Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 05:12 AM   #13576
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraUnFirma View Post

All that said, without radically altering the basic design, there's not much that could be done to substantially improve the situation and given all the other qualities of the bike, it's certainly not a deal breaker!

Cheers
Just about to remount the headers after removing the cat. Still looks stock

KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #13577
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Just about to remount the headers after removing the cat. Still looks stock

what is this going to "do" for you? Or should I say for the bike?
fbj913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:44 AM   #13578
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
what is this going to "do" for you? Or should I say for the bike?
Create an undesirable hollow resonance in the now empty box that used to have the catalytic structure inside of it

People gut cats for a variety of reasons, including claims of reduced operating temperature, better performance, and better sound. Aside from the potential for reduced operating temperature (of the exhaust system - the engine being water cooled is regulated by the thermostat) in the case of a modern vehicle I have difficulty believing anything more than a *very* modest gain in performance could be realized, assuming the rest of the vehicle is stock. For most people, the claims of better performance are based on the butt dyno, the very same butt dyno that thinks an engine runs better and makes more power after an oil change. The mechanical equivalent of the placebo effect.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #13579
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Create an undesirable hollow resonance in the now empty box that used to have the catalytic structure inside of it

People gut cats for a variety of reasons, including claims of reduced operating temperature, better performance, and better sound. Aside from the potential for reduced operating temperature (of the exhaust system - the engine being water cooled is regulated by the thermostat) in the case of a modern vehicle I have difficulty believing anything more than a *very* modest gain in performance could be realized, assuming the rest of the vehicle is stock. For most people, the claims of better performance are based on the butt dyno, the very same butt dyno that thinks an engine runs better and makes more power after an oil change. The mechanical equivalent of the placebo effect.
It's louder, so it's faster. Everybody knows that. A few years ago our son really, I mean really wanted to get a pipe for his YZ450 dirt bike. He couldn't stop going on about how much better it would run, how much more power he'd have, yada, yada, yada. That months Dirt magazine had an article about loud pipes. Without fail every rider thought they were faster on the louder bikes but all were slower than the stock bikes.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #13580
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
It's louder, so it's faster. Everybody knows that. A few years ago our son really, I mean really wanted to get a pipe for his YZ450 dirt bike. He couldn't stop going on about how much better it would run, how much more power he'd have, yada, yada, yada. That months Dirt magazine had an article about loud pipes. Without fail every rider thought they were faster on the louder bikes but all were slower than the stock bikes.
Dang! Why didn't you let him throw himself under the bus? I wasn't going to make any assumptions. These are all reasons the exhaust system on my bike is still stock. A friend of mine is an athlete manager. Specifically for pro moto athletes. Because of this I have spoken to a bunch of pro mechanics and pro athletes. They constantly do research and testing on bikes and it still seems that they commonly go right back to the stock... If its not stock it seems that it's because something else isn't. I would call it a snowball effect. But with a completely stock motor..., it seems to always stay stock. Bikes, cars, etc these days are so electronically driven that those little changes just aren't going to make any difference. All in all my opinion of course. I also understand the significance of making something your own. So, if you like it, thats all that matters!
That reminds me, anyone heard from the guy that put Speed Triple cams in his bike? I'm curious of the outcome!!!
fbj913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #13581
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 4,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
That reminds me, anyone heard from the guy that put Speed Triple cams in his bike? I'm curious of the outcome!!!
The bike's the same but the guy is a real Hooligan now.....

Old 07-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #13582
mjl222
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Any Tiger 800 owners in the Fredericksburg VA Area?

Which dealer do you use for service and why? Reason I'm asking.....relocating to that area next year and am contemplating purchasing a Tiger 800 in the near future. I presently use Hermys in Port Clinton PA for my BMWs and would rate them as one of the best around. I don't want to travel 250 mi. if I need to get the bike worked on.

Another related question..... being a half a&&ed shade tree mechanic how much service work would I be able to do on my own?

Thanks in advance.
mjl222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #13583
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
Full bore usa m40-41 tires

Hey guys, these are really nice tires. I just mounted them last night, easy to do, balance up nice. The 150 rear assembly is a beast. Hard to get the thing back into the swingarm and lined up with the spacers and caliper. I'm used to 250-size dirtbikes. I just hope they perform as well as they look.

For my quick 6 mile commute they feel the same as the scorp trails, handling is neutral on road. Just a little buzz right at about 18mph on decel, otherwise I can't feel any difference. Smooth all the way to 75 for a very quick burst.

After next weekend I'll have about 1500 miles on them and will be in a better position to say, but so far I'm liking them...a lot!

I was strongly thinking K60's, but the mounting difficulties everybody complains about was holding me back. I have to be able to pop a tube out for repair while out on the open road. And they're expensive. The FB's are a hundred bucks less for a set, and if I can get 4-6K miles out of them I'll be thrilled. Then again, if the rear is toast at 2K I'll be trying something else.

Anyway, thanks for the plug. One day shipped from the distributor in Utah: http://kgmotorcycletires.com/full_bo..._m41_tires.htm

When I called them the kid that answered the phone didn't know anything except that they had them. He didn't know they came from the Shinko factory. Oh well, what can we expect??

Old 07-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #13584
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,527
As I sit here broken harted, I'm trying to figure out what happened. I was leaving work in the pouring rain (nothing new), I lost traction approaching a turn. I don't know if I psyched myself out or what. My Tiger slid into the outside curb. It hit parallel to the curb & threw me off. My leg hit the right mirror on the way to the grass. I feel extremely lucky. The only casualty is the rubber footpeg insert. I'm going to look for it when my wife gets home. My forks were twisted in the tree & the mirror I hit was loose. I now have a few tiny scratches in the tank plastic. Somehow, I managed to ride 10,800 miles without a tip over. The weird part is I have ABS & have gotten used to it in the rain. How did I loose traction? Yes, my tires were not warmed up. I had only traveled 300 yards in the pouring rain. However, I feel like ABS should have stopped me before I hit the curb. Maybe I was thinking about not hitting the curb instead of thinking about making the corner (if you know what I mean). Truly bizarre.
I guess they welded the shyte out of my right pass peg. It's still attached & no signs of stress.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #13585
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
I remember you saying something about a muffler, new map and the Tiger "wanting to go faster..." but a joke would be inappropriate right now.

The important thing is you are all right and the more important thing is the Tiger is all right.

and Dude, be careful out there. This thread needs you.
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #13586
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
As I sit here broken harted, I'm trying to figure out what happened. I was leaving work in the pouring rain (nothing new), I lost traction approaching a turn.
Sounds like you're in good shape and Tiger has some minor battle scars; that's about as good as a get off can turn out.
The way you described the incident it sounded like a traction issue. Are those Full Bores (Shinko copies) sketchy on the wet tarmac?
Old 07-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #13587
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
Yep, practice makes perfect. The XC tire might be a bit harder than the dirtbike tire in the vid.

Some are sealing the spokes on the rear to run tubeless-easier roadside repair (usually).

Tools to get the frt. and/or rear wheel off. Tool or technique to break the bead.

I've got frt. tube; could be used in rear to get back to "town".

Slime (optional) for that slower leak- to get back to "town".

Pump/tire irons of choice.

Patience.....

I just purchased and used a set of Stubby tools. Much lighter, and I'll never use regular irons again.

http://www.stubbytiretools.com/
ssevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #13588
maxx668
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Hello newbe here,

anyone know where i can get frame protectors for a 2012 xc ?? can't fine any .

cheers
maxx668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #13589
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
Sounds like you're in good shape and Tiger has some minor battle scars; that's about as good as a get off can turn out.
The way you described the incident it sounded like a traction issue. Are those Full Bores (Shinko copies) sketchy on the wet tarmac?
I'm going to air the full bores down for now. The rear has stepped out a few times. I thought it was due to the muffler & arrow map. I've been using stock 36/42. The tires work way better then they should in dirt (aired down). Definately be careful on the Full Bore in the rain.
Next time I'm riding in the rain, I'll see what's up with these tires. Some emergency stops are forthcoming to test my ABS too.
Where I landed. I found my rubber peg cover.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #13590
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
I just purchased and used a set of Stubby tools. Much lighter, and I'll never use regular irons again.

http://www.stubbytiretools.com/
I hear good things about the stubby tools- in fact the guy in the big brown truck should drop mine off this Friday...