Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #14176
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
That's one of reason's I went this route, because they weren't as wide as most hard cases. Plus it kinda gives me a self imposed limit on what I can carry, which is a good thing. I love my DirtBagz on the DR but they aren't the most convenient and I just didn't want to be strapping/un-strapping bags this trip.

I have a tank bag installed and the option of throwing the Triumph tail bag on the back, I've got more storage than I've ever had on a bike before, last thing I'm feeling is cramped for space.
Same setup here, plus another 720 for a topbox. I used them and liked them on the Versys, so just got new racks and carried them over to the Tiger. With a roll-top drybag on the pillion there's space for gear for extended trips, weekenders without the bag . With really compact backpack gear there is plenty of room. Total width is about 39".

The HT racks are hell for stout, but I could'a gave them a lesson or two on engineering them better for this bike. The biggest disappointment is the right side forward attach point - precludes running an aftermarket exhaust. Not to mention the stupid width.

My maiden voyage a month or so ago...

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #14177
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
that's one of reason's I went this route, because they weren't as wide as most hard cases. Plus it kinda gives me a self imposed limit on what I can carry, which is a good thing.
Yeah, understood. I keep coming back to potentially buying a set of 31L balanced Metal Mules for similar reasons. They are just 89cm wide, 31 liter top loading each side, kind of okay looking frames when the cases are off, easy to attach the cases, rock solid (but hell breaks loose when you bent one of the boxes or the attachment mechanism ... no way of pounding them back in shape), good locks.

The unfortunate part is the price. With balanced frames and the Scorpion exhaust I was quoted slightly below 2k. That's pretty stiff considering that the Scorpion can is normally around $300 to $350. The price is why I haven't bought anything yet and still look around what to do. I just don't want to go any wider than 92cm as this is roughly the max width in the front (93cm mirrors, 92cm bark busters). I hate wide loads, they affect handling, make lane splitting harder, I might start touching things at gas stations, and so on.

One question to you guys using Pelican cases: How well do (full case) liners work if you use them? Do you easily pinch them or are they easy to get in and out of the side loading cases?
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #14178
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,062
Quote:
I've got my Tiger where I want it, just in time for the BC Big Trailie Ride next week. Really looking forward to it.

This is why I went with the smallest tank bag I could find (Coretech mini something). I hope you don't plan on standing with that massive tank bag against your nards.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #14179
slobinski
Inept adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Question Heidenau K 60's

Anyone tried them on a Roadie? I'm giving some thought to using them next summer on a trip to Inuvik. The only possible snag I can see is front fender clearance. I saw somewhere that a guy had made a set of brackets to raise the fender...

Meanwhile, a new set of Tourances is on the way. The stock Scorpion rear turned into a slick at 6000 miles.
slobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #14180
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Yeah, understood. I keep coming back to potentially buying a set of 31L balanced Metal Mules for similar reasons. They are just 89cm wide, 31 liter top loading each side, kind of okay looking frames when the cases are off, easy to attach the cases, rock solid (but hell breaks loose when you bent one of the boxes or the attachment mechanism ... no way of pounding them back in shape), good locks.

The unfortunate part is the price. With balanced frames and the Scorpion exhaust I was quoted slightly below 2k. That's pretty stiff considering that the Scorpion can is normally around $300 to $350. The price is why I haven't bought anything yet and still look around what to do. I just don't want to go any wider than 92cm as this is roughly the max width in the front (93cm mirrors, 92cm bark busters). I hate wide loads, they affect handling, make lane splitting harder, I might start touching things at gas stations, and so on.

One question to you guys using Pelican cases: How well do (full case) liners work if you use them? Do you easily pinch them or are they easy to get in and out of the side loading cases?
I have the Pelican cases from Caribou. They work great, but they are 39" wide. I have the case liners that he sells which stay inside the cases. They prevent the lid from opening up all the way and the contents from spilling out. They are really handy as they make all the contents very accessible unlike top loading cases. Highly recommended. Here is the link.

http://cariboucases.com/store/?name=...=i&item=000374
Old 08-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #14181
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by slobinski View Post
Anyone tried them on a Roadie? I'm giving some thought to using them next summer on a trip to Inuvik. The only possible snag I can see is front fender clearance. I saw somewhere that a guy had made a set of brackets to raise the fender...
Contact Twisted Throttle. They'll know.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #14182
drgunther
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by slobinski View Post

Meanwhile, a new set of Tourances is on the way. The stock Scorpion rear turned into a slick at 6000 miles.
Won't be a problem for you, I'm running K60's on my roadie (both back and front). Just remember to not overinflate the rear tire, it's going to misbehave otherwise.

Oh, and I'm not using any fender raising brackets.

drgunther screwed with this post 08-30-2012 at 11:31 PM Reason: More info
drgunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #14183
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,119
Just changed the tires on my XC. When I was putting the rear wheel back on, this little clip dropped from around the caliper. I don't see where it is supposed to go and I don't see it in the service manual. I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #14184
GearHd6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
It goes at the front side of the brake pads, between the pads and the black caliper bracket.
GearHd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #14185
GearHd6
Gnarly Adventurer

You might be able to just see the tabs wrapping around the bracket.

GearHd6 screwed with this post 09-02-2012 at 08:42 PM Reason: Added Picture
Old 09-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #14186
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
You might be able to just see the tabs wrapping around the bracket.

Ahh. Great. Thanks. Not sure why it isn't in the manual? Maybe, I missed it. Thanks again.
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 09-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #14187
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
New centerstand? Check the rubber bumpers!

I got the new centerstand in July. Today I found that it's missing one of the bumpers already. Annoying. Triumph plain doesn't get this thing even close to right.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #14188
GearHd6
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Ahh. Great. Thanks. Not sure why it isn't in the manual? Maybe, I missed it. Thanks again.
Yeah you're right. I just thumbed through the brakes section in my shop manual and I see no mention of it in there either. Strange.

And you're welcome. I knew I had spotted it on my bike before but just wanted to run out and snap a photo rather than try and explain it.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #14189
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
Yeah you're right. I just thumbed through the brakes section in my shop manual and I see no mention of it in there either. Strange.

And you're welcome. I knew I had spotted it on my bike before but just wanted to run out and snap a photo rather than try and explain it.
Seems like the only purpose would be to hold the pads in place while installing caliper. I took the caliper off to check the pads. That's when it dropped to the ground, so I figured it had to have something to do with the caliper. Now that the caliper is mounted, I wonder if I really need it?
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 09-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #14190
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Triumph plain doesn't get this thing even close to right.
Must have been designed by the same guy who did the original kickstand and switch. At least they've changed that now.

The Tiger 800 is a new model for Triumph. Even though there are a few niggling details, I'm still impressed. You always take a chance with new models, but I'm as comfortable (or more) with Triumph as with anyone else. I am reminded of the last GL1800 which needed to be stripped down for the frame to be re-welded in the field. That would be a serious disappointment.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote