ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #46
Tn. Walrus
Knuckle Dragger

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
And I look at the photos others post in their ride reports and wonder how I can get the beautiful colors that they display.

When I take the time, I like to post-process the photo a little if it needs it. Add a little contrast, give it more color saturation, maybe reduce the gamma if it looks to be overexposed. Anything to improve the image without doing any Photoshop-type manipulation. Some of the photos are HDR shots, but I try to minimize the effect so it is barely detectable, yet offers an improvement.
Thanks, I've never tried the technique, but I am going to.

Salus Populi Est Suprema Lex.

IBA# 49285
Tn. Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #47
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesage View Post
How about a little Dalton video (scroll down page a little):

http://dualsportmotorcycling.com/
Surely you must taken shot some still shots too. Post a few of them for our enjoyment. BTW - looks like you had some nice weather on your ride. But still, there's no way you can escape the mud somewhere along the route, is there.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:28 AM   #48
superdutyGS
lone rider

Oddometer: 846
Great Thread

I just love this guys. Thanks so much too all that have posted pics.
I appreciate you starting the thread too Alcan Rider. I leave Missouri July 14th for the Circle. Not planning on deadhorse, going to go to coldfoot and turn back. These pictures have me counting the hours rather than the days. thanks again to all the contributors.

Set tall in the saddle, hold your head up high...Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky....Live like you aint afraid to die. And don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "Chris Ledoux"
superdutyGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #49
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,471
Definetely, awesome pictures! Looking forward to ride there this summer!!!!

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #50
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesage View Post
Some of the mud I encountered on the Dalton was where it appeared water trucks had come through (dust control?).
The heavy truck traffic, combined with the calcium chloride, results in a surface so hard grader blades can only scratch the surface unless it is softened with water. So they soak it with thousands upon thousands of gallons of water for a couple of days prior to grading it. Usually done in stretches of three to ten miles at a time, so you only have to get through that much before you're back on drier ground and can breathe easy again - until the next wet stretch.

This photo was shot out the windshield of my van during a trip on which I took a couple of tourists to Deadhorse to take a peek -
Haul Road Primer
Old 02-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #51
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,306
Frijole wont post his pix from our 2009 trip, so I will

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:42 PM   #52
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiroux View Post
Frijole wont post his pix from our 2009 trip, so I will

Talk about vivid colors - those are really nice considering how dull it can be in that valley!

Quote:
Early June and Galbraith Lake is still pretty solidly covered with ice. But it looks like you had a warm day - at least that far.

Quote:
As many times as I have made that climb up to Chandalar Shelf, never once have I taken a photo looking back down the Dietrich Valley like that. Another nice one, with perfect lighting.

Quote:
Just a few clouds high over Atigun; looks like you had one of the rare beautiful days to do the trip. Sure makes you glad you did it, doesn't it.

Quote:
Judging by the time between photos, you made really good time up and back. When I went up a few days earlier, the road was in great shape. And going up again at the end of June the last 30 miles into Deadhorse were the best I've ever seen.

You have some more great photos from the trip, keep posting.
Haul Road Primer
Old 02-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #53
rgiroux
Invisible Man

We must have had the best weather in many a year on our trip north. From the time we left Idaho, until we got to Coldfoot, it was usually warm and sunny. in fact we got into Coldfoot and the temps were in the 70s. Yukon Crossing it was 80! Couldnt believe it.

On the bit from Coldfoot to Prudhoe, we didnt put on cold weather gear until we were about 40 or 50 miles out of Prudhoe. Then it got windy and cold, but still clear. The way back was a whole different story, tho. We hit rain about 40 miles north of Atigun. We blame Francis, our new riding buddy as he had challenged the weather gods by asking earlier where all the bad weather people talked about was

Course, true to form, we got to the Pass and the sun came out and it was warm and sunny all the way back to Coldfoot. Didnt hit cool weather until two days later in Anchorage.

Best trip ever (so far)

Mostly sunny on the way north

Sounds like you know almost every inch of that road?

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
Old 02-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #54
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Quote:
Judging by the time between photos, you made really good time up and back. When I went up a few days earlier, the road was in great shape. And going up again at the end of June the last 30 miles into Deadhorse were the best I've ever seen.

We left around 8 or 9 in the morning from Coldfoot. Got to Prudhoe around 2:30 or 3:00. Road was fantastic except for one small area being worked on.

Ate at Prudhoe Bay Hotel (?) and left to go back south around 5pm. Made it into Coldfoot around midnite after battling some heavy duty rain and mud for a couple of hours!

Funny how that is a different road almost every day. Makes for a trip that is never boring.

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
Old 02-26-2011, 12:04 AM   #55
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Sounds like you know almost every inch of that road?

Winter and summer. This photo was taken at 3:15 in the afternoon on Christmas Eve '07, about 3 miles south of your photo. You can match the peaks at the left of your photo.

Like the sun in the summer, the moon never set all night long. But unlike your trip, the coldest spot was crossing the Yukon (-20F), and the warmest was at the top of Atigun Pass (+15F).
Haul Road Primer
Old 03-23-2011, 05:39 PM   #56
frijole
Clickin'

Oddometer: 906
Rick, this was my favorite trip too. Let's think about a Dempster trip someday. Maybe Alcan Rider wouldn't mind joining us? :)
frijole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #57
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by frijole View Post
Rick, this was my favorite trip too. Let's think about a Dempster trip someday. Maybe Alcan Rider wouldn't mind joining us? :)
Y'know... it's been on my mind that I still haven't gotten around to making the run up to Inuvik and it is time to correct that oversight. Let me know when you're headed that way, maybe I can take a few days and tag along. I promise not to slow you down too much.
Haul Road Primer
Old 03-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #58
frijole
Clickin'

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Y'know... it's been on my mind that I still haven't gotten around to making the run up to Inuvik and it is time to correct that oversight. Let me know when you're headed that way, maybe I can take a few days and tag along. I promise not to slow you down too much.
We would probably so you down. Rick and spudnick and I stopping every 5 min to take pix :) when we get around doing this, we would love to join you on this trip.
frijole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:34 AM   #59
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
Jack, your eye with the camera is simply amazing! Just when I thought your pics had amazed me to no end, I stumble upon another thread of yours that raises the bar even higher! 86 days till departure from south Florida! So cannot wait! Plans and purchases are down to the minor details, I could actually leave tomorrow, but it might be tough riding up there still!!

We plan to do our best to get through Glenallen to buy the famous ALCAN Rider a cup of coffee and hear some of the tales in person!!!! We should make Fairbanks around July 10 or so sometime after that we should be in your neck of the woods!!!

PS........looked up where your cabin on the edge of the park is! WOW, I bet that is solitude and amazing!!
FLARider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:24 AM   #60
Delta88
Knurly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
These are mere snapshots as opposed to the many wonderful photographs you've all posted but here they are just the same....

Fireweed

We didn't see much wildlife in July of '06 but this moose.

It got a little moist on the way back south.

Bundling up for the snow on Atigun Pass

Delta88 is offline   Reply With Quote