Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #13576
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post

Any comments? They all seem to have good reviews online.
There is also a great thread here on ADV singing the holy praises of the Conti TrailAttack. Not as much info that I can find here about the Dunlop. TrailAttack sounds like a good tire.

Don't forget the Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trail. I have worn out a rear now and this is an awesome tire. I can't fault it anywhere, did lots of hot sticky rides and also cold wet rides. These really do well in the wet and cold. If you're just doing hard packed gravel they are fine also, which is about all I do with them. I have run Conti TA's and RA's on a previous bike and they are hard to fault also. The Conti RA's seem to wear a little faster and due to the more rounded rear profile turn in quicker then the TA's do. Both have ample grip for the road. Can't speak for the other tires out there, except the stock scorpion's which were OK dry, not so great feeling in the wet. Best of luck.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #13577
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Anakee 2s are pretty fine 80/20 tire. They grip well on pavement, get decent mileage (7-9K) & I don't think (after running 3 sets) they are loud (?) Tourances good too. Distanzias are very grippy SM tire - really like them, but only 5 K mi out of a rear, is best I've ever done. No experience with other contenders.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #13578
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,255
Quote:
It doesn't appear that the RoadSmart comes in the Tiger 800's front size, so I guess that makes that decision easy.
For strictly road I'd recommend the Michelin Pilot Trail that came out not too long ago. I have one on the back of mine and it's fantastic on pavement. Michelin says not for off road use, but I've had it in plenty of gravel and don't think it feels much different than the Pirelli did. I'd imagine there are off pavement conditions where the disparity would be noticed.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #13579
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
PS: Also had PR2s (Not 3s) Excellent road tire & got 12 K out of rear. But not a good dirt road tire if its wet. And dirt roads wet here 50% of the time.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #13580
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
Don't forget the Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trail.
Nice, I didn't know there was such a thing! I had the PR 2's on my Tiger 1050 and really liked them. Sold it before I had a chance to try out the PR 3's.

I note that the PR 3 Trail comes in 110/80-19 instead of 100/90-19. Sidewall height is within 2mm so that's no big deal but does anyone have any thoughts on whether the extra width would cause an issue with fit (i.e. front fender) and/or handling?

The only other problem with them is that they seem to be unobtainable at the moment.

The Jerk screwed with this post 07-20-2012 at 02:02 PM
The Jerk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #13581
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Nice, I didn't know there was such a thing! I had the PR 2's on my Tiger 1050 and really liked them. Sold it before I had a chance to try out the PR 3's.

I note that the PR 3 Trail comes in 110/80-19 instead of 100/90-19. Sidewall height is within 2mm so that's no big deal but does anyone have any thoughts on whether the extra width would cause an issue with fit (i.e. front fender) and/or handling?
Triumph now quote 10/80 as an accepted size for the 800
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #13582
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
It doesn't appear that the RoadSmart comes in the Tiger 800's front size, so I guess that makes that decision easy.
Well they do as I've them fitted. 110/80 size approved by Triumph.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #13583
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Well they do as I've them fitted. 110/80 size approved by Triumph.
Good to know that the size is approved by Triumph.

However I can't find the RoadSmarts in that size in the U.S. Perhaps they don't bring that size to the U.S.?

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #13584
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,314
I'll give a plug for the scorp trails again. Put about 5K on them as an 'upgrade' on the versys, really liked them a lot, and there are a LOT of those owners that like them. Gee, if they're good enough for a Multistrada, certainly they are good enough for the Tiger. Found on F800GS as well.

With 22-25lbs of air in them they do really well on dirt roads.

That said, for the XC, I pulled 'em off and installed Full Bore USA M40's for more dirtworthyiness. But for an all road trip I'll probly spoon the 'trails back on.

There are lots of really good all-road tires, BT023's, Angels, PR's, 'smarts, on an on. If you want any dirt action then the conti's are highly rated, especially the trail attack, however I've never been a big fan of continental tires. Nor Avon. Nor Metzler. But there are fans for all of them.

If you're really going to go adv tire, like A2 or tourance, then the A2 is said to be far superior in wet, and better grip all around. The tourance is like an old classic, tried and true, but there are more going away from them than to them. They wear like iron but many others provide better grip and smoother running.

Personally I think the scorp trails are the ideal tire for the T800 unless you never leave tar.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #13585
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 828
Picked up my new white XC today!

I made it 14 miles for I almost received a performance reward, but I was laughing so hard when I got off the bike, the officers started laughing too.

14 miles has got to be a record somewhere.

Then I broke her in properly

So far, loving the bike. Smooth on the forest roads and extra smooth on the back roads.

Corporate Downsized - Screw it, I'm doing the TranLab

Wife and kids left, I'm going to WV
littlelionmonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #13586
invicta1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Congratulations on avoiding the award, and on the bike. Looks like some nice spots to ride out your way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelionmonster View Post

I made it 14 miles for I almost received a performance reward, but I was laughing so hard when I got off the bike, the officers started laughing too.

So far, loving the bike. Smooth on the forest roads and extra smooth on the back roads.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #13587
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 894
Wheel Spacers

Just changed my front tire and one of the spacers is grooved after 3,000 miles. New ones are $18 each from BikeBandit. Anyone thought about making some in stainless?
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #13588
dirt donkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
nice bike

Enjoy! picked one up myself. Had to sell the other bike first ST3. See you have the Scrambler up for sale? I still haven't been off road on the T800 though, see you are doing a proper break in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelionmonster View Post

dirt donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #13589
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
It looks like a great idea, I hope it holds up for you.

I'm certainly no expert, but it just seems like the constant centrifugal forces trying to throw the material off would be considerable.

Just curious if you know of others that have done this modification and perhaps if they've already put tens of thousand of miles on it without leaking?
Actually, I think the centrifugal force would be an asset, as it is pushing the material outward against the rim when in motion. Potholes and other sharp hits, as well as changes in temperature with the resulting expansion/contraction cycles would seem to be more of a worry. I have seen other sites where aircraft fuel tank sealer was used, which is apparently a two-part adhesive (epoxy?). There also used to be a place called Wheel Works (I think that is the name) in CA that sealed spoked wheels for $60 or so per wheel. I like the spoked tubeless wheels that some manufacturers are providing stock on their bikes. I wish Triumph would offer these at least as an option (for less than the price of a fresh kidney!)
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:28 PM   #13590
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
Actually, I think the centrifugal force would be an asset, as it is pushing the material outward against the rim when in motion.
The rim is inwards of the sealing material ... I think you have it backwards.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote