Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
ozmikl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
North East USA and a bit of Canada (sub titled "a change of plans")

This tome should really be titled.....
How do you go from this to this!

Trans Labrador Highway

Scotts shed, Bismark North Dakota

A quick background briefing.....
I am an Aussie from Melbourne and work in the construction industry, last year between contracts I hopped a flight to LA hired a GS and did a 23 day tour of California, Oregon, Washington State and a corner of Nevada and had probably the best holiday I have ever had, no plans no idea where I was going but planned to take all minor roads and byways.
This year, same circumstance and an idea to do Mexico, wrong said the bike hire guys not with our bike! Solution? I will buy a bike in the US and do what ever the hell I want to. This lead me to discover the fantastic resource that is Advrider and a few of you had pm queries re the bikes that were advertised on the forum.
I ended up purchasing an 05 GS from a forum member in Delaware, Rich couldn't (and as I am typing this in his house, still can't) do enough for me and I have made a great friend!

Rich, Wyatt and Duke

Now the above circumstances leads us to the "can't make up my mind beareau"
So Mexico here I come? WRONG, before I left Oz I had made up my mind to blast across the plains to Colorado then spend 5 weeks touring the Rockies from Col Northwards then to California or Arizona to leave the bike for my next trip, you guessed it.... Mexico!
Wrong again I have now fallen for Eastern US's charms and am going to do a bit of a Civil War loop and then go up to NovaScotia and Newfoundland then cut across Southern Canada to maybe the Dakotas, Montana and South.
So with the change of plans Mexico gets pushed back another year and Colorado etc. slipped into Mexico's place in 2011.

Now here is where you can help, any suggestions? I have the first few days worked out and the basic plan (as outlined above) sorted as Rich and his wife did the trip a couple of years ago.... but it's a big country up there and any ideas will be gratefully recieved.

I will be updating this thread every few days and if I ever get photo posting sorted I will err post photo's

Michael

Loaded up outside Rich's house in Delaware

My first covered bridge somewhere near Wilmington DE

I am a sucker for curved timber!

EDIT, I have put some of these pics in as an edit so if they appear when or prior to my text reading "I can't figure out how to post a pic" this is the reason.

ozmikl screwed with this post 03-24-2011 at 02:59 PM
ozmikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:26 AM   #2
gs1000s
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Almost anywhere in New England. Try Vermont, rte 100, rte 30 rte 17, rte 125 in the northern areas. New Hampshire has some wonderful off the beaten path roads. Maine, well.......rte 4 is nice and the coast line can't be beat, just a ton of traffic. like rte 1 can be hell in the southern half.

As to history, Massachusetts is full of our countries history.

When are you doing Nova Scotia? check out www.novascotia.com
and find the motorcycle guide, great ideas on there.

I'm heading that way August 1
gs1000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:20 AM   #3
ozmikl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi GS I am leaving Delaware tomorrow, 16th July and heading to Gettysburg then up to the Andirondak Mountains and East to Maine probably hit the coast at Bar Harbour on Tuesday or Wednesday then North.
I have just found the Trans Labrador Highway and will probably do that on the way back and cut West through Saguenay to Winnipeg and then down into the Dakota's and Montana...... it's going to be one hell of a trip.
I am still trying to decide wether to run the tourances again or change to the tkc's for the dirt.
I will pm you with my contact info.
Thanks for the heads up with the novascotia.com it was helpful. My friends here in Delaware did the Nova/Newfoundland trip a year or so ago and that is what changed my mind from heading straight out West.
Michael

Video edit below.......It was so bloody hot in Delaware that even the squirrels were shagged!

ozmikl screwed with this post 04-29-2011 at 03:05 AM
Old 07-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer: 796
hey Oz.

NS is great place to ride, to get there from DE. i would stay away from NY city and Boston unless you want to vist those city. traffic is just so bad around those two cities. I would head north either threw, up state NY or VT then head east. once you get into the green MTs of VT, east threw top of NH then across maine, I would ride PEI and Cape Breton when you get to NS.

I would also stay up in Canada to head west towards SD, Quebec is a great place to ride, go up over the lakes then cross back in to USA in Minnesoda. just what i would do,

I am head out from Boston to Thunder Bay, Ontario at end of month to meet a buddy who is riding east from Alaska, if you like let me knon when you plan on doing your trip and will be Happy to suggest some more roads and routes and places to stay.

more thing, as soon as you get into NS from NB get off trans can and take rt6, sunrise trail, Trans Can sucks, it is a superslab.
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
ozmikl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

GS & Sailor, thanks for the advice
Michael
Old 07-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
ozmikl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well I got away from Wilmington and took the easy route..... after dropping my Garmin I am back to maps, that in itself is no problem, man the easy route was so full of traffic it was the slowest trip imaginable to New Oxford, 10 miles east of Gettysburg.

The B&B I stayed in in New Oxford, owned by a great couple Bob & Elizabeth made me feel so at home.

Bob & Elizabeth, mine hosts.

Town square New Oxford, the history round here blows me away

What sights have these cellar covers seen, who's boots have trod on them

It was a nice morning strolling around the Gettysburg museum and battlefields. With so many war dead the place must be full of ghosts, I may even take the "Ghost tour" tonight, see what happens.
I can't beleive that after years of reading Civil War history here I am standing on the field of probably the most famous battle(s) and my bloody camera battery is flat!
Over the next few days the fun should begin, I may have to look into a new GPS though it is really hard to plot a route with a map to keep away from the major roads will post my "duct tape" GPS solution soon it is so simple and does actually work!
The bike is sensational and I am very happy with it so thanks Rich.

A PA creek somewhere

Under canvas Adarondaks

My little mate the inch worm... as I was doing my diary this bloke wandered onto the page, I kept relocating him but it didn't matter where or how far he just kept coming back.

Your correspondent

The scenery is mindblowing through New York State.

More great architecture, Bear Lake

So here I am blasting off to Farmington when I come around a corner and here is 2 guys pushing / rolling a 6 foot high globe of the world up the road, fair enough says I as I chuckle into my helmet, so on I go and about 10 miles later here is Superman carrying an American Flag (well what else I guess after years of fighting for the American way amongst other things) and also walking up the road, not sure what happened to his flying there must have been cryptonite about! I really wish I ahd stopped for a chat!

Diary sketch showing my close encounters of the 4th and 5th kind.....

ozmikl screwed with this post 07-22-2011 at 09:38 PM
Old 07-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #7
ozmikl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Friedericton hiatus

I have made it to Canada, Fredericton, New Brunswick actually.

Before I left Delaware I thought I would be clever (you can smell the disaster unfolding already, can't you? The GS came with 2 new sets of TKC's so I thought I would ride the remaining life out of the Tourances and freight a set of TKC's to Fredericton NB in readiness for the dirt to come.
Down to my local UPS with 2 tyres (yes we Aussies spell it with a "y") taped together with gaffer tape in 4 places, the UPS girl rings to see if it is ok to send them like this and gets approval so off they go to F'ton and will arrive at the bike shop that I had arranged to recieve and eventually fit on Monday.....perfect as I will arrive on Wednesday so even with a day or 2 delay in freight the timing will still be ok.

Lesson # 1..... when in another country don't get too smart for your own good.

After a great but slow ride through PA,VT, NY,NH, ME, when I say slow I mean traffic, really I should have stayed on the SuperSlab but I hate Freeways so dodged off and took minor roads, but with these reigons because of the density of population there is a town every few miles and with the acompanying speed limits, it makes for slow (but very scenic) progress.
I pull into the bike shop (Phils in New Brunswick) to let them know I am here and to hopefully get the tyres fitted only to have the bad news that UPS have been leaving voice mail messages for me (on my Cell) that there is an inadequate description on the tyres and they need more information before they send them through customs.

Lesson # 2..... UPS are dumb s^*%s

They couldn't work out that the 2 largish black hoops of rubber were in fact tyres apparently and needed to talk to me for my confirmation that that is in fact what they were..... tyres. So the mystery objects sat forelornly in a corner of a bonding warehouse in Montreal awaiting the settlement of lots of bets from bored bonding agents on exactly what the use of these things was. Maybe they sat around them in a circle at night and poked them with a stick trying to provoke a response, sat them on an alter and prayed to them or put a piece of ply on top with a nice little tablecloth and a vase of maple leaves.... who knows but I could imagine the relief on their faces when it was revealed that they were in fact motorcycle tyres and were in fact MY property and could safely be sent on their way to Fredericton.

Lesson # 3..... Bonding agents and Canadian Customs people went to the same school. (refer lesson no 2)

Due to arrive in Fredericton today, Thursday, guaranteed says the lovely UPS girl on the phone this morning (Thursday) so I stay another day here and take stock, re pack my gear and pour over maps in readiness for the adventure ahead.

Lesson # 4..... UPS are dumb s*^%s

Diary note re the uses for my tyres

They didn't arrive of course but tomorrow is another day and it will dawn full of hope and life...... until I ring UPS of course.

But I digress, during my charge across the Union I was putting some serious miles on the old girl on Tuesday and although tired (note for you Muricans NO Y in this tired so I am sleepy ok, remember my tYres are in a bond house) but hit my second wind and kept going past many a pleasant looking Inn so it gets to about 8pm and I ride past a motel with 2 GS's and an 800 parked outside so on go the brakes...you gotta love that ABS... and I pull in.
I have always noticed that when travelling there are lots of Karmic things going on, you know things happen for a reason and in return for deeds done in the past. It turns out that the 3 Beemers belonged to some Adv'ers that had just done the exact loop that I am going on, fortuitous meeting for info and great guys, thanks for the tips fella's.

Eric Gale and Robert (ADV'ers extrodinaire)

I still can't work out how to post pics but I am sure I will, stay tuned as I hit Prince Eward Island and feast on lobster, Novascotia where I am sure I will ferk up the Ferry times and Newfoundland.... can't wait for the next few days........ Once my tyres turn up that is.
Michael

ozmikl screwed with this post 03-24-2011 at 04:50 AM
Old 07-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,648
If you make it into Maryland, and desire a bit of company around the Antietam Battelfield, hit me up. I live in Boonsboro, right up the road, and may be able to assist. Or help out in any other capacity.

Let me know.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
ozmikl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Mule

Way too much gear on board, the bag on the passenger seat really ended up surplus
and I should have left it at Rich's to forward on but I was not sure what the trip would bring.

My full camping kit.... tent & poles, sleepingbag, 2 groundsheets, matress, Jet Boil
and a bottle of water in one pannier, these pics were taken at the end of the trip.

ozmikl screwed with this post 03-24-2011 at 03:01 AM
Old 07-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
ozmikl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The CHEAPEST GPS & the most EXPENSIVE earplug holder

I dropped and broke my GPS on the day I left Delaware, so a good solution.... always have a map on hand!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:02 PM   #11
ozmikl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi
If you make it into Maryland, and desire a bit of company around the Antietam Battelfield, hit me up. I live in Boonsboro, right up the road, and may be able to assist. Or help out in any other capacity.

Let me know.
Ragin, that would have been great but Im way too far north now, next time mate!
Michael
Old 07-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #12
ozmikl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Anyone in PEI, Novascotia, Newfoundland or Labrador want to catch up?
Michael
Old 07-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #13
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,007
If you get into Alberta, you should make it a point to visit the Banff & Jasper areas.

Enjoy this year's trip, Mexico will still be there.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #14
ozmikl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJP?
If you get into Alberta, you should make it a point to visit the Banff & Jasper areas.

Enjoy this year's trip, Mexico will still be there.
Ha that's what I reckon, I am having a blast and sooo looking forward to the next 5 weeks, my girl is flying out from OZ on the 21st of August to do the trip down the Californian coast then we fly back home and get into planning the next trip.
Ruth used to live in Calgary so it is on the plans maybe the year after!
Michael
Old 07-22-2010, 09:21 PM   #15
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer: 796
sound like your having a great trip,

I have family up in canada, to ship them anything is a hugh pian in ass.

once you get to PEI traffic should not be a issue,

i am head west going threw montreal on july 30th maybe i will see you up there
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote