Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2012, 05:50 AM   #14011
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
I've seen some of the seats in this thread from Corbin & saddleman. I'm wondering what your impressions are of the above, and whether you have gone the custom route? I had a Bill Mayer on my GS that was great. Also had a Sargent once upon a time, and that seat really fit my ass Too bad they're dragging their feet on production
That was awhile back. Anymore input on seats?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #14012
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by advtenn View Post
I'll try to clear things up as best I can.

The 2011 skid plate bolts to the black steel bracket in the front of the bike just under the header and oil filter. (two bolts about 4" apart) and spring tension is required to keep the plate from moving around.

The 2012 plate does not bolt to the black steel bracket. It bolts to the under side of the oil sump. (4) nuts with rubber dampeners that hold the plate on. However the black steel bracket is still used, but only as a crumple mechanism. On the 2011 mounting design when the steel bracket collaspses the whole plate will shift back and into the header pipe.
I need to get a look at yours again and see if mine can be modified to it.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #14013
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Great minds think alike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomx971 View Post
Wanted a small tankbag for my XC and always wanted to try one of the quick lock bags. I thought about installing one of those SAE electrical pass-thru connectors in it, but instead I think I'll just get a Powerlet cord that will reach from the outlet next to the key and just leave it unzipped about a 1/4" in the front and run the cord in there when I want the bag "electrified" to charge a phone or whatever. Last pic is of the bag expanded.

I have the exact same setup. I used the Powerlet cord from the bag to the key switch Powerlet Socket and a dual cigerette outlet inside the bag. Same bag and all. I started to get the City bag but it seems too tall for my liking.
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #14014
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
I highly suggest that you back the tension bolts almost all the way out and lube them with never seize the next time you adjust your chain. You will thank me a year from now. If you don't, you risk having the bolts corrode and seize. Your only recourse then is to remove the swing arm and drill them out. Not fun. This isn't inherent to just the Tiger. It's inherent to every bike with this type of chain tensioner.
These bolts constantly get wet and dirty.

Brad
Just changed the rear tire on the Tigger and I also did this - I have had issues in the past on my Husky with this. Threads were dry as a bone so I slavered plenty of anti-seize on both bolts so I should be OK. I also greased the rear axle and packed the area round the wheel bearings with grease. We should be good to go now
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #14015
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by easypeasy View Post
I went for a ride today around Mt. St. Helen's. In Washington state. Now this was not an average ride on primary roads, this was 80% off road and wouldn't you know it after being on an old logging road that was mostly volcanic ash my tiger 800 Xc did not want to idle and would die if I did not give it a little extra throttle when stopped. I have read about the stepper motor not functioning properly after bikes have been ridden in dusty conditions. When I got back home I took some wd 40 and sprayed a small amount on the stepper motor shaft and wouldn't you know it my bike was instantly fixed and now idles as it should. Now for the fix. NO Need to pull the tank just take a Qtip and tape it to something long like a pencil ect. Dab a little of your favorite grease on the Qtip and apply it to the stepper motor shaft, problem solved. As a side note volcanic ash is a very fine abrasive dust that most of you out there will not encounter. I read about the stepper motor problem here and I hope this helps a fellow inmate. Easypeasy out!!!!!!

Easypeasy..........great post!!!

I've been trying to think of a quick and dirty way to deal with this issue/problem (in the field)...... This is much easier than removing tank, etc., which would be a complete PIA while on the trail. Thanks again
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #14016
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,289
UNI pre-filter

Wrote UNI Filter here on these, here's their reply:
Hello,

We do not offer.

The UNI Australia is a different company.

Best regards,
Tom Gross
V.P Sales

Uni Filter Inc.
1468 Manhattan Ave,
Fullerton, Ca. 92831
714-535-6933 X 26
Fax. 714-535-6927
Toll Free: 877-406-1763
Old 08-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #14017
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
So, last weekend I got my center stand installed - best farkle on the bike so far ...

And today the 15mm raising links arrived and I got them installed:

I installed just the links, then did a short test ride. I might imagine it but I think it falls just ever so slightly quicker into corners. Not a big difference, but I think it's noticeable. I'll know more when I have a chance to go out and ride my favorite routes.

After that I moved the front forks down so that they sit flush with the upper fork clamp now. That gives me about 4mm more in the front and 15mm in the rear. Long term we'll see whether I'm still dragging the foot pegs. Probably - though just a bit later and maybe not as often.

But one thing is certain: I'm very happy that I bought only the 15mm raising links.

The rear wheel is still about 10mm off the ground when the bike is on the standard Roadie center stand, it doesn't lean much further on the side stand and I didn't notice any other issues with this.

The next step will be to get the front suspension upgraded. Want to look into getting Traxxion AK-20 fork cartridges installed. Then have the seat re-worked to be about 20mm higher and more comfy, get some Pivot Pegz with rubber tops (heavier - might reduce vibration just a bit more than the standard pegs without the rubber thingy in), install the heated grips which sit in the garage now for 4 months already, get either some Bark Buster Storm handguards or the ones from the Tiger 1050, look into luggage. This bike seems to really get a royal treatment with me ...
cug, these don't show up on the Lust website, where did you get them from and how much were they? Thanks
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #14018
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
cug, these don't show up on the Lust website, where did you get them from and how much were they? Thanks
Check here:

http://www.lustracing.co.uk/suspensi...k-up-kits.html

I paid $106.06 including shipping to the US. Way too much considering that there are now eBay offers for much better prices. But I didn't find them when I searched, and overall the Lust Racing kit was something I found easily, I don't like adjustable links (as I want to make sure they are the same and stay the same), and the four-way kit wasn't out at the time when I ordered.

Nevertheless, it does what I wanted it to do (give me that little bit of more ground clearance) and therefore it was worth the money for me personally. Next time I'd do with a slightly longer rear shock while doing the rear suspension at the same time. But I postponed rear suspension for now, therefore the link got me the result right away. As I also raised the front of the bike, the handling effect might not be there as much, but the raising certainly is.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #14019
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by easypeasy View Post
When I got back home I took some wd 40 and sprayed a small amount on the stepper motor shaft and wouldn't you know it my bike was instantly fixed and now idles as it should. Now for the fix. NO Need to pull the tank just take a Qtip and tape it to something long like a pencil ect. Dab a little of your favorite grease on the Qtip and apply it to the stepper motor shaft, problem solved.
Looking in past the injector from the RH side of the bike, I can see a small opening that would allow one to squirt a lubricating spray such as WD40 into the area of the bushing. However, I can't quite figure out how to get a Qtip with grease to the area; I just don't see a straight shot anywhere that has a big enough opening to pass a Qtip through.

Any tips on how you got to it?

Yossarian™ screwed with this post 08-13-2012 at 06:01 PM Reason: added photo
Yossarian™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #14020
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Check here:

http://www.lustracing.co.uk/suspensi...k-up-kits.html

I paid $106.06 including shipping to the US. Way too much considering that there are now eBay offers for much better prices. But I didn't find them when I searched, and overall the Lust Racing kit was something I found easily, I don't like adjustable links (as I want to make sure they are the same and stay the same), and the four-way kit wasn't out at the time when I ordered.

Nevertheless, it does what I wanted it to do (give me that little bit of more ground clearance) and therefore it was worth the money for me personally. Next time I'd do with a slightly longer rear shock while doing the rear suspension at the same time. But I postponed rear suspension for now, therefore the link got me the result right away. As I also raised the front of the bike, the handling effect might not be there as much, but the raising certainly is.
I bought the 4 option dog bones from "Projection" for my Roadie, however having tried all of the settings I recommend you don't go any more then 15mm raise. The least increase with the Projection was still 13mm which is fine. The second was 23mm and was too much, adversely affecting the handling. I never rode it with the other too settings as things just would have been worse. Rebound was worse and the bike became very twitchy and unnerving at 23mm. I will be putting the stock dog bones in and raising the back by 13mm with a new rear shock I ordered. So if anyone wants to try the Projection dog bones once I have my new shock you are welcome to them. Just pay me the postage.

I also raised the front as much as it would go, about 4mm and mounted the side stand inside the frame with 9mm stainless steel spacers after grinding the crap out of it in a left hand compression turn. Scared me good and threw me off line quite a bit. Didn't come close to crashing thankfully and the sidestand safety plunger just barely escaped damage. So far so good, haven't scraped anything since.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:25 AM   #14021
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Wrote UNI Filter here on these, here's their reply:
Hello,

We do not offer.

The UNI Australia is a different company.

Best regards,
Tom Gross
V.P Sales

Uni Filter Inc.
1468 Manhattan Ave,
Fullerton, Ca. 92831
714-535-6933 X 26
Fax. 714-535-6927
Toll Free: 877-406-1763
It's tough living in a backwater. But you can move to Australia!

The right company is here ---> http://www.uniflow.com.au/

I own, yet cannot find, the ABS version of the filter on their site. Otherwise you all could paypal me $30 each and if there's about 20 that's $100 for a box to California -- at least, that oughtta be enough, wouldn't it? I might need to be careful heh. Anyway just ask em at the Aussie unifilter and I'm guessing they'd sell you 20 in one shipment...

Chris
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:07 AM   #14022
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 345
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
It's tough living in a backwater. But you can move to Australia!

The right company is here ---> http://www.uniflow.com.au/

I own, yet cannot find, the ABS version of the filter on their site. Otherwise you all could paypal me $30 each and if there's about 20 that's $100 for a box to California -- at least, that oughtta be enough, wouldn't it? I might need to be careful heh. Anyway just ask em at the Aussie unifilter and I'm guessing they'd sell you 20 in one shipment...

Chris
Thanks Chris.

I sent a inquiry to them yesterday regarding pricing and shipping costs for a group buy. Will post the results here later.
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #14023
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYG RYDR View Post
Thanks Chris.

I sent a inquiry to them yesterday regarding pricing and shipping costs for a group buy. Will post the results here later.

I would take one.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #14024
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 345
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post

I would take one.
If you want on the Group Buy List for the Uniflo Pre-filter, add your name to the list, which is located here.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...704559&page=84

Specify ABS or standard.

Thanks.
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #14025
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 761
Has anyone tried to relocate the front blinkers to a more protected position. I was comparing the 800 to a 1200 and a 1200 ga this weekend and they have a much better location. Since I've already knocked one off, it's something I'm looking at doing

Buy my Jetta TDI
Buy my jacket
littlelionmonster is offline   Reply With Quote