User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #13681
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,361
location of ABS control module

It's not clear in my maintenance manual where the ABS control module (not modulator) is located. I believe it is near the instrument panel but I can't quite see in that area well enough to confirm and would prefer not to waste my time taking stuff apart unnecessarily once I am ready to do this. I want to pull a signal from the connector to the abs module for my pro-oiler. Can anyone verify the control module location?
Thanks
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #13682
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
It's not clear in my maintenance manual where the ABS control module (not modulator) is located. I believe it is near the instrument panel but I can't quite see in that area well enough to confirm and would prefer not to waste my time taking stuff apart unnecessarily once I am ready to do this. I want to pull a signal from the connector to the abs module for my pro-oiler. Can anyone verify the control module location?
Thanks
I believe it's in front of the battery. You have to take the front plastic seat mount off to get to it. The ABS box is there. Not sure if its official name is ABS control module... but it is related to the abs
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #13683
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by av_mech View Post
After 18,700 miles of riding, I finally had to do a trail side flat repair.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This worked awesome!!! I worked the tire away from the rim just a bit to that safety lock deal. Lean the bike over and the bead popped with out any issue. Super easy!

Photobucket

Photobucket

New tube installed and re-inflating.

Photobucket

52 minutes. Back on the road!

Photobucket

I'll be doing the tubeless mod this week when I pull the 21 in. tube out of the rear. This would have been an easy plug and go.
I don't even want tell you how many flats I've had because I feel like I may jenks myself. Glad to see you got it all changed out! I'm thinking of just having woody's do my rear tire topeless (or tubeless for all you others) and super lacing it while they are at it!
Old 07-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #13684
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I believe it's in front of the battery. You have to take the front plastic seat mount off to get to it. The ABS box is there. Not sure if its official name is ABS control module... but it is related to the abs

I think you are referring to the modulator which is located in front of the battery, not the same as control module.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #13685
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I think you are referring to the modulator which is located in front of the battery, not the same as control module.
Oh, my bad. Maybe under the tank? The tank on this bike pisses me off! Why oh why no hinge??? Would it have taken that much time to put on a fricken hinge???
Old 07-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #13686
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Oh, my bad. Maybe under the tank? The tank on this bike pisses me off! Why oh why no hinge??? Would it have taken that much time to put on a fricken hinge???
Gotta make choices somewhere, add a hinge here, a couple brackets for a bolted on sub frame and then everyone's bitching cause the Tiger weighs as much as the Tenere.

I've never used the hinge on bikes that have had it anyway because usually it's not quite enough room to do what you need to do anyway.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #13687
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Here ya' go Cyclingtom... (that's not rust, it's thread lock.)

You could probably find a better pict on the UK Tiger800 forum. But I think you can get the idea from this. I'd go with a 5" arm if I did it over. The 3" is a little tight for this application.

Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #13688
T
®

Oddometer: 5,183
^Thanks MT. I've got the same GPS unit and I liked the location of yours. Think I'll give this a go tomorrow.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #13689
Masterblaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Finally got my "adventurish" bike, glad its classified as a beast.2012 Tiger Roadie.
Masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #13690
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Rear end wallow

OK, I'll put this out there for you riding roadies briskly. On a 5200 km road trip with luggage I noticed the rear end starting to wallow on fast sweepers. Now I put it down to the extra luggage, although I had the preload cranked right in. Riding this weekend with the luggage off I'm having the same issue. Rear end start penduling (?) when cranked over at high speeds. I suspect this is a lack of rear rebound, but as I searched here and the Triumph Tiger 800 forum I haven't really found anyone else having the same issue. When the shock was hot after a ride I bounced the back of the bike down and it does seem to return too quickly. When the shock is cool it is noticeably slower in returning. Anyone else out there having this problem? At 12,000 km's the shock should not be worn out yet and I think it is too early to be spending money on aftermarket improvements. I don't mind doing that after say 40k when the shock would be worn out.
I checked the headstock and have no noticeable play. Tires are still in good shape with correct pressures. Rear wheel is aligned properly. TIA.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:33 AM   #13691
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
OK, I'll put this out there for you riding roadies briskly. On a 5200 km road trip with luggage I noticed the rear end starting to wallow on fast sweepers. Now I put it down to the extra luggage, although I had the preload cranked right in. Riding this weekend with the luggage off I'm having the same issue. Rear end start penduling (?) when cranked over at high speeds. I suspect this is a lack of rear rebound, but as I searched here and the Triumph Tiger 800 forum I haven't really found anyone else having the same issue. When the shock was hot after a ride I bounced the back of the bike down and it does seem to return too quickly. When the shock is cool it is noticeably slower in returning. Anyone else out there having this problem? At 12,000 km's the shock should not be worn out yet and I think it is too early to be spending money on aftermarket improvements. I don't mind doing that after say 40k when the shock would be worn out.
I checked the headstock and have no noticeable play. Tires are still in good shape with correct pressures. Rear wheel is aligned properly. TIA.
Sounds like your shock is done. My 2006 speed triple shock was awful after 10,000km and I replaced it. Same symptoms as yours...became a pogo stick in faster corners, rebound damping was gone.
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:12 AM   #13692
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Rear end wallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomuppet View Post
Sounds like your shock is done. My 2006 speed triple shock was awful after 10,000km and I replaced it. Same symptoms as yours...became a pogo stick in faster corners, rebound damping was gone.
Do you think warranty would cover a new shock? Perhaps hard to prove the rebound is gone?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #13693
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
My rear shock is done at 13000 miles. Granted my bike has been ridden hard with a lot of off road. I would call your dealer and ask what the warranty is on the shock. I am going to have them look at mine this Friday when they replace my center stand. On the other hand, I really want better performance out of mine. So, I'll probably just have it all redone.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #13694
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,562
Question Unwanted XC handlebars wanted

Does anybody have some stock XC handlebars that they don't want? I bent mine on a get-off & kinda like the stock bars.
Sorry for the spam, but I can't afford new bars right now. I may have to use some off of another bike.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #13695
clax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Little Tiger, Big problems...Please Read!

Fellow ADV riders, I have fallen on some bad luck and need your help and support.

I've been on this journey from Canada to Argentina for roughly 5 months now. The trip is a retirement from the military present to myself and a long time dream.

My bike is a 2011 Tiger 800XC. I've always had the bike dealer maintained for it's short life to this point. It was serviced in Canada, Guatemala and Colombia. When I reached Medellin, Colombia I had the dealer there do a complete service. I told them I would get a oil change approx. 1/2 way to Buenos Aires and bought a new oil filter for the job. I also told them to look at the chain and to replace it, if it would not get me to Buenos Aires ,which was approx 10,000 Kms away. I also bought a new set of tires, and told them to adjust the suspension for 2-up with luggage, since I'd have a girlfriend joining me for a bit.

Everything looked good, but after I left the dealer, I noticed I was hitting my wheel on speed bumps. I checked the air pressure in the tires and it was about 28 psi in the rear tire!!! For two up with luggage that just doesn't work. The front tire was under well 30 psi as well. I put air in the tires and figured the dealer there made a small oversight, no harm. All the same, I thought I'd better check the suspension since it seemed too soft with my new passenger and low and behold, they hadn't adjusted that for me either. No worries, I just adjusted the back suspension myself and it was a lot better right away. I wondered why they hadn't done this, and thought maybe it was a language/communication problem as my Spanish isn't that great and their English wasn't too good either.

When I got to southern Ecuador, about 3000kms-ish away, I noticed the chain was very loose.
I stopped and had the chain adjusted at a small shop, where I also had to get a missing bolt replaced on the side-stand and my pannier bracket welded. He told me there wasn't any adjustment left in the chain and it wouldn't last too long. This really upset me because there is NO Triumph dealer anywhere close and I had just had my bike serviced. As I would find out later, it is also very hard to find a 525 chain in parts of South America. I continued on, my new plan to contact a dealer or an aftermarket parts place and get a new chain and sprocket set couriered out to me.

The phones in South America are very hard to use for out of country calls and my Skype doesn't seem to work for a lot of countries down here too. I emailed the Triumph Dealer in Medellin on June 17th and it's June 28th Today. I explained the issue to them and asked for help...IE. to have a new chain and sprocket sent to me, of course I would pay for it. I was close to Cusco, Peru by this time and thought maybe I would be able to get it there and have it put on in La Paz, Bolivia, where my next oil change would be due. I had corresponded to them at this email address before, but to my surprise, they didn't respond and still haven't to this date. I decided I better form a plan "B" and sent an email to the Triumph dealer in Buenos Aires, telling them I needed a new chain kit, but didn't get a response either.

Next, I contacted Super Sprox in the U.S. and they replied almost immediately, with a price of $300 for the chain and sprockets and $200 for shipping. My email does work! A little pricey, but this seemed like a good option, however I was concerned about using aftermarket parts as I wasn't sure if that could cause warranty issues. I have since ordered from SuperSprox, because I wasn't getting any response from the Triumph dealers here.

I sent an email on June 24th to a lady I had communicated with at Triumph in England and explained her about my troubles contacting both Medellin and Buenos Aires dealerships. I also asked if I could use an aftermarket kit without complications to my warranty. I didn't receive a response from her until July 9th.

My final thought was that no matter what, I would sit and wait in La Paz, Bolivia until I had a new chain and sprockets. I checked the chain again in southern Peru and it still seemed ok and it didn't make much noise. I left Peru and was about 1 mile from hotel Oberland in La Paz, when suddenly I heard a "clunk" sound and my bike lost power. I pulled over immediately and turned off the bike. I noticed right away the chain had come off and it was the first time this has ever happened to me; on any bike. The chain has stretched considerably in a very short distance....I guess being very close to the end of it's life. I loosened the back wheel, put the chain back on, and tightened it up. A nice Bolivian rider was also stopped to and help me out. After thanking the Bolivian guy I rode off and was at Hotel Overland soon. After checking in for camping I went back to my bike and noticed a small puddle of oil underneath the bike. I looked for the source, but it was hard to tell where it was leaking. I called Mike at Triumph back in Canada and he told me I may have a loose cover and to check the bolts. I didn't mention the chain coming off because I didn't have a clue it could be related.

Later on I talked to another bike mechanic friend at home and I told him about the chain coming off and the oil leak. He was immediately concerned and told me to take off the front sprocket cover and check the engine case. I did that in the parking lot at the hotel to find that there is indeed a hole in the engine case. Scarey shit.

I was on the phone all day. The small Honda dealership here has been very reluctant to help as they don't know Triumph's or work on them. I talked to Triumph USA customer service and they got some details from me and told me they would try to help and contact me back by email. The local bike shop has finally agreed to tow my bike in and take a look. I also contacted the Triumph shop back at home and they have been very sympathetic and are trying to help and offer some advice.

I'm not a bike mechanic, but I inspect the bike regularly and fix and maintain what ever needs to be as quick as I can. I think I did my due diligence and tried to correct this problem as soon as I could, and asked for help several times from a network that is supposed to be there to assist. When I bring my bike in for service, I expect it should get me at least to the next oil change unless something unforeseen happens. The nearest dealership is in Chili but it's icy there now and the next dealer is Buenos Aires, about 3000Kms away.

I've been in La Paz, Bolivia for well over 3 weeks now. The bike shop has patched the hole in the Engine case and I'm still waiting for my new chain and sprockets to be delivered. I've ordered and paid for two sets, but neither has showed up yet. I'm trying to have faith at least one of the two sets will show up soon.

To date the only support I have received from Triumph: (I've been in La Paz, Bolivia for close to a full month now!)

I was finally contacted from the Buenos Aires dealer, who has told me that replacing the engine case in Buenos Aires is pretty much impossible and that my warranty is most likely that going to cover any part of the repair. They said, maybe they can have it welded. hmmm. It's a long way home! Isn't the dealer there supposed to be able to fix my broken bike, properly? Everyone else I spoke to has said a new engine case is the right way to fix the bike.

I was also contacted by a gentlemen that will open a new dealership in La Paz, Bolivia but that won't be up and running for weeks yet. They probably won't end up being much help to me as I REALLY hoping to be gone by then.
I have to say John at Triumph Customer service has been very sympathetic and sincerely appears to be trying to get me some help, but to date nothing has really happened.

The Triumph dealership back in Canada, has been really helpful with advice and support, and I'm VERY glad to have them in my corner, but they are a bit far to offer any kind of hands on assistance.

The lady from Triumph Customer Service in the UK has sent me updated dealership contact info. Wonderful! Where was she when I emailed her telling her I needed a new chain and sprocket WEEKS ago!

So, I realize in the end I did ride the bike with a chain that was worn and I acknowledge that. I made a mistake judging the life remaining on this chain, but so did the head mechanic at the Triumph dealer in Medellín, Colombia. And where was the Triumph support network and help when I needed it before??? Maybe I am partially responsible, but shouldn't Triumph back me up, take some responsibility and try to help me or is the Triumph name, warranty and support network a farce? Should I have bought "the other" brand that has proven they take care of their customers? I really like the Tiger and thought I would take a chance on Triumph...I really hope I didn't make a huge mistake.

Triumph is in the Adventure Riding business now, and I hope they act like it and take care of their customers and take care of me. I can tell you the full cost of this repair bill on my small military pension will be very hard.

Thank-you for taking the time to read this and if anyone can offer any suggestions, help or advice I would sincerely appreciate it.

Thank-you,
Clay D