ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2010, 11:12 PM   #31
HayDuchessLives
Loquita

Oddometer: 1,118
Awesome photos!

Viewing all these photos brings back wonderful memories of the quick trip we took up there at the end of May. I feel very fortunate AlcanRider let me ride with him as he's a great font of information as he's been on this road many times. Like Jack, I want to return to the Haul Road and park here and there and spend time hiking and exploring some of the areas more thoroughly. We are very blessed up here to have such remote, scenic solitude to escape to whenever our schedules, and weather, allows!
HayDuchessLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:15 AM   #32
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,840
With the riding season for the Dalton Hwy pretty well done for another year, and quite a few of the inmates here with photos taken on that northern "highway", maybe it's time to bring this thread back to the fore and see if it can get some more contributions. To get it moving, here are a few more from my past trips north -

May 31, 2007 4:15 PM - Many riders have taken a nearly identical photo from this vantage point on the north side of Atigun Pass, looking northward down the Atigun Valley, and no wonder. It seems to draw you onward, to continue this adventure... to see where it will take you.

June 5, 2008 No idea how many riders stop in to take advantage of the impressive displays and information available at the Arctic Interagency Visitor Center in Coldfoot, across the highway from Coldfoot Services.

While many riders will disagree, to me the trucks on the Haul Road are part of what I find appealing about it. Perhaps it's because I've spent my share of time behind the wheel of 18-wheelers here in the Great Land, and have a good idea why they are up here too. It's more than the money.

July 30, 2004 3:15 PM - With Deadhorse just 13 miles distant on the horizon, the trip north is almost finished, and the northbound traveler can breath a sigh of relief... until he realizes he has nearly 400 miles of gravel left to ride before hitting the pavement at Mile 0 near Livengood. While this scene is reminiscent of Kansas, the rider who has been traveling across mile after mile of wilderness knows Kansas doesn't hold a candle to the vast Arctic Plain.

May 31, 2007 5:00 PM - From Mile 236 the relatively steep climb up to the Chandalar Shelf can look pretty daunting, but it is merely a prelude to the much longer ascent to the top of Atigun Pass, just 5 miles farther north.

May 31, 2007 1:45 PM - Another steep, but much, much shorter hill is Ice Cut, where the highway was routed up and over a bluff along the Sag River which is a nesting area for Peregrine Falcons.

June 6, 2008 2:30 PM - While it's appearance is anything but alluring, the surface conditions found on the Haul Road remain a part of why riders choose to make the ride to Deadhorse. The mud, gravel, possible nasty weather... these all add to the challenge and make conquering the Dalton something not everyone is willing to attempt.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #33
staudio
Time for a ride...

Oddometer: 179
Wow, great photos...the one pic of the mama grizzly bear...wouldn't not want to cross paths with her and piss her off!
Old 09-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #34
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.REX63
You guys need to stop posting! ...I WANT TO GO BACK NOW
All of you guys need to stop posting I don't have enough time to read all these reports and I spend my day daydreaming and can't do any work

Now I found your two reports, 11K in 22 days? I just did 9000 in 22 days cross country, loved it and am now reading "Alaska 2010 - 3rd time is a charm - Two Up"

Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #35
RUOK
no, no I guess not

Oddometer: 315
Alcan Rider, thanks for starting this thread, there's been some fantastic pics posted up. I just made the ride this summer and these views are helping me relive the trip.
Here' a couple of mine

Looking back at the Yukon River Bridge

[IMG][/IMG]

The reason the road exists, these guys have to drive it year round, got my respect
[IMG][/IMG]

Finger rock

[IMG][/IMG]

Road and pipeline heading for the horizon

[IMG][/IMG]

Sukapak Mtns

[IMG][/IMG]

river heading out of Wiseman

[IMG][/IMG]

11:00 pm July 6th 2010 top of Atigan Pass 37 degrees rain and light snow up high

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

July 8th 2010 60 degrees and sunny

[IMG][/IMG]

The pass going back

[IMG][/IMG]

see the truck going up

[IMG][/IMG]

headed down

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

might want to pull over

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

taking some of the Dalton with you

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

What a awesome experience, the Dalton has so many personalities.

RUOK screwed with this post 09-18-2010 at 07:37 AM
RUOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #36
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK
What a awesome experience, the Dalton has so many personalities.
A truck driver on the Dalton told us the road changes every hour. We in our very limited experience agreed.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #37
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Across the Northeast U. S. storms are bringing blizzard conditions to many large cities, thousands of airline flights have been canceled, and ice and freezing rain have brought traffic to a standstill. Meanwhile, here in Glennallen, Alaska, the temperature rose to 35 above (warmer in some spots) with a few raindrops and calm winds. Spring weather - but it won't last.

At least the winter weather provides the opportunity to sit down and go through photos from past trips. Many riders have posted Alaska rr's with great photos taken on the Haul Road. Let's get some more of them posted in this thread, with links to your rr's, so people can find out a little more about this remote "highway" in one place.

Here are a couple more from my collection:
5/30/10 Near Galbraith Lake, a collapsing pingo next to the road -

Riders going to Deadhorse in late May are treated to the sight of thousands upon thousands of waterfowl preparing to nest on the vast open tundra. Here are two of one species, out of literally hundreds to be seen there -

For first-timers, the surprise of seeing thousands of square miles of flat, empty country - after riding through hundreds of miles of mountains to get here - is nothing less than awe inspiring. Hint - this isn't Kansas -
Haul Road Primer
Old 02-02-2011, 05:54 AM   #38
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,840
heading north from the top of Atigun Pass June 15 2009 (link to my ride report in my sig line)

IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #39
wiseanhyzer
\ˈwī-zən-ˌhī-zər\

Oddometer: 1,539
Great pictures! Thank you for posting and keep 'em coming.

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #40
goldenrev
New Dream

Oddometer: 381
Most excellent photos

Thanks for sharing so many excellent photos. I will be heading up from N. CA this June to see for myself...
Old 02-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #41
Tn. Walrus
Knuckle Dragger

Oddometer: 303
Alcan Rider, what camera/ filters/ processing are you using? The colors are extremely vivid in your shots.

Salus Populi Est Suprema Lex.

IBA# 49285
Tn. Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:33 AM   #42
ddennis669
Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
I was there in late June of 07. Once north of Atigun Pass it is nothing short of intoxicating.

Some riders approach as I near Deadhorse.

Southbound.

ddennis669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:29 AM   #43
Laconic
Gaulded

Oddometer: 15,394
Great photos ACR, thanks.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #44
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn. Walrus View Post
Alcan Rider, what camera/ filters/ processing are you using? The colors are extremely vivid in your shots.
And I look at the photos others post in their ride reports and wonder how I can get the beautiful colors that they display.

When I take the time, I like to post-process the photo a little if it needs it. Add a little contrast, give it more color saturation, maybe reduce the gamma if it looks to be overexposed. Anything to improve the image without doing any Photoshop-type manipulation. Some of the photos are HDR shots, but I try to minimize the effect so it is barely detectable, yet offers an improvement. This is one of those -

This is also an HDR photo, but more obvious to those who have used the process themselves -
Haul Road Primer
Old 02-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #45
ROYAL COACHMAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 911
Absolutely stunning photography gentlemen!!!!!