Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
kruzuki OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Question on solo travel

OK, so I have 3 weeks off in August.

Me & the G/F are going to do an 8 day road trip to Boston/Rhode Island (You know, Bed & Breakfast, nice hotels, restaurants & all that crap. Rule #1: Gotta keep her happy).

Then I'm doing a 5 day camping/road trip with my son (13yo) to Pennsylvania (he wants to smuggle firecrackers back to Canada). We'll camp in the Allehgheny Forest, maybe catch a Phillies game.

This leaves me with an entire week free. Yipee!!

I decided that I want to do a 4-5 day solo trip. Yes, I do have friends and yes, I could get one of them to go with me, but I think I'd like to do away with the part of the trip that has me tolerating my friend's personality quirks & vice versa.

Throw the camping gear on the bike & go from Toronto, to Deal's Gap & interesting roads in between. Try out some proper BBQ, meet some fellow travellers on the road.

Have a lot of inmates here done solo trips?
I'm an experienced bike traveller, but is there anything unusual to look out for when travelling solo?
Old 07-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
Uglyprimate
UglyPirate

Oddometer: 6,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzuki
Have a lot of inmates here done solo trips?
Bikes have a solo seat for a reason.

I'd guess NOT being solo would be quite the minority.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
ManitouMike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
I prefer to ride alone and so does anyone that rides with me Try it I think you'll like it, especially for only 4 or 5 days.
ManitouMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
JayElDee
not saying what I mean

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
is there anything unusual to look out for when travelling solo?
I don't think so except it is a different experience.

I get more satisfaction out of the solo ride than the group, however small. You won't know until you do it. Some people do not like it, but that is the exception, I think.
John
JayElDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,224
I've spent about 9 months on the road - by myself - since 2006, and I really can't see myself traveling any other way.

It can get a bit hair-raising from time to time - and that gives you opportunities to learn how to think on your feet.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
For a trip that short, solo is a great way to go. Wave at the folks in the next campsite over, they will probably invite you over for a beer and have interesting stories to tell.

Solo, you'll meet new folks. Travel with friends and you stay within the comfort zone of your "pack" more often than not.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Yes, You'll have the opportunity to meet and chat with more folk, if you want to. It's also nice to not have to 'run' each decision past a partner. Stop, start, and goof off on your own. It will give you a chance to think.
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
Pelicanglider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
I always ride in a small group of three - me, myself and I. We enjoy each others company, laugh at the same jokes and we anticipate each others' moves, sometimes even before we make them. Scary!
Pelicanglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,287
I do far more solo rides than group rides. Truth be told I've been known to avoid rides of any real distance with others. I like stopping when I want to stop, not stopping when I don't want to and going wherever my mood dictates.

Do yourself and your loved ones a huge favor, buy and use a spot tracker. it's peace of mind for you and the people who care about you. I know when I'm on the road I've got at least a few sets of eyes on me through out my days
Old 07-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #10
TastyPants
Harasshole

Oddometer: 222
I just did my first solo trip for about 7 days. What everyone else here says is true. You meet people, you go where you want to go, stop when you want to stop. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be doing a lot more solo riding.

+1 on the SPOT tracker. I borrowed one from a friend and it was a fun way for friends and family to join in (and you don't have to deal with them for a few days). Plus it was peace of mind if anything terrible happened and I got myself stuck someone was watching those dots or I could push the help button.

You'll notice that when your alone you are more approachable too. More people felt like it was OK to talk to me since I was by myself. Must have heard "I'm so jealous/envious" about 20 times from another guy while chatting it up at gas stations etc. Met tons of fellow bikers as well.

Nothing special about it compared to group ride except you don't have anyone to help carry communal gear.
TastyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #11
kneeslider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Thumb Lone Traveler

I have always believed that..

"A man who travels alone goes at his own pace!"
Author unknown
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #12
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
I prefer alone.

I have noticed that other people prefer that I reavel alone as well.

Just let people on ADVrider know your loose plans and you'll be surprised how many dinner invites you'll get. You get compnay for an hour or two and some good advice what to see in each area.

If you and your son are in northern WV be sure to check out Dolly Sods.

Have fun.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #13
dfishman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Stop by Willville Bike Camp in Meadows of Dan,Va.It is a great campground for bikes only.Great roads & great people.It is off the Blue Ridge Parkway on HWY 58.
dfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #14
LeftCoastMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by timk519
I've spent about 9 months on the road - by myself - since 2006, and I really can't see myself traveling any other way.

It can get a bit hair-raising from time to time - and that gives you opportunities to learn how to think on your feet.
Any "hair-raising" adventures you'd like to share? Could be lessons for the rest of us. Or it could scare the holy shit out of us.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #15
LeftCoastMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelicanglider
I always ride in a small group of three - me, myself and I. We enjoy each others company, laugh at the same jokes and we anticipate each others' moves, sometimes even before we make them. Scary!
And when you fart in the tent, no one complains.