was tempted to buy a better seat, but this is way better.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #13497
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,753
Quote:

A few questions:

12000 miles on my 2012 T800. I have no problem with 500 mile days with the stock windshield. I wouldn't want to travel 2-up but solo it's a great ride.

Oh I did have to have the seat modified to suit my ass but I do that with every bike I buy.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #13498
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
not totally true. stalling issue was fixed with the tune.
My bike has the latest tune, and stalls on occasion for no reason.
the other day, it stalled as I pulled away from a light and almost didn't start. It never stalled before I got the latest tune.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #13499
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
My bike has the latest tune, and stalls on occasion for no reason.
the other day, it stalled as I pulled away from a light and almost didn't start. It never stalled before I got the latest tune.
Sounds unsafe. I would take it to a dealer.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #13500
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 6,265
Quote:

This is why I bought mine, for solo as well as two-up. There's not problem with payload capacity nor power and performance for whatever you throw on it. The tiger is everything the DL650 is not. It's lightyears better in all ways.
It is an abolute delight 2-up. Very comfortable, handles and rides very nicely. My wife and I are about 350lbs together. We tried GS and Tenere, the Tiger is just as comfortable and about a hundred pounds less weight.

Stalling issues was from a previous ecu program that affects the idle stepper motor. There are also stalling issues associated with dirty stepper motor linkage. Of the entire bike that is the only issue that I've been able to track down through this thread. Of the bikes affected, my understanding is they have all be fixed under warranty.

I only have a few hundred on a brand new one, but will also be doing all my own maintenance even though the dealer is just a few miles away. I've always done my own maint. on everything I own. Whatever is spec'd in the service manual to be done by a tech, I know I can also do.

As mentioned, another new owner. I guess the question is, have you ridden one yet? If you're an experienced motorcycle rider I suspect you'll find what the other owners found when they rode one. It's a fantastic bike that fills a fairly unique niche. The only peer is the F8, and for me, the Tiger had the road accumen that I was looking for.

After my few hundred miles these are my complaints:

There is a lot of heat that comes up from the radiators when the motor gets hot. Noticable at slow speeds and in traffic. Otherwise it's a non-issue.

The passenger seat slopes forward and was too firm so I remade mine and installed a new cover.

I don't like that there are tubes in the tires, and they didn't even supply a tool in the took kit to remove the front wheel. Without a way to jack up the bike (or a centerstand) there is no way to repair a flat out on the road. I installed a centerstand and carry a pump, irons, patch and tubes. I can live with it. I like the 21" front wheel and strong spoked wheels.

I get clean air with the stock screen so I'm happy with it. I can't say that about any other motorcycle I have owned (which is just a few).

I don't like that the passenger footpeg brackets are welded to the frame. There is no subframe and those pegs are integral. There have been some broken welds and dented fromes from low speed drop overs. I may modify them to be breakaway and field repairable.

The instrument computer is a little clunky. Hard to get to the odometer and abs turn off. Just takes some familiarization.

The rear shock is exposed to all manner of road debris from the back tire. Needs a plastic or rubber guard in front of the rear tire.

The bars feel quite wide. and they are swept back to far at the center setting for my taste. I have rotated mine almost all the way up and they are much more comfortable. They set you into the attack stance which improves bike control. For some it seems this can be fatiguing. One guy sold his because he couldn't get comfortable on it, had back and neck pain. Could have been unrelated to the bike however.

The bars also have end inserts for the cheapo plastic handguards. Makes it difficult to fit a real backbone type aftermarket handguard.

First gear is quite tall, and all the gears are quite closely spaced together. Makes for smooth operation, but first could be lower and 6th could be just a tad taller with wider spacing between all. Not a deal breaker, but it's noticeable.

These are the nitpicks. The bike is truely stellar, with so many positive traits it's hard to put into words. Very comfortable to ride.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote