Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #46
B DIRT OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
We got our high cube for 2500 delivered and it's green, even says so
on the side. It should stay that way forever too.

Rocker Yes! End of thread, thats what I was looking for
Old 07-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #47
Mr. J
Banned

Oddometer: 9,655
[quote=B DIRT....could I build an equivelant size stick room for around the same money? ....[/quote]

a thought: build square.

example: a 10' x 10' building = 100 square feet

40' perimeter

a 4' x 25' building = 100 square feet

58' perimeter

18 extra feet of everything. i think this is roughly almost 50% more if i could figure out the mathamagics
Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:34 AM   #48
Renaissance Ronin
ISBU Idiot Savant

Oddometer: 57
Cool2 Are you talking about ME? Cuz if you're talking about ME...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRip
(see that ren ronin link first few posts).
Different parts of the country might make a difference too. If you live at my mom's house, you can probably get by with no worries about more lax on the code violations and such. But I don't know how you can stand her cooking.
I'm that Renaissance Ronin guy.

I write a pretty well known blog on ISBU (Shipping Container) Construction called;

The Life and Times of a Renaissance Ronin.

In fact, I just released a book about ISBU construction titled:

Introduction to Container Homes and Buildings.

Here's the dealeo;

You can do it yourself, and you can do it for under $50 a square foot. (If you can weld, use a plasma cutter, and cauterize your own wounds, you'll pay even less.)

Contrary to what those profit-seeking leeches say, you don't have to spend $100 a foot, unless you WANT to.

For $40 a foot, you can build a pretty impressive house.

Built to this level, the old lady won't take your skoot and ride for parts "elsewhere" and you'll get an energy efficient, affordable, sustainable home, made of STEEL. And the money you say will pay for that kegerator that you always wanted to put next to the Barkalounger in the Living Room.

Some of my newest (finished) homes came in at under $38 a foot. We're talking three bedroom, 2 bath, radiant in floor heat, stained and polished concrete floors, solar hot water, hardiplanked (to keep the neighbors from rioting when they saw the corrugation) beauties that will be more energy efficient than anything in the neighborhood.

Why do I keep stressing that? Because that comes out of your pocket in the form of utility bills each month. The more you save... well... the more you save!

Don't believe me? Read the blog.

Renaissance Ronin screwed with this post 07-22-2010 at 01:18 AM
Renaissance Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:46 AM   #49
Renaissance Ronin
ISBU Idiot Savant

Not always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
You gotta look at it this way. The entire home industry is geared around "stick building from nothing". Everything is designed to make this as easy and as cheap as possible. Any time you deviate from that kind of norm, you're talking more money.
You'd think that, but you might be surprised. I help families build shipping container (ISBU) Homes everyday.

And I've been doing it since 1977.

I've built more than my own share of them. Congress called me after Haiti, and architects and developers call me weekly.

Like any kind of Construction, it's about using your head and thinking things through. K.I.S.S. - remember?

My last few ISBU homes (3 bdrm/2 bath) cost under $40 a foot to build. And they are far stronger, far more energy efficient, and just as comfortable as any home surrounding them. And, they just appraised for over double the construction value.

I write a blog called:

I just wrote a book called:

While I could have sold it for $20 0r $30 bucks... It'll cost you about the same as a decent lunch at Mickey D's...

Why? I want to help families, not line my pockets. Times are hard enough, aren't they?

RRonin
Old 07-22-2010, 12:54 AM   #50
beefjerky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Ronin
You'd think that, but you might be surprised. I help families build shipping container (ISBU) Homes everyday.

And I've been doing it since 1977.

I've built more than my own share of them. Congress called me after Haiti, and architects and developers call me weekly.

Like any kind of Construction, it's about using your head and thinking things through. K.I.S.S. - remember?

My last few ISBU homes (3 bdrm/2 bath) cost under $40 a foot to build. And they are far stronger, far more energy efficient, and just as comfortable as any home surrounding them. And, they just appraised for over double the construction value.

I write a blog called:

I just wrote a book called:

While I could have sold it for $20 0r $30 bucks... It'll cost you about the same as a decent lunch at Mickey D's...

Why? I want to help families, not line my pockets. Times are hard enough, aren't they?

RRonin

What's the best way to insulate and finish off the interior? I'm currently looking to build a workshop.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:14 AM   #51
Renaissance Ronin
ISBU Idiot Savant

Workshops are different than homes... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefjerky
What's the best way to insulate and finish off the interior? I'm currently looking to build a workshop.
I'll assume that you're talking about a single container, with nothing stacked above it.

I'm a huge believer in putting the insulation on the OUTSIDE of the building when using ISBUs.

EXCEPT when it's a workshop, where you'll be generating a large amount of noise.

If you're not making a huge amount of noise, then by all means, insulate the outside of the container and then cover it with siding, vinyl, stone, brick, or hardiplank.

BUT... If you're working on skoots, you're gonna want to knock down the rumble to a low roar, and that means that your insulation should help acoustically.

I don't use fiberglass batts. It starts going south before you got it. Get it wet, what have you got? Crap.

I use SPF (Spray Polyurethane Foam), almost exclusively anymore.

This is the only time I shoot SPF onto the interior of a container. Machine shops, or S&S (or even REVTECH) anything... you want to be able to hear when you get home. Otherwise the old lady will be hollering at you for nothing... forever. :)

3 inches of SPF will get you an r18-21 on the walls. It'll keep cold out, heat in, and your ears from bursting and bleeding. There's lots of options after that. Cover it in sheetrock. On the ceiling, shoot it with SPF until you get to about r42. Leave it exposed, or cover it up, it's a workshop, not your wife's bathroom. It's already water resistant, vapor resistant, and a sound deadener.

You CAN do it yourself, You can buy the SPF 2 part kits. It's not hard, I've taught 14 year old kids to do it on job sites. (Yes, we supervised them...)

People hear about using shipping containers and they get all bent out of shape because they fail to see that they are just non-corrosive steel building blocks. After you've removed the flooring and replaced it (Shipping Container flooring is POISON. It's TOXIC. Yes, it can kill you with high enough exposure to it), it's just a frame to build off of.

People who talk about them negatively usually have never even worked on one. It's just myths and folklore.

It's why I wrote the book.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:58 AM   #52
sweepster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
Laugh

I am a comms engineer and do stuff for remote sites here in Western Australia ...

Anyway one job I did was at a Mobile Remote Camp ... they used shipping containers ..

Depending on its designated function it was either a single unit ( accomadation ) or 2 or 3 bolted together to make an office or a mess ... they cut the sides ... added a beam top and bottom and literally bolted the suckers together ... cheap and effective ...

Inside they were lined with insulation ( like polystyrene ) and lined with melemine ( sp ? ) ... nice finish

Abit of flashing over the joints and all was good

I have some pics if you are interested ...
sweepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:40 AM   #53
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,397
Hey Ronin, even though my container is Evergreen, I'd like to paint it to blend in with the surroundings. Can you recommend a type of paint that doesn't require a lot of prep, preferably just shoot it on? Thanks!
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:01 AM   #54
CGH
Polluting the ether

Oddometer: 19,953
Alright... now we're getting somewhere.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:55 AM   #55
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle
It needs a crosswalk and a central staircase.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #56
Renaissance Ronin
ISBU Idiot Savant

Cool2 Peek-a-Boo ISBU

Quote:
Hey Ronin, even though my container is Evergreen, I'd like to paint it to blend in with the surroundings. Can you recommend a type of paint that doesn't require a lot of prep, preferably just shoot it on? Thanks!
Um... When I play with green containers in the woods, I usually go another direction. I have a cheap, really easy to make "spray" that enhances the oxidation process, thus turning that green eyesore of yours into a Camouflaged Steel Fortress in the woods.

And you can spray it on using a garden sprayer like you use for liquid fertilizer or weed control.

Then you just sit back and watch, When your Container pulls a "Copperfield" you just rinse the container off with a good dousing of water (called "rainfall") and the box becomes an organic thing of beauty.

I do it when I'm building "Fall-Backs" or "Bug-Outs" with great success.

Let me know if you want more details.

RRonin
Old 07-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #57
Renaissance Ronin
ISBU Idiot Savant

Adam Kalkin's "Hangar House" is cool, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTATANGO
It needs a crosswalk and a central staircase.
As someone who's played the Corten Two-Step for decades, I'm here to tell you that Adam Kalkin does have some cool ideas. I actually admire the guy, even if he is a "handful." Most creative people are.

But the home that is being referred to here will require more AC and heat than most people can afford in spite of it's energy efficiency.

There are better ways. And more affordable ways too.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #58
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Ronin
Um... When I play with green containers in the woods, I usually go another direction. I have a cheap, really easy to make "spray" that enhances the oxidation process, thus turning that green eyesore of yours into a Camouflaged Steel Fortress in the woods.

And you can spray it on using a garden sprayer like you use for liquid fertilizer or weed control.

Then you just sit back and watch, When your Container pulls a "Copperfield" you just rinse the container off with a good dousing of water (called "rainfall") and the box becomes an organic thing of beauty.

I do it when I'm building "Fall-Backs" or "Bug-Outs" with great success.

Let me know if you want more details.

RRonin
Would you have a pic or two of what that looks like? Thanks
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #59
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,671
Quote:
Would you have a pic or two of what that looks like? Thanks

z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #60
Elburrito
Donkey