Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,159
My KLR Needs To Go On A Diet & Me Too!

Hi!

Just got back from riding the Colorado and the first half of Utah TAT again. Ride Report is here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596373 Rode my cousin's x Challenge for a while on the trip. My god! It is nice! Power and light weight! I have a built up rear shock and progressive springs, plus emulators on the front of my 2002 KLR with 66,502 miles. Now I need to take a look at weight! What are y'all doing? Start with the cheap stuff, it is a KLR after all! Thanks!

Donnie
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,159
Anybody using one of these: DG O-Series Slip-On exhaust? Seems pretty cheap at $160 with free shipping on ebay. Anybody know the weight savings and power increase? Thanks!

Donnie
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:32 AM   #3
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Only thing to gain with a slipon is weight.

Look at this thread for weight savings:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464503
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
jackcane
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Anybody using one of these: DG O-Series Slip-On exhaust? Seems pretty cheap at $160 with free shipping on ebay. Anybody know the weight savings and power increase? Thanks!

Donnie
My KLR came with one. It's much lighter, enough to feel the difference. It's also really loud and had to take it off because riding the highway was killing me.
jackcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:53 AM   #5
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,536
I just recently added the DG slip on. According to my scale, which is not the best. It was 6 lbs lighter than the original. I have an 2011 KLR. I also added some pro taper handle bars. Lost about 2 lbs. I removed the original
license plate holder, and junk. That saved another 4 lbs. I don't think this would help you on the 02.
I am thinking of getting a Shorai, battery next. Could save as much as 7 lbs, from the original 10lb battery.
The footpegs are probalby another 3lbs. Once I get the battery I am looking at about 22 lbs. taken off the bike.
Most of the wieght is up high. Which you can feel when riding off road. The bike is still a pig! But it does help.

The DG slip on is loud. I don't really ride for long periods of time on the hwy so it is fine with me. I rejetted, and
and did the air box mod. So far this is the best running KLR I have owned. I had an 03, and 08. I do plan on getting
the Moab shock and respringing the front. Moab shock is almost 2 lbs lighter than the original. So I am getting
close to 25lbs. Not too bad.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote