Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #16
GCRad1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Wicked How does the ATK605 ride vs. the Honda XR400?

[QUOTE=ZuminaZX]How did it fare against the XR?

How does the ATK605 ride vs. the Honda XR400?
The positives:
Well, for starters - POWER! LOTS OF POWER! Now I know how my buddy on his XR650 just powers through everything. You can lug it and then just snap the throttle and power is on tap enough to lift the front tire over sudden obsticles. But, once I get the XR re-build, it could have that big grunt that I never knew as I purchased the bike used.

PLUS IT HAS THAT LITTLE MAGIC E-START BUTTON!!!!

On the Negative:
It's not as refined as the XR. Little things like bolts are not as finished and sorted as the XR. I have yet to do major work on it, but just simple things like taking off side panels, working in the battery box area and the air box is not as refined as the XR's air box. I don't think the ATK605 air filter surface area is as large as the XR's air filter surface area. I will have to get into that soon as I just did three days of riding so I can get a closer look.

Ride, I love my XR! The ATK is good, but just does not have the total refined feeling, but I do have some issues to sort out on the ATK, like rear wheel bearings and shock bushings. It needs a new chain. So, it should come up in "points" once I get these issues sorted out.

I like the light weight of the XR, but the ATK's Rotax motor is light for the size it is.

All in all, I think the ATK605 is more matched up with my desert riding buddies XR650 .
GCRad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #17
GCRad1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Big Bear Ride

My buddies wanted to hit up Big Bear as everyone is mostly transitioning to the desert now. Their thought is, this could be a last ride for the year up in the mountains as from here to April we will spend most of our time is the desert as it is cooling off. Big Bear is our summer riding spot.

Making the early drive out to our meet up spot at the bottom of HWY330.

We are going for the views:

Like this!

The ATK605 taking a break..

Actaully we got where one of our buddies got a flat tire, so went back and sort him out. I carry all the junk in my back pack - tire pump, tire irons, spare tube. BUT, one tool I did not have.... Rear wheel nut wrench! I have my XR400 wrench and did not take into consideration that the ATK could be a diffrent size. So, we decided to stop every so often and pump the tire as it is a slow leak and we will sort it at the top in Big Bear.

HURRY UP!!!

PUMP THAT TIRE... My old MTB Bike pump does the job and all the friends get to jump in and give it a few wacks! That's me sitting down on the job...

We would run up on these guys in the trucks:

And ask if they have an adjustable wrench.

We scored!

The guys in the truck where hunting bear, not getting much "trail" from the dogs so they where time willing. We actaully ran up on quite a few guys hunting deer - from their trucks. I thought that was a funny way to hunt deer. I grew up in Alabama, I know what deer hunting is all about...

And off we go to the top of the mountain for lunch and return for more great riding back.

This is just dropping down off the backside.

The ATK605 is a CHAMP!

The crew:

The last time I came through here, I came from the long way and in my Land Crusier from top of the mountain side and got to here and the gate was closed and had to go all the way back around, so It was great to go all the way through this trail to HWY330.

Little creeks along the way!

Little fatty fattning up for winter.

The last images for the day:

GCRad1 screwed with this post 12-20-2010 at 08:22 AM
Old 11-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #18
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,800
saweet, its a great bike isnt it? wish they were still making them.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #19
GCRad1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Baker & Mojave Desert Ride

My buddy and I planned another little outting. While in Baker, Ca we did some trail hopping on the West side of the 15FWY and then over to the Mojave National Preserve side. Got to love a plated bike!

I had ran through Joshua Tree forest while on the Barstow to Vegas DS ride through this section of Baker and wanted to run a loop through this area again.
Baker Mojave Desert Ride 2010 (1)

Baker Mojave Desert Ride 2010 (3)
Dangers of the desert - mines.

Baker Mojave Desert Ride 2010 (5)
Baker Mojave Desert Ride 2010 (12)
We found this cool little valley.

Baker Mojave Desert Ride 2010 (7)
My trusty steed.

So, after that loop, we jump across the freeway at Halloran Springs Road and into the Mojave Preserve:
Baker Mojave Desert Ride 2010 (23)

Baker Mojave Desert Ride 2010 (22)

Baker Mojave Desert Ride 2010 (29)
Me make our way into an area that has been rarly ridden, like a fire road of sort and has not seen regular riding. So it wound up being an out-and-back.

So it was back across the freeway as we wanted another loop and another canyon, so back across it was:
Baker Mojave Desert Ride 2010 (30)
11-1-10 154
11-1-10 120
The ATK 605 is a fine desert bike! I was rather nervious about not having a steering dampner on the bike like I do with my XR400. But I must say, this bike is very stable without assistance.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #20
GCRad1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Adventure Ride: Primm - Searchlight - Boulder City - Primm

Riding time has been on my side! Another little ride was planned. We would start at the CA/NV stateline and ride towards Searchlight. We thouhg we would be able to traverse the train track a bit, jump across and head up the mountain:
Adventure Ride Primm - Searchlight  - BoulderCity - Primm (7)
Here is John on his big dog XR650R!

We basically ran about 8/10-miles down to the crush-rock slab down to Nipton, jumped on and jumped back off at the first dirt road. We found this nice green hill and traversed our way up around it:
Adventure Ride Primm - Searchlight  - BoulderCity - Primm (25)
Adventure Ride Primm - Searchlight  - BoulderCity - Primm (26)
It was a nice little climb as John is showing us here.

Midway up, we stop as we where destracted:
Adventure Ride Primm - Searchlight  - BoulderCity - Primm (29)
Adventure Ride Primm - Searchlight  - BoulderCity - Primm (33)
Adventure Ride Primm - Searchlight  - BoulderCity - Primm (36)
Adventure Ride Primm - Searchlight  - BoulderCity - Primm (37)

Enough sight seeing, we had some more hill:
Adventure Ride Primm - Searchlight  - BoulderCity - Primm (35)
Adventure Ride Primm - Searchlight  - BoulderCity - Primm (38)
So.... this ended in a short climb to soup-dirt of which we bailed out on and came all the way back down. The spirit of adventure continues...

So, back down, onto the slab and off in a wash at the powerline pointed toward Boulder City, but we will go to Searchlight. We travel down the powerline for a while. We see this interesting area and find the next available trail cutting in and towards Searchlight:
Adventure Ride Primm - Searchlight  - BoulderCity - Primm (42) This was actually the most awesome fun area, sorry - the least photos. But while riding through this area, we stopped, looked at each other and waited to see a Giraffee or elephant... this area just had that look! We said we will come back and explore all of this area again. Looks like some great camping in here as well.

Then, LUNCH!
Adventure Ride Primm - Searchlight  - BoulderCity - Primm (45)
Next time we will have to see if we can find something good and local, but this time we just wanted to eat, get gas and get back in the dirt. We still had a ways to go to get to Boulder City dry lake bed and back over to Primm.

Adventure Ride Primm - Searchlight  - BoulderCity - Primm (46)
GPS check time and tire check time:
Adventure Ride Primm - Searchlight  - BoulderCity - Primm (47)
This tire was brand new four rides ago... Going to go MAXXIS next time!

After following lines across the desert and looking for that "general direction" road bak to Primm, we finally connected to the right line/road/canyon and should be in the "general direction" towards Primm, but more importantly we are going up. Going up is good as we have a major ridge to get across.
Adventure Ride Primm - Searchlight  - BoulderCity - Primm (50)
Looking back towards Boulder City.

Adventure Ride Primm - Searchlight  - BoulderCity - Primm (53)
Adventure Ride Primm - Searchlight  - BoulderCity - Primm (54)
Somewhere up on the ridge is John making his way up.

Up at the top, we can see the dry lake on the Vegas side of Primm:
Adventure Ride Primm - Searchlight  - BoulderCity - Primm (67)

A look back at this shack of sort:
Adventure Ride Primm - Searchlight  - BoulderCity - Primm (57)

Riding buddies:
Adventure Ride Primm - Searchlight  - BoulderCity - Primm (65)

on a great ride:
Adventure Ride Primm - Searchlight  - BoulderCity - Primm (68)
111, yes, one hundred and eleven miles of great riding!

These boot are so over-done!
Adventure Ride Primm - Searchlight  - BoulderCity - Primm (1)
Old 12-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #21
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
One tidbit, replace the timing belt once a year, unless you want to chance it breaking and eating the valves and piston.

I got a pair of ATK 260LQ's in the shop, Rotax two strokes. Great bikes.
I would trade the 2000 KTM LC4 Enduro in the yard tomorrow straight across for a 605 without hesitation.

ATK quit making them because the tool dies was worn out and Rotax said no more, unless ATK furnished the cash to retool. Plus they was loosing the Flat-Track Market when they downsized to 450cc.

ATK could've had the 450 Rotax that BMW uses, and the Rotax 650 water cooled mill and passed on both of them. My source said he thinks it was a money issue at ATK is the reason they didn't pursue the Rotax engine instead of the Obsolete Cannondale stuff.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #22
Huskyfatman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,011
Cool ride report, when was that? I rode my ATK around Boulder City and it was super cloudy today. Would have been funny to run into you guys, but I didn't get out that far. Thanks for sharing.

"So I think the WR250R is a primo dual sport, especially for trout bums"-Jäger
Huskyfatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #23
GCRad1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Atk 605 rear axle service

Time to do some service work to the ATK. Basically I learned from the Baja bike verterans about polishing the rear axle for ease of use. Race spec preperation is "the details." There is a bigger purpose for sorting out the back wheel, but that will be shown later.
ATK 605 Rear Axle Service
You can see the crusty axle, slider blocks, washer and bolt.

Yep, crusty - but at least it's in good shape.

I used a scotchbright pad to smooth out the crusty dry axle and when it goes back into the bike, it will get the waterproof greese treatment.

Here is the axle prepped and you can see how good it looks compared to the other crusty items.

Detail of the cleaned axle.

Here are all the parts cleaned up and ready to go back to work... once other things are sorted.

I got some stuff to do:
THE TO DO LIST - ATK 605
But unfortunately I will not get back on this until after the holiday. It's pouring rain outside in Southern California anyhow - for the past two day!

GCRad1 screwed with this post 12-20-2010 at 07:46 AM
Old 12-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #24
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Paoli Blue Steel 46mm : Same as 2000 Honda XR650R Flanders Part number 401-90155
Fork Seal Size: 46x58x10.5/11mm
Rear Brake Rotor Shark fin: Deval for 99 KTM: Needs minor filing along top to clear swingarm.
Rear sprockets same as RM 250
Chain Guide shell: The stock is flimsy caused me to not finish race: Carbon Fiber Shell YZ250
Paoli Fork bushings, Get Bushing kit for CR500
Seems like I remember being told the front brake rotor can be changed to a 270mm KTM part.
The rear Brake Rotor is ATK specific so even if yours is good I suggest getting a spare for
later. Never know if ATK will be around tomorrow for parts.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #25
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,800
awesome, love seeing other 605's being ridden and used.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:35 AM   #26
velofleche
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
97 CCM Factory Dakar

Totally new here came across this thread and forum whilst on a general search Rotax-Can Am- ATK and associated Carb/fuel and general fuel economy improvements.
I have a 97 CCM Factory Dakar model, the original one of three, and their first entry level in the Dakar event, but that's another story.
Contemplating blowing the dust off the beast and re-evaluating it's form and desired function as a potentially healthy performing dual sport bike. First and foremost concerns are regarding the fuel economy, not the range. Due to the enormous main tank and two auxiliaries either side, currently off machine.
Basically economy over performance. This is the third Rotax i've owned and my needs are for greater hwy potential, so far as fuel economy and trying to smooth out the performance characteristics, of an otherwise stock dirt bike. I am really wanting to experiment in creating a good all round performer. But fuel economy is hugely important to me!!
greatly appreciate any feedback, or contacts, leads etc. I would hope to get somewhere in the 50 mpg plus range? Any suggestions? Thanks, Fleche
velofleche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:07 PM   #27
GCRad1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I would call Lee personally at ATK! Call the shop at 801.298.8288 I do not want to give out his personal number. Lee has been the biggest help in me keeping my ATK running top notch and he's been with ATK for some time!

I'm sure your issue is simply with the jetting of the carb, so a nice clean re-build should have you sorted and will just take a little tuning.

Get a build thread going so we can see this bike!!!

On my bike, I have a lot of posting to do here as I have been a little busy working on the bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by velofleche View Post
Totally new here came across this thread and forum whilst on a general search Rotax-Can Am- ATK and associated Carb/fuel and general fuel economy improvements.
I have a 97 CCM Factory Dakar model, the original one of three, and their first entry level in the Dakar event, but that's another story.
Contemplating blowing the dust off the beast and re-evaluating it's form and desired function as a potentially healthy performing dual sport bike. First and foremost concerns are regarding the fuel economy, not the range. Due to the enormous main tank and two auxiliaries either side, currently off machine.
Basically economy over performance. This is the third Rotax i've owned and my needs are for greater hwy potential, so far as fuel economy and trying to smooth out the performance characteristics, of an otherwise stock dirt bike. I am really wanting to experiment in creating a good all round performer. But fuel economy is hugely important to me!!
greatly appreciate any feedback, or contacts, leads etc. I would hope to get somewhere in the 50 mpg plus range? Any suggestions? Thanks, Fleche
Old 11-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #28
GCRad1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Get The Green Gunk Out!!!

WOW! A year and 11-months since my last technical post! So sorry! I have missed much riding! But I did buy two Honda XR100's for the kids and one has BBR "adult" springs front and rear, so I have been sneaking in some tight trail riding on one of those while also spending time teaching my girls how to ride in preparation for "DESERT SEASON" which is NOW! Plus, I have been seriously working on the Toyota Land Cruiser, so lots of distractions from my bikes!

So time to get the ATK-BEAST back in ACTION!!!

Stripping the bike down for a little maintenance and this is the first time I get to take a good look at the ATK frame design.

The backbone of the ATK frame is pretty crazy!

The bike seems to be not be doing so good as it will start, then sputter and have to tear the float bowl off to get it going again - but riding is so fun! So its time to clean the whole fuel system from the gas tank to the carb!

I start with removing the gas cockpit and disassemble.

Remove the cockpit main body and filter from the gas tank.

You can see some gunk in main artery of the cockpit.

View from the other side and you can see the clogging! Elizabeth! It's the big one honey!

We get that all cleaned out and smooth as a whistle!

Lets add in one of these fuel filters while we are doing all this fun little detail work.

Now we have the cockpit reassembled and ready to install back into the gas tank.

Lets dig into the carburetor.

I remove the slide valve out of the carb so we can get a close inspection of the needle.

Holy green gunk! This California gas has a lot of I don't know what in it!

So I may as well take the whole carb out and get into it.

This needs some serious cleaning as this is where the issue is every time when in goes into spudder mode...

I see how much "algae" is growing in here!

Some Gumout Carb + Choke Cleaner is used to bust the green stuff out. Then Meguiar's Cleaner wax?????.....
Yea, I need to just go buy a new jet, but you know how the late hours are when everything is closed. The wax does a dang good job of cleaning the parts up.

At least its all clean for now. I will see how it goes from here but I know I am going to wind up removing the carb again and getting that jet replaced.

More work to come...
Old 11-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #29
GCRad1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

New Bearings Loaded

Doing a little inspection after noticing some rear wheel wobble and noticed the rear wheel had some bearing slop so it was off to the bearing supply house and source some new bearings.

I purchase my bearings from Eureka Bearing & Supply
5272 System Drive Huntington Beach, Ca 92649
714-895-3555 Toll Free: 1-800-535-2888 Fax: 714-895-1266
www.eurekabearing.com/

Its well worth the effort getting bearings from them if you are willing to do you homework and spec your bearings. You call or walk in and tell them the year, make and model and they are going to look at you funny.

Once I get the bearings home I like to do a little upgrade:

I pull the dust shield off and take out the juice.

And load up the bearings with a little extra protection.

All the bearings are packed and loaded. This just give me a little bit more piece of mind and longevity for the bearings.

While I have the back wheel off, it was time to load up some new KNOBBIES!!!
I will give the MAXXIS Desert a try:

Get the wheel back on and give it the free-spin whirl!
Old 11-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #30
Rot Box
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Awesome! I sometimes wish I had one of those goofy framed ATK's