User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #14146
orv
Busted butt

Oddometer: 442
Fuel reserve notes

My last tank included drag race starts at each light, mountain twisties and some freeways at 80ish. Fuel light came on at 178 miles. I filled at 205 miles, and it took only 4.3 gallons, which confirms I have about 60 miles reserve after the light came on. I like the 49 mpg, but it was all above 5000 feet, which does help mileage.

My KLR had a reserve valve setting that gave me 70 miles before empty. I won't say how many times I ran out after switching to reserve! The dummy low fuel light on the 800XC probably won't save me either. The Versys light comes on about 25 miles from empty. I pay a lot more attention to that!
orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #14147
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
I came back from week ride to and around Norway this weekend.
Best I did was 388 km on the tank without running dry with 45 km remaining indicated.
Worst...don't ask. Got carried away on German motorway because of boredom of transit...was racing some cars in no-limit zones and 110+ mph

On all occasion board computer was in "distance to empty" mode and did excellent job of not letting me run dry. I had this mode on all the time and found it to be greatly useful. I came back home on Sunday with 40 km to empty according to computer and fuel bars accordingly and reserve light on. No probs at all. Later drove to fuel station and filled up.
It seems that "brain" constantly recalculating "distance to empty" based on momentary and average trip consumption which helps to keeps it rather real. I was positively surprised by that. And it seems tad pessimistic, which is great.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #14148
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
On all occasion board computer was in "distance to empty" mode and did excellent job of not letting me run dry. I had this mode on all the time and found it to be greatly useful. I came back home on Sunday with 40 km to empty according to computer and fuel bars accordingly and reserve light on. No probs at all. Later drove to fuel station and filled up.
It seems that "brain" constantly recalculating "distance to empty" based on momentary and average trip consumption which helps to keeps it rather real. I was positively surprised by that. And it seems tad pessimistic, which is great.

+1

Love this feature.

Also nice to know there's plenty of reserve. I don't mind filling it up, but also wanted to know what I was up for in a worst case scenario.

Thanks all!
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #14149
motonut
Old Guy

Oddometer: 62
Age related memory impairment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
My Garmin GPS does the same thing if I use a non-Garmin USB lead. It eventually figures out it's not connected to a PC and powers up and charges up as normal. Did you leave it for a little while to let it sort itself out ?
I am not at all sure! It has been a couple of months I guess, but I need to check out the possibility that it may sort itself out and go into a charge mode.
motonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:46 AM   #14150
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonut View Post
I bought into one of these and installed it a while back. It is good kit, as far as workmanship, etc.

My Casio Commando smart phone will not charge through it though ( ! ) , it does recognize that it's plugged up but displays something like "USB debugging device connected" and that's all folks.
My Motorola DroidX charges with no problems.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #14151
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,491
Axle f/r diameter?

Anyone happen to know the axle diameters of the XC?
Old 08-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #14152
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Anyone happen to know the axle diameters of the XC?
If you look at the wheel bearing size on here http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...lock_03=560040 that should give it. Seems it's 20mm on the front. I'll let you find the rear.

blacktiger screwed with this post 08-24-2012 at 10:47 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #14153
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
If you look at the wheel bearing size on here http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...lock_03=560040 that should give it. Seems it's 20mm on the front. I'll let you find the rear.

Yeah, I figured 20mm both F/R from parts specs on the bearings also; I just wondered if anyone had direct info from a disassembly.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #14154
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Received my center stand today. Thank God for You Tube. How can they ship something like this without any installation instructions?
Installing tomorrow.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #14155
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Windshields, Oil, and Tires....

Windshields, Oil, and Tires....

Just kidding.

Picked up my new Tiger 800XC this week. Got a good deal on a demo machine. Intense orange with 500 miles on it. I am having some issues with the windshield and I'm hoping to experiment with it on the cheap. For now, i'm loving the machine. I know I'll miss my Street Triple some, but the Tiger is so much more versatile for me.

Anyway, another lady Tiger rider here.

Pics and reports to follow.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #14156
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Received my center stand today. Thank God for You Tube. How can they ship something like this without any installation instructions?
Installing tomorrow.
All the accessory installation instructions are available at triumphinstructions.com.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #14157
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,485
Quote:
Installing tomorrow.
Yeah, just lean it off with a tie-down and take the side stand off. The center goes on easy. Button'er back up. Nice accessory. Yes, easy how-to download from triumph.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #14158
invicta1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Leo Vince baffle

Anyone out there have their LV baffle they no longer want? I cut mine down to about an inch, which was just fine, until I put on a madstad windshield. Now no crazy buffeting, and a much quieter ride. But I can hear the LV too well, not too loud, but too much drone, even with the partial baffle. Before I go deaf, I must source a full baffle. Anyone? Will swap my cut down version if you wish! Not obvious the LV sells these, though I suppose they must, but I'm sure there's a number of them sitting in folks garages too. . .
Old 08-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #14159
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Installing tomorrow.
All instructions for ALL Triumph accessories are as stated on Triumphinstructions.com
Reason is that all accessories are meant to be installed by triumph trained technician. Says so in instructions.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #14160
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,174
Took out a Roadie, this past Thursday. Compared to my 1050, I'm not totally smitten with the 800. The difference in power, or torque, is substantial. I'm used to the roll-on of my 1050. The 800's engine is much smoother, though. The 800's handling is much heavier. Looking at geometries, the 800 has .7 degrees more rake and 4.7mm more trail. That, combined with the narrower, 19" tire's longer contact patch, makes for heavier steering/handling. The passenger position of the 800 is much lower and lends to a much less top-heavy feeling, two-up. The 800's lower and better weight distribution is a dramatic difference. I've had continued wrist and elbow issues, so the weight subject is the most important, especially two-up. Overall, she and I felt the 800 was a downgrade, in genaral feeling, to the 1050. The 1050 is so much more substantial. My thought was that the 800 reminded me of riding a standard SV650, just with a different engine. She thought the same. Bottom line: I'm wanting the 800 Roadie, due to the weight differences. It's a great motorcycle, when based on its own merits or against like machines.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote